PDA

View Full Version : Today's unis

nug0hs
07-01-2007, 04:54 PM
Just a quick ?...what year?

SoxandtheCityTee
07-01-2007, 06:02 PM
Negro league unis today -- don't know what year though.

4th Gen. Sox Fan
07-01-2007, 06:06 PM
From 1945

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-01-2007, 06:21 PM
The Chicago American Giants.

TDog
07-01-2007, 07:19 PM
The Chicago American Giants.

You would have thought that with throwback uniforms, Pierzynski would have done something with men on base.

eriqjaffe
07-01-2007, 11:13 PM
You would have thought that with throwback uniforms, Pierzynski would have done something with men on base.Technically, stranding them is doing something...

soxfanreggie
07-02-2007, 12:45 AM
I wonder if you can get one of these jerseys on-line somewhere. I thought they looked pretty sharp.

MeteorsSox4367
07-02-2007, 12:55 AM
Yeah, they were cool. I'd still like to see the Sox bring back the red 70s pinstripes for a throwback game. Just to see the red stirrups with the Sox logo on 'em would be sweet.

A few seasons ago, they wore unis from the 50s in Cleveland for a retro day. They were plain and simple with "Chicago" across the chest. Those were some of the best unis I've ever seen.

Sox
07-02-2007, 01:05 AM
Yeah, they were cool. I'd still like to see the Sox bring back the red 70s pinstripes for a throwback game. Just to see the red stirrups with the Sox logo on 'em would be sweet.

A few seasons ago, they wore unis from the 50s in Cleveland for a retro day. They were plain and simple with "Chicago" across the chest. Those were some of the best unis I've ever seen.

I agree about the 70's unis. Would love to see those make a comeback.:)

Nellie_Fox
07-02-2007, 01:31 AM
I didn't get to see the game; only listened to it on XM. Did the guys wear their pants down to their shoe tops like they did with the '59 uniforms?

I really wish that they would wear throwbacks the way they were intended to be worn.

CHISOXFAN13
07-02-2007, 01:37 AM
I didn't get to see the game; only listened to it on XM. Did the guys wear their pants down to their shoe tops like they did with the '59 uniforms?

I really wish that they would wear throwbacks the way they were intended to be worn.

Everyone seemed to have them bloused at the knees today.

DrCrawdad
07-02-2007, 01:38 AM

Ah, those red 70's unis of my youth. I still remember a plastic helmet I had from a promotion.

Sunday's throwbacks were very, very cool, both the ones the Sox wore and the Royals. I thought so much of the Monarchs unis that I thought the Royals should permanently change to the Monarchs.

Nellie_Fox
07-02-2007, 01:39 AM
Everyone seemed to have them bloused at the knees today.Cool. I wish I'd have seen it. I'll have to go looking around the web to find some pictures.

DrCrawdad
07-02-2007, 01:40 AM

I can't say I recall what every player did but I know that Jenks had the pants to just below his knees.

DrCrawdad
07-02-2007, 01:43 AM
Cool. I wish I'd have seen it. I'll have to go looking around the web to find some pictures.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2007-07/30900837.jpg

Nellie_Fox
07-02-2007, 01:46 AM
Thanks Doc. That's the way baseball players are supposed to look (minus blowing a bubble as you slide, of course.)

And they should be striped stirrups, not soccer socks. But I can't have everything.

thomas35forever
07-02-2007, 01:59 AM
When are we gonna have a Negro Leagues Day with uniforms and everything? Those uniforms need to make another appearance. BTW, can someone explain to me the 2004 Day in Tampa? Was there a Negro League team in that area?

DrCrawdad
07-02-2007, 03:19 AM
Thanks Doc. That's the way baseball players are supposed to look (minus blowing a bubble as you slide, of course.)

You shouldn't be blowing a bubble when you're in the midst of a play and especially when the caption reads...

Kansas City shortstop Tony Pena Jr. makes the tag on the Sox's Andy Gonzalez, who was caught stealing to end the eighth inning Sunday.

TornLabrum
07-02-2007, 08:42 AM
Hmmm...looks like they were wearing stocking instead of stirrups, though. The stirrups back then were low, but you could still see them.

delben91
07-02-2007, 09:07 AM
I actually consider buying a Chicago American Giants jersey like the Sox sported yesterday.

Anyone know if there's a Negro League Baseball shop online that sells them?

kaufsox
07-02-2007, 09:52 AM
I actually consider buying a Chicago American Giants jersey like the Sox sported yesterday.

Anyone know if there's a Negro League Baseball shop online that sells them?

Don't know if they have a shop online, but the Negro League Hall of Fame in KC has an incredible selection of all things Negro League. If anything I'm sure you can order over the phone. There was/is a shop in Memphis that deals strictly with the NL. When I finished my MA thesis about the Pittsburgh Crawfords I got a replica cap to celebrate the occassion from the Memphis shop.

eriqjaffe
07-02-2007, 10:38 AM
http://www.nlbm.com/s/store.cfm

They don't have a big selection on-line, though.

Ebbets Field Flannels has a pretty good selection, too, although you have to dig around a bit:

http://www.ebbets.com

Sox
07-02-2007, 12:50 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2007-07/30900837.jpg

:thumbsup: Thanks for posting the pic.

Lip Man 1
07-02-2007, 01:01 PM
Those Sox uniforms look a lot in lettering style and color to the uniforms won for a period of time by the Angels in the early 90's I think.

Lip