PDA

View Full Version : Why is Erstad still around ?

ThomesHomie
06-26-2007, 07:58 PM
First and foremost, I was one of the many that wanted Erstad around when he was slumping, but after these reoccurring injuries, why is he still here ? Maybe I'm miss thinking but at the beginning of the year, he was going to be a gamble and they were going to play the heck out of him, if he got injury so be it, we had Anderson. I also believed that he was just that the white sox said that, he was a gamble and if he did go down that we would just get rid of him

I guess right now he is better on the dl then sending him away. Maybe he has a good attitude, helps the ball club in that way.... I don't no but just had me thinking.

DumpJerry
06-26-2007, 08:00 PM
Having a rough night? The Sox are up 5-1 in the Seventh. Enjoy life.:D:

ThomesHomie
06-26-2007, 08:02 PM
hahah, nah not really, its just something I have given thought over the course of last Friday when he went back down. I mean I'm all for Erstad staying, but I would at least think Anderson should get another shot.

DumpJerry
06-26-2007, 08:05 PM
hahah, nah not really, its just something I have given thought over the course of last Friday when he went back down. I mean I'm all for Erstad staying, but I would at least think Anderson should get another shot.
I see your point, I'm just busting your chops.

When Darin is not on the DL, his contributions have been great. When he is on the DL, he is not taking up a spot on the 25 man roster, so he is not a drag on the team.

ThomesHomie
06-26-2007, 08:08 PM
I guess right now any spark is better then none.

JB98
06-26-2007, 08:16 PM

Anderson hasn't been healthy either. He's had a couple good games this week to boost his average in Charlotte to .247.

Brian still has some work to do to earn another shot. Sweeney is probably ahead of him on the pecking order at this point.

Tragg
06-26-2007, 08:41 PM
Why is Cintron on this team.

Mack and Gonzales played a lot of infield before they got to the Sox...get some real outfielders (play the real prospects) and let them play utility infield. Mack and Gonzales would be a lot more valuable as utility infielders.

When Darin is not on the DL, his contributions have been great. In 2005 Pods delivered a .350 OBP, 50+ steals and very little power. That performance hasn't received anywhere near the plaudits of erstad's .310 and very little power and very few steals. Weird.

santo=dorf
06-26-2007, 08:44 PM
When Darin is not on the DL, his contributions have been great.
:hawk
"STRETCH!"

wassagstdu
06-26-2007, 08:45 PM
:threadsucks

CLR01
06-26-2007, 08:47 PM
You can not get rid of a Darin Erstad, he chooses when to stay or go. Much like the sun and stars he will always be here.

Noneck
06-26-2007, 08:58 PM
What are you saying? Pay the rest of his contract and let him lay on a Hawaii beach rather than let him earn his wages?

kevingrt
06-26-2007, 09:00 PM
:threadsucks

And I thought I had bad grammar and spelling.

oeo
06-26-2007, 09:01 PM

He's currently on the DL; I don't understand the problem here.

Boondock Saint
06-26-2007, 09:22 PM
He's still around for the basic reason that we're paying him for this season, regardless of whether he's hurt or not. And we'll more than likely keep him for next year, too, because we can't seem to keep four or five outfielders healthy/productive for any amount of time lately.

MUsoxfan
06-26-2007, 09:24 PM
Hurt Darin Erstad >/= to 100% healthy Sweeney/Owens/Anderson

CLR01
06-26-2007, 09:29 PM
He's still around for the basic reason that we're paying him for this season, regardless of whether he's hurt or not. And we'll more than likely keep him for next year, too, because we can't seem to keep four or five outfielders healthy/productive for any amount of time lately.

They are going to keep him around and pay him 3.5 million to hang out on the bench/DL?

Right, none of those three could have matched the offensive numbers he has put up while he's been hurt. :rolleyes:

MUsoxfan
06-26-2007, 09:31 PM
Right, none of those three could have matched the offensive numbers he has put up while he's been hurt. :rolleyes:

From my view of those three stooges, they would have given it the old college try

CLR01
06-26-2007, 09:34 PM
From my view of those three stooges, they would have given it the old college try

And considering the numbers he has put up while on the DL I think the three stooges could do a little better.

MUsoxfan
06-26-2007, 09:37 PM
And considering the numbers he has put up while on the DL I think the three stooges could do a little better.

A tiny bit. The OBP would be strikingly similar:cool:

palehozenychicty
06-26-2007, 09:41 PM

I like Erstad's guts, but c'mon now.

itsnotrequired
06-26-2007, 09:43 PM
:hawk
"STRETCH!"

Wait, I thought you were one of his biggest supporters?

slavko
06-26-2007, 09:56 PM
The guy has snapped more ankles than Bob James. And without being 60 pounds overweight.

delben91
06-26-2007, 10:01 PM
Erstad answers to no one. He is free to come and go as he deems appropriate.

Dan the Man
06-26-2007, 10:02 PM
You can not get rid of a Darin Erstad, he chooses when to stay or go. Much like the sun and stars he will always be here.
It sounds like Erstad needs his Chuck Norris/Kenny Williams type thread.

champagne030
06-26-2007, 11:17 PM
The guy has snapped more ankles than Bob James. And without being 60 pounds overweight.

Well, duh, he can punt the football through the goalposts from his own end zone. The guy eats dirt for nourishment. Why cannot you understand that he can carry our team on his grass stained shoulders to the promised land? :cool:

UserNameBlank
06-27-2007, 12:22 AM
Well, duh, he can punt the football through the goalposts from his own end zone. The guy eats dirt for nourishment. Why cannot you understand that he can carry our team on his grass stained shoulders to the promised land? :cool:
Darin is carrying our team to his promised land - Baseball Hell.

Thank you, Darin.

Nellie_Fox
06-27-2007, 12:25 AM
Darin is carrying our team to his promised land - Baseball Hell.

Thank you, Darin.So we've decided that Erstad is this year's whipping boy? He's responsible for the collapse of the bullpen, for the totally anemic offense, for the injuries to the other players? Hell, I thought that was Ozzie.

UserNameBlank
06-27-2007, 12:37 AM
So we've decided that Erstad is this year's whipping boy? He's responsible for the collapse of the bullpen, for the totally anemic offense, for the injuries to the other players? Hell, I thought that was Ozzie.
No, that's Brian. Brian destroyed the bullpen. Darin built the pyramids.

Baseball Hell is truly a wonderful place and we're riding on Darin's back to get there since, like a camel, he can go weeks without food or water. However unlike a camel, instead of trudging slowly through the sand Darin slides head-first all the way there.

StillMissOzzie
06-27-2007, 12:41 AM
They are going to keep him around and pay him 3.5 million to hang out on the bench/DL?

And a bargain-basement buyout of $250K to tell him to take a hike. Not the biggest financial dilemna for KW to worry about, but it will be interesting to see how they feel about the fragile Erstad at over 4.5x the 2007 pay rate.

SMO
:o:

Nellie_Fox
06-27-2007, 12:43 AM
No, that's Brian. Brian destroyed the bullpen. Darin built the pyramids.

Baseball Hell is truly a wonderful place and we're riding on Darin's back to get there since, like a camel, he can go weeks without food or water. However unlike a camel, instead of trudging slowly through the sand Darin slides head-first all the way there.I guess you guys think this is really clever. Nobody has over-glorified Erstad, nobody has blamed Anderson for all those things, but don't let facts get in the way of a good tantrum.

UserNameBlank
06-27-2007, 12:53 AM
I guess you guys think this is really clever. Nobody has over-glorified Erstad, nobody has blamed Anderson for all those things, but don't let facts get in the way of a good tantrum.
Seriously, if you held a gun to my head and forced me to tell the truth I'd say Erstad isn't the main reason the team sucks. It is a reason, but like BA in 2006, it is so far down on the list it really isn't worth arguing over.

Still I believe that with the way the team is playing and the direction this team is heading in, his presence does not help us in any way. It hurts us because it holds a starting OF spot hostage in the middle of a garbage season that could be much better used for the development of a prospect. But I think that if the Sox were hitting like they should be, the bullpen was pitching like it was supposed to, and the Sox as a whole were executing in situations that they are supposed to execute in, Darin Erstad would be the best CF option in the organization for a veteran ballclub's final hurrah.

Nellie_Fox
06-27-2007, 01:52 AM
Seriously, if you held a gun to my head and forced me to tell the truth I'd say Erstad isn't the main reason the team sucks. It is a reason, but like BA in 2006, it is so far down on the list it really isn't worth arguing over.

Still I believe that with the way the team is playing and the direction this team is heading in, his presence does not help us in any way. It hurts us because it holds a starting OF spot hostage in the middle of a garbage season that could be much better used for the development of a prospect. But I think that if the Sox were hitting like they should be, the bullpen was pitching like it was supposed to, and the Sox as a whole were executing in situations that they are supposed to execute in, Darin Erstad would be the best CF option in the organization for a veteran ballclub's final hurrah.Very rational. Thank you.

RockJock07
06-27-2007, 11:11 AM
I've been a big fan of Erstad's for a long time. He's has the best baseball IQ of any player on the Sox. It's to bad that he can't stay heathly, he's seems like a great guy. He's making about $1, so why not keep him around?

russ99
06-27-2007, 11:41 AM
Would you Anderson knuckleheads please give it a rest?

Erstad's on the DL and your golden boy is injured in AAA. Nothing's any different.

Are you guys going to change teams when Anderson gets traded?

CLR01
06-27-2007, 03:53 PM
I guess you guys think this is really clever. Nobody has over-glorified Erstad, nobody has blamed Anderson for all those things,

I have. Well, I haven't over-glorified Erstad(impossible) but you get the point.

Tragg
06-27-2007, 07:54 PM
Still I believe that with the way the team is playing and the direction this team is heading in, his presence does not help us in any way. It hurts us because it holds a starting OF spot hostage in the middle of a garbage season that could be much better used for the development of a prospect. But I think that if the Sox were hitting like they should be, the bullpen was pitching like it was supposed to, and the Sox as a whole were executing in situations that they are supposed to execute in, Darin Erstad would be the best CF option in the organization for a veteran ballclub's final hurrah..
And to me, he symbolizes an offensive philosophy that has overtaken this team: get up there and hack at everything. I put my philosophical disagreements on him, perhaps unfairly.

I agree that at this point he will crowd out young talent; however, I think Ozze will let whatever vet he has crowd out young talent. With Erstad on the DL, Ozzie justs wheels Cintron out there - 2B, 3B, PH, DH, it doesn't matter, Cintron and his .257 OBP and .283 SLG will play before young players with talent.