Chrisaway
06-29-2007, 04:32 PM
They can trade us Jason Bay:redneck

SoxSpeed22
06-29-2007, 04:42 PM
Show me, Jack Wilson.

WhiteSoxJunkie
06-29-2007, 04:43 PM
Didn't the Lions fans do something similar last season? And if I remember correctly, only a few hundred actually participated so it didn't really work.

CLR01
06-29-2007, 04:52 PM
Didn't the Lions fans do something similar last season? And if I remember correctly, only a few hundred actually participated so it didn't really work.

Something likes this seems to happen just about every year across the sporting world and it never works. I don't know why these stupid protests continue to get any media attention. Some schmo decides he wants to protest, schedules a news conference and the media actually shows up? Is life in Pittsburgh really that ****ing boring?

JB98
06-29-2007, 04:57 PM
I'll take his Ronny Paulino bobblehead! :D:

Nellie_Fox
06-30-2007, 01:24 AM
I'll be amazed if enough people pay any attention to this to look any different than the usual parade to the bathrooms and hotdog stands.

HotelWhiteSox
06-30-2007, 02:27 AM
All this over a TV show? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZC1jiwKMHc

hose
06-30-2007, 08:54 AM
The Pirates haven't even broke .500 since Bonds left after the 1992 season.

14 years off sub .500 ball, with 79 wins being the high water mark in 1997.:o:

LongLiveFisk
06-30-2007, 09:51 AM
Well personally I don't blame them for trying. Can you imagine what things would be like around here if the Sox hadn't finished at .500 or better for the past 15 years?

:bundy

Jurr
06-30-2007, 10:23 AM
I can't remember who, but someone on the Zone (a radio station in Pittsburgh) went on a classic rant. It got some of this started. He compared the Buccos to the Cubs, stating that he's sick and tired of seeing Pirates fans becoming okay with going to the park to see a losing team. He said that baseball is not about pierogie races and how many beers you can drink, and pirates fans should just not show up to send a message.

He started blasting Cubs fans, stating that those people show up at the game because a great number of them are transplants that just want to hit up a big social event, so they could care less if the Cubs lose. Pirates fans are mostly Pittsburgh natives, and it sickens him to see these people becoming resigned to the fact that their team is going to lose.

It was great radio. I wanted to applaud the man.

itsnotrequired
06-30-2007, 01:41 PM
The Pirates haven't even broke .500 since Bonds left after the 1992 season.

14 years off sub .500 ball, with 79 wins being the high water mark in 1997.:o:

To be fair, they haven't FINISHED a season above .500 since 1992. They have been above .500 plenty of times during the seasons. They were .500 as late as August 30 in 1997 but couldn't hold on and ended up finishing 79-83.

santo=dorf
06-30-2007, 02:13 PM
Show me, Jack Wilson.
Good lord, why? He's like Uribe with a lot less power and he costs more.

Foulke You
06-30-2007, 02:15 PM
I chuckled at the mention of all the giveaways in the article. I was in Pitt for the Sox series at PNC a couple weeks ago and they did have some big clunky giveaways for that series. Don't get me wrong, they were nice giveaways but I couldn't believe how big they were. A full size Bill Mazerowski collector plate on Friday and a huge deluxe Pirates bobble head doll. Both items would easily go for at least $15 or $20 in a gift shop.

A funny t-shirt I saw in a Pittsburgh sports shop said "Pittsburgh Baseball: Rebuilding Since 1992". At least they can poke fun at themselves.:cool: Honestly, I don't know how they do it. I can't imagine going through 15 straight years of sub .500 baseball. Even the lowly Cubs had a couple bright moments here and there in '98 and '03. This particular season has to irk Pirates fans even more than normal because the NL Central is there for the taking and they are STILL a bad ballclub.

Foulke You
06-30-2007, 02:17 PM
Good lord, why? He's like Uribe with a lot less power and he costs more.
Amen to that. I'll take Juan over Jack Wilson any day. Every Pirates fan I talked to at PNC wanted to get rid of Wilson but realize they are stuck with him because of the huge contract they gave him.

The guy I'd love to have on the Sox is Xavier Nady. He definitely would make my all underrated team.

SoXPriDe33
06-30-2007, 03:37 PM
The thing is though with these protests the fans have already bought the ticket to get into the park so ownership already has their money they don't care if you walk out or not.

areilly
06-30-2007, 05:16 PM
The thing is though with these protests the fans have already bought the ticket to get into the park so ownership already has their money they don't care if you walk out or not.

They're planning to leave in the third, meaning five innings' worth of concession and souvenirs sales are gone. Actual ticket sales make up only a fraction of a team's revenue.

HotelWhiteSox
06-30-2007, 06:50 PM
If I read it right they're not even leaving, just walking to a section of the concourse and then some will probably go back

HomeFish
07-01-2007, 12:30 AM
They're planning to leave in the third, meaning five innings' worth of concession and souvenirs sales are gone. Actual ticket sales make up only a fraction of a team's revenue.

PNC Park has the best food in baseball. I wouldn't count on people giving up on it after only 3 innings.

StepsInSC
07-01-2007, 12:31 AM
Well, they just proved that the Pirates are really only something to do until football season starts back up: Few fans appear to walk out of Pirates-Nats game in protest (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2922148)

Nellie_Fox
07-01-2007, 01:15 AM
Well, they just proved that the Pirates are really only something to do until football season starts back up: Few fans appear to walk out of Pirates-Nats game in protest (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2922148)Or maybe they, like I, just thought the "protest" was stupid and decided not to take part.

soxfanreggie
07-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Gained national attention on ESPN. Whether or not a lot of people participated, it got attention.