PDA

View Full Version : Mike Hargrove gone

Rockabilly
07-01-2007, 02:24 PM
According to a report on the Seattle Times website, Mariners manager Mike Hargrove is resigning.

The unexpected news comes in the middle of a seven-game winning streak that has launched the Mariners into the thick of the AL wild-card race.

No details were immediately available regarding the reason for Hargrove's resignation, but the team has called a major press conference at Safeco Field for 11:30 a.m. PT.
Seattle began the day just four games behind the Angels in the AL West and one game behind the Tigers in the wild-card hunt. Hargrove was hired just prior to the 2005 season. Bench coach John McLaren would be the likely choice to replace Hargrove as manager.

crazyozzie02
07-01-2007, 02:28 PM
heres the MLB linky: http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070701&content_id=2060013&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

same basic stuff. this is truly shocking.

The Racehorse
07-01-2007, 02:40 PM
I wouldn't have been surprised if Hargrove had been dumped this year during a Seattle swoon, but during a 7 game winning streak?

I wonder if Girardi like Seattle lattes?

areilly
07-01-2007, 03:15 PM
I wouldn't have been surprised if Hargrove had been dumped this year during a Seattle swoon, but during a 7 game winning streak?

I wonder if Girardi like Seattle lattes?

If this is how the Mariners run their organization, no wonder they're such a mess. Even when they're winning they find a way to lose.

Maybe the owners are trying to pull a "Major League" and drop attendance so low that they can get out of their lease?

areilly
07-01-2007, 03:25 PM
Looks like he left on his own:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6979424?MSNHPHMA

"Over the past several weeks, I have come to the realization that to be fair to myself and the team, I cannot continue to do this job if my passion has begun to fade," the 57-year-old Hargrove said in a statement.

The Racehorse
07-01-2007, 04:29 PM
After watching the video, I'd guess that Hargrove decided there are other things he'd like to do other than continually grind it out over a 6-month baseball season...

I cannot continue to do this job if my passion has begun to fade

I wonder if Girardi likes Seattle lattes? :D:

lumpyspun
07-01-2007, 05:23 PM
The players seemed really shocked from interviews I heard here on the radio. He really blindsided them with it.

goofymsfan
07-01-2007, 08:48 PM
He blindsided pretty much everyone. Only the higher ups knew what was going done. I truly hope that he is leaving on his own terms and is not being forced out. He got the club turned around very quickly and going in the right direction. I think McLaren will do a fine job taking over though it's got to be a touch situation to step into. Hargrove said he will still be on board as a consultant. I wish him the best.

lumpyspun
07-01-2007, 08:56 PM
I've already heard the nutjob sports radio guys talking about it might have been Ichiro's doing, indirectly.

Their scenario is that he told the M's, "it' either him or me."

goofymsfan
07-01-2007, 09:02 PM
I've already heard the nutjob sports radio guys talking about it might have been Ichiro's doing, indirectly.

Their scenario is that he told the M's, "it' either him or me."

I really hope that that is not the case, or I will have lost all respect for Ichiro. Grover got this team on the winning path. They are 12 games over .500, 4 games out of 1st in the west and currently .5 game out in the wild card race and just won their 8th game in a row after sweeping aside both the BoSox and Blue Jays. Hargrove seemed extremely sincere in his speeches both pre-game and post game. Bavasi even said he tried to talk Grover out of leaving. Hargrove's wife got on both pre and post game as well and seemed to have some had some influence on his decision. I wish him the best and I hope he is able to enjoy the time with his family. His wife said they are getting a red truck and heading down to California to watch their son play at High Desert (in the M's farm system).

getonbckthr
07-01-2007, 10:03 PM
I remember hearing for the past year that Hargrove and Ichiro do not get along. Ichiro is the best player and is their meal ticket in Seattle.

Foulke You
07-01-2007, 10:45 PM
One word for Mariners fans: "Dustiny" :tongue:

lumpyspun
07-01-2007, 11:39 PM
I really hope that that is not the case, or I will have lost all respect for Ichiro. Grover got this team on the winning path. They are 12 games over .500, 4 games out of 1st in the west and currently .5 game out in the wild card race and just won their 8th game in a row after sweeping aside both the BoSox and Blue Jays. Hargrove seemed extremely sincere in his speeches both pre-game and post game. Bavasi even said he tried to talk Grover out of leaving. Hargrove's wife got on both pre and post game as well and seemed to have some had some influence on his decision. I wish him the best and I hope he is able to enjoy the time with his family. His wife said they are getting a red truck and heading down to California to watch their son play at High Desert (in the M's farm system).

Yea, I really think Hargrove was sincere. I thought it was really interesting and a good look at his decision when he said, "I talked to my wife more in the last 10 days (coming up with this decision) then I had in the last 10 years."