PDA

View Full Version : And let the Jermaine rumors begin!!!

Fred Manrique
06-27-2007, 09:31 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post/Dye-could-land-with-Dodgers;_ylt=AtDXP5PI13wsyXhY0yYCaL6FCLcF?urn=mlb, 37577

JohnTucker0814
06-27-2007, 09:34 AM
well anything that we can get from the Dodgers would be great... I don't think Dye has that much trade value, with his recent injury and poor performance this year. However, to get "something" in return for him is worth it. Maybe shoot for a lower level prospect. Those are a bit more risky, but the reward could be huge if our scouts are working!

jabrch
06-27-2007, 09:42 AM
Dye might be a type A FA since it is done with keeping in mind his stats over the last 2 (or 3) years. He would not likely accept arbitration given his low salary this year, and his low performance.

I wouldn't trade him just to trade him. He would net us at least one, possibly two high draft picks.

soxtalker
06-27-2007, 09:43 AM
I wonder if a Dye trade might involve an option (PTBNL sort of thing) dependent on his health the rest of the season.

ilsox7
06-27-2007, 10:03 AM
I wonder if a Dye trade might involve an option (PTBNL sort of thing) dependent on his health the rest of the season.

If I'm not mistaken, PTBNL usually come from a list of players decided on at the time of the trade. Not sure if it can be worked out another way.

KRS1
06-27-2007, 10:04 AM
Dye might be a type A FA since it is done with keeping in mind his stats over the last 2 (or 3) years.

If he wasnt a type A I would be pissed. Frank freaking Catalanotto got the type A tag last season. Something really needs to be done with that system, and soon.

itsnotrequired
06-27-2007, 10:27 AM
If he wasnt a type A I would be pissed. Frank freaking Catalanotto got the type A tag last season. Something really needs to be done with that system, and soon.

But look at the class of other left fielders. The system is fine.

KRS1
06-27-2007, 10:39 AM
But look at the class of other left fielders. The system is fine.

David Riske was a type A. As were David Dellucci, Woody Williams, and Chad Bradford. There's something wrong about that.

itsnotrequired
06-27-2007, 10:48 AM
David Riske was a type A. As were David Dellucci, Woody Williams, and Chad Bradford. There's something wrong about that.

Look at the Class B and Class C players. There were, what, 50 FA outfielders before 2006? They only had to be in the top 15 to get a Class A ranking.

KRS1
06-27-2007, 10:54 AM
Look at the Class B and Class C players. There were, what, 50 FA outfielders before 2006? They only had to be in the top 15 to get a Class A ranking.

Exactly why it needs to be changed. Teams should not have to give up high picks for those type of players just because the quality of the others available.

itsnotrequired
06-27-2007, 11:02 AM
Exactly why it needs to be changed. Teams should not have to give up high picks for those type of players just because the quality of the others available.

So goes life. Why are some draft classes stronger than others? Why should a player in a strong free agent class get a B ranking?

All of this discussion is somewhat moot as the new CBA changes a lot of this anyway (i.e. no more Class C players, those that lose Type B player get sandwich pick rather than direct pick from team, Type A reduced from top 30% to top 20%, Type B reduced from 31-50% to 21-40%, etc.)

Lillian
07-01-2007, 08:28 AM
Perhaps Dye would consider a one year extension to his contract. It would give him a chance to have the kind of year he had last year, and the kind of year that he likely feels confident he could have. He would then be in a much better position to negotiate a good longer term contract.
Do you think he is too old for that strategy to work?

I would love to have him around for one more year. Next year will probably be Crede's last year, and along with Dye, Thome, and Konerko, the Sox might still be able to make one more run at a championship, before they have to seriously address a rebuilding program.

It's Time
07-01-2007, 12:06 PM
Id JD leaves, so be it. That said, the spot he has carved in Sox fans hearts will be there forever. He took over the world series and for that, he's always going to remembered.

I think JD's best days are done and if we can move him, move him.

TomBradley72
07-01-2007, 04:22 PM
He had a monster year a year ago, he's been bit by the injury bug this year, he took a lower value deal with the White Sox even though the DBacks offered him more money before he signed the contract with the White Sox.

He's been a complete class act in his time with the White Sox, Thome looks to be crumbling and losing his power with age, and we obviously can't develop an OF through our minor league system (our big 25 year old stud, Brian Anderson is hitting .239 at AAA). We have no CF or LF for next year so we are really hurting in the OF.

We should be locking up Dye to be on OF(possibly move to LF if he slows) transitioning to a DH over the next few years. If you can't commit to a class act like Dye...there aren't many guys you can commit to.

We've had three years of 3MM annual attendance but we're returning to our previous form of operating like a 2nd class operation...and treating our players/free agents like crap.

DickAllen72
07-01-2007, 04:31 PM
He's been a complete class act in his time with the White Sox, Thome looks to be crumbling and losing his power with age, and we obviously can't develop an OF through our minor league system (our big 25 year old stud, Brian Anderson is hitting .239 at AAA). We have no CF or LF for next year so we are really hurting in the OF.

We should be locking up Dye to be on OF(possibly move to LF if he slows) transitioning to a DH over the next few years. If you can't commit to a class act like Dye...there aren't many guys you can commit to.
If only we could convince Thome to waive his NTC and trade him to a team like the Angels, then we could sign Dye to a reasonable contract to DH. I doubt if that's going to happen, however.

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-01-2007, 05:13 PM
If only we could convince Thome to waive his NTC and trade him to a team like the Angels, then we could sign Dye to a reasonable contract to DH. I doubt if that's going to happen, however.

I'd much rather see Konerko at DH and see if Fields can play 1B. Then Crede can stay.

bryPt
07-01-2007, 05:39 PM
Um, yeah, the source of this information, the Chicago Cubune. The same paper that doesn't know CTA buses go to the south side.

http://www.cubune.com/

Flight #24
07-02-2007, 09:35 AM
Um, yeah, the source of this information, the Chicago Cubune. The same paper that doesn't know CTA buses go to the south side.

http://www.cubune.com/

Sure they go to the S. Side......they just don't ever come back! Now where's that Ligue retrospective......