PDA

View Full Version : Kauffman Stadium is OUTSTANDING!!!

chisoxfanatic
07-02-2007, 11:23 AM
Well, I'm still here at Hotel Phillips for a few hours before going to the airport; but, I've gotta say that Kauffman Stadium is absolutely awesome! The fountains just do it all! The people are downright friendly as well.

Ry and I went to both Saturday and Sunday's games paying a GRAND TOTAL for both days of $12 for tickets for both games. We took the Royal Express from our hotel to the ballpark both days, saving us $5 off each game ticket. So, we purchased the "cheap" $8 for each of us on both days--not including the discount--and sat downstairs (they don't even check tickets) about halfway between third base and the foul pole, 2/3 of the way up. Absolutely outstanding views of the entire stadium! The upper deck is much steeper than our's, so people can't be dissing our park for that when it's not even steep.

It was great to see our guys win both games, especially seeing Konerko hit a home run yesterday! We sat by two cool fans yesterday who I have a ton of respect for. They're about a year younger and have been to about 800 Royals games already! That's pure loyalty.

Ry and I ate at George Brett's restaurant last night, which was delicious, and the hostess even commented "Great game!" when she saw me in my Konerko jersey. We then walked around the Plaza until I got tired. I sure am coming back here in a year or two to see our Sox on the road again!

Cheers, Sox fans! I'll post a picture or two in due time.

Oh, and, one more note: They had a pre-game Negro League ceremony before Sunday's game, and they had a ton of KC representatives there and only one Chicago representative (Minnie Minoso), and who do they choose to throw out the first pitch at the game??? That's right! Minnie Minoso (who was wearing the home white pinstriped jersey)!

Brian26
07-02-2007, 11:57 AM
You went to a major league baseball game for basically $3? No wonder Kansas City can't sign any free agents :D:

Banix12
07-02-2007, 12:12 PM
The only negative thing I have ever heard about going to that stadium is that the team you have to watch is the Royals. Everything else has earned raves.

Zisk77
07-02-2007, 12:12 PM
I always enjoy my pilgrimages to kc to see the sox...of course the sox are 4-0 in those games :rolleyes:. People are always friendly, respectful, and knowlegdeable. The Food is great and prices cheap.....and you can always get a great seat on walk-up :redneck. Since I live on the Ill. side of the St. Louis metro are it even easier for me to go there then to the cell.

Parrothead
07-02-2007, 12:44 PM
Royals Stadium is my second favorite, with PNC being the best. I have nothing bad to say about the place and with the planned reonvations maybe it will be back to #1.

Etownsox13
07-02-2007, 12:47 PM
I hope to have a chance to catch a game in KC next year

Sox
07-02-2007, 01:00 PM
I live about 3 hours fron KC. I would go only if the Sox were playing.

Max Power
07-02-2007, 01:42 PM
I took in a game at Kauffman last summer and I would agree it is a good stadium. It's very functional and was ahead of its time by making the field viewable from the lower deck concourse. I will say that for a stadium with fountains in the outfield it's still pretty bland- much like Comiskey was when it opened. A Comiskey-esque renovation of the concourses would take Kauffman from good to great.

PatK
07-02-2007, 01:58 PM
I've been wanting to go there for years.

Luke
07-02-2007, 01:59 PM
I've never heard anything except great things about Kauffman/Royals Stadium.

DumpJerry
07-02-2007, 02:26 PM
If you could get tickets for that price at Comiskey, Mark Buehrle, Joe Crede, Jermaine Dye, Jon Garland, and Javy would already be playing for someone else.

The place looked like a ghost town on the television. At those prices, they should be packing them in, what else is there to do on a weekend in Kansas City? Head to the mountains or seashore?

champagne030
07-02-2007, 02:44 PM
The place looked like a ghost town on the television. At those prices, they should be packing them in, what else is there to do on a weekend in Kansas City? Head to the mountains or seashore?

I'm not looking up what they usually average, but Friday and Saturday was a steady downpour all day that ended about a 1/2 hour before the game each day. There were flash flood warnings all over the Kansas City area both days.

DumpJerry
07-02-2007, 02:48 PM
I'm not looking up what they usually average, but Friday and Saturday was a steady downpour all day that ended about a 1/2 hour before the game each day. There were flash flood warnings all over the Kansas City area both days.
Details.........................

veeter
07-02-2007, 02:51 PM
I was there in 1987 for two games. They were playing the Orioles. It was astroturf back then and was STILL very nice. I can only imagine with grass it's even better. I'm taking the family there next year.

Law11
07-02-2007, 02:58 PM
Total agreement on the park. the fans are good folks too. We went back in 04
and had our sox gear on , when some goof just giving us some ribbing mouthed off when i wouldnt repsond. He dropped an f bomb and security was on him like white on rice.. he gone..

then the fans around us were apologizing for his behavior.
I was like, you folks have never been to Cleveland have you..

Good times..

Huisj
07-02-2007, 03:07 PM
The one time I was supposed to go to a game in KC, it rained. I was on the way back from Colorado in August a few years ago, and it started raining in Boulder (where I was staying) on Tuesday afternoon. It rained all day Wednesday, and then on Thursday we left to drive to KC to go to the game that evening. We rode with the storm system all the way across Kansas, and the game got rained out, so I never even got to see the stadium. :(:

The next day we drove to St. Louis to go a day game there (part of a double header), and it rained the whole drive there and then drizzled through the whole game. We left there to drive up to Chicago in the evening, and we finally saw the sun by about 8 o'clock for the first time in days.

whitesoxwilkes
07-02-2007, 03:09 PM
I went to a Royals-Brewers game last summer and still had a blast. Great fun atmosphere and awesome BBQ.

C-Dawg
07-02-2007, 03:12 PM
...you folks have never been to Cleveland have you..

Yeah, Cleveland is awful.... I've been greeted with profanity each time I've been there. Almost makes me want to leave my Sox jerseys at home so as to not attract attention.

But you're right, KC is nice. A very pleasant park, with the little picnic area with grass and trees beyond the RF corner; makes it seem a lot like a minor-league or spring-training park. Sure, its a little dated, with the blue painted textured concrete looking like a snapshot of the 70s when it was built. I'm not sure what the renovations will bring, but I doubt they will change it too much - they know its pleasant enough already so they will probably just be tweaking things.

Brian26
07-02-2007, 03:17 PM
Great fun atmosphere and awesome BBQ.

:hawk
"Fiesty, there might be someone AS good as the Bertucci boys, but nobody is better."

ChetChat
07-02-2007, 04:11 PM
I agree with Chisoxfanatic, Kauffman is great. I was there back in October of 2003 for the last Sox series of the year... Fun times, beautiful field, clean town.
Plus the airport is so small (compared to Midway and ORD), the Sox charter was in our American Airlines security zone/ gate.
So as I was standing in line, I noticed Big Frank next to me. He was nice enough to autograph a ball I happened to have in my purse.
Oh for the good ole days, sigh.

whitesoxwilkes
07-02-2007, 04:27 PM
"Fiesty, there might be someone AS good as the Bertucci boys, but nobody is better."

"Dadgumit, Brian. I'm willin' to put a pint of Arthur Gates' liquid gold up against the Bertucci Boys any day. MERCY!"

DSpivack
07-02-2007, 10:38 PM

"Dadgumit, Brian. I'm willin' to put a pint of Arthur Gates' liquid gold up against the Bertucci Boys any day. MERCY!"

Arthur Gates? You mean Arthur Bryant's?

WagMan
07-02-2007, 11:34 PM
I have to respectfully disagree with the majority of posts in this thread. I didn't find Kauffman Stadium all that great at all. IMO, it's an oversized minor league park. The concourses are narrow, the food was a bit pricey, and there were troughs in the mens bathrooms. The only saving graces were the fountains and the fun area (field/mini golf) out past RF. The fans were nice, especially b/c our section was mostly Sox fans. But, of the dozen or so parks I've been too, I wouldn't rate it in my top 10. I do plan to visit after the renovations which should make for a nice upgrade...

slobes
07-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Kansas City is the only ballpark in the AL Central I haven't been to yet, and I've really been wanting to make it out there. Glad to hear it's a good ballpark.

wxkid23
07-03-2007, 11:29 AM
I have been going to games at Kauffman when the Sox are in town since I was a little kid. I like to stay at the Holiday Inn right across the street and within walking distance to the stadium.

It's in need of some renovations.. no doubt. It is however extremely easy to get around and the prices (outside of the food) are great.

I woulden't give the food at Kauffman a look.. it's overprized and poor compared to other parks. Definently come to the game full!!

goofymsfan
07-03-2007, 12:23 PM
When my mom and I visited there two years ago, we thought it was a very nice ball park. We even took the ball park tour and thought the tour was better done then the one at Miller Park. For and "older" park, I thought it was great. I got some good shots of the fountains both during the day and as the sun was setting. Very picturesque. It's definitely in my top 5 ballparks that I have visited.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f293/goofymsfan/2005_0722MO_TripSet10091.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f293/goofymsfan/2005_0725MO_TripSet20019.jpg

soxinem1
07-03-2007, 03:42 PM
I liked that park when it had turf, and I cannot stand fake grass.

I remember the hotel was right there, and the Denny's was right there too.

I also remember when they used to draw 35-40K a night. Still a great place to watch a ball game.

Easilly one of the best low-key stadiums in the country.

chisoxfanatic
07-03-2007, 04:09 PM
I talked with a very knowledgeable Royals fan on the Royal Express, and she gave me an insider as to what rennovations are going to be done over the next few years. They're widening the concourse, updating the facades in there, as well as adding seating in front of the fountains (which would be awesome seats). They're considering rotating the bullpens to go horizontally, like we have at our ballpark.

goofymsfan
07-03-2007, 06:57 PM
I liked that park when it had turf, and I cannot stand fake grass.

I remember the hotel was right there, and the Denny's was right there too.

I also remember when they used to draw 35-40K a night. Still a great place to watch a ball game.

Easilly one of the best low-key stadiums in the country.

Um, it now has real grass, it's not fake.

goofymsfan
07-03-2007, 07:00 PM
I talked with a very knowledgeable Royals fan on the Royal Express, and she gave me an insider as to what rennovations are going to be done over the next few years. They're widening the concourse, updating the facades in there, as well as adding seating in front of the fountains (which would be awesome seats). They're considering rotating the bullpens to go horizontally, like we have at our ballpark.

They actually have the plan for the renovations on their website under the Kauffman Stadium tab. I may have to plan another trip to KC once the renovations are completed.

Southsider101
07-04-2007, 09:41 PM
I have to respectfully disagree with the majority of posts in this thread. I didn't find Kauffman Stadium all that great at all. IMO, it's an oversized minor league (http://www.qklinkserver.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=92&k=minor%20league&st=1) park. The concourses are narrow, the food was a bit pricey, and there were troughs in the mens bathrooms. The only saving graces were the fountains and the fun area (field/mini golf (http://www.qklinkserver.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=92&k=mini%20golf&st=1)) out past RF. The fans were nice, especially b/c our section was mostly Sox fans. But, of the dozen or so parks I've been too, I wouldn't rate it in my top 10. I do plan to visit after the renovations which should make for a nice upgrade...
Overrated minor league ballpark? I don't think so! The Royals, on the field may be minor leauge, but the park itself is first rate. I've been there about half a dozen times, and each visit has very enjoyable. Excellent sight lines--the park was built for baseball and all of the seats face the diamond. Excellent barbeque--locally owned Gates and Son's is the house barbeque. Friendly staff and GREAT guest realations mark this as one ballpark that many teams could learn a thing or two from.

mwc44
07-04-2007, 09:53 PM
Overrated minor league ballpark? I don't think so! The Royals, on the field may be minor leauge, but the park itself is first rate. I've been there about half a dozen times, and each visit has very enjoyable. Excellent sight lines--the park was built for baseball and all of the seats face the diamond. Excellent barbeque--locally owned Gates and Son's is the house barbeque. Friendly staff and GREAT guest realations mark this as one ballpark that many teams could learn a thing or two from.

I second your review! Older, but a great stadium.

whitesoxwilkes
07-04-2007, 09:54 PM
Arthur Gates? You mean Arthur Bryant's?

"Whoops."

Brian26
07-05-2007, 09:56 AM
They're widening the concourse, updating the facades in there, as well as adding seating in front of the fountains (which would be awesome seats).

I'm disappointed they would consider doing that. I always liked the grassy areas in front of the fountains, and isn't KC the only stadium that doesn't have seats in the outfield (other than the corners)? I think this hurts the charm of the park.

Fenway
07-05-2007, 10:08 AM
Kaufman Stadium and Dodger Stadium have aged well.