PDA

View Full Version : I've seen it said

fado
08-01-2001, 07:58 AM
but bring me the head of JM. I have never in my life listened, (I had to listen to the radio, which is good because if I was watching a TV I think I would have thrown something threw it), to something so stupid. Here's Singleton on third with one out, Rowand up (he's supposed to have some pop in his bat right?) . No let's have Perry hit. I understand what the thinking may have been, rookie might not have the nerves to do this. Let the Milkman deliver. But, if Rowand is going to be up here for a while, he's going to have to do this sometime. Or is JM going to pinch hit for him in every clutch situation? Yeah, that will help his confidence. What a moron!

Iguana775
08-01-2001, 08:08 AM
i agree. i thought Aaron should have been allowed to bat.

Soxboyrob
08-01-2001, 08:30 AM
Pinch hitting Perry for Rowand was a no-brainer. Sorry guys....

Perry is our best clutch hitter, 'cept for maybe Valentin.
Perry is a contact hitter and not overly prone to striking out.
Rowand is very prone to striking out....I'm not sure if he's done a lot of whiffing w/ the Sox, but he was a big time strike out guy in the minors.

If Rowand strikes out, Manuel's got to listen to everyone questioning his decision to put the game in a rookie's hands. Perry isn't sensational, but he's the consumate pro and was definitely the guy for the job in that situation. Perry got a nice pitch to hit and just didn't get it up in the air. It's not as easy as you think.

fado
08-01-2001, 09:26 AM
I hate to disagree with you on this one Soxboy. Perry is a great clutch hitter, I'll give you that. But at the same time you have to let Rowand hit. He hasn't been a KO guy so far up here, and to be honest with you, I'd would have much rather seen him up there then Perry. I understand that Perry has done well in these situations before, but when do you start to see what the young guys can do? I think Rowand has a greater chance of putting that ball in the outfield then Perry does.

DaveGusinSeattle
08-01-2001, 09:56 AM
I say "Let the Milkman deliver". He is the best man in this situation other than Valentin. Jerry was right one time, finally.
:)
:milk

Tragg
08-01-2001, 10:06 AM
Perry was a clutch hitter last year - but this year? And who wasn't last year?

Jerry_Manuel
08-01-2001, 10:09 AM
Perry was a clutch hitter last year - but this year? And who wasn't last year?

Everyone sucks this year simple as that. But hell even if you leave Rowand in and he ties the game at 2 with the way our offense was do you think they would have scored another run? For those who saw the game last night they know corpseball was out in full force.

Soxboyrob
08-01-2001, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by fado
.... I understand that Perry has done well in these situations before, but when do you start to see what the young guys can do? I think Rowand has a greater chance of putting that ball in the outfield then Perry does.

I have to ask you,....on what are you basing your feeling that Rowand would have a better chance of putting into the outfield? There is no history on which to base such an opinion, however, there is a strikeout history for Rowand and a contact and clutch history for Perry. To answer your question about when do you start to see what the young guys can do?....You learn as you go and, at first, you give them a short rope. As they achieve success, you lengthen their ropes until they have proven that they can be relied upon. I still feel that ownership/management is still clinging to the hope of the Sox getting back into this race to some degree. That said, it's understandable that they would go w/ Perry in that situation. Later this season(maybe in a week or two), leaving Rowand in for that situation will be a no-brainer. That will be when you see what a Rowand or Crede can do. Gotta hand it to the organization. They are not giving up on the season, which I happen to enjoy seeing, even if it is a lost cause at this point.

Paulwny
08-01-2001, 10:21 AM
Agree Soxboy, Perry was the correct move.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-01-2001, 11:32 AM
I had no problem with Manuel putting Perry in to pinch hit for Rowand. He should have let Perry pinch hit for Singleton Sunday, too.

Of course letting Rowand get the at-bat wouldn't have been a bad move either except NOBODY on the Sox knows which way the team is heading. Even our GM seems confused, not that that is such an unusual circumstance.

IF the season is truly over and IF Rowand truly is projected to be one of our future outfielders, and IF Herbert Perry is strictly playing out the string with the Sox, then by all means let Rowand bat for himself.

Personally, I don't think Rowand has earned that kind of shot, at least not yet. I also think Perry will make a nice role player off the bench, especially if Joe Crede flops at third base which I'm beginning to get nervous about. We've been waiting on this guy since 1999.

A good manager has a role for everybody. Manuel doesn't.

Jerry_Manuel
08-01-2001, 11:43 AM
Personally, I don't think Rowand has earned that kind of shot, at least not yet. I also think Perry will make a nice role player off the bench, especially if Joe Crede flops at third base which I'm beginning to get nervous about. We've been waiting on this guy since 1999.

George don't be nervous be pissed that they haven't given him a shot to play. There was no way in hell he was getting the job this year unless he had one huge spring. He should be here right now, we can't go into next year not knowing if he is ready to play. Williams needs to stop this pipe dream that the team will get back in the race. Call up Crede and give him the job for the rest of the year and lets see what he can do. The team isn't going to be any worse with Crede at 3rd over Valentin,Liefer, or Perry there.

Iguana775
08-01-2001, 01:11 PM
at times, i think that JM is just pulling moves out of a hat. there are times when he looks like a damn idiot(ie, using embree against the bosox) and a genious(most of last year). he is more inconsistent that JB!!!

KempersRS
08-01-2001, 01:52 PM
George don't be nervous be pissed that they haven't given him a shot to play. There was no way in hell he was getting the job this year unless he had one huge spring. He should be here right now, we can't go into next year not knowing if he is ready to play. Williams needs to stop this pipe dream that the team will get back in the race. Call up Crede and give him the job for the rest of the year and lets see what he can do. The team isn't going to be any worse with Crede at 3rd over Valentin,Liefer, or Perry there.

That is so damn true, well said Jer. I've been trying to say this for a while now, it blows my mind that we are playing so many players with NO future here when the season is over. And for those that think we are still in it, even playing some of these young guns isn't going to make us worse anyway! In reality, it is over, and that makes these games with Perry, Canseco, Singleton a WASTE. The games they play have no value, ZERO. If Canseco gets another AB all season, it is a mistake. The fact that Crede has been in the minors this long is a joke. At some point, you have to make the jump, there is no better time. Rowand and Crede and Liefer should be playing 5 times a week. Johnson should be starting 4-5 times a week. We wanna be a contender next year, lets start acting like it.

Jerry_Manuel
08-01-2001, 02:11 PM
he is more inconsistent that JB!!!

:JB
Now why did you have to go and say that?

Jerry_Manuel
08-01-2001, 02:13 PM
At some point, you have to make the jump, there is no better time. Rowand and Crede and Liefer should be playing 5 times a week. Johnson should be starting 4-5 times a week. We wanna be a contender next year, lets start acting like it.

Well if we want to be a contender next year Alomar is going to play a role in that.

KempersRS
08-01-2001, 02:15 PM
Well if we want to be a contender next year Alomar is going to play a role in that.

It just seems that Alomar is still the starter and Johnson is the backup. I think the roles should be reversed. Unless you want :versatile back!!
:versatile
"Thought you got rid of me eh?"

Jerry_Manuel
08-01-2001, 02:21 PM
The Sox know what MJ's strength's and weaknesses are.
Perhaps they will call up Olivo in September, he is our other catcher in the minors that can save us from Josh Paul.

KempersRS
08-01-2001, 02:23 PM
Perhaps they will call up Olivo in September, he is our other catcher in the minors that can save us from Josh Paul.

:slowswing
"I don't like that idea, he stole my nickname."

Jerry_Manuel
08-01-2001, 02:27 PM
Well from reading the AA game reports on the front page of WSI it seems like Olivo is hitting good still now minus the corked bat.

KempersRS
08-01-2001, 02:29 PM
Well from reading the AA game reports on the front page of WSI it seems like Olivo is hitting good still now minus the corked bat.

He wasn't really hitting well when he actually had the corked bat, like .240 or something. Maybe the corkless bat actually increased his bat speed, making him a better hitter.

Jerry_Manuel
08-01-2001, 02:32 PM
He wasn't really hitting well when he actually had the corked bat, like .240 or something. Maybe the corkless bat actually increased his bat speed, making him a better hitter.

I might be wrong, but I don't think he was really that good of a hitter to begin with. I'm pretty sure he was brought here for his defense. Sounds familiar doesn't it? But at-least he is a catcher and has a good arm.
:hitless
Don't look in my direction!