PDA

View Full Version : Why ??

misty60481
07-01-2007, 12:39 PM
I dont see why MB wants to come back,, the Sox have not given any support to the pitchers,, there hitting is terrible,,we won 5 of 6 and its been mostly due to our pitching staff.. The other night they put an outfield of Podsednik,, Terrero,, & Gonzales--combined 7 HRS.. & 19 RBIs.. thats pathetic plus we had Cintron--0 Hrs.. 7 RBIs--on 3rd base and he couldnt even throw the ball to 1st base without bouncing it.. I like Fields--2Hrs. 11 RBIs,, but he is still a ways from being a major threat..To make matters worse we have no one in minors that that is even close to ready to step in.. All the other teams in our division have either stayed the same or improved,, something has to be done--its getting frustrating--are you listening KW---

skobabe8
07-01-2007, 12:53 PM
I dont see why MB wants to come back,, the Sox have not given any support to the pitchers,, there hitting is terrible,,we won 5 of 6 and its been mostly due to our pitching staff.. The other night they put an outfield of Podsednik,, Terrero,, & Gonzales--combined 7 HRS.. & 19 RBIs.. thats pathetic plus we had Cintron--0 Hrs.. 7 RBIs--on 3rd base and he couldnt even throw the ball to 1st base without bouncing it.. I like Fields--2Hrs. 11 RBIs,, but he is still a ways from being a major threat..To make matters worse we have no one in minors that that is even close to ready to step in.. All the other teams in our division have either stayed the same or improved,, something has to be done--its getting frustrating--are you listening KW---

I would guess that MB takes other factors into in his decision to come back or not. Not just our outfield during one game.

jcw218
07-01-2007, 01:22 PM

The home run is not the end all and be all in baseball. You need a balance between being able to produce runs without hitting the home run. Look at the White Sox from 2001 to 2004 for instance. They could hit the home run like it was nothing but they had a hard time manufacturing runs. Offense wins games but pitching and defense win championships. I know this may sound cliche, but good pitching will stop good hitting 95% of the time.

While i like a blowout every once in a while, I would rather see a game that is 1-0, 2-1 etc that features good pitching, good fielding, and timely hitting. That may seem boring to some people but that is the type of game that I like rather than a slug fest that ends 15-12.

nsolo
07-01-2007, 01:26 PM
I feel your frustration. For whatever reason MB wishes to stay, I accept them. I just hope it comes to be true.

I do disagree with those that say baseball is only a business, and business decisions are guided by bottom line figures. In my opinion, baseball is 50/50, a sport AND a business. Unlike other organizations that offer services or products, baseball in selling entertainment to supportive fans. And most fans, to be considered good fans, support their team through think and thin.

This isn't the case with other businesses. If they offer inferior products, customers go elsewhere. But being a sport, baseball enjoys a certain level of fan/customer support that is unique. For instance, despite a poor season, no Sox fan I know will be rooting for the northsiders, hoping to receive a better product. Like they'd get it!:smile:

I believe that most baseball owners run their business from the standpoint of protecting their fan base rather than accepting the gamble of spending more in an effort to improving their competitiveness. Let's not forget comments heard a few years ago that stated (paraphrase) "if more fans would come out to see the games, we could afford to field better players". The same people that said that are still running the show. In '05 they tripped over and won the WS despite being the same people that for many years prior we wanted out as owners of our team. JR and Co. lucked out in 2005, which I'm so glad they did, but now its back to business as usual.

What worries me is that if we are going to stand strong in not overpaying potential free agents, can we at least bolster our farm system? I, as a singular fan, only ask for a the fielding of a competitive team. A team that has basic skills and the ability to project an optimistic attitude towards the fans whereby we can be proud of them.

Some of the figures I've heard being offered MB, to be sure, stuns me. At my rate of income, I would have to work for hundreds of years to make that kind of dough. Yet, if a good business man is just that, what kind of money are they raking in to payout those types of salaries?

RowanDye
07-01-2007, 01:35 PM
The home run is not the end all and be all in baseball. You need a balance between being able to produce runs without hitting the home run. Look at the White Sox from 2001 to 2004 for instance. They could hit the home run like it was nothing but they had a hard time manufacturing runs. Offense wins games but pitching and defense win championships. I know this may sound cliche, but good pitching will stop good hitting 95% of the time.

While i like a blowout every once in a while, I would rather see a game that is 1-0, 2-1 etc that features good pitching, good fielding, and timely hitting. That may seem boring to some people but that is the type of game that I like rather than a slug fest that ends 15-12.

White Sox Home Run Totals
'02 - 217 (3rd most in MLB)
'03 - 220 (5th)
'04 - 242 (1st)
'05 - 200 (5th)
'06 - 236 (1st)
'07 - 72 (20th)

The homerun has always been a big part of the White Sox game, except for this year of course where it's been more about strikeouts and groundouts. If you're not hitting homeruns in USCF, you're going to lose games. Even in '05 we hit a lot of homeruns, and won a lot of games with the homer. I'm all for a balanced offense, but I don't think a team like the Angels really fits our ballpark. If we don't re-sign Dye, we will need to replace him with some pop.

Corlose 15
07-01-2007, 01:39 PM
White Sox Home Run Totals
'02 - 217 (3rd most in MLB)
'03 - 220 (5th)
'04 - 242 (1st)
'05 - 200 (5th)
'06 - 236 (1st)
'07 - 72 (20th)

The homerun has always been a big part of the White Sox game, except for this year of course where it's been more about strikeouts and groundouts. If you're not hitting homeruns in USCF, you're going to lose games. Even in '05 we hit a lot of homeruns, and won a lot of games with the homer. I'm all for a balanced offense, but I don't think a team like the Angels really fits our ballpark. If we don't re-sign Dye, we will need to replace him with some pop.

I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to resigning Dye at a reasonable price but it'd be interesting to see what they can get for him. What they need to do is sign Buehrle and trade Contreras for good value.

Then you've got a good young rotation for years to come and you can build up the lineup and bullpen from there.

They really need to get Sweeney, Anderson, Fields etc developed though because they can't go outside the organization for all of these problems.

RowanDye
07-01-2007, 01:39 PM
I feel your frustration. For whatever reason MB wishes to stay, I accept them. I just hope it comes to be true.

I do disagree with those that say baseball is only a business, and business decisions are guided by bottom line figures. In my opinion, baseball is 50/50, a sport AND a business. Unlike other organizations that offer services or products, baseball in selling entertainment to supportive fans. And most fans, to be considered good fans, support their team through think and thin.

This isn't the case with other businesses. If they offer inferior products, customers go elsewhere. But being a sport, baseball enjoys a certain level of fan/customer support that is unique. For instance, despite a poor season, no Sox fan I know will be rooting for the northsiders, hoping to receive a better product. Like they'd get it!:smile:

I believe that most baseball owners run their business from the standpoint of protecting their fan base rather than accepting the gamble of spending more in an effort to improving their competitiveness. Let's not forget comments heard a few years ago that stated (paraphrase) "if more fans would come out to see the games, we could afford to field better players". The same people that said that are still running the show. In '05 they tripped over and won the WS despite being the same people that for many years prior we wanted out as owners of our team. JR and Co. lucked out in 2005, which I'm so glad they did, but now its back to business as usual.

What worries me is that if we are going to stand strong in not overpaying potential free agents, can we at least bolster our farm system? I, as a singular fan, only ask for a the fielding of a competitive team. A team that has basic skills and the ability to project an optimistic attitude towards the fans whereby we can be proud of them.

Some of the figures I've heard being offered MB, to be sure, stuns me. At my rate of income, I would have to work for hundreds of years to make that kind of dough. Yet, if a good business man is just that, what kind of money are they raking in to payout those types of salaries?

Let's wait until KW actually makes a move before we form the lynch mob. We did win 90 games last year and I didn't hear anyone calling us lucky.

TomParrish79
07-01-2007, 01:46 PM
if I were Buehrle I would be ticked about the way these negotiations have went the last few days. He comes to them during the season in good faith wanting to stay with us, offering to sign below what he would get other places and the only thing he wants in return is a no trade clause..and thats still not good enough for us?

Tragg
07-01-2007, 01:48 PM
I wonder about our player development too...it's like utility player is the most important position to Ozzie.
Can't get enough of Cintron, Mack, Gonzalez, Torrero. Sweeney, Anderson, Owens sit in AAA.

It is curious how a hacker like Gonzalez, whose ceiling is utility player, can hit .207 and not only not a word of criticism from the brass, but he stays in the lineup and in the TWO hole no less.

Fields wasn't up here 3 days before he was sniped at and his job threatened.
And Anderson, for his faults, hit better than .207 and didn't have the immense 2-hole advantage. Sweeney got a 3 week trial.

I have no problem with giving a young player a chance. But with the 2 hole? And why THIS young player? We have exactly one outfielder on the roster now, so I would think developing an outfielder is a much higher priority than is developing yet another utility player. (play gonzalez in the infield; surely we'll have an opening for utility infielder as cintron is as useless a ballplayer as the sox have had in a generation).

nsolo
07-01-2007, 02:47 PM
Let's wait until KW actually makes a move before we form the lynch mob. We did win 90 games last year and I didn't hear anyone calling us lucky.
I'm not calling for a lynch mob. If I came across that way, my apologies. Yet, it seems that despite their contributions to the team, players who are or have been future free agents have been handled with a poor decorum, so to speak. It was my understanding that towards the start of the season, it was agreed that no negotiations would be help for either MB or JD until after the season. Circumstances have changed with the advent of a poor performing team and injuries, but it seems to me that management is posturing a great deal. Yes, we are talking in terms of HUGE money, and I'm not writing the check, but MB could have just as well told JR and CO. to shove off for another city with a larger pocketbook.

The last figure I heard being tossed around is $57 mill. To put that in perspective, if I make $100k at year, it would take me 570 years to equal that amount of money. So, yes, that's boat load of money. So much so, that in all honesty, he'll have more than he'll ever spend. Knowing this, would a few extra million really make a difference? He's willing to trade that for security in Chicago. I think he's earned it.

It also scares me to think what KW might trade for. If we trade pitcher for pitcher, what have we gained? And, if we trade for high quality position players, we'll be minus a superstar pitcher. Then is years to come, will we have to go through the same dealings when these position players become eligible for free agency? What scares me the most is trading for prospects. Considering the state of our farm system, our ability to gauge future talent is a poor gamble.