PDA

View Full Version : Go Brewers GameThread

HotelWhiteSox
06-29-2007, 02:13 PM
First Cubs game (other than against the Sox) I'm watching all year. No Sox game in sight for 5 hours, we have some Mil fans (why not, close to home and not in our league anymore), Cubs are claimed to be hot after beating bad teams, 'should' be a good division match up. Would like to see Milwaukee with the chance to clinch here.

5-0 Mil early lead, help set up by a Benny Hill theme song esque moment in the OF

DrCrawdad
06-29-2007, 02:22 PM
Go Brewers!

The Immigrant
06-29-2007, 02:24 PM
Rich Hill gone after only three innings. Gallardo performing "as advertised" so far.

Goose
06-29-2007, 02:39 PM
Rich Hill gone after only three innings. Gallardo performing "as advertised" so far.

Hill threw 90+ pitches in 3 innings...Yowsa!

HotelWhiteSox
06-29-2007, 02:44 PM
Missed the beginning of the inning, but it was 5-1 when I came back, and now Ramirez scores on a wild pitch

5-2 Brewers Bottom of the 4th

goon
06-29-2007, 02:50 PM
Hill threw 90+ pitches in 3 innings...Yowsa!

It must suck to only have two pitches, especially when you can't throw them for strikes.

eriqjaffe
06-29-2007, 02:52 PM
It must suck to be David Aardsma.Fixed that for you.

Jaffar
06-29-2007, 02:54 PM
It must suck to only have two pitches, especially when you can't throw them for strikes.

It must suck to run your bullpen out in the 4th inning of the first game of a 3 game series against the division leader.

Goose
06-29-2007, 02:57 PM

FWIW, Hill had ~30 balls and ~60 strikes. The problem was that the Brew kept fouling the strikes off.

Anyway, Hill is a one trick pony with that curve.

DumpJerry
06-29-2007, 02:57 PM
It must suck if your team goes 99 years without winning the World Series.

The Racehorse
06-29-2007, 03:00 PM
It must suck if your team goes 99 years without winning the World Series.

... and if they can't get it done this year, they'll be triple digit midgets. :D:

Chicken Dinner
06-29-2007, 03:15 PM
The win streak must end today.

jenn2080
06-29-2007, 03:36 PM
... and if they can't get it done this year, they'll be triple digit midgets. :D:

And the longer it takes them the more annoying it will be when they actually win it.

Rocky Soprano
06-29-2007, 03:37 PM
And the longer it takes them the more annoying it will be when they actually win it.

Who says they will ever win it?

jenn2080
06-29-2007, 03:39 PM
Who says they will ever win it?

:redneck And this is true.

pagansoxfan
06-29-2007, 03:50 PM
:dollarbill:
"i am commited to bringing cubs' fans a championship calibur team. a percentage of the revenues that i get from our pay cable service, cubvision will be used toward payroll. i believe this is the best cubs team since the 1940's."

DumpJerry
06-29-2007, 03:53 PM
They will be very upset if they win it because they won't be the Lovable Losers any more. They will just be another MLB baseball team except that they play in a death-trap building. They won't have anything to look forward to except playing Dodgeball Urinal style ("Dodge Cement Blocks").

Sucks to be them.:tongue:

DrCrawdad
06-29-2007, 03:58 PM

I luv that!

:bandance::supernana::bandance:

Jaffar
06-29-2007, 04:24 PM
So much for the Brewers!:angry:

Juice16
06-29-2007, 04:25 PM
Ths Sox and Cubs are making my days at work miserable.

cleanwsox
06-29-2007, 04:26 PM
Geez, 5 runs in the first and nada afterwards.

HotelWhiteSox
Ugh, I switched to PS2 in the middle of the game and turned it off to hear Kasper's screechy voice all happy

jfinsocal
If Milwaukee doesn't win one game this weekend it could turn into a love-fest freak show on the North Side.

PatK
No kidding.

I was hoping by the end of this weekend, the Sox and Cubs would be the same distance out of first.

I can imagine the headlines now.

DeadMoney
06-29-2007, 04:27 PM
Wow, Ramirez pulverized that ball.

VenturaFan23
06-29-2007, 04:27 PM
Well I definitely won't be listening to the radio on the way home from work! Dadgummit!

Dick Allen
06-29-2007, 04:28 PM
The Cubune and the CubTimes are peeing all over themselves. Did Santo have a heart attack? I'm gonna be sick.

The Racehorse
... that pile of bovine scatolgy just cost me a SV in Roto-2 and a much needed HLD in Dynasty. :mad:

Juice16
Well I definitely won't be listening to the radio on the way home from work! Dadgummit!

I hear ya, in fact I haven't listened to sports radio in over a month.

cleanwsox
06-29-2007, 04:30 PM
... that pile of bovine scatolgy just cost me a SV in Roto-2 and a much needed HLD in Dynasty. :mad:

No kidding, had Gallardo starting and could have used the win pretty badly.

JB98
06-29-2007, 04:30 PM
Ha, ha, ha.

I think this is kind of funny. Make the Cubs fans think this is the year, and then they'll have it cruelly snatched away from them at the end. :cool:

rocky biddle
06-29-2007, 04:31 PM
The Cubs are playing really well, and that ****ty division is there for the taking. Those 2 things, combined with the cub-loving media in this town, are gonna make a long summer damn near insufferable.

oeo
06-29-2007, 04:32 PM
Ha, ha, ha.

I think this is kind of funny. Make the Cubs fans think this is the year, and then they'll have it cruelly snatched away from them at the end. :cool:

That's the thing, I don't want to even hear about how 'this is the year.' :puking:

VenturaFan23
06-29-2007, 04:33 PM
Ugh, I switched to PS2 in the middle of the game and turned it off to hear Kasper's screechy voice all happy

http://d94132.u23.simplenet.com/images/Mars/marvin_martian.gif

"OUTTA HERE!!"

JB98
06-29-2007, 04:33 PM
That's the thing, I don't want to even hear about how 'this is the year.' :puking:

They can say it all they want. It still isn't the year. The Cubs are on an improbably seven-game winning streak, and they are still only a .500 team.

veeter
06-29-2007, 04:35 PM
Wow, Ramirez pulverized that ball.I think my Grandma would have hit that beach ball out.

Dick Allen
They can say it all they want. It still isn't the year. The Cubs are on an improbably seven-game winning streak, and they are still only a .500 team.That's the Cub fans' nirvana - .500. That, and beer.

Soxfanspcu11
The thing about it is, watching the local media, if you didn't know anything about baseball, you would think that the scrubs had just clinced a playoff spot or were tearing through the playoffs.

They have won 7 in a row. So what? In 2005, they had a similar winning streak, I believe maybe 8 or 9 games. How did that work out? Teams go through winning and losing streaks. This scrubs team is not good enough to sustain this winning streak.

But like someone else in this thread said, let those losers get their hopes up, and then when it all comes crashing down on them, it will be even funnier. Hopefully we can see more pictures of trixie's in freshly purchased scrub beanies crying again.:supernana:

JB98
06-29-2007, 04:36 PM
That's the Cub fans' nirvana - .500. That, and beer.

I'm real surprised and sort of embarrassed that some Sox fans are peeing their pants over the Cubs recent winning streak.

I've lived in this city my whole life. Even when the Cubs get close, they blow it at the end. They'll blow it this year too.

There are no worries here.

veeter
06-29-2007, 04:40 PM
I'm real surprised and sort of embarrassed that some Sox fans are peeing their pants over the Cubs recent winning streak.

I've lived in this city my whole life. Even when the Cubs get close, they blow it at the end. They'll blow it this year too.

There are no worries here.I agree. I still have them third behind St. Louis and Milwaukee. The Brewers are a very good team, who will win that divsion.

mark2olson
06-29-2007, 04:42 PM

Yup, save your Depends for when you really need them. Otherwise, just give the Cubs some time, they'll blow it.

chisoxfanatic
06-29-2007, 04:47 PM
Hopefully we can see more pictures of trixie's in freshly purchased scrub beanies crying again.

Like THIS?

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5mbcfYVGckkBPDCjzbkF/SIG=12316svup/EXP=1183240028/**http%3A//thecubsuck.com/pageimages/cryinggirl.jpg

JB98
06-29-2007, 04:52 PM
Yup, save your Depends for when you really need them. Otherwise, just give the Cubs some time, they'll blow it.

Basically, the Cubs could have a 3-0 lead in the World Series, and only then would I start to become moderately concerned.

Certainly no reason to be worried because the Cubs are "only" 6.5 back on June 29. :cool:

Foulke You
06-29-2007, 04:55 PM

You're quite right JB98. The Cubs have a feast or famine type offense too. Right now, they are in the feast portion of the offense. When the HR binge ends, they'll be out of it again.

That being said, it is pretty unbearable to hear the hype for the Cubs lately. All they need to do is get within sniffing distance of contention to get the media machine rolling for them. Even our own flagship station ran a promo yesterday that almost floored me. It said, and I quote "There's still one baseball team in it, Chicago and we've got it covered right here! Talk Cubs baseball here on The Score sports radio 670!" I couldn't believe it. They are effectively telling their listeners not to tune in to White Sox baseball on THEIR OWN station because only the Cubs are in it anymore. I don't recall hearing ads like that for the Sox last year when we were rolling and the Cubs were on their way to a 95 loss season. I guess nothing should surprise me anymore.:mad:

goon
06-29-2007, 04:56 PM
Fixed that for you.

...David Aardsma is a relief pitcher, not a starter. I'd be surprised if he had a 4-pitch arsenal.

eriqjaffe
06-29-2007, 05:02 PM
...David Aardsma is a relief pitcher, not a starter. I'd be surprised if he had a 4-pitch arsenal.I was referring to the lack of control more than the number of pitches.

JB98
06-29-2007, 05:03 PM
You're quite right JB98. The Cubs have a feast or famine type offense too. Right now, they are in the feast portion of the offense. When the HR binge ends, they'll be out of it again.

That being said, it is pretty unbearable to hear the hype for the Cubs lately. All they need to do is get within sniffing distance of contention to get the media machine rolling for them. Even our own flagship station ran a promo yesterday that almost floored me. It said, and I quote "There's still one baseball team in it, Chicago and we've got it covered right here! Talk Cubs baseball here on The Score sports radio 670!" I couldn't believe it. They are effectively telling their listeners not to tune in to White Sox baseball on THEIR OWN station because only the Cubs are in it anymore. I don't recall hearing ads like that for the Sox last year when we were rolling and the Cubs were on their way to a 95 loss season. I guess nothing should surprise me anymore.:mad:

Just shake it off. If you die tomorrow, you will go to your grave with happy memories of a World Series title.

Right now, there are five-year-old Cub fans who will not see a World Series win in their lifetime. That franchise is horse**** from top to bottom. It will never win. :D:

The Racehorse
06-29-2007, 05:03 PM
The thing about it is, watching the local media, if you didn't know anything about baseball, you would think that the scrubs had just clinced a playoff spot or were tearing through the playoffs.

They have won 7 in a row. So what? In 2005, they had a similar winning streak, I believe maybe 8 or 9 games. How did that work out? Teams go through winning and losing streaks. This scrubs team is not good enough to sustain this winning streak.

You are so right. In '05, the Sox had three 8-game winning streaks, and I can't remember which one it was that the Cubune labelled as the Somber Streak, but I highly doubt the Cubune will attach such a headline like Weak Streak or Survival of the Unfittest... probably more like ...

*heads over to the 'You Write Tomorrows Cubune Headline'*

goon
06-29-2007, 05:11 PM
You are so right. In '05, the Sox had three 8-game winning streaks, and I can't remember which one it was that the Cubune labelled as the Somber Streak, but I highly doubt the Cubune will attach such a headline like Weak Streak or Survival of the Unfittest... probably more like ...

*heads over to the 'You Write Tomorrows Cubune Headline'*

Yeah. As irritating as Cubs fans and Chicago media can be about the Cubs winning right now, I'd much rather see the Brewers win the division than see the Cubs lose it. Milwaukee has a ton of talent and unlike the Cubs, the Brewers are stacked with guys who are fun to cheer for, not douche bags who: admire Home Runs (Soriano), watch hits that they think are Home Runs, but really only go off the wall and they end up with a single (Ramirez)... or players who start fights (Lee, ex-Cub Barrett). If I were a Cub fan it would be hard to stomach some of the actions their players pull on the field, winning or not.

goon
06-29-2007, 05:13 PM
I was referring to the lack of control more than the number of pitches.

Whoops, I'm sorry.

chisoxfanatic
06-29-2007, 05:15 PM
Just shake it off. If you die tomorrow, you will go to your grave with happy memories of a World Series title.

Right now, there are five-year-old Cub fans who will not see a World Series win in their lifetime. That franchise is horse**** from top to bottom. It will never win. :D:

Can I get an "AMEN!"

We might as well reserve the entire downtown right now for a ticker tape parade! They're on a 7-game winning streak! How much better that is than having 3 8-gamers in the regular season, as well as an 8-gamer in the post season!

I am predicting that, if we don't make it to the post season this year, that the Angels will win it all.

jdm2662
06-29-2007, 05:47 PM

The 1989 White Sox won eight in a row at one point during the season. I think that's all that needs to be said...

Dick Allen
06-29-2007, 05:58 PM

That being said, it is pretty unbearable to hear the hype for the Cubs lately. All they need to do is get within sniffing distance of contention to get the media machine rolling for them. Even our own flagship station ran a promo yesterday that almost floored me. It said, and I quote "There's still one baseball team in it, Chicago and we've got it covered right here! Talk Cubs baseball here on The Score sports radio 670!" I couldn't believe it. They are effectively telling their listeners not to tune in to White Sox baseball on THEIR OWN station because only the Cubs are in it anymore. I don't recall hearing ads like that for the Sox last year when we were rolling and the Cubs were on their way to a 95 loss season. I guess nothing should surprise me anymore.:mad:My wife told me about that ad, since I don't listen to that station anymore. Looks like I still won't be listening to that station.

MarySwiss
06-29-2007, 06:05 PM
You guys have my sympathy. Everybody SAYS the Cubs have this big following out here, but I haven't heard squat from anyone about the Cubs.
Which is just the way I like it. :cool:

HotelWhiteSox
06-29-2007, 06:07 PM
My wife told me about that ad, since I don't listen to that station anymore. Looks like I still won't be listening to that station.

After the Buehrle ordeal I won't be listening to that station anymore, looks like it's for the better

http://d94132.u23.simplenet.com/images/Mars/marvin_martian.gif

"OUTTA HERE!!"

Haha, I'm surprised he doesn't get ripped more, some of his calls make me cringe, especially the way Hawk is treated (many times deserved but let's play it both ways), I guess it's like how the upper deck of Cell is always pointed out, while there's a lot of baseball stadiums who have one that's just like it

The Racehorse
06-29-2007, 06:31 PM
No kidding, had Gallardo starting and could have used the win pretty badly.

Sorry about Gallardo... I just checked my stats & Wise was given a HLD afterall, though Cordero's SV opportunity was irrevocably flushed down the crapper.

Viva Medias B's
06-29-2007, 07:57 PM
The Brewers choked. There no excuse for laying down for eight innings after pounding the Cubs for five runs in the first inning. Tonight on CSN Sports Nite at 6:30, they must have shown that Ramirez home run half a dozen times. Had they shown it once more, I could have taken a baseball bat to the television set!

As if our falling out of the pennant race wasn't bad enough, this Cubs winning is salt on an open wound. I don't consider myself "flubsessed," but this is still a problem. Our own game in Kansas City tonight is Priority No. 1. I hope the local mediots don't go hog wild over this and demonstrate sentiment like "Even though the Cubs haven't gone all they way yet, this run is ten times greater than the White Sox title run two years ago" or "A Cubs World Series championship would make the White Sox World Series championship look like a Blackhawks preseason game." In other words, I hope they don't show their true colors and used the Cubs as a vehicle to malign us. We've already seen this week their coverup of the Howry incident.

The Brewers better get their act together. Well, they've actually had their act together for the most part. But they must regroup and beat the Cubs tomorrow and Sunday. Losing the way the did today is the worst possible way to lose a baseball game, and it can spawn a week of corpseball for many teams. Milwaukee must prove that they're the best team in the NL Comedy Central.

TommyJohn
06-29-2007, 08:18 PM
I hope the local mediots don't go hog wild over this and demonstrate sentiment like "Even though the Cubs haven't gone all they way yet, this run is ten times greater than the White Sox title run two years ago" or "A Cubs World Series championship would make the White Sox World Series championship look like a Blackhawks preseason game." In other words, I hope they don't show their true colors and used the Cubs as a vehicle to malign us. We've already seen this week their coverup of the Howry incident.

Have no fear, because that is exactly how they are going to spin it, and
it won't matter if the Cubs finish in first with an 81-81 record. We'll have
it beaten into our heads all summer long. Just hang in there.

MarySwiss
06-29-2007, 09:02 PM
Have no fear, because that is exactly how they are going to spin it, and
it won't matter if the Cubs finish in first with an 81-81 record. We'll have
it beaten into our heads all summer long. Just hang in there.
EXACTLY! And people, can we please get a grip? There is more than half a season left. For both leagues. Back slowly off the ledge--at least until mid-August. Sheesh! The season will end however it ends. And in the final analysis, we will have nothing to do with it.

MRM
06-29-2007, 09:37 PM
I don't consider myself "flubsessed,"

Anyone reading that statement should consider you exactly that.

Viva Medias B's
06-29-2007, 09:44 PM
Anyone reading that statement should consider you exactly that.

Then they have never seen a post by Hangar18.:redneck

Tragg
06-29-2007, 10:49 PM
I really wish we had a spare closer because the Brewers look like a team primed to be taken to the cleaners for a closer....this is their chance to win something - I don't see it lasting beyond this year because a) they aren't particularly great and b) they are surrounded by superior organizations (St Louis, Houston, Cubs at least financially) who can and will do more. So they need to "Go for it" now.

oeo
06-29-2007, 11:20 PM
I really wish we had a spare closer because the Brewers look like a team primed to be taken to the cleaners for a closer....this is their chance to win something - I don't see it lasting beyond this year because a) they aren't particularly great and b) they are surrounded by superior organizations (St Louis, Houston, Cubs at least financially) who can and will do more. So they need to "Go for it" now.

I doubt they will give up on Cordero. He leads the league in saves, and although he hasn't been so hot lately, they're not going to change unless he's absolutely terrible.

Unfortunately, the Flubs ran into two closers that are cold as ice right now. They've now won the World Series three times in the last week...

LongLiveFisk
06-29-2007, 11:23 PM
Unfortunately, the Flubs ran into two closers that are cold as ice right now. They've now won the World Series three times in the last week...

Or you'd think so if you listened to sports radio in Chicago. Wrigleyville is already planning the parade.

oeo
06-29-2007, 11:34 PM
Or you'd think so if you listened to sports radio in Chicago. Wrigleyville is already planning the parade.

Or if you watch the players celebrate. Geesh...act like professionals; I've never seen a team go that wild after a couple of regular season comeback wins. Aramis deserves one in the ear hole tomorrow.

soltrain21
06-29-2007, 11:38 PM
Or if you watch the players celebrate. Geesh...act like professionals; I've never seen a team go that wild after a couple of regular season comeback wins. Aramis deserves one in the ear hole tomorrow.

This isn't the first time this is happened. I remember Jerry Hairston Jr. flipping a **** a couple of times throughout his tenure, and thats just one player.

madisonsoxfan
06-29-2007, 11:49 PM
Well, the Brewers being my 2nd team, this was a punch in the stomach. But I love Brewer day games. Makes the work day a bit better. Bob Uecker had some nice comments.

during an exchange about Uecker switch hitting and the fact that he could start getting himself to first base if he had batted lefty:

Uecker: "oh... I was a good bunter... (pause) ... a drag bunter... (pause)... ... but I got tired of dressing that way so I stopped...."

Get them tomorrow 'Crew.

It's Time
06-30-2007, 12:13 AM

Come on now. Two walk off wins with two outs in the ninth inning, one against the team you are chasing for 1st place and having erased a 5-0 lead in the process, how do you expect them to react? How would we have reacted if the Sox had that magic going for them?

Should they have sat in the dugout and waited for Ramirez to get back to it after winning the game in that kind of fasion? Sounds like sour grapes to me.

The irritation level after getting swept by them is high, I understand that. It's been a pathetic season to boot, so I guess I'll chalk up the post as to just being pissed.

Bill Naharodny
06-30-2007, 01:17 AM
I'm just wondering if the National League is ever going to make Derrek Lee serve his suspension.

Maybe just on days the Cubs don't have games.
:?:

Nellie_Fox
06-30-2007, 01:46 AM
I'm just wondering if the National League is ever going to make Derrek Lee serve his suspension. League offices are long gone. Suspensions are issued and enforced by Major League Baseball.

QCIASOXFAN
06-30-2007, 02:04 AM
League offices are long gone. Suspensions are issued and enforced by Major League Baseball.
You don't say??:?:

Nellie_Fox
06-30-2007, 02:22 AM
You don't say??:?:I'm not clear what point you're trying to make here. The poster asked when the National League was going to enforce the suspension, and I was just pointing out that the leagues don't make or enforce suspensions any more, and haven't for some time now.

Juice16
06-30-2007, 06:46 AM
I'm just wondering if the National League is ever going to make Derrek Lee serve his suspension.

Maybe just on days the Cubs don't have games.
:?:

Do you guys remember, I want to say 2004, Dusty and Kerry Wood I want to say over a big scene they caused about balls and strikes) were suspended for an incident. I remember complaining when is Wood finally going to serve and I don't recall him doing so. Anyone esle remember this?

FarWestChicago
06-30-2007, 06:53 AM
Or if you watch the players celebrate. Geesh...act like professionals; I've never seen a team go that wild after a couple of regular season comeback wins. Aramis deserves one in the ear hole tomorrow.That's what you get for watching Flubs games. :tsk:

The Critic
06-30-2007, 07:11 AM
That's what you get for watching Flubs games. :tsk:

What if he was watching the Brewers game?
:wink:

DrCrawdad
06-30-2007, 07:30 AM
Come on now. Two walk off wins with two outs in the ninth inning, one against the team you are chasing for 1st place and having erased a 5-0 lead in the process, how do you expect them to react? How would we have reacted if the Sox had that magic going for them?

Should they have sat in the dugout and waited for Ramirez to get back to it after winning the game in that kind of fasion? Sounds like sour grapes to me.

The irritation level after getting swept by them is high, I understand that. It's been a pathetic season to boot, so I guess I'll chalk up the post as to just being pissed.

In 2004 when Jose Valentin hit a walk-off HR at the Cell over the Cubbies the Cubbie manager, Dusty, and Ronnie Slanto were offended by the Sox celebration. Then these two morons stood on the soapbox and lectured further about the wrongness of the big celebration.

I'm sure Slanto will go down...to the clubhouse and lecture the Cubbies about the wrongness of yesterdays celebration.

soxfan13
06-30-2007, 08:40 AM

Give me a ****ing break!!!! Every team in baseball would have reacted the same way even if it was the 1st game of the season. For you to say you have never seen a team act that way after a walk of victory is asinine it happens at every game thats won by a walk off, you are either blind or the perfect stereotype of the White Sox fan that cares more about the Cubs losing then the White Sox winning.

Viva Medias B's
06-30-2007, 08:42 AM

How much did we celebrate in comparison when A.J. hit the walk off HR against the Dodgers in '05? I seem to recall that the Sox players celebrated big time on the field. I was there standing along the main concourse by Section 125 that night, and everyone in the stands was jumping and hugging madly after Pierzynski went deep. Maybe the Cubs' celebration was a tad excessive, but it was as big a moment for them as A.J.'s homer was for us that night.

Sure it sucks that we're losing and they're winning; that is the proverbial salt on the open wound. However, let's not forget that what is going on with OUR OWN BALLCLUB is more important than what is going on at Clark & Addison. No matter what happens, no one can take away the fact that we won the Chicago baseball war once and for all on October 26, 2005 at 9:53 p.m.

Juice16
06-30-2007, 08:54 AM
Today at work I get to deal with the ....... where were you when Aramis hit the homer. WOW, just WOW.

soxfan13
06-30-2007, 08:59 AM
How much did we celebrate in comparison when A.J. hit the walk off HR against the Dodgers in '05? I seem to recall that the Sox players celebrated big time on the field. I was there standing along the main concourse by Section 125 that night, and everyone in the stands was jumping and hugging madly after Pierzynski went deep. Maybe the Cubs' celebration was a tad excessive, but it was as big a moment for them as A.J.'s homer was for us that night.

Sure it sucks that we're losing and they're winning; that is the proverbial salt on the open wound. However, let's not forget that what is going on with OUR OWN BALLCLUB is more important than what is going on at Clark & Addison. No matter what happens, no one can take away the fact that we won the Chicago baseball war once and for all on October 26, 2005 at 9:53 p.m.

Cheers:gulp: I even think starting a Brewers game thread is going overboard. I have one question would this thread have been started if the Brewers were playing the Marlins, I think I already know the answer and its NO!!!!!!!!!!

It's Time
06-30-2007, 09:44 AM
No matter what happens, no one can take away the fact that we won the Chicago baseball war once and for all on October 26, 2005 at 9:53 p.m.

I disagree with that. The war will NEVER end with them. I didn't realize we stopped playing baseball after that season. I could see it if that season was the last season in the history of Chicago baseball and both teams folded up their tents after it.

Sorry, if they ever win a world series, the 2005 season White Sox will pale in comparison and the never ending hoopla surrounding it will make most of us Sox fans leave town. Expect to hear "when was last time you won the World Series?" comments to no end.

However, we do not have to worry about that happening. That said, this war will never be over. If it were, none of us would have gone into a funk after getting swept by them at the Cell.

It's Time
06-30-2007, 09:48 AM
In 2004 when Jose Valentin hit a walk-off HR at the Cell over the Cubbies the Cubbie manager, Dusty, and Ronnie Slanto were offended by the Sox celebration. Then these two morons stood on the soapbox and lectured further about the wrongness of the big celebration.

You just validated what I just said about oeo's post: "Sour grapes". You don't think that was sour grapes from them?

PatK
06-30-2007, 10:26 AM
The hyporcrisy of and double standards that apply to the Cubs announcers, organization, players, and fans IS disgusting at times, but it's not like it's not well known.

I prefer to live by the motto "He who laughs last laughs best".

There's still plenty of season left, for both of us

DrCrawdad
06-30-2007, 11:41 AM
You just validated what I just said about oeo's post: "Sour grapes". You don't think that was sour grapes from them?

I vividly remember the "acting like they won the World Series" comments. But, the "sour grapes" was only one part. There was also the lecture about baseball etiquette and the right way to celebrate and how the Sox celebration was wrong.

The "sour grapes" were understandable. The hypocrisy and irony about those who were giving the lecture was what made it worse. Santo who showed up his opponents (ie the Mets) and further showed up his teammates (ie Don Young). Then there was Dusty giving a game ball to a starting pitcher DURING THE GAME!

Hypocritical puds!

Johnnydogs
06-30-2007, 01:33 PM

I agree! Heck, I was watching the Indians win on a walkoff homer last night. They all jumped around home plate too. It's become baseball tradition when a team gets some kind of walkoff hit. The Cubs aren't any different than other team in that respect.

Cordero is a closer on one of my fantasy teams and he's been sketchy all month--something like a 5 ERA in June I believe. Anyway, I was definitely afraid something would happen but I was expecting a game tying double not a walkoff homerun. I'll take a pass on today's game.

oeo
06-30-2007, 01:36 PM
I agree! Heck, I was watching the Indians win on a walkoff homer last night. They all jumped around home plate too. It's become baseball tradition when a team gets some kind of walkoff hit. The Cubs aren't any different than other team in that respect.

Cordero is a closer on one of my fantasy teams and he's been sketchy all month--something like a 5 ERA in June I believe. Anyway, I was definitely afraid something would happen but I was expecting a game tying double not a walkoff homerun. I'll take a pass on today's game.

Everyone mobs the guy after a walk-off homerun; that's not the problem. The Cubs' celebration was excessive to say the least. Aramis does not need to do the Sammy hop all the way to first base.

AJ flipped his bat...that is not comparable at all to what Aramis did yesterday.

Tragg
06-30-2007, 02:15 PM
I'm finding Bob Brenly absolutely insufferable.

itsnotrequired
06-30-2007, 03:18 PM
Anyone watching the game right now? Ryan Dempster just did the lineups as Will Farrell doing Harry Carey. Good stuff.

Viva Medias B's
06-30-2007, 03:22 PM
Anyone watching the game right now? Ryan Dempster just did the lineups as Will Farrell doing Harry Carey. Good stuff.

WSI Spell Check: Caray

Bill Naharodny
06-30-2007, 03:23 PM

Dempster is another in a line of professional athletes who are "funny" in the sense that they're professional athletes who aren't totally dull. Think John Salley. Except white, Canadian and sure to blow some big games in the next month.

TDog
06-30-2007, 04:31 PM

The war goes on until one team moves out of Chicago. I should say I hope that never happens because if it happens, it will probably be the White Sox to move.

I could imagine a scario where the Cubs would move. If the Tribune Corporation refuses to include Wrigley Field in the deal to sell the team, it could make the Cubs franchise more attractive to relocation efforts than to groups who wnat to keep the Cubs in Chicago. If find that unlikely, but there it is. The scenarios that could lead to a White Sox move, unfortunately, are less unlikely.

The status quo is bragging rights. The night the Cubs lost to the Marlins to end their season in 2003, the WSI chatroom was full of Sox fans rooting for Florida. (These days the chatroom is usually empty during Sox games.) I'm sure equivalent rooting against the Sox was going on among Cubs fans in 2005.

People might not like it, but that is Chicago baseball.

HotelWhiteSox
06-30-2007, 04:51 PM
Back in business today:D:

JB98
06-30-2007, 04:59 PM
Back in business today:D:

Still plenty of time for the Brewers to blow this one too. :o:

Foulke You
06-30-2007, 05:26 PM
I think yesterday's game made the Brewers a little mad. :D: They didn't rest on their laurels after the first inning today. Nice 11 run output. I watched a few innings while I was working out at the gym and I really admire the Brewers approach to hitting. They foul off a TON of pitches and really wear out an opposing pitcher. I wish the Sox would take a page out of that book.

JB98
06-30-2007, 05:47 PM
Still plenty of time for the Brewers to blow this one too. :o:

OK, it's safe now. They won't blow it. No Cubbie fever in Chicago today. :D:

Soxfanspcu11
06-30-2007, 07:07 PM
In 2004 when Jose Valentin hit a walk-off HR at the Cell over the Cubbies the Cubbie manager, Dusty, and Ronnie Slanto were offended by the Sox celebration.

Not to nitpick, and I am not even sure that I am right, but wasn't that in 2003??

For some reason, I remember it being 2003 because at the time, I was working this really hard and crappy job at this resturant and thus I could never watch any day games. Out of like the 30 Employees, there were only like 10 Sox fans, the rest were scrubs fans, and I had to keep getting updates from my friend who was a waiter.

I swear I remember him coming back and told me what Jose did and we went nuts, and then my boss (who was/is a scrubs fan) yelled at us and told us to get back to work.

But like I said, I could be confusing 2003 and 2004 here. But I SWEAR it was '03!!!!:?:

DrCrawdad
06-30-2007, 09:00 PM
Not to nitpick, and I am not even sure that I am right, but wasn't that in 2003??

For some reason, I remember it being 2003 because at the time, I was working this really hard and crappy job at this resturant and thus I could never watch any day games. Out of like the 30 Employees, there were only like 10 Sox fans, the rest were scrubs fans, and I had to keep getting updates from my friend who was a waiter.

I swear I remember him coming back and told me what Jose did and we went nuts, and then my boss (who was/is a scrubs fan) yelled at us and told us to get back to work.

But like I said, I could be confusing 2003 and 2004 here. But I SWEAR it was '03!!!!:?:

You're right! It was 6/28/2003. You can go to Retrosheet (http://www.retrosheet.org/) for the boxscore. I actually looked at it but still wrote '04. OOPS!

GREAT JOB TODAY BREWERS!!!!

y2j2785
06-30-2007, 09:48 PM
I knew before the season began that the Brewers would be a lot better this season and none of my friends believed me when I said that. Well look at the Brewers now! Go Brew Crew!

Railsplitter
06-30-2007, 10:09 PM
Cubs lose!:bandance:

Nellie_Fox
07-01-2007, 01:24 AM
Cubs lose!:bandance:So, is this a Cubs game thread, or a Brewers game thread? Personally I don't know why we're allowing either one, but if it's a Cubs game thread it should be closed.

Juice16
07-01-2007, 03:13 PM
i didn't know the playoffs started. I work in a large room with approx 100 people in it. I can can count the White Sox fans on one hand. The Cub fans are basically doing play by play for each other while following the game on the internet. NOW, somebody has put the game on one of the TVs. I never saw a Bears game on during football season but now the Cubs playoff game is on. This is hilarious.