PDA

View Full Version : Jose Rumors...

jsg-07
06-28-2007, 02:05 PM
So mixed in a few of the M B threads, I keep hearing that the Mets and Dodgers are interested in Jose Contreras. Has anyone heard what they are willing to offer for him?

CWSpalehoseCWS
06-28-2007, 02:13 PM
Hopefully Milledge, but I doubt it.

rainbow6
06-28-2007, 02:16 PM
I'd too be intersted to hear the opinions of those who are familar with the minor league systems of these teams (Dodgers, Red Sox, etc) to see what we may be able to snag in the next few weeks...

Is there some 19 year old phenom belting 500 foots dingers out there?
A fireballing knuckballer who baffles everyone who comes in his path?

I'm most interested in any type of outfielder with power as that seems to something that will be lacking on this team fairly soon...

I don't pay much attention to the minor league board (perhaps I should) so speculation by those in the know would be appreciated.

Thomes Forearm
06-28-2007, 02:17 PM

You never know, with the Braves slowly creeping and keeping in mind the Mets unhealthy staff, Jose could at least make a good fill-in. Altho do they really want another old man on the staff? The other side is that they have so many young position players, they may hold pat and see what the coming years can't bring them.

GAsoxfan
06-28-2007, 02:33 PM
You never know, with the Braves slowly creeping and keeping in mind the Mets unhealthy staff, Jose could at least make a good fill-in. Altho do they really want another old man on the staff? The other side is that they have so many young position players, they may hold pat and see what the coming years can't bring them.

The Braves may be another candidate too. Hopefully for a package including Escobar and Harrison.

jsg-07
06-28-2007, 02:48 PM
The Braves may be another candidate too. Hopefully for a package including Escobar and Harrison.

That would be a lot for Jose, but I think I'd rather see a SS / OF prospect rather than 3B at the moment to give Fields his shot and who knows, Im not banking on it, but Crede may come back healthy...

veeter
06-28-2007, 02:57 PM
The Braves may be another candidate too. Hopefully for a package including Escobar and Harrison.How about Jose for Kelly Johnson straight up?

veeter
06-28-2007, 02:58 PM
Or Jose for Salty.

salty99
06-28-2007, 03:00 PM
Hey I am not that good...why would you want to trade for me!!!

veeter
06-28-2007, 03:01 PM
Hey I am not that good...why would you want to trade for me!!!Because of your quick wit and ability to go to the opposite field.

JohnTucker0814
06-28-2007, 03:28 PM
Jose to Atlanta for Saltalamachia, I'd be okay with that. I'd prefer to either add in a lower level minor leaguer on our end and try to get a SS prospect from them.

GAsoxfan
06-28-2007, 03:45 PM
That would be a lot for Jose, but I think I'd rather see a SS / OF prospect rather than 3B at the moment to give Fields his shot and who knows, Im not banking on it, but Crede may come back healthy...

Escobar is a SS. The Braves brought him up to play 3B while Chipper was injured, but he is actually a SS.

Mr. White Sox
06-28-2007, 03:48 PM
Jose to Atlanta for Saltalamachia, I'd be okay with that. I'd prefer to either add in a lower level minor leaguer on our end and try to get a SS prospect from them.

So would the White Sox. Not gonna happen though. Salty is the best catching prospect around, and Atlanta won't trade him for a 50 year old forkballer with control issues. Even Escobar is too much; I wouldn't expect a whole lot for Contreras, but I'd like to be pleasantly surprised of course.

jsg-07
06-28-2007, 03:50 PM
Escobar is a SS. The Braves brought him up to play 3B while Chipper was injured, but he is actually a SS.

Gotcha! Thanks..

jsg-07
06-28-2007, 03:53 PM
So would the White Sox. Not gonna happen though. Salty is the best catching prospect around, and Atlanta won't trade him for a 50 year old forkballer with control issues. Even Escobar is too much; I wouldn't expect a whole lot for Contreras, but I'd like to be pleasantly surprised of course.

I guess this was sort of the point of this thread. Jose is a great pitcher but he is getting older so I was wondering what / how much teams would be willing to part with to get him.

But again, I would not be surprised to get something pretty good for him from a team trying to win THIS YEAR and has enough in their system to part with the guys or enough at the Major League level to where the prospects dont have a ton of room to get up without a trade (i.e., Fields before Crede went down).

GAsoxfan
06-28-2007, 03:57 PM

I agree that Jose isn't enough to get Salty, however I think the Sox can get a very good return for Contreras. He's been solid this year, and I think getting away from the Cell would only help him. This season, his road ERA (3.94) is 1.5 point lower than his home ERA (5.44). I think teams would take that into account as well. Plus, he's signed through 2009 at a reasonable amount.

Britt Burns
06-28-2007, 04:14 PM
Unfortunately I think about the best we can hope for is Jose and most if not all of his salary for a mid-level prospect, or a better prospect but we get stuck with a good chunk of his salary. I suppose there is a chance for a Kazmir/V. Zambrano steal, but I'm not holding my breath.

oeo
06-28-2007, 04:47 PM
Unfortunately I think about the best we can hope for is Jose and most if not all of his salary for a mid-level prospect, or a better prospect but we get stuck with a good chunk of his salary. I suppose there is a chance for a Kazmir/V. Zambrano steal, but I'm not holding my breath.

We're not paying Jose $15 million. If that's all we're going to get, then we should not have to pay any of his salary.

Mr. White Sox
06-28-2007, 05:30 PM
I guess this was sort of the point of this thread. Jose is a great pitcher but he is getting older so I was wondering what / how much teams would be willing to part with to get him.

But again, I would not be surprised to get something pretty good for him from a team trying to win THIS YEAR and has enough in their system to part with the guys or enough at the Major League level to where the prospects dont have a ton of room to get up without a trade (i.e., Fields before Crede went down).

Yeah, teams will definitely get desperate close to the deadline. I just have a feeling that scouts will see Jose's fickle control, previous injury problems and age as major negatives. The fact that every member here so far is totally fine with a JC trade shows you that the fans really don't see much more out of him in the next two years. If we can see that, I'm pretty sure the scouts can too. But yeah, Jose:V. Zambrano::Pelfrey/Humber:Kazmir? Hey, it could happen, but don't get your hopes up.

DSpivack
06-28-2007, 06:46 PM
How about Lillibridge? He's a pretty good SS prospect.

A. Cavatica
06-28-2007, 06:59 PM
Is El Duque still with the Mets?

rocky biddle
06-28-2007, 07:46 PM

Someone emailed me this (http://milledgefacts.blogspot.com/) the other day. Kinda funny.

kevin57
06-28-2007, 08:05 PM
If we even get someone decent for Jose, I'd go for it. Anyone watching him for the past couple of seasons can see that his age is showing. That's not going to improve.

goon
06-28-2007, 08:34 PM
I think Jose has pretty good value considering he's under contract for the next two years and he could be very effective against weaker lineups in the NL. He spent some time on the DL last season, however, despite a slight drop of velocity behind his fastball, he still has a great forkball and the guy can eat some innings. Some might joke about his age, but this guy is a bull, I could see him flourishing in the NL East.

Dan the Man
06-28-2007, 08:46 PM
Someone emailed me this (http://milledgefacts.blogspot.com/) the other day. Kinda funny.
That's nothing but replacing "Darin Erstad" with "Lastings Milledge."

RowanDye
06-28-2007, 09:50 PM
Yeah, teams will definitely get desperate close to the deadline. I just have a feeling that scouts will see Jose's fickle control, previous injury problems and age as major negatives. The fact that every member here so far is totally fine with a JC trade shows you that the fans really don't see much more out of him in the next two years. If we can see that, I'm pretty sure the scouts can too. But yeah, Jose:V. Zambrano::Pelfrey/Humber:Kazmir? Hey, it could happen, but don't get your hopes up.

Obviously age and continued effectiveness are a concern, but a team trading for JC at the deadline is first and foremost looking for an arm that can help now and in the playoffs. JC is a little inconsistent of late but his record would improve in the NL. He also has a proven track record in the playoffs. Coupled with El Duque it really makes sense for the Mets.

I think the fact we have him signed for a couple of years just helps our position, because we have no immediate need to do anything with him. If the Mets want him, they have to offer a good deal.

Tragg
06-28-2007, 10:50 PM
What's a productive major league starter signed for 2.5 seasons worth?

Apparently not much....certainly nothing close to what we'd pay for a similar pitcher. We sent a top 5 in MLB prospect Plus TWO major league pitchers for Vasquez, who was coming off of a 5+ ERA.

We gave a top 2 Sox prospect another prospect and a starting catcher to RENT Freddie Garcia.

Yet when we trade veterans, they suddenly aren't worth much.

When all the MB to Boston stuff was going on, these Red Sox prospects- they aren't in the top 30 in MLB...but suddenly they are "untouchable" a far too high pice for MB.

I don't get it.