PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 7-1

Lip Man 1
06-30-2007, 01:19 PM
As a new month comes to town and the Mark Buehrle 'situation' begins to wind down we've got a bunch of All Star Moments on the docket as well as some flat out weird Comiskey Park birthday / anniversary memories and of course the infamous "White Flag Trade" for all to look back upon and remember (or try to forget depending on the perspective...)
----------

July 1, 1905 - Sox pitcher Frank Owen wins both games of a double header at St. Louis. The scores are 3 - 2 and 2 - 0. In both games he goes the distance and only allows the Browns seven hits total on the day.

July 1, 1910- The Sox open the "original" Comiskey Park, and lose 2 - 0 to the St. Louis Browns. Within three days of the first game, three Sox players were sidelined with injuries thus beginning in the minds of some, a ‘Curse of the Comiskey’s’ or ‘White Sox Curse.’ Infielder Lena Blackburne stroked the first Sox hit in their new stadium.

July 1, 1920 - Future Hall of Fame catcher Ray "Cracker" Schalk is honored with his own day. The ceremony takes place before a double header with the St. Louis Browns.

July 1, 1962 - The Sox set the A.L. record for sacrifice flies in an inning as they get three in the frame as part of a 7 - 6 win over the Indians at Comiskey Park. It happens in the 5th inning of the second game. Juan Pizarro, Nellie Fox and Al Smith do the honors.

July 1, 1978 - Larry Doby is named manager replacing Bob Lemon. Doby would become the second minority manager in MLB after Frank Robinson. His tenure would be short. He himself was fired at the end of the season, replaced with Don Kessinger.

July 1, 1990- On the 80th anniversary of the opening of Comiskey Park, the Yankees Andy Hawkins throws a no hitter. Except for one small problem....he LOSES the game 4-0! The Sox get all their runs thanks to back to back fly ball errors courtesy of Jim Leyritz and Jesse Barfield.The Sox Greg Hibbard matches Hawkins pitch for pitch in the early going as he also has a no hitter through the first five and a third innings!

http://i17.ebayimg.com/02/i/05/1d/f9/8c_12.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/Sport-Magazine-April-1956-Larry-Doby-White-Sox_W0QQitemZ270136697491QQihZ017QQcategoryZ280QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohostin g) http://i15.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/9b/ac/fbe9_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/1991-Topps-Tiffany-256-GREG-HIBBARD-White-Sox_W0QQitemZ140112323333QQihZ004QQcategoryZ213QQr dZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohostin g)

Lip

WhiteSoxJunkie
06-30-2007, 09:28 PM
How do you get 3 sac flies in one inning? :?: Wouldn't the third one end the inning and therefore not be a sac fly?

Railsplitter
06-30-2007, 10:05 PM
How do you get 3 sac flies in one inning? :?: Wouldn't the third one end the inning and therefore not be a sac fly?
I'd say an error was involved, but if it's an error, it negates the sac fly, no?

What stood out for me about the Hawkins no-hitter, was I was at the previous night's game where the Sox got 14 hits--and lost 10-7

tebman
06-30-2007, 10:58 PM
That Hawkins game was wild. I saw it on TV and couldn't believe it.

There was a brief postgame interview with Hawkins since he got a no-hitter, but he didn't feel much like talking. :redneck

TDog
06-30-2007, 11:13 PM
I'd say an error was involved, but if it's an error, it negates the sac fly, no?...

Generally, when a player reaches base on an error, he is charged with a time at bat and doesn't get credit for a hit. An exception is when a player reaches on catcher's interference because the error occurs not on the batted ball, but as he is attempting to hit. Other exceptions occur when players would not get credit for an at bat if there was no error. If a play would have been a successful sacrifice but for the error, there is no charged at bat. The same applies for a sacrifice fly.

Personally, I would do away with sacrifice flies. A player gets credit for an RBI on the play, but I don't see sufficient reason he should not be charged a time at bat. Over the years, the rule has changed to allow line drives and infielders running in the outfield. Even if the run doesn't mean anything in the ninth inning and the out essentially takes a team out of the game, it's a sacrifice fly. All the stat does is inflate batting averages.

my5thbench
07-01-2007, 07:56 AM
that no hitter was one of the most memorable ways to get a W I can ever recall........it was WILD!!!!!!!!! I was screaming

Lip Man 1
07-01-2007, 11:00 AM
From Retrosheet's play by play of the game:

WHITE SOX 5TH: Hershberger walked; Esposito singled to right
[Hershberger to third]; Pizarro reached on an error by Green on
a sacrifice fly [Hershberger scored (RBI), Esposito to second,
Pizarro to first]; Landis singled to center [Esposito scored,
Pizarro to third]; LATMAN REPLACED HARTMAN (PITCHING); Fox
reached on an error by Green on a sacrifice fly [Pizarro scored
(unearned) (RBI), Landis to third, Fox to first]; Cunningham
walked [Fox to second]; A. Smith hit a sacrifice fly to right
[Landis scored (unearned), Fox to third]; Carreon singled to
left [Fox scored (unearned), Cunningham to second]; Robinson
singled to left [Cunningham scored (unearned), Carreon to
second]; Hershberger grounded into a double play (shortstop to
second to first) [Robinson out at second]; 6 R (2 ER), 4 H, 2 E,
1 LOB. Indians 2, White Sox 7.

I have update the original text of this.

Lip

BringBackBlkJack
07-01-2007, 02:22 PM
The July 1st, 1990 game was my first visit to Comiskey and the first baseball game I remember going to (I went to a couple Giants games as an infant). I had just turned 7 and had gotten free tickets to the game because I had perfect attendance that year in school. I remember that dropped fly ball (I'm pretty sure Ventura hit it).. it was as routine as it could be and when it dropped the park erupted. Everyone stood up and I couldn't see anything seeing as I was 7. What a crazy game to be initiated into Sox fandom...