PDA

View Full Version : Felony Charges for Fans who ran on field!!!

soxfan13
06-30-2007, 09:49 AM
Didnt see this anywhere. Looks like they are definately cracking down on these stupid antics!!!!!

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/450378,CST-NWS-cubfan30.article

WSox597
06-30-2007, 09:57 AM
But but, those are the Greatest Fans in the World!!

The garbage covering the outfield can happen anywhere!

Sarcasm aside, it's good to see such behavior penalized so it doesn't spawn imitators. "Look at me!"

On a lighter note, next time Howry takes the mound, he may be dressed like an umpire...just in case.

Viva Medias B's
06-30-2007, 10:00 AM
Good. It's good to see that these punks being punished to the fullest extent that the law allows.

Bulls_Fan
06-30-2007, 10:01 AM
The article mentioned another moron going on the field who did it because his buddies bet him $400.

Stupid people make me laugh.

soxfan13
06-30-2007, 10:03 AM
But but, those are the Greatest Fans in the World!!

The garbage covering the outfield can happen anywhere!

Sarcasm aside, it's good to see such behavior penalized so it doesn't spawn imitators. "Look at me!"

On a lighter note, next time Howry takes the mound, he may be dressed like an umpire...just in case.

Years and years ago a bunch of us from work went to a Cubs game, they were playing the Reds led by the almighty Neon Deion. My boss said he would give one of the guys 5000 dollars to jump out there in between innings and run the bases. The kid did it and we have pictures of the entire run including the head first slide into home. These pictures were eventually made into an office calender. That only cost the kid a night in jail and 150 fine. Now it might have been a trip to the big house:redneck

SaltyPretzel
06-30-2007, 11:38 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-070629fan-wrigleyjun29,1,342874.story?coll=chi-sportstop-hed

One of the guys was charged with pot possesion. You would think that if a fan were going to do something that would certainly get him arrested, he'd be smart enough not to be carrying illegal drugs with him.

:peace::bong::dumbass:

DumpJerry
06-30-2007, 06:06 PM
Since the jerk did not make contact with a player, I have a feeling that the charges will be reduced back to a misdemeanor once it starts working its way through the court system.

I say good for the Cubs in getting the felony charge. This sends a strong message to anyone who wants to get on a playing field without hiring an agent, playing his or her butt off to impress the scouts and getting signed by a pro team in the sport of his or her choice. That is how you can get on the field of play legitimately. Another way is to sing the National Anthem or throw the first pitch.

TDog
06-30-2007, 06:18 PM
Since the jerk did not make contact with a player, I have a feeling that the charges will be reduced back to a misdemeanor once it starts working its way through the court system.

I say good for the Cubs in getting the felony charge. This sends a strong message to anyone who wants to get on a playing field without hiring an agent, playing his or her butt off to impress the scouts and getting signed by a pro team in the sport of his or her choice. That is how you can get on the field of play legitimately. Another way is to sing the National Anthem or throw the first pitch.

Felony criminal trespass to a place of amusement. I like it. That sounds like something that could be bargained down to a misdemeanor, depending on whether the system wants to make an example of the trespasser. The assault, which exists regardless of whether contact was made, apparently was a misdemeanor under Illinois law. So much depends on discretion and jurisdiction. In Alaska, assaulting a police officer is usually a misdemeanor.

DumpJerry
06-30-2007, 06:38 PM
Felony criminal trespass to a place of amusement. I like it. That sounds like something that could be bargained down to a misdemeanor, depending on whether the system wants to make an example of the trespasser. The assault, which exists regardless of whether contact was made, apparently was a misdemeanor under Illinois law. So much depends on discretion and jurisdiction. In Alaska, assaulting a police officer is usually a misdemeanor.
Assaulting a police officer is usually a misdemeanor in Alaska? Hmmm....I wonder if it is possible to merely assualt a PO because if you threaten a PO, there is usually physical contact as the officer places you in custody. That will take it into battery land. There is never a simple battery charge when the intended target is a cop, it is almost always jacked up to Agg. Bat.

Anyway, I would be mildly surprised if thee Cub fan gets convicted of something stronger than a misdemeanor.

TDog
06-30-2007, 08:29 PM
Assaulting a police officer is usually a misdemeanor in Alaska? Hmmm....I wonder if it is possible to merely assualt a PO because if you threaten a PO, there is usually physical contact as the officer places you in custody. That will take it into battery land. There is never a simple battery charge when the intended target is a cop, it is almost always jacked up to Agg. Bat.

Anyway, I would be mildly surprised if thee Cub fan gets convicted of something stronger than a misdemeanor.

The cop assault thing is statutory. It surprised me when I saw it. Obviously, if you threaten a cop with a gun, it would be charged as aggravated assault. But in most places, I would expect that slugging someone you know to be a police officer in the performance of his duty would be charged as a felony.

At the same time, I don't believe that just because the prosecutor can charge someone with a felony for running onto a baseball field, the case will end up with a felony conviction.

chitownhawkfan
06-30-2007, 09:34 PM
I'm not entirely clear on what happened, but if they just ran on the field a felony charge seems a little Draconian. Its one thing if you attack somebody, but a lifelong black mark because of a stupid drunk decision seems a little much to me.

EndemicSox
06-30-2007, 11:19 PM
I'm not entirely clear on what happened, but if they just ran on the field a felony charge seems a little Draconian. Its one thing if you attack somebody, but a lifelong black mark because of a stupid drunk decision seems a little much to me.

I agree, but there is a .01% chance is stays a felony. As long as the media broadcasts loud and clear that running on the field is a "felony". the mission is accomplished.

TDog
06-30-2007, 11:28 PM
I agree, but there is a .01% chance is stays a felony. As long as the media broadcasts loud and clear that running on the field is a "felony". the mission is accomplished.

If the media broadcasts that this defendant pleads down to a misdemeanor and he gets probation, does that accomplish the mission as well?

EndemicSox
07-01-2007, 12:53 AM
If the media broadcasts that this defendant pleads down to a misdemeanor and he gets probation, does that accomplish the mission as well?

One would think so, but very rarely does the media follow up on these issues.

DumpJerry
07-01-2007, 01:37 AM
But in most places, I would expect that slugging someone you know to be a police officer in the performance of his duty would be charged as a felony.

Once you make contact, it is no longer assault, but battery (unless Alaska is different from the common law of England and the other 49 states). An assualt is an act which reasonably causes the victim to fear for his/her safety (if I swing my fist at you, but don't connect, or while holding a weapon threaten to use it on you right now).

Even if this jerk gets a suspended sentence, I think the fact that he was charged with a felony is enough to scare some people into thinking twice. We read about people who get away with murder and that has not stopped people from committing murder.

A felony arrest can cause problems in life even without a conviction in certain situations.

Nellie_Fox
07-01-2007, 02:21 AM
Assaulting a police officer is usually a misdemeanor in Alaska? Hmmm....I wonder if it is possible to merely assualt a PO because if you threaten a PO, there is usually physical contact as the officer places you in custody. That will take it into battery land. There is never a simple battery charge when the intended target is a cop, it is almost always jacked up to Agg. Bat.Oh, how I wish that had been true. I know that's what the statute says, but every time I got hit, kicked, slapped, etc. by some miscreant, and I would call the felony-screening State's Attorney, I'd be denied the felony charge. Basically, if I didn't have to go to the hospital, it was simple battery.

Once you make contact, it is no longer assault, but battery (unless Alaska is different from the common law of England and the other 49 states). An assualt is an act which reasonably causes the victim to fear for his/her safety (if I swing my fist at you, but don't connect, or while holding a weapon threaten to use it on you right now).There are a lot of states that don't have a "battery" statute, just differing degrees of assault. Minnesota is one of them.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-01-2007, 09:45 AM
Today's ST reports a $75K bond for the fan, as well as a permanent ban from Wrigley. Can't wait to see this reported in the Trib - Thursday.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/451221,CST-NWS-CUBFAN01s1.article

My favorite part? The judge makes a statement, "We need to send a message to the North Side". Tell them their team sucks too, while you're at it.

DumpJerry
07-01-2007, 10:35 AM
Today's ST reports a $75K bond for the fan, as well as a permanent ban from Wrigley. Can't wait to see this reported in the Trib - Thursday.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/451221,CST-NWS-CUBFAN01s1.article

My favorite part? The judge makes a statement, "We need to send a message to the North Side". Tell them their team sucks too, while you're at it.
Permanent bans from ballparks, in my mind, are a farce. How do they enforce it? It's not like the airport where there is a terrorist watch list that they check when you enter. The people working the gates have thousands of faces going by them, how will they spot this guy? I can see his name being blocked if he tries to use a credit card to buy tickets, but what if his name was Bob Smith?

What's the message the judge is sending? That the Cubs need to play better so their drunk fans don't rush the field?

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-01-2007, 11:02 AM
Permanent bans from ballparks, in my mind, are a farce. How do they enforce it? It's not like the airport where there is a terrorist watch list that they check when you enter. The people working the gates have thousands of faces going by them, how will they spot this guy? I can see his name being blocked if he tries to use a credit card to buy tickets, but what if his name was Bob Smith?

What's the message the judge is sending? That the Cubs need to play better so their drunk fans don't rush the field?

DJ - the ban, to me, is more for PR than to be enforced. With over 30K in attendance how are people supposed to spot this guy? In addition, do you think other fans are going to point him out?

Jerko
07-06-2007, 10:23 AM
That judge is a White Sox ST holder.......

Didn't the moron that took a swipe at Sheffield in Boston get perma-banned from Fenway? I don't know how they enforce it though.

itsnotrequired
07-06-2007, 11:20 AM
That judge is a White Sox ST holder.......

Didn't the moron that took a swipe at Sheffield in Boston get perma-banned from Fenway? I don't know how they enforce it though.

I thought the Fenway guy ws a season ticket holder and they took his tickets away.

Jerko
07-06-2007, 11:32 AM
I thought the Fenway guy ws a season ticket holder and they took his tickets away.

I think that's right, but if a buddy of his called with an extra ticket somewhere else in the park, wouldn't he be able to get back in? It's gotta be a ***** enforcing these ballpark bannings.

AuroraSoxFan
07-06-2007, 11:44 AM
Anyone have any idea why the idiot who tried to get at Howry was barefoot?? Was he gonna try to give Howry the Karate Kid crane kick or something??

Chicken Dinner
07-06-2007, 12:19 PM
Anyone have any idea why the idiot who tried to get at Howry was barefoot?? Was he gonna try to give Howry the Karate Kid crane kick or something??

Alcohol poisoning. :D:

thomas35forever
07-06-2007, 01:36 PM
Sorry dudes. If you wanna get drunk off your ass and make a fool out of yourself, you'll have to go elsewhere instead of your favorite place in the world. If I had a choice, I'd bar them to Lambeau.