PDA

View Full Version : Worst Seats In Baseball

sbsox
07-02-2007, 07:35 PM
We were having a discusion at work today about which ballpark has the furthest seats from the playing field. Is anyone aware of a ballpark site that might have that information?

Dead center field in the upper deck of Candlestick Park was the furthest I have ever been from the playing field...

TDog
07-02-2007, 07:39 PM
We were having a discusion at work today about which ballpark has the furthest seats from the playing field. Is anyone aware of a ballpark site that might have that information?

Dead center field in the upper deck of Candlestick Park was the furthest I have ever been from the playing field...

From the base of the scoreboard at Old Comiskey, when I was a kid, I saw the swing before I heard the crack of the bat. But I'm sure I did (in those days) and does (today) get worse.

Soxfanspcu11
07-02-2007, 08:02 PM

That's funny that you say that.

In June of 2004, I was at a Giants/Toronto BlueJays game at their new park, SBC Park or whatever it's called today. I was in the very last row of the upperdeck. But even though we were in the last row, the seats weren't that bad.

They must have changed it at the new place.

For me, the furthest that I have ever sat was down the right field line at the then called Bank One Ballpark (BOB) in Phoenix.

VERY COOL stadium but we had the craziest seats EVER!

They were so high up and slanted, I thought that I was going to die! WAAAAYYY worse than Comiskey used to be.

Right-field line, upper deck at that ballpark, WHEW! It can be overwhelming!

MUsoxfan
07-02-2007, 08:12 PM
This answer is simple and I experienced them on Thursday night. The back 5 rows of the Mezzanine level at Shea Stadium are the worst seats at the worst stadium I've ever been to

Soxfanspcu11
07-02-2007, 08:21 PM
This answer is simple and I experienced them on Thursday night. The back 5 rows of the Mezzanine level at Shea Stadium are the worst seats at the worst stadium I've ever been to

I know that Shea is widely considered as one of the worst parks, and I have heard all the horror stories.

But what is so bad in particular about the back 5 rows of the Mezzanine?

NDSox12
07-02-2007, 08:35 PM
I'm not sure what are the worst seats in baseball, but I'd wager that the furthest seats from home plate would be the top row of the upper deck in dead center in RFK Stadium... or maybe the Metrodome.

I was going to say Dolphins Stadium, but they don't even sell those seats except for their occasional World Series appearances.

MUsoxfan
07-02-2007, 08:49 PM
I know that Shea is widely considered as one of the worst parks, and I have heard all the horror stories.

But what is so bad in particular about the back 5 rows of the Mezzanine?

We were in the 2nd row of the Mezzanine in RF and moved back later to escape the rain. From the back rows of the mezzanine, a large part of the OF wall wasn't visible...nor was a fairly large part of the field. There was no way to see where ANY ball hit in the air may be traveling.

RowanDye
07-02-2007, 09:28 PM

I know Fenway has some "obstructed view" seats where you can't see the pitcher or the catcher. Some years they have reduced the price of these seats.

All the seats on the baseline past third or first in the Metrodome are bad, because they are angled straight for football games.

Brewers stadium has the obstructed view "Uecker seats" which are obviously pretty bad, but they only cost $1.

Finally, before the renovation at USCF, the Upper Deck seats were some of the worst in baseball. They didn't call them the nosebleeds for nothing, it was a perilous journey that caused real physiological effects on your body.

PKalltheway
07-02-2007, 10:54 PM
In my only game I went to at Wrigley Field, my view of right field was partially obstructed by a support beam (I was sitting down the right field line). I saw everything else during the game, but whenever something came into right field, I had to literally get up and look at the play. I also sat in the 4th deck Yellow seats in left field at now defunct Cinergy Field, which were pretty bad seats too.

Even though I've never been to these particular places, I'd say the center field upper deck at RFK would be the worst seats in baseball, with the Shea Stadium upper deck being a close second.

FedEx227
07-03-2007, 12:06 AM
Worst I've had

Upper Deck Left Field at Old Busch Stadium. Any seat where I can't see the left fielder or center fielder is NOT good.

SoXPriDe33
07-03-2007, 12:12 AM
That's funny that you say that.

In June of 2004, I was at a Giants/Toronto BlueJays game at their new park, SBC Park or whatever it's called today. I was in the very last row of the upperdeck. But even though we were in the last row, the seats weren't that bad.

They must have changed it at the new place.

For me, the furthest that I have ever sat was down the right field line at the then called Bank One Ballpark (BOB) in Phoenix.

VERY COOL stadium but we had the craziest seats EVER!

They were so high up and slanted, I thought that I was going to die! WAAAAYYY worse than Comiskey used to be.

Right-field line, upper deck at that ballpark, WHEW! It can be overwhelming!

I liked the BOB too when I was there but you're right those seats are crazy. I was 1 row from the very top with my family and my sister actually got a nose bleed from being so high.

TDog
07-03-2007, 12:53 AM
I liked the BOB too when I was there but you're right those seats are crazy. I was 1 row from the very top with my family and my sister actually got a nose bleed from being so high.

I remember going to a game at the BOB in 1998 or 1999 and walking up nearly vertical steps, like a ladder in a submarine, to get to an upper level. The last game I attended at Jack Murphy Stadium, I sat in temporary bleachers set up behind other seats in the rightfield corner.

I sat in the last row of the upper deck in New Comiskey in 2000 and didn't think the seats were that bad. I was behind third base, though. If I were in the outfield, it might have been as bad as sitting on a rooftop across the street from Wrigley Field.

DSpivack
07-03-2007, 01:11 AM
Worst I've had

Upper Deck Left Field at Old Busch Stadium. Any seat where I can't see the left fielder or center fielder is NOT good.

Have a lot of fond memories of that stadium, though never had to sit way up there. I do remember being at a game where McGwire hit one into those seats; I believe they created a 'Big Mac' section after that honoring that HR.

crazyozzie02
07-03-2007, 05:21 AM
Finally, before the renovation at USCF, the Upper Deck seats were some of the worst in baseball. They didn't call them the nosebleeds for nothing, it was a perilous journey that caused real physiological effects on your body.

While Climbing the Upper Deck stairs at Comiskey, my grandmother actually broke her foot by the amount of stress that was put on her foot during the climb. no joke

DumpJerry
07-03-2007, 07:20 AM
:moron
What a silly thread. The answer is so obvious.

mrfourni
07-03-2007, 09:10 AM
I refuse to go to wrigley if i'm sitting underneath the skybox overhang. I cannot stand not being able to follow a flyball.

PatK
07-03-2007, 09:16 AM
Back in 1984 I saw the Red Sox play the Yankees at Fenway.

I was way up in the upper deck along the first baseline and by the outfield by a "Jimmy Fund" sign. I could see maybe half of the outfield.

To make things worse, the security guy wouldn't let us move up to the empty seats in front of us.

jenn2080
07-03-2007, 09:36 AM
The upper deck of Yankees stadium.

Brian26
07-03-2007, 09:56 AM
I've never been there, but I imagine some of the upper deck seats at Pro Player Stadium in Miami have to be awful, especially the ones down the lines.

salty99
07-03-2007, 09:57 AM
How about the 3rd deck at Oakland?

wxkid23
07-03-2007, 10:24 AM
I sat in dead CF during the 2005 World Series at Minute Maid for a game... that was WAY back from the field.

Fenway
07-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Fenway has some BAD seats

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2005/06/17/1119011231_8011.jpghttp://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2005/06/17/1119010575_9979.jpg

kittle42
07-03-2007, 01:22 PM

I was going to post this very thing, then decided that someone else on the thread MUST have experienced this.

Aside from Shea being one of the worst stadiums in which to see a game, those seats are easily the worst.

soxinem1
07-03-2007, 02:46 PM
Without being biased, the worst seats I have ever been in were anything near the RF pole at Wiggley, for a night game. You can't see anything!!!!

Irishsox1
07-03-2007, 02:51 PM
Both Shea and Fenway stunk for me. Both seats were facing centerfield so you had to crank your head back to the plate to watch the action or sit twisted in your seat.

However, Fenway was a lot worse because I was either being yelled at or questioned for being a White Sox fan. Of course the obnoxious White Sox fan in front row egging everyone on during the entire game didn't help.

Foulke You
07-03-2007, 03:04 PM
I refuse to go to wrigley if i'm sitting underneath the skybox overhang. I cannot stand not being able to follow a flyball.
I'm with you on this one mrfourni. The last 10 rows of the lower deck at Wrigley under the skybox overhang are some of the worst I've ever been in. It's like having half of a viewpoint of the ballgame. Anytime a ball is hit in the air you can't see it, you just have to follow the players. The visible sightlines seem even worse for a night game. You also can't see the scoreboard from those seats. I sat in those seats for a couple crosstown series games and I swore off the lower level there unless they are really close to the field. Just terrible seats.

The last 10 rows of the original upper deck at New Comiskey were pretty high but at least the sightlines were good.

chisoxfanatic
07-03-2007, 03:13 PM
I never went there; but, what kind of seat could be worse than one that extends far past the outfield wall and doesn't even look toward the field? There were several sections at Exhibition Field like that:

http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/past/exhibuse.jpg

Fenway
07-03-2007, 03:19 PM
I never went there; but, what kind of seat could be worse than one that extends far past the outfield wall and doesn't even look toward the field? There were several sections at Exhibition Field like that:

There were very few good seats in that park and the seagulls were fierce

kittle42
07-03-2007, 03:31 PM
I'm with you on this one mrfourni. The last 10 rows of the lower deck at Wrigley under the skybox overhang are some of the worst I've ever been in.

The ones at Shea in the comparable sections are worse.

Fenway
07-03-2007, 03:37 PM

Shea is the worst ballpark now since The Vet closed in 2003 and Stade Olympique in 2004............

The tire dump next door smells better than Shea does

thedudeabides
07-03-2007, 06:02 PM
The upper deck of Yankees stadium.

That is the furthest I've ever been from the field. I was in the last row behind home plate. Much further than the pre-renovation Comiskey upper deck even.

MDF3530
07-03-2007, 06:32 PM
OK, it's up to me to state the obvious...

Anywhere in this building, located on the northeast corner of Clark & Addison:

http://www.midwesthockeytournaments.com/images/WrigleyFieldSign1-225x168.jpg

MarySwiss
07-03-2007, 08:13 PM

I remember going to a game at the BOB in 1998 or 1999 and walking up nearly vertical steps, like a ladder in a submarine, to get to an upper level. The last game I attended at Jack Murphy Stadium, I sat in temporary bleachers set up behind other seats in the rightfield corner.

I sat in the last row of the upper deck in New Comiskey in 2000 and didn't think the seats were that bad. I was behind third base, though. If I were in the outfield, it might have been as bad as sitting on a rooftop across the street from Wrigley Field.

I've never actually sat in those seats at BOB (or Chase Field, if we must), but every time I've been there I've always thought those seats looked scary.

That said, I once had the (dis)pleasure of sitting in the nosebleed section at the old new Comiskey (is that a contradiction in terms?), and even though I was not in the last row, every time I got up to go for a beer (the beer guy almost never came up there), I had the distinct impression that it would be really easy to just plummet to my death without even trying!

But the revamped Cell is a pleasure to visit (except when they CALL THE DAMN GAME EVEN THOUGH IT STOPPED RAINING). And no, I will never get over this.

Edit: BTW, I have a friend who's a roofer and a Sox fan, and even he was afraid to sit in the upper deck nosebleed section.

MUsoxfan
07-03-2007, 10:36 PM

Indeed. Wrigley acknowledges that they're bad seats by putting TV's on the overhang. The folks at Shea let you use your imagination when it comes to airborne balls and the potential in-range outfielder's ability to catch them.

Southsider101
07-04-2007, 04:00 PM
Shea is the worst ballpark now since The Vet closed in 2003 and Stade Olympique in 2004............

The tire dump next door smells better than Shea does

Don't even bring up Stade Olympique! When this stadium was built, every Montrealer must have had a 28 inch waste, and stood 5'5". Not to mention that the view from ALL of the seats were miles from the playing field.

Next to Montreal, the Roger's Center is Toronto is no Camden Yards either. One of the worst seats I ever purchased was in the lower deck, beyond third base--not unlike the Metrodome where the seats face CENTER FIELD!!
Thank you Minnesota Vikings for your lasting legacy to MLB!

BlackAndWhite
07-04-2007, 05:58 PM
One of the worst seats I ever purchased was in the lower deck, beyond third base--not unlike the Metrodome where the seats face CENTER FIELD!!

You beat me to it. You need a chiropractor by the 3rd inning to fix the kink in your neck. I'd rather sit at the top of the dome in dead center than lower deck past third base in that place.

Brian26
07-04-2007, 07:17 PM
Next to Montreal, the Roger's Center is Toronto is no Camden Yards either. One of the worst seats I ever purchased was in the lower deck, beyond third base--not unlike the Metrodome where the seats face CENTER FIELD!!

SkyDome was built for the Argonauts too, wasn't it? Even though the retractable roof was revolutionary at the time, the concept of the movable seats to support different sports was very early 70's-based.

FoulTerritory
07-04-2007, 10:46 PM
How about the 3rd deck at Oakland?

I would agree with you. Oakland isn't getting enough press in this thread. Not only do they have 3 decks, but they also have the most foul territory by a large margin, putting all of their decks furthest from the field. If we're talking sheer distance from the field, Oakland's third deck, along the baselines, wins. Like Dolphin stadium, they don't even sell the outfield 3rd deck seats unless its playoffs.

Fenway
07-05-2007, 09:15 AM
Don't even bring up Stade Olympique! When this stadium was built, every Montrealer must have had a 28 inch waste, and stood 5'5". Not to mention that the view from ALL of the seats were miles from the playing field.

That stadium doomed the Expos more than any other factor....the roof never worked and was sealed shut ( with NO AC ) and the last thing people in Quebec want to do in summer is be indoors. Throw in the fact that the stadium was in East End miles away from the teams fanbase on the West Island ( anglo ) Yes the Metro ran to the Stadium but Montreal never built the Metro in English areas.

Best year there was 1998 when there was no roof

http://mysite.verizon.net/charliesballparks/stadiums/ph/olympic3.jpg

monkeypants
07-05-2007, 10:51 AM

http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/past/exhibuse.jpg

I sat in one of those seats for a Jays game back in 1987. In the upper deck along the first base side, way way way beyond the right field fence, just facing some focal point that was nowhere near the playing field. Worst seats ever without a doubt. The only thing that made it somewhat memorable was the game was a secondary thought to the people there because we could barely see anything. So I saw a ton of drunk Canadians just making asses of themselves.

sbsox
07-05-2007, 09:51 PM
We were in row 6 of section 546 at USCF on the 4th. I moved up to the top row once it got dark and was able to look over my shoulder and watch all the illeagal fireworks against the backdrop of downtown and the view of the field wasn't half bad either........

Frontman
07-05-2007, 09:57 PM
Sadly, in my own experience, it was at Old Comiskey. Upper deck, last two rows, 1st base side, about halfway up the baseline between home and 1st. Couldn't see left handed batters clearly, and the scoreboard video screen was blocked by the roof's superstructure. So, with left handed batters in those particular seats (I don't recall the section or seat numbers, sorry) those were God awful during left handed batters turns. And when you're eight, if you can't see the anything, you get pretty ainsy pretty quickly.

Brian26
07-06-2007, 12:15 AM
That said, I once had the (dis)pleasure of sitting in the nosebleed section at the old new Comiskey (is that a contradiction in terms?), and even though I was not in the last row, every time I got up to go for a beer (the beer guy almost never came up there), I had the distinct impression that it would be really easy to just plummet to my death without even trying!

But the revamped Cell is a pleasure to visit (except when they CALL THE DAMN GAME EVEN THOUGH IT STOPPED RAINING). And no, I will never get over this.

Edit: BTW, I have a friend who's a roofer and a Sox fan, and even he was afraid to sit in the upper deck nosebleed section.

Just to clarify, the slope of the upper deck is still the same. It's not any flatter now than it was pre-renovations. They simply just chopped off the top 8 rows.

One other note, because this entire myth about the upper deck was fabricated by sports talk radio, is that the steepness of the upper deck has nothing to do with poor design or trying to accomodate sky boxes. The steepness of the upper deck is actually an excellent design because it allows for you to see over the person's head in front of you, which isn't the case in older ballparks (or even the lower deck of the Cell).

Brian26
07-06-2007, 12:18 AM
That stadium doomed the Expos more than any other factor....

My favorite memory of Olympic Stadium is that they still had the painted lines of the track (from the olympic track and field events) in the baseball configuration as part of the warning track...and this was into the early 80's. They finally fixed that, but I always thought it was odd they never tried to rectify it sooner.

Foulke You
07-06-2007, 12:28 AM
Just to clarify, the slope of the upper deck is still the same. It's not any flatter now than it was pre-renovations. They simply just chopped off the top 8 rows.

One other note, because this entire myth about the upper deck was fabricated by sports talk radio, is that the steepness of the upper deck has nothing to do with poor design or trying to accomodate sky boxes. The steepness of the upper deck is actually an excellent design because it allows for you to see over the person's head in front of you, which isn't the case in older ballparks (or even the lower deck of the Cell).
You are correct about the upper deck. The only shortcoming of those old seats in the now defunct rows 22-29 was not the height. It was that the architects put the entrances at the very bottom forcing you to climb 29 rows of stairs. I could never figure that one out. The only thing I can think of was that they didn't want the upper concourse raised higher than it is and they didn't want a maze of ramps to lead you up like the Old Comiskey had.

Nellie_Fox
07-06-2007, 12:42 AM
You are correct about the upper deck. The only shortcoming of those old seats in the now defunct rows 22-29 was not the height. It was that the architects put the entrances at the very bottom forcing you to climb 29 rows of stairs. I could never figure that one out. The only thing I can think of was that they didn't want the upper concourse raised higher than it is and they didn't want a maze of ramps to lead you up like the Old Comiskey had.Another problem was that the seats went all the way up to the wall at the back, making no room for vendors to cross over to the next aisle and head down. As a result, they wouldn't come up, since they'd have to come right back down the same aisle they had just worked. So, you had to go get your own stuff, and make the climb back up.

Blueprint1
07-06-2007, 01:51 AM
My favorite memory of Olympic Stadium is that they still had the painted lines of the track (from the olympic track and field events) in the baseball configuration as part of the warning track...and this was into the early 80's. They finally fixed that, but I always thought it was odd they never tried to rectify it sooner.

This is the reason why my tickets are in the upper deck. I actually have a better view than the more expensive seats in the lower bowl.