rdivaldi
06-26-2007, 08:48 PM
Last 5 starts:

8 IP, 7 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 6 K
7 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 8 K
7 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 7 K
8.2 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 8 K
7 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 4 K

What I like most are the low walk totals. Only 9 in 37.2 IP.

oeo
06-26-2007, 08:57 PM
Who is this guy and what did he do with Gavin Floyd?

delben91
06-26-2007, 09:28 PM
Is this just a hot streak? Or is some "adjustment" mental or physical finally taking effect?

rdivaldi
06-26-2007, 10:06 PM
Is this just a hot streak? Or is some "adjustment" mental or physical finally taking effect?

That's the $64,000 quesiton isn't it? You'd hope that something just "clicked" and he's ready to make the next jump. I don't see any room in our rotation so, we probably won't find out for awhile at least.

AJ Hellraiser
06-26-2007, 10:38 PM

Regardless of which it is, I think it's important for him that he is having success period.... his struggles at the big-league level are well-documented, but I don't think he faired too well in the minors the last time he was there either...

As we all know, much of pitching is mental... hopefully, he can build off this string of success and it will translate when he gets called up

rdivaldi
06-27-2007, 12:24 AM
but I don't think he faired too well in the minors the last time he was there either...

He cruised through the minors rather impressively for a guy who started in A ball at 19. It started unraveling in 2004 though and he fell apart in 2005 in AAA. Hopefully his experiences are serving him well and this is the beginning of something good. Gavin does have quite a bit of talent.

SoxxoS
06-27-2007, 07:35 AM
Does anyone have a guy who had a career like Gavin Floyd (Highly touted, successful, then blows up, then comes back again?)

Huisj
06-27-2007, 08:09 AM
Does anyone have a guy who had a career like Gavin Floyd (Highly touted, successful, then blows up, then comes back again?)

Roy Halliday? He came up and was one of two outs from throwing a no-hitter in his second MLB start. Then he was decent his first full season, then completely fell apart the next year and went back to the drawing board to relearn a different way to throw his curveball. It took a while, and then he had an arm injury I think. He turned out ok after that.

Or maybe he didn't have an injury. I can't remember now.

SoxxoS
06-27-2007, 10:27 AM
Roy Halliday? He came up and was one of two outs from throwing a no-hitter in his second MLB start. Then he was decent his first full season, then completely fell apart the next year and went back to the drawing board to relearn a different way to throw his curveball. It took a while, and then he had an arm injury I think. He turned out ok after that.

Or maybe he didn't have an injury. I can't remember now.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/H/roy-halladay.shtml

Not a bad example, as he was "demoted" to high A when he was 24. Nicely done.

Anyone else?

JermaineDye05
06-27-2007, 02:25 PM
hopefully Gavin has figured it out, if he can throw his curve for strikes he can be very good. Judging from the walk totals I would hope that he has learned that and hopefully has another plus pitch aside from his fastball and curve.

DumpJerry
06-27-2007, 02:58 PM
Looks like he'll replace Contreras after Jose is traded.....(half teal/half deep pink)

decolores9628
06-27-2007, 04:53 PM
He was also named to the IL all star team

veeter
06-27-2007, 09:41 PM
He was also named to the IL all star teamGood for him. Gavin just needs confidence and experience at the major league level. Look at Garland and Buehrle, consistent winners with just above avg. stuff. But they're both really smart.

kba
06-27-2007, 10:32 PM
Anyone else?

Wilson Alvarez?

Strong rookie season in '91, including a no-hitter. Posts an ERA above 5 in '92. Spends part of the '93 season in the minors, then returns to the big leagues and is an All-Star in '94.

California Sox
06-27-2007, 11:04 PM
Anyone else?

Jack McDowell. Drafted in '87, he was a September callup and dazzled. Got hit around pretty hard at times in '88. Sent down for all of '89, was hurt, the organization was down on his attitude. By the second half of '90 he was the ace of the staff.

Alex Fernandez. He was very good in the last weeks of the '90 season. Then was sent down to the minors at least once due to ineffectiveness until he put it all together in '93.

Jim Palmer. Although this is mostly due to injuries, he spent time between '67-'68 in instructional league.

Todd Ritchie. Highly sought-after pitcher as a prep in Texas, he struggled with Minnesota, but rebounded to becoming a decent pitcher in Pittsburgh. Then he came here and blew. (Dave Stewart is another guy with tons of talent who bounced around a lot before landing with Oakland. In fact, it seemed like half that Oakland staff were guys like that.)

I'm sure there are countless others. Late-blooming pitchers or guys with rocky starts to their careers are not at all unusual.

tm1119
06-29-2007, 10:36 AM
"Does anyone have a guy who had a career like Gavin Floyd (Highly touted, successful, then blows up, then comes back again?)"

I think the best examples are playing right now. John Maine and Jeremy Guthrie. Both were high picks, did well, then failed, but now are doing great on their new teams.

JermaineDye05
07-01-2007, 04:19 PM
Not too good of a day for Gavin today.

5.0 IP 3 H 2 ER 6 BB 6 SO

He still picked up the win, lots of walks though.

SoxxoS
07-01-2007, 04:23 PM

Like the 3's and the low amount of hits. Mama said there would be days like this.

If anything, it could be looked upon as a POSITIVE b/c it shows that even though Gavin didn't have his control, he didn't turn into a mental midget.

oeo
07-01-2007, 09:23 PM

Looks like he was wild, but he only gave up 3H and 2ER; not great, but it's not bad either.

California Sox
07-01-2007, 10:26 PM
Three of the walks were in one inning so it seemed like he lost control at times rather than was out there nibbling. Hopefully this is just an aberration.

jabrch
07-02-2007, 09:44 AM

Not a bad day either. Walks mean nothing if they don't score. 2 ER in 5 IP - that's fine. Too many pitches in 5 IP, but I don't really care about walks if he is stranding them.