PDA

View Full Version : Pods to DL tomorrow; Owens probable callup

DickAllen72
07-02-2007, 07:10 PM
Per Reifert's blog:

Tonight's Lineup
Gonzo, LF; Iguchi, 2B; Thome, DH; PK, 1B; AJ, C; Dye, RF; Fields, 3B; Terrero, CF; Uribe, SS. Buehrle pitching.

Expect Scott P to head to the DL tomorrow with Jerry Owens taking his place. That song and dance is getting old.

Soxfanspcu11
07-02-2007, 07:15 PM
So what exactly is his injury??

DickAllen72
07-02-2007, 07:16 PM
Pulled muscle in left ribcage is what they said yesterday.

Jjav829
07-02-2007, 07:17 PM
Can we just call up Sweeney, stick him in left and see what he can do for the rest of the year already?

Tragg
07-02-2007, 07:20 PM
Gonzalez is leading off?

oeo
07-02-2007, 07:21 PM
Can we just call up Sweeney, stick him in left and see what he can do for the rest of the year already?

Seconded.

lostfan
07-02-2007, 07:22 PM
Seconded.
Word.

JB98
07-02-2007, 07:26 PM

If we do that, who bats leadoff?

Not disagreeing with the thought that Sweeney should be first in line to get the opportunity, but we're really hurting for a leadoff hitter until Erstad comes back.

JB98
07-02-2007, 07:26 PM
Gonzalez is leading off?

Got a better idea?

palehozenychicty
07-02-2007, 07:27 PM

It's getting beyond ridiculous to expect anybody else out there to be a better job on our team at that position than Sweeney. If Anderson gets healthy, put him out there as well. What do they have to lose?

oeo
If we do that, who bats leadoff?.

Got a better idea?

Iguchi...

lostfan
Got a better idea?
I think you just sort of answered your own question from the last post there.

JB98
07-02-2007, 07:33 PM
I think you just sort of answered your own question from the last post there.

On one level I agree with Tragg that Gonzalez shouldn't be leading off. But really, what other option do we have?

I guess Iguchi is an option, but I don't think that's very good either. Gonzalez sees more pitches than Tadahito does, even though he isn't as good of a hitter, or as experienced as a hitter.

oeo
07-02-2007, 07:39 PM
On one level I agree with Tragg that Gonzalez shouldn't be leading off. But really, what other option do we have?

I guess Iguchi is an option, but I don't think that's very good either. Gonzalez sees more pitches than Tadahito does, even though he isn't as good of a hitter, or as experienced as a hitter.

Gonzalez is better suited batting in the 9-hole, or not batting at all. Iguchi is by far our best option right now to lead off.

santo=dorf
07-02-2007, 07:40 PM

give me the better hitter over the crappier hitter who sees more pitches.

BTW: Gonzalez 4.07 P/PA, Iguchi 3.92 P/PA. It's not that big of a difference ~90 pitches over the course of a full season.)

JB98
07-02-2007, 07:42 PM
Gonzalez is better suited batting in the 9-hole, or not batting at all. Iguchi is by far our best option right now to lead off.

Iguchi: .252 avg, .332 obp
Gonzalez: .242 avg, .329 obp

:dunno:

oeo
07-02-2007, 07:44 PM

Iguchi: 250 AB
Gonzalez: 60 AB

And Iguchi has been hot of late. Gonzalez had that 4-5 day in Tampa that shot his batting average up a ton.

santo=dorf
07-02-2007, 07:45 PM

With Iguchi having 4 times as many plate appearances.

His numbers are better and he's been doing it for a longer period of time.

esbrechtel
07-02-2007, 07:47 PM
Pods is killing me....

MarySwiss
07-02-2007, 07:48 PM
As Charlie Brown would say, "Good Grief!"

What the hell will happen next on this snakebit team? Wait, maybe we're better off not knowing. :?:

TDog
Owens obviously is needed because they need to replace Podsednik's speed. Ideally, he shouldn't need to come up at all. Sweeney showed that he isn't ready.just bring

I remember going to games at the Cell at the beginning of the 2002 season and hearing from fans in the bleachers that the Sox should just bring up Joe Borchard and let him develop a the big-league level.

Tragg
Got a better idea?

His batting average is as bad as the rest of the youngsters...the only difference is that he's had Thome protection, while they bat 8th and 9th with Uribe and Cintron protection. Thus, I'd say pretty much anyone.

Maybe Sweeney and Anderson can learn more in AAA than playing every day in the ML - if so, great. But if that's not the case, what is with these utility players playing every day?

If Owens would take some pitches...but man, it wasn't until his last game that he got his first walk....that's Sandy Alomar territory.

oeo
07-02-2007, 07:51 PM
Owens obviously is needed because they need to replace Podsednik's speed. Ideally, he shouldn't need to come up at all. Sweeney showed that he isn't ready.just bring

Owens showed he isn't ready, too. Sweeney hasn't been up for over a month, and in that time he's driven up his batting average by 50 points. He deserves another shot. And since we're not going anywhere this year, we need to know if he can contribute next year. So let him play and learn on the job this year instead of being in another Anderson position, where we just hand him the job and he can't do it.

crazyozzie02
07-02-2007, 07:53 PM

I'll thrid, fouth, and fifth that. Although i know it wont happen and owens will be up and he will suck again. Man why cant they just let Sweeny do what they are letting Fields do now? Owens isnt going to be our future left-fielder and that means we will see Mac in left. :angry:

lostfan
07-02-2007, 08:03 PM
Owens obviously is needed because they need to Sweeney showed that he isn't ready.

How? Why? In the 2 weeks or whatever it was he was playing at the major league level this year? I beg to differ.

thomas35forever
07-02-2007, 08:08 PM
Geez, Scott and Darin are becoming Frank and Maggs from three years ago. How are we supposed to wreck havoc on the basepaths when all our speedsters are MIA? I guess that's the story of our season so far.

WizardsofOzzie
As Charlie Brown would say, "Good Grief!"

What the hell will happen next on this snakebit team? Wait, maybe we're better off not knowing. :?:
http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/8324/charliebrownlucyfootbalde6.jpg

JB98
Geez, Scott and Darin are becoming Frank and Maggs from three years ago. How are we supposed to wreck havoc on the basepaths when all our speedsters are MIA? I guess that's the story of our season so far.

Don't forget Ozuna. All three options for batting leadoff are on the shelf.

champagne030
07-02-2007, 08:13 PM
So let him play and learn on the job this year instead of being in another Anderson position, where we just hand him the job and he can't do it.

The only difference, for the 9000 time, is that Anderson NEVER HAD THE JOB. HE WAS IN A PLATOON STARTING IN GAME TWO LAST SEASON!!!

upperdeckusc
07-02-2007, 08:16 PM
ya this injury bug is ridiculous. lord knows what would happen if AJ got hurt (knock on wood, of course):
Ozzie: "Andy, borrow Toby's catching gear.....you're in there...."
Andy G.: :o:

santo=dorf
07-02-2007, 08:22 PM
"Injury bug," "snakebitten," I'm convince if the Sox had Rondell White, Kerry Wood, Kevin Brown, or Darren Dreifort on the DL there would actually be people still be making the same excuse.

Crede, Erstad, and Pods all on the DL. What a shock!

Brian26
07-02-2007, 08:36 PM
Hawk used to talk about the Sox playing well as Big Frank played well.

It seems like the same could be said of Pods over the past 2.5 years, except modified from Pods playing well to just Pods being healthy. The Sox go as Pods stays healthy.

tick53
07-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Hawk just said that Owens has been recalled due to Pods going back on the DL. I don't know about you, but I aint happy.

Tragg
07-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Owens has speed and swings at everything that the bat can reach....2 key elements for this offense.

Thank goodness we won a WS before 2/3 of this lineup was converted to hackers.

Soxfanspcu11
07-02-2007, 09:18 PM
Thank goodness we won a WS before 2/3 of this lineup was converted to hackers.

YES. But WHY WHY WHY!?!?!?!?!

Whatever happened to the whole "small-ball" thing that Ozzie called "Smart-Ball".

Why doesn't a reporter or SOMEONE just ask him??

I would LOVE to hear his answer. :angry:

santo=dorf
07-02-2007, 09:28 PM
YES. But WHY WHY WHY!?!?!?!?!

Whatever happened to the whole "small-ball" thing that Ozzie called "Smart-Ball".

Why doesn't a reporter or SOMEONE just ask him??

I would LOVE to hear his answer. :angry:
Go pop in your DVD, and listen to Ozzie Guillen himself say "We didn't play small ball. We played "smart ball." We hit a lot of home runs too."

The Sox didn't win in 2006 because of their pitching plain and simple. You take the 2006 offense + the 2005 pitching staff and you have a bonafide WS contender.
This year the offense doesn't hit for average, or power, or get on base much, or hit as many home runs. It also doesn't help that bullpen can't hold a lead once it is given to them (although they have been better.)

getonbckthr
07-02-2007, 09:28 PM
Crazy idea DL Pods and Dye trade Iguchi and Mackowiak. Then bring up Sweeney, Anderson, Owens and Richar. Leadoff Owens and the kids play see what we have. Whats the worst that can happen...... we lose wow we haven't done any of that this year.

nsolo
07-02-2007, 09:34 PM
With Pods going on the DL, will this create a sense of urgency for Williams to make a deal with MB?

oeo
07-02-2007, 09:39 PM
How? Why? In the 2 weeks or whatever it was he was playing at the major league level this year? I beg to differ.

In fairness to Tragg, Sweeney did show he wasn't ready. They started busting him inside and he couldn't handle it. But, he went down and hit the ball well, so he deserves another chance.

JB98
07-02-2007, 09:40 PM
With Pods going on the DL, will this create a sense of urgency for Williams to make a deal with MB?

I don't think the two issues are related at all.

getonbckthr
07-02-2007, 09:40 PM
Why?

lostfan
07-02-2007, 09:42 PM
In fairness to Tragg, Sweeney did show he wasn't ready. They started busting him inside and he couldn't handle it. But, he went down and hit the ball well, so he deserves another chance.
Yes, that he does. The only way for him to get over that is to take ABs. Snags like that will happen.

JB98
07-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Yes, that he does. The only way for him to get over that is to take ABs. Snags like that will happen.

I'm certain Ryan will get another chance if and when JD is traded.

nsolo
07-02-2007, 09:48 PM
I don't think the two issues are related at all.

It was a stray thought on my end, but I thought with all the injury problems that have contributed to what is so far a poor season, Pods current injury might be the final straw on Williams part to help salvage the rest of the season. If he was wavering on either trade or give MB the no trade clause, he may be now fed-up enough with this seasons proceedings to say to heck with it, I'm tired of sitting on my hands, I'm making a move.

That's why.

TDog
07-02-2007, 09:49 PM

According to the reports I read, Sweeney was sent down after he was exposed in the Yankees series in May. I realize, however, it's easier to believe that Ozzie Guillen doesn't like him.

oeo
07-02-2007, 09:53 PM
According to the reports I read, Sweeney was sent down after he was exposed in the Yankees series in May. I realize, however, it's easier to believe that Ozzie Guillen doesn't like him.

Ozzie did mention that Sweeney is hitting the ball well, but he wants Owens because he can lead off. I'd still rather Gooch lead off and bring Sweeney up.

JB98
07-02-2007, 10:00 PM

I think some people have gotten a little hyper about Ozzie's treatment of young players. There was quite an uproar a couple weeks back about comments Ozzie made about Fields. They were taken to mean Josh was about to get benched.

Well, Josh has had his ups and downs, and he's continued to be in the lineup.

lostfan
07-02-2007, 10:09 PM
From my understanding, the plan wasn't for Sweeney to stay in the first place. His bat got a little hot and caused some mild debate over whether he should stay up at the MLB level but once Thome came back (or whoever it was, I forget b/c everybody's been hurt) it was a moot point since Sweeney had stopped hitting in the last handful of days.

Ozzie's in love with Sweeney, I can't remember the last time he wasn't gushing about the guy.

Tragg
07-02-2007, 10:48 PM
Just trying to figure out why Ozzie's hackers can bat .230 with the benefit of the 2 hole and play every day; while real prospects with potential get yanked, demoted and publically dissed for struggling out of the 9 hole.

Yea, Ozzie's utility hitters hit a little better than the legit prospects right now. Big deal - that will win us 78 instead of 75. Ozzie seems singularly uninterested in developing this team for the future.

Iguana775
07-02-2007, 11:09 PM

He hurt his boobie.

Mr. White Sox
07-02-2007, 11:21 PM
call up Anderson, call up Sweeney, just don't call up Owens. Owens has the potential and ability to hit around .240-.260 with 20 SB, but he won't get that in limited PT. As a rookie, he's going to test Ozzie's patience, and I just don't want to see that. He's a 4th OF at best and in no different a position than the other young'uns down in AAA, except his ceiling is lower.

letsgosox1592
07-02-2007, 11:21 PM
i got a great idea to get owens and sweeney up here, trade mackowiak and then u will call up one for podsednik and one for the trade of mackowiak.....which will have the sox have ryan sweeney in left, jerry owens in center and jermaine in right(until we trade him and bring up brian anderson)

balke
07-03-2007, 09:51 AM
i got a great idea to get owens and sweeney up here, trade mackowiak and then u will call up one for podsednik and one for the trade of mackowiak.....which will have the sox have ryan sweeney in left, jerry owens in center and jermaine in right(until we trade him and bring up brian anderson)

Hopefully Terrero can learn to play 1B, and we can ship off Paulie and Thome to some clubs needing power. Move Uribe to DH, and have Cintron at SS. That leaves room to dump Iguchi to the Red Sox, and give Gonzalez some playing time at 2B.

If we do that though, than I'd like to keep Mackowiak as backup catcher to Hall, and hopefully send AJ off for prospects.

Owens
Gonzalez
Fields
Hall
Sweeney
Terrero
Uribe
Anderson
Cintron

lostfan
07-03-2007, 09:57 AM
Hopefully Terrero can learn to play 1B, and we can ship off Paulie and Thome to some clubs needing power. Move Uribe to DH, and have Cintron at SS. That leaves room to dump Iguchi to the Red Sox, and give Gonzalez some playing time at 2B.

If we do that though, than I'd like to keep Mackowiak as backup catcher to Hall, and hopefully send AJ off for prospects.

Owens
Gonzalez
Fields
Hall
Sweeney
Terrero
Uribe
Anderson
Cintron
I'm having a hard time telling if this is a joke or not.

balke
07-03-2007, 10:01 AM
I'm having a hard time telling if this is a joke or not.

Its a joke. Production wise its probably about equal to what the Sox have gotten out of the starting offense though.

lostfan
07-03-2007, 10:02 AM
Its a joke. Production wise its probably about equal to what the Sox have gotten out of the starting offense though.
I figured it had to be, I was about to type "ROFL" but you never know.

jenn2080
07-03-2007, 10:12 AM

Seriously! No ****. The kid did fairly well while he was up here. I would love to see him up over Owens.

balke
07-03-2007, 10:17 AM
Seriously! No ****. The kid did fairly well while he was up here. I would love to see him up over Owens.

I think its best to wait post all-star break. Its not too far away, and it'll shield the young guys who have promise from further shame and embarassment from this first half of baseball. Sox need someone who can at least mimic a leadoff guy for now, Owens it is.

California Sox
07-03-2007, 10:23 AM
I have a feeling that Owens may be up for a very short time. The Sox need a starter for Friday's DH. Signs point to Floyd. Why not keep Owens for a couple of days, send him down to bring up Floyd, then send Floyd down right after the game and bring up Sweeney?

It's true that Sweeney has to make an adjustment on balls in, but Owens is absolutely helpless on breaking balls in the dirt, especially in from the righthander. Every righthander on earth can bounce a breaking ball at a leftie's feet. Until Owens starts recognizing and laying off that pitch he's going to be grabbing a lot of bench.

southside rocks
07-03-2007, 10:24 AM
Can wiser and perhaps cooler heads explain to me why the Sox shouldn't just DFA Podsednik right now? The guy's more fragile than fine porcelain, for cripes sake. He'll NEVER be back playing regularly and reliably -- he's the outfield version of Wood and Prior.

Why keep Pods? There must be reasons, what are they? :?:

balke
07-03-2007, 10:41 AM
Can wiser and perhaps cooler heads explain to me why the Sox shouldn't just DFA Podsednik right now? The guy's more fragile than fine porcelain, for cripes sake. He'll NEVER be back playing regularly and reliably -- he's the outfield version of Wood and Prior.

Why keep Pods? There must be reasons, what are they? :?:

Why do you keep a Thomas when he gets injured over and over again? A Griffey? When Pods is healthy he produces.

RowanDye
07-03-2007, 10:56 AM

Not sure we could get much at all for Mackowiak, but I agree that he should not be taking ABs away from someone that could actually help our team in the future.

I don't see any way that KW re-signs Mackowiak after this season.

Jjav829
07-03-2007, 11:04 AM
If we do that, who bats leadoff?

Not disagreeing with the thought that Sweeney should be first in line to get the opportunity, but we're really hurting for a leadoff hitter until Erstad comes back.

Does it really matter?

It's not like we're still fighting in this race and need to field a well-balanced team. Throw Uribe in the leadoff spot if it means developing Sweeney. :smile:

SBSoxFan
07-03-2007, 11:10 AM

Terrero .366 obp ... just sayin'

Jjav829
07-03-2007, 11:11 AM
Why do you keep a Thomas when he gets injured over and over again? A Griffey? When Pods is healthy he produces.

You realize what's so wrong with that statement, right? When Frank Thomas is/was healthy, he produced like a HOF player. When Griffey is healthy, he produces like a HOF player. When Pods is healthy, he steals a lot of bases, may hit for a high average (.314 in 2003, .290 in 2005) or a lower average (.244 in 2004, .261 in 2006), has no power and just a decent OBP.

The Sox kept Pods because they couldn't find a better option. Pierre wasn't worth what he was paid (and isn't necessarily better than Pods) and apparently any players available in trades weren't worth their asking price.

balke
07-03-2007, 11:21 AM
You realize what's so wrong with that statement, right? When Frank Thomas is/was healthy, he produced like a HOF player. When Griffey is healthy, he produces like a HOF player. When Pods is healthy, he steals a lot of bases, may hit for a high average (.314 in 2003, .290 in 2005) or a lower average (.244 in 2004, .261 in 2006), has no power and just a decent OBP.

The Sox kept Pods because they couldn't find a better option. Pierre wasn't worth what he was paid (and isn't necessarily better than Pods) and apparently any players available in trades weren't worth their asking price.

I think production is production when healthy. When healthy he's the best available lead-off option for the Sox. Why "cut" him? How is that in anyway productive? "Let's DFA him". You know what happens? Jerry Owens hits leadoff. The first guy at bat every game is going to be a rookie who can't get on base.

russ99
07-03-2007, 11:32 AM
I'm pretty peeved about this whole thing.

1. NO information as to the extent of Scott's injury has been released by the club at all.

2. Ozzie obviously knows nothing other than "he can't play" as per his pregame comments.

3. Jermaine Dye has been sitting on the shelf on the active roster for 2 weeks due to "There's no one in AAA to call up". Why quickly toss Pods on the DL and call up Owens again before there's an actual diagnosis?!?

4. Thome had this exact same injury earlier this season and was out 2 weeks.

Something tells me Scott isn't getting a fair shake due to management's losing patience with his injury-wracked season.

lostfan
07-03-2007, 11:43 AM
I'm pretty peeved about this whole thing.
due to management's losing patience with his injury-wracked season.
If that's the case, can you really blame them?

russ99
07-03-2007, 11:46 AM
If that's the case, can you really blame them?

Yeah, I can. Why does Dye get a free pass and stays off the DL when (to my untrained eye) he's had some kind of injury all season?

southside rocks
07-03-2007, 12:08 PM

Yes, I agree. I can't fit Podsednik into any kind of category with Griffey Jr. and Thomas, actually.

The Sox signed Pods to a 1-year contract after they had ascertained, as you said, that they couldn't find anybody better for the money for that spot. I'm assuming, and I could be wrong about this, that after this one year, Pods won't be re-signed by the Sox.

Since he's played about one quarter (19 out of 79) of the Sox games thus far, and since he shows no sign that he will be any more ready to play or any healthier in the second half of the season, what would the Sox lose by just dumping him now? I know they won't do it -- the contract is one reason -- but really, is Pods of any true value to this club? Might it not be better to just bring up Owens or Sweeney and let them play every day and learn at the major-league level, rather than wait for Pods to come off the DL, play 6 or 8 game, and go back on the DL?

It's very frustrating.

balke
07-03-2007, 12:22 PM
Yes, I agree. I can't fit Podsednik into any kind of category with Griffey Jr. and Thomas, actually.

The Sox signed Pods to a 1-year contract after they had ascertained, as you said, that they couldn't find anybody better for the money for that spot. I'm assuming, and I could be wrong about this, that after this one year, Pods won't be re-signed by the Sox.

Since he's played about one quarter (19 out of 79) of the Sox games thus far, and since he shows no sign that he will be any more ready to play or any healthier in the second half of the season, what would the Sox lose by just dumping him now? I know they won't do it -- the contract is one reason -- but really, is Pods of any true value to this club? Might it not be better to just bring up Owens or Sweeney and let them play every day and learn at the major-league level, rather than wait for Pods to come off the DL, play 6 or 8 game, and go back on the DL?

It's very frustrating.

Frustrating yes. I don't see how he's that much more of a problem than Crede, Erstad, Dye, Thome, or Ozuna at this point. The injuries are unrelated for him, and he's a good leadoff batter. Sweeney can't bat leadoff, and Owens is only a substitute cause noone else is left. I don't think there would be as much fuss if Ozuna was healthy still and filling in for Pods, but he's not.

My relation to Frank or Erstad or Griffey is that DFA isn't the answer if a guy can play when healthy. Calling this guy a baby over any of them, or somehow singling Pods out like he's the biggest injury risk anyone's seen is ridiculous. He'll be a lot better than what the Sox are gonna get out of Owens IMO. When healthy he probably gives more than Sweeney can, but for now that's unknown.

PatK
07-03-2007, 12:30 PM
If Sweeny changed his last name to Sanchez, he would have been called up two weeks ago.

jenn2080
07-03-2007, 01:02 PM
If Sweeny changed his last name to Sanchez, he would have been called up two weeks ago.

Come on. You cannot be serious.

PatK
07-03-2007, 01:07 PM
Come on. You cannot be serious.

A few people I know think Ozzie secretly prefers Latino players.

I think Terrero and Andy are playing because what else do we have?

As this season goes on and stays ugly, I here more and more wacky "conspiracy" theories about the Sox.

lostfan
07-03-2007, 01:07 PM
Yeah, I can. Why does Dye get a free pass and stays off the DL when (to my untrained eye) he's had some kind of injury all season?
Dye is his own issue and it's not really relevant to this anyway. With Pods, injuries in one form or another have been affecting his play for almost 2 full seasons now.

balke
07-03-2007, 01:17 PM
Dye is his own issue and it's not really relevant to this anyway. With Pods, injuries in one form or another have been affecting his play for almost 2 full seasons now.

154,154, 129, 139 = Pods 576 games played over 4 seasons
65, 137, 145, 146 = Dye 493 games played over 4 seasons

lostfan
07-03-2007, 01:20 PM
Yeah, Dye had an injury history before coming to the Sox. That's not a secret. I'm only talking about the last 2-3 years.

Oh, and by the way sure Pods played in 2006, but he was clearly having problems. Couldn't anyone else tell he wasn't the same player?

soxfanatlanta
07-03-2007, 01:34 PM
Yeah, Dye had an injury history before coming to the Sox. That's not a secret. I'm only talking about the last 2-3 years.

+1

Besides: An injured Dye is still far better than an injured Pods.

The wheels are coming off this team. Damn shame. :(:

California Sox
07-03-2007, 02:15 PM

Well, that's disingenuous. You include the year where Dye can't make it back from a broken leg, but exclude this year in which Pods has missed almost 2 months. Another way of working the equation is to take the last 2.5 years when they both wore the White Sox uni and you get:

129+ 139 + 19 = 287

145 + 146 + 66 = 357

And that's not even counting the ten games Pods is about to miss. Is it any wonder why Sox fans would believe Dye is the more durable of the two.

Foulke You
07-03-2007, 03:21 PM
Owens is up again? Yuck. Sweeney should have gotten the call. The speed of Jerry Owens is worthless when he goes 0 for 4 every game.:mad: The only member of the Sox who looks more clueless at the plate this year than Owens is Rob Mackowiak.

letsgosox1592
07-03-2007, 03:44 PM
Owens is up again? Yuck. Sweeney should have gotten the call. The speed of Jerry Owens is worthless when he goes 0 for 4 every game.:mad: The only member of the Sox who looks more clueless at the plate this year than Owens is Rob Mackowiak.

you have to give jerry owens a break becuase he was adjusting to the game and mlb pitching...now he knows what to expect. and for mackowiak you cant use any excuses except that he just totally sucks and its time to get rid of him.

salty99
07-03-2007, 03:58 PM
you have to give jerry owens a break becuase he was adjusting to the game and mlb pitching...now he knows what to expect. and for mackowiak you cant use any excuses except that he just totally sucks and its time to get rid of him.

I feel somewhat bad for Mackowiak. Last year we stick him in center where he clearly doesn't belong and then this year m ove him around between left and right when his natural position is third. I bet he wants to get the heck out of here too.

California Sox
07-03-2007, 05:15 PM
I feel somewhat bad for Mackowiak. Last year we stick him in center where he clearly doesn't belong and then this year m ove him around between left and right when his natural position is third. I bet he wants to get the heck out of here too.

His natural position is left field. He learned to play infield for the Pirates to increase his versatility. If you think he's a bad leftfielder, contemplate him every day at 3b. *shudders*

JB98
07-03-2007, 05:29 PM

Mackowiak is having a bad year, but you have to remember he's a utility player being asked to play almost every day. We shouldn't be surprised that he's struggled. Guys in bench roles are there because their flaws get exposed as full-time players.

I'm not encouraged about Owens at all. On that point, I agree 100 percent. I understand they need speed, but he sure looked inept at the plate during his first recall. Even though Sweeney didn't set the world on fire when he was up earlier, I saw a better approach at the plate from him in comparison to Owens.

oeo
07-03-2007, 05:32 PM
Mackowiak is having a bad year, but you have to remember he's a utility player being asked to play almost every day. We shouldn't be surprised that he's struggled. Guys in bench roles are there because their flaws get exposed as full-time players.

You're not going to get Sox fans on Mackowiak's side. He's hated for whatever reason...he was thrown into CF last year because we had no CF'er, and now he's having the worst year of his career. I still think he can be a valuable commodity to our bench...first we need healthy outfielders, though.

lostfan
07-03-2007, 05:40 PM
You're not going to get Sox fans on Mackowiak's side. He's hated for whatever reason...he was thrown into CF last year because we had no CF'er, and now he's having the worst year of his career. I still think he can be a valuable commodity to our bench...first we need healthy outfielders, though.
Macowiak doesn't suck THAT bad... it's just that it's really easy and convenient to pile on him right now.

JB98
07-03-2007, 05:51 PM

I realize that the Mack hate runs deep, but that doesn't make it right. He's been misused from the moment he put on a White Sox uniform. Yes, he's accountable for his poor hitting this year. But there are many, many position players on this club having subpar or poor seasons.

Sometimes I feel like people want to blame Mackowiak and Cintron for everything. We had one of the most productive benches in baseball with those two guys, along with Ozuna, last year. No one could have expected that Ozuna would get hurt and both Mackowiak and Cintron would have bad years this season.

Tragg
07-03-2007, 08:04 PM
Sometimes I feel like people want to blame Mackowiak and Cintron for everything. We had one of the most productive benches in baseball with those two guys, along with Ozuna, last year. No one could have expected that Ozuna would get hurt and both Mackowiak and Cintron would have bad years this season.

Mack had a career year last year. He's an okay utility player. Cintron's problems aren't just a bad year: he lacks skill - and we're not even paying Cintron minimum, which is the most he should get (a million overpaid here and a million there adds up). I still don't think 3 utility players is a good idea. (you don't have a legit pinch hitter; you don't have an every day replacement should someone get injured).

What I find strange is that Mack and Gonzalez were utility infielders primarily...until they came here and now they are utility outfielders.

FedEx227
07-03-2007, 08:11 PM
Mack had a career year last year. He's an okay utility player. Cintron's problems aren't just a bad year: he lacks skill - and we're not even paying Cintron minimum, which is the most he should get (a million overpaid here and a million there adds up). I still don't think 3 utility players is a good idea. (you don't have a legit pinch hitter; you don't have an every day replacement should someone get injured).

What I find strange is that Mack and Gonzalez were utility infielders primarily...until they came here and now they are utility outfielders.

I don't know why people are surprised by his numbers this year...

Career he's a .260/.333/.406 guys who'll typically give you as many strikeouts as hits.

People shouldn't be surprised he's sucking, he's suppose to be a super-sub but we've decided he's an everyday player.