PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering

SoxxoS
06-26-2007, 08:36 PM
Why does Mackowiak continue to get all these at bats when Ryan Sweeney is in AAA? Why not give the kid a half a season up here to hit major league pitching - His makeup is supposed to be one of his strongest traits...he can handle it.

Mackowiak means nothing to this organization going forward, so lets give the kid some at bats. Call me crazy, but I really don't like looking at Robs 0-fers continuely in the box score.

I am not a minor league guru, but doesn't rushing predominantly refer/affect pitchers only? I think getting to the majors in a season with no pressure should just help matters.

If you look at Sweeney, his minor leaugue numbers are actually not that far from Grady Sizemore's (Gradys are a little better), who played his first full season at 22. Throw him into the fire and learn on the job, I say. Can anyone name any hitter that was "rushed" and "ruined" because of it? Jeff Abbott?

Lip Man 1
06-26-2007, 10:54 PM
Two possibilities:

1. They are 'showcasing' Mac for a deal

2. The folks in charge don't think Sweeney can cut it at the big league level and don't want to diminish his trade potential.

Lip

CLR01
06-26-2007, 11:02 PM
Mackowiak and Ozzie share a love for the same flavor ice cream cone and, unlike the Choice, Mack often pays.

CWSpalehoseCWS
06-26-2007, 11:55 PM
Two possibilities:
2. The folks in charge don't think Sweeney can cut it at the big league level and don't want to diminish his trade potential.

You really think so. I knew KW and Ozzie doen't think BA has it, but I got the impression that Sweeney impressed them a little in his brief stint.

Nellie_Fox
06-27-2007, 12:46 AM
Sometimes, the limitations of the Collective Bargaining Agreement plays into it. Maybe as a fan it seems like a good idea to just start DFAing or releasing guys, but as a business it doesn't.

Sometimes you are going to have to keep guys on your roster because you have no other choice, and the kids are going to go down because you still have options on them.

IowaSox1971
06-27-2007, 03:40 AM
Why does Mackowiak continue to get all these at bats when Ryan Sweeney is in AAA? Why not give the kid a half a season up here to hit major league pitching - His makeup is supposed to be one of his strongest traits...he can handle it.

Mackowiak means nothing to this organization going forward, so lets give the kid some at bats. Call me crazy, but I really don't like looking at Robs 0-fers continuely in the box score.

I am not a minor league guru, but doesn't rushing predominantly refer/affect pitchers only? I think getting to the majors in a season with no pressure should just help matters.

If you look at Sweeney, his minor leaugue numbers are actually not that far from Grady Sizemore's (Gradys are a little better), who played his first full season at 22. Throw him into the fire and learn on the job, I say. Can anyone name any hitter that was "rushed" and "ruined" because of it? Jeff Abbott?

It seems they aren't impressed with how Sweeney has played since he went back down to Triple-A. They probably want to give him some time to work on things he needs to improve on if he's going to succeed at the big-league level.

Dye's comment about not going on the DL "because they don't have anyone to bring up" was telling.