PDA

View Full Version : what to do about Podsednik?

esbrechtel
06-25-2007, 11:53 PM
As the sox do you sign him?
heres why....
1-decent leadoff man, lets face it Pods is one of the better (when healthy) leadoff men in the league
2-after some injury seasons years should go for cheap?
3-There are going to be some major holes to fill...2B, SS, OF, Leadoff man, Bullpen, etc....
4-Statistically, the sox have played better with him in the lineup...

Heres why not
1-has not been healthy
2-Inconsistant
3-Ichiro free agent

If you do not go for Ichiro (leadoff man) that $ could go towards someone else...(WSI's favorite rumor) free agent Arod, or Andruw Jones, etc?

discuss

JB98
06-26-2007, 12:49 AM
heres why....
1-decent leadoff man, lets face it Pods is one of the better (when healthy) leadoff men in the league
2-after some injury seasons years should go for cheap?
3-There are going to be some major holes to fill...2B, SS, OF, Leadoff man, Bullpen, etc....

Heres why not
1-has not been healthy
2-Inconsistant
3-Ichiro free agent

If you do not go for Ichiro (leadoff man) that $ could go towards someone else...(WSI's favorite rumor) free agent Arod, or Andruw Jones, etc?

discuss

The jury is out. First and foremost, Scott has to prove he is healthy.

In addition, a lot depends on what happens the rest of the season in the outfield. Will JD be traded? Will Sweeney get an extended look? If so, does he perform well enough to be in the plans for next season? What about Owens and Anderson? Would they consider moving Fields to LF when Crede returns?

It's just too early to say for certain what should be done with Pods. Too many variables that need to sort themselves out. We've got 90 ballgames left this year to figure some of these unanswered questions out.

oeo
06-26-2007, 12:59 AM
My dream outfield next year is Sweeney, Ichiro, Rios.

Pods just can't stay healthy. I like what he does for this team when he is, but we can't depend on him anymore. Get Ichiro, and if Alex Rios is available...go after him, we have the young pitching.

CLR01
06-26-2007, 01:01 AM
Give him a nice parting gift.

crazyozzie02
06-26-2007, 01:03 AM
i think that we should sign pods, but i think that he should be our 4th outfielder. I like what he always brings to the team, and if someone goes down we have someone proven to step in. I see no way that this would hurt the sox and i think that it would be well worth it. the only question is would he accept that

WhiteSox5187
06-26-2007, 01:51 AM
Hmm...well, IF he can stay healthy I think he would be a good option for LF. The problem is that is a big if, so I think you have to see how he does the rest of the year. If we can trade JD we should call up Sweeney and put him in right and see which one of them does better. The one that does best (and I'm going to give Sweeney a two week period to start hitting) is the one we'll keep. Then next eyar I'd go out and sign Ichiro and put him in right and then sign Rowand (he's a second tier free agent, really). So in the OF you'd have Pods/Sweeney, Ichiro, and Rowand. Will this happen? Good God no. Maybe on my PS2 team, but not for real. At least I don't think so.

Frater Perdurabo
06-26-2007, 08:22 AM
Unless he's an impending free agent, why would Toronto trade Rios? Furthermore, what do the Sox have that Toronto would want in return for Rios?

Back to the Pods question - I agree with JB. We need to find out if he can stay healthy.

Until and unless the Sox go on an extended run (8 of 10, 16 of 20, 32 of 40, etc.), I'm going to argue that almost all veteran position players (other than Thome and AJ) should get dealt. That includes Pods (and Dye, Uribe, Cintron, Uribe, Mackowiak, Paulie). Clear the deck, play the kids, sign Buehrle, and cherry-pick free agents to fill positions where the kids (those from the Sox organization and those obtained in trade) can't play.

DumpJerry
06-26-2007, 08:36 AM
Pods has been healthy with us for 1/2 a season (the first half of 2005). He was hurtin' in Milwaukee before coming here, he'll be hurtin' the rest of his career.

Cut bait.

Banix12
06-26-2007, 09:24 AM
If he is willing to come back on a relatively cheap contract as a 4th OF/Pinch Runner then resign him. If he wants another starting job then let him look elsewhere.

And if for the next couple weeks he stays healthy and plays well, trade him.

JorgeFabregas
06-26-2007, 09:42 AM

Can you substantiate this?

Pods is destined to have a good year this year and a bad year next year. According to the media when they resigned him this year the Sox brass put some credence in his on again-off again pattern. :dunno:

Meixner007
06-26-2007, 10:01 AM
When Pods is playing well and getting on base, the Sox play better. I stand by my opinion that more than any other factor (yes even the pitching), he is the reason we won in 2005.

That being said w/o him in the lineup the Sox are an unproductive, inconsistent lineup at best. The different lineups that result of him not being there are a huge liability; Gooch case and point. I just don't think the Sox can afford to rely on the fact that he will stay healthy for a whole season. Weather he can or not is not important, but rather the play of the team is so diminished when he's gone it would not be a prudent move by Kenny and the organization.

Side note, I don't think signing him as a 4th outfielder/pinch runner would be advantageous. As mentioned before, the reason we win so many games with him in the lineup is because when he's going well he's got to first, stole second and moved in on one or two sacrifices. Before Hawk could get in his Picks to Click it was 1-0. He can't impact the team like that from the bench. You could get a fast guy a lot cheaper and almost certainly with a better arm.

SBSoxFan
06-26-2007, 10:04 AM
Can you substantiate this?

Pods is destined to have a good year this year and a bad year next year. According to the media when they resigned him this year the Sox brass put some credence in his on again-off again pattern. :dunno:

Their record with Pods starting has been noted several times here and in the press, but I don't know if I've ever seen a W-L record. I imagine you could show a similar stat for other players, but Pods is the straw that stirs the drink. I don't know if he's going to stay healthy, but I'll give him a pass on the most recent injury because it was a fluke.

I don't understand the comparisons with Sweeney because the Sox need more speed not less. So, I don't see how Sweeney would be a replacement for Pods. Owens hasn't shown he can hit ML pitching yet. If the Sox were to sign Ichiro, he'd play right or center. In fact, I would go for RF, with someone younger in CF. That still leaves a starting spot for Pods in LF, and I would LOVE to see the speed of Pods and Ichiro in the Sox' lineup.

Randar68
06-26-2007, 10:35 AM
I think the Sox need to pursue a guy like Jimmy Rollins if at all possible. Kill 2 birds with one stone. None of our OF prospects are lead-off hitters, and Uribe is a black hole offensively. Either that or try to replace Iguchi with a lead-off man kind of player.

I like Pods when healthy, but he prances around like "Tinkerbell" on defense. If they can find a SS lead-off man through trade or FA in the offseason, let Pods go. I'd rather see a Fields-Anderson-Sweeney OF with Crede at 3B and a legit lead-off guy at SS.

Might not be able to get a talent like Rollins, though, so I'm not sure what the back-up plan is.

Hell, Kenny Lofton might be a better fit than Pods at this point!

JorgeFabregas
06-26-2007, 10:40 AM
Their record with Pods starting has been noted several times here and in the press, but I don't know if I've ever seen a W-L record. I imagine you could show a similar stat for other players, but Pods is the straw that stirs the drink.
The only time I've seen anything like that recently is someone asserting that the White Sox are "something like 25 games over .500" with Pods in the lineup over the last three years. If that is true, then then White Sox actually have had a slightly better winning percentage without him in the lineup.

SBSoxFan
06-26-2007, 10:43 AM
The only time I've seen anything like that recently is someone asserting that the White Sox are "something like 25 games over .500" with Pods in the lineup over the last three years. If that is true, then then White Sox actually have had a slightly better winning percentage without him in the lineup.

I think that's way low. I believe I read in the newspaper that they were more like 40+ games over 500 with Pods starting. :dunno:

balke
06-26-2007, 10:50 AM
My dream outfield next year is Sweeney, Ichiro, Rios.

Pods just can't stay healthy. I like what he does for this team when he is, but we can't depend on him anymore. Get Ichiro, and if Alex Rios is available...go after him, we have the young pitching.

Dream is the key word here. Realistically, this team is going to cut some payroll, and I think Pods is going to come pretty cheap and will be about the best option they'll have at leadoff. Right now, the whole Ichiro talk is ridiculous. This team isn't a contender, they aren't going to run out and buy a superstar or two. Kenny is going to work with what he's got, try to fill holes and cut some payroll. He has no choice at this point.

balke
06-26-2007, 10:52 AM
I think that's way low. I believe I read in the newspaper that they were more like 40+ games over 500 with Pods starting. :dunno:

Yeah they are like 44 games over .500 w/ Pods, and like .500 or just barely above without him. That was as of about a month and a half ago though, so Now without him they are probably pretty far below .500.

soxinem1
06-26-2007, 12:37 PM
I hope he hits .300 + the rest of the year.

I hope he steals 40 + bases and barely gets caught.

Then I trade him. That will be his peak value for the White Sox.

Lip Man 1
06-26-2007, 12:38 PM
I would be very surprised if he were back next season under any circumstances.

Lip

esbrechtel
06-26-2007, 02:12 PM
Until and unless the Sox go on an extended run (8 of 10, 16 of 20, 32 of 40, etc.), I'm going to argue that almost all veteran position players (other than Thome and AJ) should get dealt. That includes Pods (and Dye, Uribe, Cintron, Uribe, Mackowiak, Paulie). Clear the deck, play the kids, sign Buehrle, and cherry-pick free agents to fill positions where the kids (those from the Sox organization and those obtained in trade) can't play.

Why keep AJ and Thome? Now I like both of these players but lets face it...AJ for starters has declined offensively this season and still cannot throw a guy out running to second....Thome is oft injured and aging...I dont understand your thinking....What gives these guys the free pass in the idea of selling everyone...
IMO the sox do not need a rebuild as much as they need a tweaking, they have had a down year, fine, however an infield consisting of Konerko, Iguchi?, Uribe?, Crede (if healthy) is pretty good defensively, and with the pitching we have it needs to be good. We need an overhaul of the OF, our prospects havent really seemed to be anything special and a competitive playoff team cannot have Luis Terrero starting.

oeo
06-26-2007, 02:57 PM
Unless he's an impending free agent, why would Toronto trade Rios? Furthermore, what do the Sox have that Toronto would want in return for Rios?

There have been numerous people that have said Rios can be had for young pitching. Whether that's true or not, who knows? I just said it was my dream outfield. I'm sure neither Ichiro or Rios will be in our outfield next year, but there's nothing wrong with dreaming.

Dream is the key word here. Realistically, this team is going to cut some payroll, and I think Pods is going to come pretty cheap and will be about the best option they'll have at leadoff. Right now, the whole Ichiro talk is ridiculous. This team isn't a contender, they aren't going to run out and buy a superstar or two. Kenny is going to work with what he's got, try to fill holes and cut some payroll. He has no choice at this point.

Dream is the key word because a)I don't think they'll make a long run at Ichiro anymore and b)Who knows if Rios will be available. Pods won't be with this team next year, though. This team can be built into a contender with a couple of trades and free agent signings...it's not like we're the Royals.

What's ridiculous is people like you that think this team is cheap, and it's well known fact that we will have an $80 million payroll next year. :rolleyes:

Johnny Mostil
06-26-2007, 03:27 PM
If I'm using baseball-reference.com game logs correctly (that's a big, and maybe unwarranted, assumption), then it appears, from the beginning of 2005 through last night (i.e., Podsednik's career with the Sox), the Sox record

with Podsednik playing: 168-113, 0.598
with Podsednik starting: 161-95, 0.629

Sox aggregrate record in that time: 219-177, 0.553

SBSoxFan
06-26-2007, 03:47 PM
If I'm using baseball-reference.com game logs correctly (that's a big, and maybe unwarranted, assumption), then it appears, from the beginning of 2005 through last night (i.e., Podsednik's career with the Sox), the Sox record

with Podsednik playing: 168-113, 0.598
with Podsednik starting: 161-95, 0.629

Sox aggregrate record in that time: 219-177, 0.553

Wow, thanks for compiling this. So, when Pods doesn't start, the Sox are 58 - 82 (0.414). :o: On the other hand, that means Pods has only averaged 114 games played per season since joining the Sox.

SpartanSoxFan
06-26-2007, 03:55 PM
Ichiro would obviously be a dream, but I doubt KW and Uncle Jerry are going to be able to pony up the cash for him. Call me pessimistic but I think other teams are going to offer a lot more than KW/Jerry are willing/able to offer.

Johnny Mostil
06-26-2007, 04:06 PM
Wow, thanks for compiling this. So, when Pods doesn't start, the Sox are 58 - 82 (0.414). :o: On the other hand, that means Pods has only averaged 114 games played per season since joining the Sox.

More precisely, he had 129 games in '05 and 139 games in '06, but will play in no more than 103 (13 to date plus 90 remaining on the schedule) this year.

But, yeah, the difference startled me, too. I'd read about it, but didn't quite believe it.

SBSoxFan
06-26-2007, 04:16 PM
More precisely, he had 129 games in '05 and 139 games in '06, but will play in no more than 103 (13 to date plus 90 remaining on the schedule) this year.

But, yeah, the difference startled me, too. I'd read about it, but didn't quite believe it.

Yes, I neglected to mention that this year really brought down his average. However, considering he played 154 games each of the previous 2 years with Milwaukee, and his injury this year was a fluke, I'm not ready to label him injury prone.

getonbckthr
06-26-2007, 04:35 PM
What to do with Pods? Hope he has a rediculous by his standards month then trade for something, anything at the deadline. Hey look what Dave Roberts did for Boston in 04.

Flight #24
06-26-2007, 05:07 PM
What to do with Pods:

1) Hope like hell he continues to hit and proves he's healthy and productive
2) Hope like hell a contender develops a strong need for a leadoff man for the rest of the year
3) Trade him

Nothing against Pods, but he's like Erstad - you cannot rely on him to stay healthy, which means you cannot rely on him as one of your core components. And if he's healthy & productive, he could easily be the best available leadoff hitter.

How odd would it be for the Sox to have the #1 available starter, leadoff hitter, and slugger on the trade market - and still be way below .500?:?::(:

Thanks for the bullpen there, KW.:angry:

ShoelessJoeS
06-26-2007, 05:20 PM
Give him a nice parting gift.I love Pods when he's healthy, as he is highly valuable to this team... but is he ever?

As for the parting gift, he already has one...

balke
06-26-2007, 06:23 PM
What's ridiculous is people like you that think this team is cheap, and it's well known fact that we will have an $80 million payroll next year. :rolleyes:

People like me (you know my kind so well).

I never said or believed the Sox were cheap. I do see a team over 100 million dollars in payroll with about 30 million dollars worth of production. They won't be spending 15+ mil on a free agent slugger at this point. Right now they will be focused on taking the cost down of this sinking ship.

Now if some magic happens before the season is over, and they loosen up some change by dumping Vazquez, and they at the same time get a young ace in exchange for Buehrle, I believe then they might go splurge on a proven Vet. The pitching (bullpen mainly) will be addressed first IMO. When this team shows it has few holes, then I see the Sox finding a star position player.

Tragg
06-26-2007, 10:18 PM
Next year, it would be nice to have a new SS, 2b and outfield; we could also add the position of lead-off hitter, although it's likely to be one of the above. Now we can't replace each of those positions. So some of Iguchi, Pods and Uribe will be here; perhaps all because we'll assuredly have a new CF and RF at least.
So, ..give him plenty of rest, play the youngsters some, but as of now, keep him...we just may need him next year, depending on what happens. He's not much of a left fielder, but he's still the best lead off hitter in a Sox uniform since Raines and lead off hitters are hard to find.

kitekrazy
06-26-2007, 11:16 PM
He's not much of a left fielder, but he's still the best lead off hitter in a Sox uniform since Raines and lead off hitters are hard to find.

It's not like the majors are full of capable lead off hitters anyway. I doubt there is any in the Sox farm system.

Grzegorz
06-27-2007, 05:39 AM
Keep him and if he performs and stays healthy sign him (w/incentives) for next year.

StepsInSC
06-27-2007, 09:59 AM
I'm going to start the replace him with Fukudome (http://www.japanesebaseball.com/players/player.jsp?PlayerID=1064) train...

goldglovesox
06-27-2007, 06:32 PM
I am sure you all saw the game last night. But I enjoyed seeing some emotion out of him after he struck out. A 1-1 back door CB was called a strike and then he swung through a FB up and was yelling all the way back to the dugout. It was nice to see emotion from him (or anybody for that matter). I also think he defense is 100% better than last year. He has been fun to watch this year and think he should be back next season.

GlassSox
06-28-2007, 12:03 AM
Keep Pods as long as he can stay healthy. He has definitely helped recently and we have needed something or someone to spark this team.

slobes
06-28-2007, 12:10 AM
He's definitely been a sparkplug to this team since he's come back. I would keep a healthy Pods in the leadoff role in a heartbeat, but he's proven that he definitely can't stay healthy. Find someone else that can be a little more consistent in the leadoff position.

lizard6king6
06-28-2007, 12:12 AM
As you can tell in previous posts I am a big Pods supporter. Keep him, thats all thats to it. Hes a spark plug and he brings wins when hes healthy.

esbrechtel
06-28-2007, 07:43 AM
Keep him and if he performs and stays healthy sign him (w/incentives) for next year.

That is really an awesome idea, a contract with incentives to hold him accountable

russ99
06-28-2007, 09:40 AM
I hope he stays healthy the rest of the season and makes a decision tough for the Sox as to sign him or go to arb.

Last night's triple looked really good. He's certainly a sparkplug...

lostfan
06-28-2007, 09:58 AM
I prefer someone who's actually good and not just theoretically good. What good is a spark plug if it's only connected half the time?

ChiSoxFan7
06-28-2007, 10:20 AM
All he can be for any organzation is a pinch runner/ last resort outfielder.

That is unless he heals completely by next year at which point he could become a 9 hole hitter with tons of speed and just a pain for pitchers (i.e. corey patterson)

balke
06-28-2007, 10:51 AM
I prefer someone who's actually good and not just theoretically good. What good is a spark plug if it's only connected half the time?

He is actually good. I think you'll find a lot of guys with speed get injuries. Not everyone is Ricky Henderson. In fact, noone is. I think guys in their early 20's won't have that problem, but those are the hardest guys to get. You have to draft them.

He's back, provided a spark last night. You keep the good underrated leadoff guy who should come cheap. Then if you suck again and he's having a great year, you trade him. You don't just dump him when he's bad. That's bad economics.

The Immigrant
06-28-2007, 10:59 AM
If he stays healthy for the rest of this year and shows that he has some speed left in those brittle legs, the Sox should offer him arbitration or sign him to an incentive-laden contract. Given our lack of OF depth and the near certainty of Dye leaving, cutting a healthy Podsednik loose would be lunacy.

lostfan
06-28-2007, 11:06 AM
He is actually good. I think you'll find a lot of guys with speed get injuries. Not everyone is Ricky Henderson. In fact, noone is. I think guys in their early 20's won't have that problem, but those are the hardest guys to get. You have to draft them.

He's back, provided a spark last night. You keep the good underrated leadoff guy who should come cheap. Then if you suck again and he's having a great year, you trade him. You don't just dump him when he's bad. That's bad economics.
Of course there's guys that get hurt, and then there's guys that get hurt ALL THE TIME. The latter is Podsednik, and although we all know what he brings to the table when he's healthy (key phrase: when he's healthy), when he's not playing he's just theoretically good. It's not like he's Mike Brown for the Bears, who has bad luck and is always in the wrong place at the wrong time when a major injury is waiting to happen. He gets hurt doing drills in practice and goes for weeks or months at a time.

Even if he's underrated and cheap, that's all well and good... but no matter how good or underrated he is, it doesn't matter if he only plays 95 games a year.

SBSoxFan
06-28-2007, 11:08 AM
Of course there's guys that get hurt, and then there's guys that get hurt ALL THE TIME. The latter is Podsednik, and although we all know what he brings to the table when he's healthy (key phrase: when he's healthy), when he's not playing he's just theoretically good.

Even if he's underrated and cheap, that's all well and good... but no matter how good or underrated he is, it doesn't matter if he only plays 95 games a year.

:rolleyes:

This will be the first year he's played less than 129 games in his career.

lostfan
06-28-2007, 11:15 AM

Yeah, so? Way to take the arbitrary number I posted literally and miss the point completely. That's about the worst way you could've refuted what I said.

Now if you said "lost, you're wrong, I think he's just had some bad breaks lately and I think the injury-prone label is unfair" that's perfectly valid. But that's not what you're saying.

SBSoxFan
06-28-2007, 11:30 AM
Yeah, so? Way to take the arbitrary number I posted literally and miss the point completely. That's about the worst way you could've refuted what I said.

Now if you said "lost, you're wrong, I think he's just had some bad breaks lately and I think the injury-prone label is unfair" that's perfectly valid. But that's not what you're saying.

What part of your statement "he's hurt all the time" did I misconstrue?

I've already posted several times that I believe Pods isn't injury prone, although not specifically to you that I recall. So, lost, I think your wrong. Pods has played in 154, 154, 129, and 139 games in his ML career prior to this season. I feel the injury that kept him out of the majority of games this year was a fluke. Hence, I'm not ready to label him injury prone yet. Should he suffer another leg injury again this year, I may have to rethink that. The fact is that when Pods is in the starting lineup, the Sox win. And he's a fairly inexpensive cog. Therefore, I'd like to see him starting in LF for the Sox again next year. In fact, I'd love to see what he and Ichiro could do in the same lineup. Okay?

lostfan
06-28-2007, 11:43 AM
What part of your statement "he's hurt all the time" did I misconstrue?

I've already posted several times that I believe Pods isn't injury prone, although not specifically to you that I recall. So, lost, I think your wrong. Pods has played in 154, 154, 129, and 139 games in his ML career prior to this season. I feel the injury that kept him out of the majority of games this year was a fluke. Hence, I'm not ready to label him injury prone yet. Should he suffer another leg injury again this year, I may have to rethink that. The fact is that when Pods is in the starting lineup, the Sox win. And he's a fairly inexpensive cog. Therefore, I'd like to see him starting in LF for the Sox again next year. In fact, I'd love to see what he and Ichiro could do in the same lineup. Okay?
Yeah that's a 100% better explanation.

Anyway, I feel the way I do about Pods because it's not just this one injury, obviously. He got hurt in '05... ok, fine. Came back sluggish IIRC and not the same as he was for the first half of the year, but it was still enough to get the team hot thru the playoffs. Then in 2006 something was clearly wrong with him, I found myself screaming at the screen more often than not. I, like many others, couldn't stand the player he had become that year. So, I figured after he had his hernia surgery (looking at his wife, I can totally understand why he'd have that problem so he gets props) that he was finally ready to go in '07. It sure started off that way, then, like clockwork... nope. Now I'm just crossing my fingers hoping that he finishes the year not just without injury, but without invisible aftereffects.

balke
06-28-2007, 07:57 PM
Maybe everyone would be happier if the Sox had Willie Harris back in the leadoff spot? Or Coco Crisp and his awesome injury history?

lostfan
06-28-2007, 08:19 PM
Lance Johnson should come out of retirement.

RowanDye
07-01-2007, 03:32 PM
<groan> Strained left rib cage muscle? It's getting harder and harder to envision a spot on the team next year for Scottie.

santo=dorf
07-01-2007, 03:44 PM

He played through 2005 unhealthy as well.

All this talk about "when he's healthy," and "sign him to an incentive laden deal" sounds awfully familiar with the pinheads on the North Side and their obsession with Wood and Prior.

Giving Pods a contract with incentives is not going to improve his body. Look at Balsa Wood. I don't think he has even thrown a pitch for the I-Cubs yet.

Pods and Erstad = Prior and Wood.

both teams just need to cut them loose.

santo=dorf
07-01-2007, 03:46 PM
Maybe everyone would be happier if the Sox had Willie Harris back in the leadoff spot? Or Coco Crisp and his awesome injury history?
Harris has been ****ing awesome against RHP. You want a "spark plug?" Take a look at his game last night:
Willie Harris reached base three times and stole three bases Saturday against the Marlins.

Harris went 1-for-3 with a walk and a HBP. His average has dipped from .412 on June 12 to .373 now, but he's still getting on base enough to appease the Braves and the steals will give him fantasy value for as long as he remains in the lineup. The Braves still need to be thinking about bringing in a left fielder to help them down the stretch.

Tragg
07-01-2007, 04:38 PM
Harris has been ****ing awesome against RHP. You want a "spark plug?" Take a look at his game last night:

Harris is certainly a lot better utility infielder than what we have...he can also play outfield.

MDF3530
07-01-2007, 04:56 PM
I say launch Pods. He is such a baby he can't play through pain. He gets a case of the sniffles and he's out for a month.

Here's what I'd say to him after the last game of the season:

DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU IN THE ASS ON THE WAY OUT!

TomBradley72
07-01-2007, 05:03 PM
I can't believe any WSox fan would want us to re-sign Pods. In his three years with the White Sox he has been healthy for exactly one half of one season (2005) the rest of the time completely hobbled by injuries. On top of that, when he is healthy, his at best a mediocre outfielder with a below mediocre throwing arm.

It's time to move on.

Tragg
07-01-2007, 05:31 PM
I can't believe any WSox fan would want us to re-sign Pods. In his three years with the White Sox he has been healthy for exactly one half of one season (2005) the rest of the time completely hobbled by injuries. On top of that, when he is healthy, his at best a mediocre outfielder with a below mediocre throwing arm.

It's time to move on.
I can't disagree with any of your points.
The problem is we have nothing close to a leadoff hitter except for him....and we went basically 10+ years without one prior to him. I don't even want to think about what hacker ozzie's going to have batting first tomorrow.

Martinigirl
07-01-2007, 05:59 PM
Does anyone have any idea how long it normally takes to recover from such an injury?

lostfan
07-01-2007, 06:14 PM
Does anyone have any idea how long it normally takes to recover from such an injury?
Strained rib cage? See Jim Thome.

DickAllen72
07-01-2007, 06:21 PM
I don't even want to think about what hacker ozzie's going to have batting first tomorrow.
I'd have Iguchi leadoff tomorrow. Hopefully Dye can play by tomorrow night.

balke
07-01-2007, 06:41 PM

Yeah I know he's awesome... because he's in Atlanta. Bring him back here and he'll be WIllie Harris I'm sure.

Tragg
07-01-2007, 06:50 PM
I'd have Iguchi leadoff tomorrow. Hopefully Dye can play by tomorrow night.

I'm sure it will be Torrero-Gonzalez....

It think we'd be better off with Sweeney-Anderson but that's another story.

WSox597
07-01-2007, 08:07 PM
Every female Sox fan I know would be most unhappy if they traded Pods.

They think he's a "hottie". And that's the end of that.

On a real note, when he's healthy I like what he brings to the table. But, he's not healthy for long. I wonder why this guy gets injured so much. Is it a training issue? Or is he just built that way? Sneeze funny and it's the DL for a month.

MDF3530
07-01-2007, 08:14 PM

On a real note, when he's healthy I like what he brings to the table. But, he's not healthy for long. I wonder why this guy gets injured so much. Is it a training issue? Or is he just built that way? Sneeze funny and it's the DL for a month.It's because he's a damn baby.

ChiSox4Life
07-01-2007, 08:19 PM
It's because he's a damn baby.

I will second that! Man up and earn your salary!

lizard6king6
07-01-2007, 08:47 PM
We dont even know the extent of the injury yet. He may be out 1 game and return. Lets wait and see before we start bashing already although it seems most people dont like Pods anyhow.

MDF3530
07-01-2007, 08:51 PM
We dont even know the extent of the injury yet. He may be out 1 game and return. Lets wait and see before we start bashing already although it seems most people dont like Pods anyhow.
I like him, I just hate the fact that he's a baby when it comes to playing with pain. The guy stubs his toe and he has to go on the DL. Rub some dirt on it, suck it up and get your ass out there.

SOXandILLINI
07-01-2007, 08:53 PM
Let's face it, and i like pods, but he's a paper doll, and it looks like he's just prone to this kind of crap. Cut your losses now, a leadoff man is too important to be constantly on the d.l.

Martinigirl
07-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Let's face it, and i like pods, but he's a paper doll, and it looks like he's just prone to this kind of crap. Cut your losses now, a leadoff man is too important to be constantly on the d.l.

Who do you suggest we replace him with? Erstad? He seems as likely to remain healthy as Pods.

Cutting him seems a bit premature when we have no idea how severe the injury is.

SOXandILLINI
07-01-2007, 09:38 PM
Cut your losses doesn't mean cut him. It simply means shop him. Teams are always looking for speed come playoff time, and personally i don't care who they replace him with this year, this year is OVA, to coin the ultimate kool- aid drinkers new catch phrase.

balke
07-01-2007, 10:34 PM
I like him, I just hate the fact that he's a baby when it comes to playing with pain. The guy stubs his toe and he has to go on the DL. Rub some dirt on it, suck it up and get your ass out there.

Haha. Yeah, Thome too. What a baby.

SBSoxFan
07-02-2007, 10:29 AM
:angry: Well, the only positive thing about this is at least it wasn't a leg injury.

jabrch
07-02-2007, 10:39 AM

I love internet tough-guys!

RowanDye
07-02-2007, 11:03 AM

:?: If Pods can't run, he's useless to us anyways. Plus, I'm sure Pods would like to play somewhere next year and not just throw away his career by playing hurt and potentially seriously injuring something.

SOXandILLINI
07-02-2007, 09:25 PM
Pods to the DL? ..... No.:rolleyes:

doublem23
07-02-2007, 10:15 PM
I'm not ready to stick Podsednik in a small ship and blast him to the vacuum of space, however, I am ready for the Sox to move on. I'd like to see KW offer him an insentive-laden contract for games played, time off the DL, etc., but also to look at Podsednik as nothing more than a 4th outfielder at this point... I know Ichiro will be an FA at the end of the year, but I'm not sure he's going to be in our realistic price range... What other outfielders will be on the open market this year? I'm not terribly sold on rebuilding from within with Anderson/Sweeney/Owens/Terrerro/Whoever.

oeo
07-02-2007, 10:24 PM
I'm not ready to stick Podsednik in a small ship and blast him to the vacuum of space, however, I am ready for the Sox to move on. I'd like to see KW offer him an insentive-laden contract for games played, time off the DL, etc., but also to look at Podsednik as nothing more than a 4th outfielder at this point... I know Ichiro will be an FA at the end of the year, but I'm not sure he's going to be in our realistic price range... What other outfielders will be on the open market this year? I'm not terribly sold on rebuilding from within with Anderson/Sweeney/Owens/Terrerro/Whoever.

Free agent outfielders:
Bobby Abreu
Ichiro
Andruw Jones
Torii Hunter
Adam Dunn
Milton Bradley
Aaron Rowand
Corey Patterson
Eric Byrnes

So Ichiro will be the only lead off hitter out there. But Castillo and Eckstein will be out there as lead off hitters as middle infielders.

I think our lead off hitter will be either Eckstein or someone through trade right now.

doublem23
07-02-2007, 10:25 PM
Free agent outfielders:
Bobby Abreu
Ichiro
Andruw Jones
Torii Hunter
Adam Dunn
Milton Bradley
Aaron Rowand

So Ichiro will be the only lead off hitter out there. But Castillo and Eckstein will be out there as lead off hitters as middle infielders.

I think our lead off hitter will be either Eckstein or someone through trade right now.

Starting in left field, for your Chicago White Sox, number 33...

:rowand

oeo
07-02-2007, 10:29 PM
Starting in left field, for your Chicago White Sox, number 33...

:rowand

I forgot Corey Patterson, as well.

EDIT: And Eric Byrnes. :tongue:

tick53
07-04-2007, 08:50 AM
Pods is another China doll with a below average arm and limited outfield skills. We need a real outfield, period.

BainesHOF
07-04-2007, 09:00 AM
Give him a nice parting gift.

He already received one in his 2007 contract.

southside rocks
07-04-2007, 09:00 AM

H'mmm ... I'm a female, and a Sox fan, and I know a bunch of other female Sox fans, and none of us have thought Pods is "hot" since 2005. And what was hot about him then was the way he played baseball, which made him attractive. On the DL, he's just another 'eh, no thanks' kind of guy. So Kenny and Jerry aren't, I hope, keeping Pods here just for us gals. :cool:

TomBradley72
07-04-2007, 10:12 AM

And with Pods it's exacerbated by the fact that his game is based on his ability to steal bases....any little pull/twitch/strain...impedes that. Then he turns into a light hitting, weak throwing, average fielding LF who can't steal bases.

Law11
07-04-2007, 10:46 AM
he gone... Enough's enough..
Nice guy or not.

jabrch
07-04-2007, 12:05 PM
I'm not ready to stick Podsednik in a small ship and blast him to the vacuum of space, however, I am ready for the Sox to move on. I'd like to see KW offer him an insentive-laden contract for games played, time off the DL, etc., but also to look at Podsednik as nothing more than a 4th outfielder at this point...

Well said DoubleM. I agree 100%

Noneck
07-04-2007, 12:16 PM
It seems like most are saying goodbye to Pods. Lets wait and see what can be gotten to fill that slot. There are alot of other holes that have to be filled and he may turn out to be our best option. I believe Pods epitaph was also written last year.