PDA

View Full Version : Yankee Firesale?

getonbckthr
07-02-2007, 06:07 PM
How aren't they considering a firesale themselves? They are out of it they have a lot of bad contracts and you would think they would want to move some of them. Especially if they feel Arod is gonna walk shouldn't they move him now?

santo=dorf
07-02-2007, 06:10 PM
The time has come, and they never listened when people said those huge free agent contracts would be too large to move. :violin:

ma-gaga
07-02-2007, 06:14 PM
How aren't they considering a firesale themselves? They are out of it they have a lot of bad contracts and you would think they would want to move some of them. Especially if they feel Arod is gonna walk shouldn't they move him now?

The Yankees operate differently than any other team normally would. "Standard" operating procedures do not apply to them.

They are the alpha and the omega. ...

Besides, who would take their crappy contracts? Nobody else in their right mind would pay Giambi to play for them, let alone $17mm+ per.

:cool:

Lip Man 1
07-02-2007, 07:47 PM
Steinbrenner also knows a great deal about the PR / media impact a 'fire sale' would have.

The organization would be mercilessly raked over the back pages of the newspapers for weeks.

He would consider that a personal embarrassment.

Yes the Yanks are out of it, but they will never admit to this and start dumping players as long as George owns the franchise.

Lip

palehozenychicty
07-02-2007, 08:03 PM
Steinbrenner also knows a great deal about the PR / media impact a 'fire sale' would have.

The organization would be mercilessly raked over the back pages of the newspapers for weeks.

He would consider that a personal embarrassment.

Yes the Yanks are out of it, but they will never admit to this and start dumping players as long as George owns the franchise.

Lip

The management won't admit it, but the media is finally starting to admit it.

linkee (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/07/02/2007-07-02_calendar_says_yanks_are_done.html)

Harper is one of the better tabloid writers in the city, and did good work on the White Sox during the '05 run.

HotelWhiteSox
07-02-2007, 08:17 PM
They're rich, they don't need a fire sale

Hendu
07-02-2007, 08:35 PM
If Cashman is smart, he will listen to offers for anybody on that team, as long as they'll get young pitching back in return. Of course, they'll also have to send out a bunch of money to help pay for the bloated contracts.

TDog
07-02-2007, 08:44 PM
"Fire sales" are conducted by losers. The Yankees don't do fire sales.

y2j2785
07-02-2007, 11:28 PM
i dont know what the standings are, but all I ever hear from ESPN is that the Yankees aren't that far out of the wild card race, but still theyre not making it to the playoffs as the wild card with Cleveland, Detroit, and Minnesota all playing better than them.

StillMissOzzie
07-03-2007, 02:13 AM

Even if the Yankees were so inclined, any other club would be nuts to assume that contract, unless they trade peanuts for a 2 month rental that would still cost the acquiring club appx $8M for the balance 0f 2007. And, there is no guarantee that he'll opt out of the last 3 years anymore.

Better to let A-Rod opt on on his own and negotiate a new deal from a clean slate.

SMO
:gulp:

russ99
07-03-2007, 11:48 AM
I hope Clemens his having fun with his "contending" team. :tongue:

Irishsox1
07-03-2007, 12:06 PM
The Yankees are having a "fire sale"...himmm, I'll take A-Rod, Jeter, Wong and maybe Rivera for a garbage bag full of replica 1983 jerseys...Deal or No Deal?

Something tells me that Big Stein is going to ride it out, make horrible trades and then fire everyone. For as successful the Yankees have been the last decade, what the heck where they thinking picking up Farnsworth. That guy is a total loser.

Lip Man 1
07-03-2007, 01:26 PM
Cashman is history after this season's that's for sure.

Lip

Fenway
07-03-2007, 02:16 PM

Lip

Some rumblings A-Rod maybe moved because of this

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2923254 (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2923254)

but they will wait to see where they are a month from now ( Aug 31 )

Boston has been slumping badly the past month but NYY could not make up any ground

miker
07-09-2007, 05:48 PM
I hope Clemens his having fun with his "contending" team. :tongue:
I had a feeling you would say that!

FarWestChicago
07-09-2007, 06:43 PM
Cashman is history after this season's that's for sure.

LipIt's kind of sad to see your favorite GM bite the dust, isn't it, Lip? :wink:

Lip Man 1
07-09-2007, 06:44 PM
Naw...my favorite G.M. was Roland Hemond.

Lip