PDA

View Full Version : Speed Only

JohnTucker0814
06-28-2007, 11:36 AM
What does everyone think a team that has little to no power and is built entirely around speed/contact would do in today's game? Lets say a starting roster of:

C - Russell Martin
1b - Kevin Youklis
2b - Brian Roberts
3b - B.J. Upton
SS - Jose Reyes
LF - Carl Crawford
CF - Juan Pierre
RF - Ichiro Suzuki
DH - Chone Figgins

Line-up:

1. Ichiro Suzuki
2. Jose Reyes
3. Carl Crawford
4. Russell Martin
5. Kevin Youklis
6. B.J. Upton
7. Brian Roberts
8. Chone Figgins
9. Juan Pierre

3 high priced talents (Crawford/Ichiro/Reyes) 3 middle priced guys (Roberts/Pierre/Figgins) 3 young cheap guys (Martin/Upton/Youklis)

I find it kind of interesting. A roster like this would be hell on a pitching staff of your oponent. Every guy that gets on base is a huge threat to steal a base. It would be similar to having a lot of extra base power on your team, because a single is turned into a double more often than a power guy hits doubles. Plus these guys will hit some doubles and definately a lot more triples...

Just thought it would be kind interesting to see what a roster like this would look like.

TDog
06-28-2007, 12:09 PM
What does everyone think a team that has little to no power and is built entirely around speed/contact would do in today's game? ...

They say speed doesn't slump. It pulls quads, though. I do love speed. I think the Sox should add a lot of speed during the offseason. Speaking in generalities, the problem with an all-speed lineup is that it has to be complemented with great pitching. Speed teams don't pose the same threat of comeback as do teams with power.

Another problem you have with a lot of speedy baseball players is their lack of baseball smarts. Many ballplayers lack baseball smarts, but speedy players have more opportunity to display this deficiency. A guy who can run may "know" that he can get to third base with none out with his team two runs down late. You see such guys get thrown out. Carl Crawford had displayed some truly bonehead baserunning this year, and he doesn't have the excuse of being a rookie. Speed can force mistakes but it can create mistakes as well.

If I had a lights out pitching staff, I would love to have great speed up and down the order to manufacture runs. The answer is balance. What you need in the middle of the order or certain defensive positions often is difficult to find in a package that includes speed.

PatK
06-28-2007, 02:24 PM
They say speed doesn't slump.

Never heard that, but I've heard that you can't teach speed.

JohnTucker0814
06-28-2007, 02:56 PM
Plus by having this much speed on 1 team, does that mean that each player will get MORE stolen bases than they currently do. My reasoning for saying that is currently if they single with say Konerko on 1st, they have no chance of a double steal. If Reyes singles and Pierre is on 2nd, there is more of a change for a double steal, increasing the guy on 1st sb total.

friarhky22
06-28-2007, 03:28 PM
What does everyone think a team that has little to no power and is built entirely around speed/contact would do in today's game? Lets say a starting roster of:

C - Russell Martin
1b - Kevin Youklis
2b - Brian Roberts
3b - B.J. Upton
SS - Jose Reyes
LF - Carl Crawford
CF - Juan Pierre
RF - Ichiro Suzuki
DH - Chone Figgins

Line-up:

1. Ichiro Suzuki
2. Jose Reyes
3. Carl Crawford
4. Russell Martin
5. Kevin Youklis
6. B.J. Upton
7. Brian Roberts
8. Chone Figgins
9. Juan Pierre

3 high priced talents (Crawford/Ichiro/Reyes) 3 middle priced guys (Roberts/Pierre/Figgins) 3 young cheap guys (Martin/Upton/Youklis)

I find it kind of interesting. A roster like this would be hell on a pitching staff of your oponent. Every guy that gets on base is a huge threat to steal a base. It would be similar to having a lot of extra base power on your team, because a single is turned into a double more often than a power guy hits doubles. Plus these guys will hit some doubles and definately a lot more triples...

Just thought it would be kind interesting to see what a roster like this would look like.

I'd have Shane Victorino in CF instead of Pierre, other than that, that'd be one heck of a lineup.

munchman33
06-28-2007, 06:20 PM
They say speed doesn't slump.

Tell that to Podsednik...

TDog
06-28-2007, 06:23 PM
Tell that to Podsednik...

I didn't say I say that.

Huisj
06-28-2007, 07:01 PM
I'd be scared the playing Upton at 3B. Put him at DH and Figgins at 3B.

WLL1855
06-28-2007, 10:21 PM
What does everyone think a team that has little to no power and is built entirely around speed/contact would do in today's game?

It would be brutally awful, just like a team based entirely on power hitters would be. Balance in all things is key. The whole is always more than the sum of the parts.

Is that Zen enough for you?

Frater Perdurabo
06-29-2007, 06:40 AM
I don't think it would be awful at all. A team like this would hit a ton of doubles (which are the key to maintaining rallies), hit a good number of triples, steal a ton of bases, and hit into very few GIDPs. Even if they were slumping, any one of those guys could get on base with a bunt.

Madvora
06-29-2007, 09:52 AM
It seems to me that this is what Japanese teams are built like, at least it looked that way in the WBC and they won the whole thing.
I'd much rather watch a team like this then the WBC bums the US had.