PDA

View Full Version : Jenks Lone White Sox All Star

Viva Medias B's
07-01-2007, 06:07 PM
Jim Leyland selected Bobby Jenks to represent the White Sox at the All Star Game.

oeo
07-01-2007, 06:10 PM
He deserves it...congrats Bobby. :thumbsup:

Garland and Buehrle also have the numbers (besides wins, but that's not their fault), for at least one of them to go.

ChicagoG19
07-01-2007, 06:10 PM
He's probably the only one that deserves it, except for maybe buehrle.

munchman33
07-01-2007, 06:24 PM
Good thing he took Jenks. If it was someone else, there was a chance we'd have nobody representing us come the All-Star game.

BiggestFan14
Congrats to Jenks, at least he deserves it. Kind of sad though.

Maybe Garland or Buerhle will be on the final vote.

MDF3530
Maybe Mark or Garland will go as an injury replacement.

Mr. White Sox
07-01-2007, 06:25 PM
Believe it or not, I actually consider Garland and Buehrle borderline snubs. In any other year, these guys need to go, but there are just so many awesome AL pitchers this year.

Pitcher A: 9-3, 3.18 ERA, 1.17 WHIP (ALL-STAR)
Pitcher B: 5-4, 3.33 ERA, 1.10 WHIP
Pitcher C: 6-5, 3.15 ERA
Pitcher D: 5-6, 3.28 ERA (ALL-STAR)

Verlander (A) makes it because of his W/L record and that's it. He threw a no-hitter, but so did Buehrle (B). His ERA is low, but so is Garland's (C). Meche (D) makes it because he's a Royal.

Other snubs: Chad Gaudin (7-3, 2.92 ERA)
Kenji Johjima (.299/.337/.470) was bumped by Ivan Rodriguez (.283/.296/.449) because Tiger fans can't realize that a .296 OBP sucks.
Curtis Granderson (.289/.343/.558 .909 OPS) needs to go over Manny Ramirez, but there's no way Manny gets left off the team anymore just because he's a Red Sox.

EDIT: If Beckett starts over Haren, I give up.

GregoryEtc
07-01-2007, 06:43 PM
Maybe Garland or Buerhle will be on the final vote.

nope:
Jeremy Bonderman, DET
Pat Neshek, MIN
Kelvim Escobar, LAA
Hideki Okajima, BOS
Roy Halladay, TOR

Brandon Webb, ARI
Tom Gorzelanny, PIT
Chris Young, SD
Roy Oswalt, HOU
Carlos Zambrano, CHI

DeadMoney
07-01-2007, 06:43 PM
Final Vote up, Buehrle and Garland not on:

Bonderman
Escobar
Halladay
Neshek
Okajima

Check it out at the Final Vote link at MLB.com.

The Racehorse
07-01-2007, 06:45 PM
Congrats to Bobby :gulp:

DeadMoney
07-01-2007, 06:46 PM
Roy Oswalt, HOU

It seems like he's on this final vote thing every year. Jeez.

Mr. White Sox
07-01-2007, 06:49 PM
Neshek and Bonderman both deserve to go, but Okajima or Halladay will get the nod. If the AL wants to actually win the all-star game, they need to take Neshek. Why Buehrle and Garland were left off for Roy "I HAVE A 4.27 ERA" Halladay, Kelvim "*******" Escobar and Hideki "Just wait until the 2nd half when the league sees me for a second time" Okajima is anyone's guess.

BLRMKRdave
07-01-2007, 06:59 PM
Actually the Sox had 4 All Stars. Congrats to CLee, Arow, and Maggs.....wait not in OUR outfield anymore.

~BLRMKRdave

GregoryEtc
07-01-2007, 07:00 PM
I'm not going to get my boxers in a twist over it... we had seven.... SEVEN! all stars last year... including winning the last two last spot fan votes with AJ and Pods.

I'm guessing they went with Halladay over either of our guys for that very reason. TOR also only has 1 rep so its nice that they have a chance for another one.

TDog
07-01-2007, 07:16 PM
With rare exceptions, I don't believe relievers deserve to be named to the All-Star Game. While I'm happy for Bobby Jenks, I don't believe he deserves the honor. I'm sure the American League would rather have someone else in his place, but the White Sox need a representative.

misty60481
07-01-2007, 07:23 PM
In a way it might be a blessing---give our guys a 3 day rest and come out strong for second half---

DSpivack
07-01-2007, 08:15 PM
A team as bad as this one should only get one all-star. Buehrle and Garland may be borderline cases, but in a better year I'd be more upset at them not going.

Juice16
07-01-2007, 08:43 PM
How about the White Sox all star outfield of Lee - Rowand - Ordonez ?

MarySwiss
07-01-2007, 08:47 PM
How about the White Sox all star outfield of Lee - Rowand - Ordonez ?

Your point? I'm fine with all those guys making the All-Star team. I'll take the 2005 World Series over a beauty contest any old time.

Juice16
07-01-2007, 08:57 PM
Your point? I'm fine with all those guys making the All-Star team. I'll take the 2005 World Series over a beauty contest any old time.

My point is our old outfield made the all star team this year.

alohafri
07-01-2007, 09:00 PM
I was kinda hoping that Buehrle was our lone representative. Then when Kenny trades him, we have no one.

alohafri
07-01-2007, 09:18 PM
nope:
Jeremy Bonderman, DET
Pat Neshek, MIN
Kelvim Escobar, LAA
Hideki Okajima, BOS
Roy Halladay, TOR

Brandon Webb, ARI
Tom Gorzelanny, PIT
Chris Young, SD
Roy Oswalt, HOU
Carlos Zambrano, CHI

Anyone want to pick a national leaguer to vote for to keep Zambrano out of there? :redneck

GlassSox
07-01-2007, 09:36 PM
Great for Bobby Jenks, he deserves it! :cool:

oeo
07-01-2007, 10:03 PM
Believe it or not, I actually consider Garland and Buehrle borderline snubs. In any other year, these guys need to go, but there are just so many awesome AL pitchers this year.

Pitcher A: 9-3, 3.18 ERA, 1.17 WHIP (ALL-STAR)
Pitcher B: 5-4, 3.33 ERA, 1.10 WHIP
Pitcher C: 6-5, 3.15 ERA
Pitcher D: 5-6, 3.28 ERA (ALL-STAR)

Verlander (A) makes it because of his W/L record and that's it. He threw a no-hitter, but so did Buehrle (B). His ERA is low, but so is Garland's (C). Meche (D) makes it because he's a Royal.

Other snubs: Chad Gaudin (7-3, 2.92 ERA)
Kenji Johjima (.299/.337/.470) was bumped by Ivan Rodriguez (.283/.296/.449) because Tiger fans can't realize that a .296 OBP sucks.
Curtis Granderson (.289/.343/.558 .909 OPS) needs to go over Manny Ramirez, but there's no way Manny gets left off the team anymore just because he's a Red Sox.

EDIT: If Beckett starts over Haren, I give up.

You forgot to put Beckett in there. He has the 11 wins on Buehrle and Garland, but that's it. I'm alright with it because I think any of them are deserving, but the way ESPN has been talking up Beckett, you would have thought he has a 0.50 ERA.

nope:
Jeremy Bonderman, DET
Pat Neshek, MIN
Kelvim Escobar, LAA
Hideki Okajima, BOS
Roy Halladay, TOR

Now this is a ****ing joke. Not only have Buehrle and Garland, both, been better than Bonderman...Bonderman hasn't even pitched all year. He has a 4.99 ERA in June; the only reason he's 8-1 is because of the run support he's been getting. And Roy Halladay having an All Star season? :rolling:

That pisses me off.

Anyone want to pick a national leaguer to vote for to keep Zambrano out of there? :redneck

I don't even understand why he's on there. Those are not All Star numbers, not even close.

jshanahanjr
07-01-2007, 11:05 PM
Vote for Gorzelanny to shut big Z out. He's from Evergreen Park and went to Marist HS. I beleive he grew up a Sox fan too.

flo-B-flo
07-01-2007, 11:22 PM
Actually the Sox had 4 All Stars. Congrats to CLee, Arow, and Maggs.....wait not in OUR outfield anymore.

~BLRMKRdave and Rowand

bahn1225
07-01-2007, 11:30 PM
Bobby Jenks, him lone WHITE SOX :yup:

Michael Young, him Lone Ranger:rolling:

salty99
07-02-2007, 12:00 AM
I'll be voting for Neshek and Chris Young.

soxfanreggie
07-02-2007, 12:40 AM
Congrats Bobby, you've been a great closer, too bad we haven't given you much more save opportunities this year.

Mr. White Sox
07-02-2007, 12:42 AM
I'll be voting for Neshek and Chris Young.

As will I. I also left out Erik Bedard as another snub; he's really turned his season around and is due for an awesome 2nd half. He at least should be on that final vote over Halladay, Okajima and Escobar.

EDIT: I'd also like to add this hilarious little tidbit, from an ESPN.com poll:

Who was the biggest snub among AL Pitchers?
-Erik Bedard
-Joe Blanton
-Jeremy Bonderman
-Kelvim Escobar
-Roy Halladay
-Hideki Okajima
-Daisuke Matsuzaka
-Joe Nathan

Garland and Buehrle are, of course, absent from the ESPN hype machine.

Why aren't Tim Wakefield, Curt Schilling, Jon Lester, Clay Buchholz, Julian Tavarez on that list too?

chisoxfanatic
07-02-2007, 11:25 AM
I'm surprised Buehrle wasn't selected. Oh, well, he will get to rest and be ready for us in Baltimore!

Sox
07-02-2007, 12:43 PM
Neshek and Bonderman both deserve to go, but Okajima or Halladay will get the nod. If the AL wants to actually win the all-star game, they need to take Neshek. Why Buehrle and Garland were left off for Roy "I HAVE A 4.27 ERA" Halladay, Kelvim "*******" Escobar and Hideki "Just wait until the 2nd half when the league sees me for a second time" Okajima is anyone's guess.

Baseball politics I guess.:?:

Jerome
07-02-2007, 02:42 PM
God do I hate the all star game. It's just a popularity contest and the fact that it decides the fate of the world series just makes me sick. If people had their way it would be nothing but Yankees, BoSox vs Cubs and Mets. And the home run derby? Nothing but pure ESPN hype.

rdwj
07-02-2007, 03:00 PM
Good thing he took Jenks. If it was someone else, there was a chance we'd have nobody representing us come the All-Star game.

Every team HAS to be represented

Etownsox13
07-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Every team HAS to be represented

Not if there was someone who could not make it due to injury etc. selected initially and then replaced by someone else.

mrfourni
07-02-2007, 03:24 PM
Not if there was someone who could not make it due to injury etc. selected initially and then replaced by someone else.

Or I think if that representative gets traded prior to the all-star game. Does anyone know if another player would be named in that case?

TDog
07-02-2007, 04:21 PM
Or I think if that representative gets traded prior to the all-star game. Does anyone know if another player would be named in that case?

I don't know if this has ever been directly addressed, but there are a couple of things to consider.

When Ozzie Guillen was the only member of the Sox to be named to the All-Star team, and an injury wouldn't allow him to play, the replacement came from a team other than the Sox. When Carl Everett was named as a Ranger and was traded to the White Sox, he wore a White Sox uniform at the game. He wasn't to be the only Ranger, though.

If Mark Buehrle were the only member of the team from the Sox, he wouldn't be removed from the team because he was traded. There would be no opening on the team to select a different Sox player. I believe baseball would see no reason to name a Sox player if the Sox traded their only "worthy" All-Star (although he may not have been named if the league didn't have to name at least one player).

I don't believe the White Sox would have any representation in such circumstances.

thomas35forever
07-02-2007, 05:16 PM
God do I hate the all star game. It's just a popularity contest and the fact that it decides the fate of the world series just makes me sick. If people had their way it would be nothing but Yankees, BoSox vs Cubs and Mets. And the home run derby? Nothing but pure ESPN hype.
Actually, the way voting went this year, there weren't many players voted to start on those teams. I'm not gonna gripe about the popularity issue this year. Maybe it's because our team has underachieved so much this year.

oeo
07-02-2007, 05:29 PM
Actually, the way voting went this year, there weren't many players voted to start on those teams. I'm not gonna gripe about the popularity issue this year. Maybe it's because our team has underachieved so much this year.

The Mets have three starters, and the only one that deserves it is Reyes.

The Yankees and Red Sox have three, as well. A-Rod should definitely be starting, Jeter is so-so, and Ortiz doesn't even play first base.

Even Detoilet somehow got involved. I-Roid a starter? That's funny...

Mr. White Sox
07-02-2007, 11:58 PM
The Mets have three starters, and the only one that deserves it is Reyes.

The Yankees and Red Sox have three, as well. A-Rod should definitely be starting, Jeter is so-so, and Ortiz doesn't even play first base.

Even Detoilet somehow got involved. I-Roid a starter? That's funny...

I still don't get how MLB can allow Ortiz on the ballot at 1B. I mean, it just reeks of PR ... oh wait, now it makes sense.

Let's put Thome on the ballot at 2B next year!