PDA

View Full Version : Brewers and Marlins scouting the Sox

Rockabilly
07-01-2007, 04:34 PM
Gonzales believes the Marlins may be looking at Triple A center fielder Brian Anderson. He mentions that the Fish have been fans of BA for quite a while. Anderson is currently a member of the Charlotte Knights, but did not play in today's blowout against Pawtucket. Anderson is 25 now and hitting just .239/.302/.364 in Triple A. A fresh start in a new organization could help.
Gonzales says the Brewers have been scouting Chicago's pitching. Not sure how a team that just demoted Yovani Gallardo to the bullpen would be in need of pitching, but you can never have too much.

Source Mlb trade rumors

Mr. White Sox
07-01-2007, 04:49 PM
Trading Brian for 50 cents on the dollar is a dumb move, if the Sox do it. Unlike Borchard, Anderson has awesome defensive ability and has a correctable swing; it's long, but so Rowand's and Crede's swings were long and robotic for a while. Trading Anderson right now would be a big mistake.

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-01-2007, 05:06 PM
Trading Brian for 50 cents on the dollar is a dumb move, if the Sox do it. Unlike Borchard, Anderson has awesome defensive ability and has a correctable swing; it's long, but so Rowand's and Crede's swings were long and robotic for a while. Trading Anderson right now would be a big mistake.

The problem with Anderson is KW and Ozzie seem to have a vendetta against him.

Tragg
07-01-2007, 05:31 PM
Trading Brian for 50 cents on the dollar is a dumb move, if the Sox do it. Unlike Borchard, Anderson has awesome defensive ability and has a correctable swing;
Extremely dumb.

Smart move by the Marlins, swooping in on someone we just might give away...we released Tracey after he wouldn't headhunt for Vasquez, as ordered by Ozzie (now he didn't have 1/4 of the potential Anderson has)

Selling low is ridiculous, and I hope we give him a chance.

Foulke You
07-01-2007, 09:40 PM
Gonzales believes the Marlins may be looking at Triple A center fielder Brian Anderson. He mentions that the Fish have been fans of BA for quite a while. Anderson is currently a member of the Charlotte Knights, but did not play in today's blowout against Pawtucket. Anderson is 25 now and hitting just .239/.302/.364 in Triple A. A fresh start in a new organization could help.
Gonzales says the Brewers have been scouting Chicago's pitching. Not sure how a team that just demoted Yovani Gallardo to the bullpen would be in need of pitching, but you can never have too much.

Source Mlb trade rumors
Looking at the Brew Crew's rotation, I think Jose Contreras would be an upgrade over anyone they're trotting out in the back end of that rotation. (DAVE Bush for example) Mark Buehrle would be an upgrade over anyone in that rotation including Ben Sheets. So, I can see why the Brewers would be interested in adding pitching.

y2j2785
07-01-2007, 10:00 PM
I dont know if the Brewers are really that desperate for more starting pitching as this guy that they called up, Randy Gallardo, has been pitching pretty good thus far. They actually don't know what to do with him once Chris Capuano comes off of the disabled list.

Mr. White Sox
07-01-2007, 10:03 PM
I dont know if the Brewers are really that desperate for more starting pitching as this guy that they called up, Randy Gallardo, has been pitching pretty good thus far. They actually don't know what to do with him once Chris Capuano comes off of the disabled list.

It's Yovani Gallardo, and they're moving him to the bullpen once Capuano comes back from what I've heard.

FedEx227
07-01-2007, 10:23 PM
Looking at the Brew Crew's rotation, I think Jose Contreras would be an upgrade over anyone they're trotting out in the back end of that rotation. (Homer Bush for example) Mark Buehrle would be an upgrade over anyone in that rotation including Ben Sheets. So, I can see why the Brewers would be interested in adding pitching.

Dave Bush

And he was 12-11 last year with a 4.41 ERA with 166 Ks in 210 IP.

So, he was quite far from crappy.

UserNameBlank
07-01-2007, 10:29 PM
The problem with Anderson is KW and Ozzie seem to have a vendetta against him.
I could see how you could say that about Ozzie, but Kenny? Kenny laid the foundation for Brian to be the everyday starter in CF this year. Erstad was brought in after Pods had surgery and was supposed to get AB's here and there at LF, CF, and 1B. Ozzie is the one who didn't play him.

UserNameBlank
07-01-2007, 10:33 PM
Extremely dumb.

Smart move by the Marlins, swooping in on someone we just might give away...we released Tracey after he wouldn't headhunt for Vasquez, as ordered by Ozzie (now he didn't have 1/4 of the potential Anderson has)

Selling low is ridiculous, and I hope we give him a chance.
I don't really think he'll get a chance with the Sox. I agree that selling low is a dumb move, but I'd rather see him get an opportunity somewhere else than stick in Charlotte for the rest of the year.

DSpivack
07-01-2007, 11:23 PM
Dave Bush

I thought he really meant Homer Bush (http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/bushho01.shtml).

FedEx227
07-01-2007, 11:25 PM
I thought he really meant Homer Bush (http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/bushho01.shtml).

Man I use to love that guy. I wish some team would just sign him for giggles.

russ99
07-02-2007, 09:37 AM
I don't really think he'll get a chance with the Sox. I agree that selling low is a dumb move, but I'd rather see him get an opportunity somewhere else than stick in Charlotte for the rest of the year.

If the Sox can get a decent quality player for Anderson, like they got in the Borchard deal, I'd go for it. It certainly looks like he won't play for the Sox again this year, or at least until Sept. call-ups.

I also don't see this as selling low. What Brian has is potential and teams will trade for that. However if Brian plays a full year with the Sox and still underperforms, the return would be much less than the Sox could get now. The risk in dealing him is the Sox looking bad if Anderson busts out and plays to his potential with another team/change of scenery, which certainly could happen.

Tragg
07-02-2007, 10:58 AM
I care about the Sox, not Anderson and certainly not Guillen's ego. In my opinion it's in the interest of the Sox to give him a chance and not sell him for what we got for Borchard (a risky pitcher on which we got lucky).

Gonzalez and Torrero can hit .220 out of the 1 and 2 holes, and Ozzie's perfectly happy.

Sweeney and Anderson hit .220 out of the EIGHT AND NINE holes, and Ozzie has a fit.

Go figure.

jabrch
07-02-2007, 11:07 AM
I corrected it for you.

The problem with Anderson is fans believe that KW and Ozzie have a vendetta against him when the truth is that he just isn't hitting minor league pitching.

jabrch
07-02-2007, 11:10 AM
I care about the Sox, not Anderson and certainly not Guillen's ego. In my opinion it's in the interest of the Sox to give him a chance and not sell him for what we got for Borchard (a risky pitcher on which we got lucky).

Because Joe has done WHAT?

Gonzalez and Torrero can hit .220 out of the 1 and 2 holes, and Ozzie's perfectly happy.

Sweeney and Anderson hit .220 out of the EIGHT AND NINE holes, and Ozzie has a fit.

Go figure.

That's just such a misrepresentation of reality.

Sweeney and Anderson are considered future players on this club - if they aren't succeeding here, KW and OG sent them somewhere where they can get everyday work and instruction. Gonzalez and Terrrero, if this team is a contender, are just role players.

Tragg
07-02-2007, 12:26 PM
Because Joe has done WHAT?

Nothing, which is my point....don't sell Anderson for the price at which we sold mr nothing.

Foulke You
07-02-2007, 02:16 PM
Dave Bush

DAVE Bush (don't know why I typed ol' Homer Bush in there) is 6W-7L this year with a 5.11 E.R.A. in the lighter hitting NL. I still say Contreras would be an upgrade over him and Buehrle is better than anything in their rotation currently. When October rolls around, you can never have too much starting pitching.

JB98
07-02-2007, 04:09 PM
Nothing, which is my point....don't sell Anderson for the price at which we sold mr nothing.

So, if we could trade Anderson for a relief pitcher who could help our bullpen now and in the future you'd object?

Anderson's value has been dropping steadily for a year and a half. His value might not be much now. What makes you think it will be any higher in the future?

upperdeckusc
07-02-2007, 04:30 PM

Go figure.

as ridiculous as that statement looks from afar, its so true. i get the idea of "wanting to win now" and not just grooming rookies, but when we dont have clear cut better options then these kids, LET THEM PLAY!

Tragg
07-02-2007, 04:31 PM
So, if we could trade Anderson for a relief pitcher who could help our bullpen now and in the future you'd object?

Anderson's value has been dropping steadily for a year and a half. His value might not be much now. What makes you think it will be any higher in the future?
Absolutely not - a promising young outfielder who plays stellar defense is worth FAR more than a middle reliever. He is also worth far more than a flop middle reliever, which Thornton was until we rehabilitated him. Borchard a flop brought Thornton, a flop....flop for flop. If our coaches are good enough to rehabilitate flop pitchers, that's our edge - we should play flop price

Anderson was a top prospect - so much a prospect that we traded an elite prospect, YOung, because we had him....as it is, Anderson has accomplished as much as Lastings Milledge in the big leagues...where's Milledge's value, despite a low batting average? A lot of people would be thrilled if Milledge were a center piece of a MB deal (I wouldn't but most would)...what's he got on Anderson other than perhaps a higher raw potential? Anderson plays 1/2 a season and then platoons for another 1/2, stellar defense all the way through, and he's a flop. Baloney. Anderson's value is dropping because the Sox are dropping it.l Anyway, who is a better CF right now on this team? Who was last year at this time?
Publically criticize 9-hole hitters for hitting .220 (Anderson, Sweeney, Fields) doesn't help value; especially when a .220 hitter in the TWO hole is lauded and plays every day. Welcome to the land of Oz.

JB98
07-02-2007, 06:31 PM
Absolutely not - a promising young outfielder who plays stellar defense is worth FAR more than a middle reliever. He is also worth far more than a flop middle reliever, which Thornton was until we rehabilitated him. Borchard a flop brought Thornton, a flop....flop for flop. If our coaches are good enough to rehabilitate flop pitchers, that's our edge - we should play flop price

Anderson was a top prospect - so much a prospect that we traded an elite prospect, YOung, because we had him....as it is, Anderson has accomplished as much as Lastings Milledge in the big leagues...where's Milledge's value, despite a low batting average? A lot of people would be thrilled if Milledge were a center piece of a MB deal (I wouldn't but most would)...what's he got on Anderson other than perhaps a higher raw potential? Anderson plays 1/2 a season and then platoons for another 1/2, stellar defense all the way through, and he's a flop. Baloney. Anderson's value is dropping because the Sox are dropping it.l Anyway, who is a better CF right now on this team? Who was last year at this time?
Publically criticize 9-hole hitters for hitting .220 (Anderson, Sweeney, Fields) doesn't help value; especially when a .220 hitter in the TWO hole is lauded and plays every day. Welcome to the land of Oz.

Well, Anderson could help himself by hitting higher than .240 in Charlotte. It's getting to be ****-or-get-off-the-pot time for BA. He's going to be 26. He's not really a prospect anymore.

He isn't doing anything for this organization, so I would love to get a decent middle reliever for him. In addition, I don't disagree with the notion that BA could use a change of scenery.

I never said anything about Lastings Milledge. I think the Sox should sign Buerhle, not trade him for a guy who has already flopped his first opportunity in the big leagues.