PDA

View Full Version : Who is our All-Star?

MaggPipes
06-28-2007, 03:07 PM
It really could only come down to three guys...Buehrle, Garland or Jenks. So, who is it?

infohawk
06-28-2007, 03:12 PM
It's either Buehrle or Jenks. Most likely Buehrle because of his no-hitter and low ERA. Also, I think that most pitchers selected are starters, not relivers.

Foulke You
06-28-2007, 03:14 PM
It's either Buehrle or Jenks. Most likely Buehrle because of his no-hitter and low ERA. Also, I think that most pitchers selected are starters, not relivers.
Yep. It's either gotta be Buehrle or Jenks. You really can't make a case for anyone else. For the first time in a long time, the Sox won't be getting screwed if we have only 1 all star this year.

CWSpalehoseCWS
06-28-2007, 03:16 PM
Why not Buehrle and Jenks. I don't see why one would be left behind.

HotelWhiteSox
06-28-2007, 03:20 PM
I would guess Jenks

06-28-2007, 03:20 PM
Jenks has the best numbers on paper to merit an All Star appearence. Buehrle deserves it in my mind too, but I dont think he will get it.

06-28-2007, 03:24 PM
Shouldn't Papi be the DH? If so 1st base in the AL is pretty thin, outside of Mornaeu...Its a REAL long shot, but if Paulie cranks a couple more out this week, then I could see Leyland chosing him as a back up....He has seen Paulie a lot and know what he can do...he made the AS game in 2005 with a weak BA....again just a thought, I know it is a longshot....

sox1970
06-28-2007, 03:26 PM
Just Jenks. Everyone else can take three days off.

Foulke You
06-28-2007, 03:27 PM
Why not Buehrle and Jenks. I don't see why one would be left behind.
Usually because the winning teams will often get the nod for having the extra players rather than a team that is about 10 under .500 and in 4th place. If it is between Bonderman, Kelvim Escobar, John Lackey, and Mark Buehrle for that last pitching spot, you can bet your bottom dollar that Escobar, Lackey, or Bonderman will get the pick.

Foulke You
06-28-2007, 03:29 PM
Jenks has the best numbers on paper to merit an All Star appearence. Buehrle deserves it in my mind too, but I dont think he will get it.
The only stat holding Buehrle back is the W/L record and that was completely out of his hands. He should have at least 10 wins right now with the way he has been throwing this year. The W/L record of our team is also going to hurt his chances.:(:

jenn2080
06-28-2007, 03:33 PM
Buehrle without a doubt.

miker
06-28-2007, 03:45 PM
Either would be a good choice, but it will be highly dependent on who else Leyland and company select for the pitching staff and who gets used in the days leading up to the ASG.

I say Mark...IN a White Sox jersey!

nebraskasox
06-28-2007, 03:45 PM
Sad that we have no position players that merit an all star spot. What a difference a year makes!

thomas35forever
06-28-2007, 05:12 PM
Bobby Jenks. I really had little will to vote twenty times this year.

TDog
06-28-2007, 05:21 PM
it possibly could be no one. It should be Buehrle, and Buehrle alone. If Buehrle is named as the only White Sox player and is subsequently traded, he would represent another team. No White Sox player would be named to take his place. The obligation to name a White Sox player would end with naming Buehrle.

MRM
06-28-2007, 05:50 PM
It's Jenks. Nobody else is even close to worth. Too many starters having much better seasons than Buehrle or Garland.

Lip Man 1
06-28-2007, 06:01 PM
I agree with Ozzie...Southpaw.

I also agree with the late Billy Martin, every team should not be represented in the All Star Popularity Contest.

Lip

oeo
06-28-2007, 06:08 PM
I agree with Ozzie...Southpaw.

I also agree with the late Billy Martin, every team should not be represented in the All Star Popularity Contest.

Lip

There is absolutely no reason Jenks should not be represented...and not because every team needs one guy, but he deserves to be there. He's 4th in the AL in saves, on a ****ty team. The only three guys ahead are K-Rod, Putz, and Borowski...and Borowski hasn't even been any good.

JB98
06-28-2007, 06:34 PM
Jenks. 20 saves is a good total at this point in the season, especially playing on a club that is 10 games below .500.

Buerhle has pitched well enough to merit consideration, but the lack of wins is going to hurt him. Also, it would be his turn in the rotation on July 8, the last day before the All-Star break. Would they take him knowing he wouldn't be available to pitch?

jshanahanjr
06-28-2007, 06:58 PM
Paulie goes if he hits 6-8 more HR's before the break, but I don't think that will happen. He went in 2005 batting .250 with 20 jacks on a great team, and he should have gone in 2004 over Giambi.

rdivaldi
06-28-2007, 07:28 PM
should not be represented in the All Star Popularity Contest.

I disagree. If that rule wasn't in place the game would be the Yankees/Red Sox vs. the Mets/Cubs. If you don't like that rule, how about a limit on the amount of players from each team instead? That way only a handful of teams wouldn't be represented.

ode to veeck
06-28-2007, 07:29 PM
Burhle-mon would be my pick, given the no-no and his recent W-L performance amidst the losing 22/27 streak

MaggPipes
06-28-2007, 09:54 PM
we also will not be able to defend our back to back last man vote title. Oh well, though i did take a lot of pride in that. Guess the streak ends with Scott and A.J.

chisoxfanatic
06-28-2007, 10:00 PM
I'd give it to Buehrle. He's leading Garland in all categories except for innings pitched, home runs surrendered, and HBP. He also has a couple of complete games to his credit, including that awe-inspiring no-hitter. He's been the face of this pitching staff for the past five or six years.

Lip Man 1
06-28-2007, 10:21 PM
Rdivaldi:

I should have clarified my statement although I thought the 'All Star Popularity Contest' remark would have given it away.

I think every team should not be guaranteed an All Star and I think the vote should be removed totally from the fans hands. (Or at the very least find a way to make it, one fan---one vote...not one fan, as many votes as you can punch out or click on the internet.)

Both reasons are why I haven't watched the All Star Popularity Contest probably since the game at Comiskey Park in 1983.

Lip

rdivaldi
06-28-2007, 11:26 PM
Rdivaldi:

I should have clarified my statement although I thought the 'All Star Popularity Contest' remark would have given it away.

I think every team should not be guaranteed an All Star and I think the vote should be removed totally from the fans hands. (Or at the very least find a way to make it, one fan---one vote...not one fan, as many votes as you can punch out or click on the internet.)

Both reasons are why I haven't watched the All Star Popularity Contest probably since the game at Comiskey Park in 1983.

Lip

Sarcasm duly noted. I would like them to take away internet voting all together.

balke
06-28-2007, 11:35 PM
It's Jenks. Nobody else is even close to worth. Too many starters having much better seasons than Buehrle or Garland.

You can scratch Carmona and Gaudin off your list of pitchers better than Buehrle from the other thread. Barring duplicates from teams, i think Buehrle should go. Jenks can go too, but I think for this team the real star and the guy who's given the most valuable output has been Buehrle.

Zisk77
06-29-2007, 12:00 AM
Herm Schneider....oh wait he is the team MVP. Gotta go with Jenks.

Gavin
06-29-2007, 05:16 AM
jenks.... at this point it's all stats

hose
06-29-2007, 07:24 AM
The Millllerrrrrr Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite beer vendor.

BRDSR
06-29-2007, 10:12 AM
Anyone think there's a possibility that Buerhle or Jenks is selected and the other one is part of the 32nd man vote? Or is the 32nd man always a position player? I can't recall a pitcher ever being on that list, now that I think about it.

Anyway, Sox fans have a two-year streak going with the 32nd man vote, but I'd be a little surprised if we could make it hold up this year.

y2j2785
06-29-2007, 01:13 PM
Shouldn't Papi be the DH? If so 1st base in the AL is pretty thin, outside of Mornaeu...Its a REAL long shot, but if Paulie cranks a couple more out this week, then I could see Leyland chosing him as a back up....He has seen Paulie a lot and know what he can do...he made the AS game in 2005 with a weak BA....again just a thought, I know it is a longshot....

The allstar game is in San Francisco so there is no DH and Ortiz is a lock for the starting 1B in the game due to fan voting.

Anyone think there's a possibility that Buerhle or Jenks is selected and the other one is part of the 32nd man vote? Or is the 32nd man always a position player? I can't recall a pitcher ever being on that list, now that I think about it.

Anyway, Sox fans have a two-year streak going with the 32nd man vote, but I'd be a little surprised if we could make it hold up this year.

I remember that Chris Capuano of the Brewers was on the 32nd man vote last year I believe and he actually won it too.

EndemicSox
06-29-2007, 04:45 PM
MB is the only player on the team worthy of an all-star spot...

jabrch
06-29-2007, 04:52 PM
Shouldn't Papi be the DH?

There is no DH.

GregoryEtc
07-01-2007, 12:13 AM
Buehrle will be our rep... and he'll be traded right before the break so the Sox won't have an all star. Rock on.

:gulp:

Parrothead
07-01-2007, 01:12 AM
Can it be the "Sodfather"?