PDA

View Full Version : *Official* OMG, the bull pen protects a lead! 6-25 post game thread

Railsplitter
06-25-2007, 09:21 PM
:o: A winner!

CubsfansareDRUNK
06-25-2007, 09:22 PM
:?:

oeo
06-25-2007, 09:23 PM
Since they always avoid the 6-game losing streak, Ozzie just needs to tell them they're on a 5-game losing streak every day. :D:

Kwrubac
WE WON? :?: I mean, WE WON!!! :bandance::D:

CLR01
Maybe a team they can win a series against? Although the Florida series fooled me too.

balke
06-25-2007, 09:24 PM
Now if they can just win out....

Over By There
Pen actually looked decent. I almost forgot... winning is fun.

The Immigrant
:bundy

ChiSox4Life
Here we go boys... Get ready for the run they are going to go on!

CLR01
06-25-2007, 09:25 PM
I'd hate to be hanging out on the TB boards tonight. :?:

JB98
06-25-2007, 09:26 PM
The bullpen pitched great. I haven't said that in a long, long time.

In particular, I thought Thornton looked sharp. Good managing by Ozzie to give those guys just one inning and nothing more. They will all leave the park feeling good about the way they pitched.

Dan Mega
Here comes a 50 game tear.

StillMissOzzie
Still, it's NEVER ****ing easy! But then again, I haven't had the chance to whine about WINNING a game for a while now. Overall, the bullpen looked...adequate. Not as impressive as the D-Ray bullpen, but adequate.

SMO
:gulp:

spongyfungy
06-25-2007, 09:27 PM
hugging in the dugout like we won the world series or something.

kobo
06-25-2007, 09:27 PM
About time the bullpen did their job.

Tragg
06-25-2007, 09:28 PM
Nice to win one.

I see that Fossum took the L and basically stiinks. Wasn't he a highly touted Red Sox prospect of a few years ago?

mark2olson
06-25-2007, 09:28 PM
Good job tonight! Let's do it again tomorrow!

hi im skot
06-25-2007, 09:29 PM
We'll take that one!

oeo
06-25-2007, 09:29 PM
hugging in the dugout like we won the world series or something.

Looked more like relief. Hugging is never a bad thing to see.

WhiteSox5187
06-25-2007, 09:30 PM
So...this is winning.

cheezheadsoxfan
06-25-2007, 09:30 PM
I don't know what to say. Hopefully this can last a few games.:praying:

Rockin Robin
06-25-2007, 09:31 PM
I'm still not ready to give up on the year...

I know this is said after every solid win, but maybe this can be the start of a tear?

seventyseven
06-25-2007, 09:32 PM
holy ****, we won.

:nuts:

JB98
06-25-2007, 09:33 PM

I know this is said after every solid win, but maybe this can be the start of a tear?

For this club, two wins in a row would be a tear.

WhiteSox5187
06-25-2007, 09:35 PM
Yea honestly. Let's just get a win tommorrow. I'm not going to start even entertaining the possibility of a "tear" until we win four games in a row. And I think that would take nothing short of an act of God.

Grzegorz
Good managing by Ozzie to give those guys just one inning and nothing more. They will all leave the park feeling good about the way they pitched.

I totally agree; give the guys some limited work where they succeed and slowly rebuild their confidence.

Kwrubac

it's sad, but true...:(:

balke

I thought that's what he meant by tear. Can you win more than 2 games in a row in baseball?

soxstarter
06-25-2007, 09:36 PM
:winner

That looks nice again!

Kwrubac
06-25-2007, 09:37 PM
I thought that's what he meant by tear. Can you win more than 2 games in a row in baseball?

i've heard rumors of this...but I can neither confirm nor deny that...

JB98
06-25-2007, 09:39 PM

I seem to recall winning something like eight in a row, but that was a long time ago in a land far from here.....

CLR01
06-25-2007, 09:40 PM

My great grandfather used to tell me stories when I was younger about the 2005 team and the 8 game tears they would go on. Can you imagine what that must have been like? Different time and a different game I guess. http://whitesoxinteractive.com/chisox716/shrug.gif

Kwrubac
06-25-2007, 09:41 PM
My great grandfather used to tell me stories when I was younger about the 2005 team and the 8 game tears they would go on. Can you imagine what that must have been like. Different time and a different game I guess. http://whitesoxinteractive.com/chisox716/shrug.gif

Fade into a flash back of 2005....

Huisj
06-25-2007, 09:43 PM
Steve Phillips just said on Baseball Tonight that the real reason the Sox have long losing streaks is because they don't have a stopper in their rotation. Yeah, like starting pitching has been the reason for the collapse. puke on you, steve. You'll never get it.

And then in an interesting twist, they showed the highlights, and Danks wasn't too good, but the bullpen was great and the offense came through with timely hits.

kitekrazy
06-25-2007, 09:44 PM
Maybe this is their one win for the week.

oeo
06-25-2007, 09:45 PM
Steve Phillips just said on Baseball Tonight that the real reason the Sox have long losing streaks is because they don't have a stopper in their rotation. Yeah, like starting pitching has been the reason for the collapse. puke on you, steve. You'll never get it.

And then in an interesting twist, they showed the highlights, and Danks wasn't too good, but the bullpen was great and the offense came through with timely hits.

No, he did the same typical bull**** they always do on that show: he never answered the question. He just talked about the Red Sox and Angels. :?: That's his way of saying, I didn't do my research so I'm just going to tell you what it takes to win games consistently.

Railsplitter
06-25-2007, 09:47 PM
:winner

That looks nice again!
Can't have that up enough times!

HotelWhiteSox
06-25-2007, 09:47 PM
Andy Gonzalez 4-5 :o:

Pods in, we win :wink: Pablo was good, but I always liked Pods against lefties

No HRs and the bullpen holds it down, finally a win :D:

Huisj
06-25-2007, 09:48 PM
No, he did the same typical bull**** they always do on that show: he never answered the question. He just talked about the Red Sox and Angels. :?:

Yeah. I actually cussed at my TV when he started talking about the Red Sox. Did he get confused about what team he was supposed to be talking about?

But I just thought it was funny how he acted like he knew for sure what it was that made the Sox lose, and he couldn't have been more wrong. And then to make it even funnier, they showed the Sox winning without the thing he said they needed to win.

UserNameBlank
06-25-2007, 09:48 PM
The Sox won a ballgame? Wow...

Really?

Like this isn't a joke or something?

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:nPusdPX2IjjkQM:http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/2006/11/20/pMryJtmh.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/2006/11/20/pMryJtmh.jpg&imgrefurl=http://feedingthegoat.blogspot.com/search/label/Hawk%2520Harrelson&h=235&w=275&sz=16&hl=en&start=4&sig2=pV2YaPgK9czEbb8mxzGpCA&tbnid=nPusdPX2IjjkQM:&tbnh=97&tbnw=114&ei=SH6ARvHRNIGeiQGon_CqDg&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dhawk%2Bharrelson%26gbv%3D2%26svnum%3D 10%26hl%3Den)
"You win 60, you lose 90; it's what you do with the other 12 that makes the difference."

Guess this must be one of the 12! Way to go, Sox!

manders_01
06-25-2007, 09:51 PM
A-woo-hoo!!!

balke
06-25-2007, 09:52 PM
Steve Phillips just said on Baseball Tonight that the real reason the Sox have long losing streaks is because they don't have a stopper in their rotation. Yeah, like starting pitching has been the reason for the collapse.

Hahaha, the Sox just had 3 awesome outings by SP in a row. Garlands last start wasn't that bad either. What a maroon.

MushMouth
06-25-2007, 09:53 PM
We're gonna win 15 straight!!!!!!!!!!!:bandance:

HartmanSox
06-25-2007, 09:58 PM
John Kruk - "The White Sox are struggling because of the lack of Podsednik in the lineup"

:?::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Scotty makes every single player in our lineup underperform/get injured.

DoItForDanPasqua
06-25-2007, 09:58 PM
Holy ****, close down LaSalle: there's going to be a parade tomorrow.

hose
06-25-2007, 09:59 PM
The pen came through....woohoo!!!!!!

ViPeRx007
06-25-2007, 10:01 PM
I'm thrilled the bullpen was able to do so well. It was almost like those first few weeks of the season where they were actually passable as an actual bullpen.

That has to give everyone on the team a bit of a lift. I'm not by any means holding my breath on things turning around, but it's good to see a well played game for once. It's been WAAAY too long.

balke
06-25-2007, 10:01 PM
John Kruk - "The White Sox are struggling because of the lack of Podsednik in the lineup"

:?::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Scotty makes every single player in our lineup underperform/get injured.

That's not the right way to address the problem, but I think there's a smidge of truth in that. The 3-4-5 hitters would be hitting a lot better if the guys in front of them were on base, and taking attention away from the plate. Speed kills, we've seen it happen here many times for the visitors and home team. Jerry Owens had a little success in bringing that, but he's not on as much as Pods is.

Cellview22
06-25-2007, 10:04 PM
:supernana::supernana::supernana:

I like this feeling!

kevingrt
06-25-2007, 10:17 PM
Woohoo!!!

cws05champ
06-25-2007, 10:26 PM
Andy Gonzalez 4-5 :o:

Pods in, we win :wink: Pablo was good, but I always liked Pods against lefties

No HRs and the bullpen holds it down, finally a win :D:

This thread should be renamed: The Official Andy Gonzalez game of his life thread!!

russ99
06-25-2007, 10:45 PM
The bullpen pitched great. I haven't said that in a long, long time.

In particular, I thought Thornton looked sharp. Good managing by Ozzie to give those guys just one inning and nothing more. They will all leave the park feeling good about the way they pitched.

Yeah, that was nice. Here's hoping the Sox can put together a string of good games together. My whipping boy Gonzalez had a good game too.

Still, the large amount of strikeouts were worrysome, and there's still lots of work to do.

Chicken Dinner
06-25-2007, 10:45 PM
Has Masset pitched an inning in relief that he hasn't walked anybody or given up a hit?

chisoxfanatic
06-25-2007, 10:52 PM
Holy ****, close down LaSalle: there's going to be a parade tomorrow.
I'm sure the parade would draw more than the Anaheim Ducks' Stanley Cup Championship "rally" just a couple weeks ago.

It's about time they look alive for once! Hopefully they can get out of this funk and win two in a row for the first time this month. We have the guy to do it tomorrow!

thomas35forever
06-25-2007, 10:55 PM
What's that? The Sox won? And on the road too?! PINCH ME!!!

kitekrazy
06-25-2007, 11:58 PM
That's not the right way to address the problem, but I think there's a smidge of truth in that. The 3-4-5 hitters would be hitting a lot better if the guys in front of them were on base, and taking attention away from the plate. Speed kills, we've seen it happen here many times for the visitors and home team. Jerry Owens had a little success in bringing that, but he's not on as much as Pods is.

Gotta agree. We've also seen how lack of speed kills.

kitekrazy
06-26-2007, 12:01 AM
Has Masset pitched an inning in relief that he hasn't walked anybody or given up a hit?

Do simulated games count?

chisoxfanatic
06-26-2007, 12:03 AM
Do simulated games count?
Only if you allow them to count for Kerry Wood and Mark Prior, for which they are on their way to the Simulated Hall of Fame. :tongue:

aryzner
06-26-2007, 12:12 AM
I cracked up when they showed the replay of Coop after the last out was made. The look on his face was hysterical.

SoxandtheCityTee
06-26-2007, 06:59 AM
No, he did the same typical bull**** they always do on that show: he never answered the question. He just talked about the Red Sox and Angels. :?: That's his way of saying, I didn't do my research so I'm just going to tell you what it takes to win games consistently.

Exactly. Phillips is there for his silvery-haired good looks, apparently (puke). I can't even watch BBTN for the updates, the show's so bad. Soon ESPN will be nothing but Mike & Mike except when the network isn't airing live sports. Talk about overexposed.

Sorry, mini-hijack/rant over. Good win!

wassagstdu
06-26-2007, 07:12 AM
Not to rain on this parade, but 15 strikeouts (45 in the last 4 games) against weak pitching is not going to win too many. Fields is the champ.

Frater Perdurabo
06-26-2007, 07:17 AM

I know that Pods helps, but last year Pods was pretty bad. So were the 8/9 spots (Uribe/Anderson).

But last year, the Sox got great performances from the 2-7 spots in the lineup. Iguchi, Thome, Konerko, Dye, AJ and Crede all had great seasons. This year, apart from Crede, that same group remains together. Yes, Thome and Dye have missed some games, but both of them missed a few games last year, too. So what's changed? Are we now going to argue that Crede's absence accounts for the radical transition from "great" to "suck?"

Yes, the Sox have had more than their fair share of injuries. But that still does not fully explain the complete suck-fest from the heart of the order. Last year, many of them had career "best" years. This year, they are not only regressing to the mean, but are having career "worst" years.

Injuries are a cheap excuse for those who simply aren't performing - or those who, for sentimental reasons, want to excuse poor performance by their chosen favorites.

That being said, it's great that the Sox won a game, that the bullpen shut down a fast and powerful Rays offense, and that they have a glimmer of confidence going into tonight's game.

MsSoxVixen22
06-26-2007, 08:19 AM
We actually hung on to win a game?!:thud:Decent effort by Danks, he got himself out of a couple jams and Pods and Andy G. got it done! Now let's keep it going boys! If we start stringing some wins together, who knows what could happen!

The Immigrant
06-26-2007, 08:32 AM
If we start stringing some wins together, who knows what could happen!

If we win 12 in a row, we'd be right back at .500! :supernana:

Of course, this team hasn't one two in a row since mid-May, but we shouldn't let "facts" or "reality" get in the way. :tongue:

SBSoxFan
06-26-2007, 09:14 AM
Yeah, that was nice. Here's hoping the Sox can put together a string of good games together. My whipping boy Gonzalez had a good game too.

Still, the large amount of strikeouts were worrysome, and there's still lots of work to do.

I could have struck out a few people with that strike zone Tampa Bay was pitching too. Despite that, they beat a soft-tossing lefty. :bandance::bandance:

Right as the bottom of the eighth was starting, my power went out. So, I went to bed dreading what might happen in the last 2 innings. I wake up this morning, and my newspaper consists of 2 section E's, 2 classifieds, and 2 Kohls' adds. :?: I didn't hear about the outcome of the game until I got to work this morning.

Jurr
06-26-2007, 09:21 AM
It's funny how life has changed for the Sox fan. In June of '06, we were talking about the possibility of a repeat. In June of '07, we're talking about finally beating a team that wears an MLB logo on the backs of their uniforms.

:redface: for our boys.

Fenway
06-26-2007, 09:38 AM
TAMPA TRIBUNE

Rays Done In By Sox Pen (http://www.tbo.com/sports/rays/MGBK4BRTD3F.html)

White Sox relievers make a tenuous one-run lead hold up, stopping the Devil Rays' win streak with a 5-4 decision at Tropicana Field Monday.

balke
06-26-2007, 09:47 AM
I know that Pods helps, but last year Pods was pretty bad. So were the 8/9 spots (Uribe/Anderson).

But last year, the Sox got great performances from the 2-7 spots in the lineup. Iguchi, Thome, Konerko, Dye, AJ and Crede all had great seasons. This year, apart from Crede, that same group remains together. Yes, Thome and Dye have missed some games, but both of them missed a few games last year, too. So what's changed? Are we now going to argue that Crede's absence accounts for the radical transition from "great" to "suck?"

I would say Pods (bad season or not) was still a big factor in helping the heart of the order. 27 doubles, 45 SB's show that the guy was in scoring position. He ended up with 80 runs and missed over 20 games.

Just getting someone with speed who can steal on base really can do wonders for the offense. That's why I was shocked Ozzie was talking about keeping Erstad leading off if both were healthy and in the lineup. Erstad isn't much of a better hitter, and doesn't put himself in scoring position as much.

Either way Pods and Erstad both would help this team hit if they were at the top of the order, these rookies haven't shown much of anything leading off.

Frankfan4life
06-26-2007, 12:13 PM

I know this is said after every solid win, but maybe this can be the start of a tear?For some reason I still feel that way too. It won't be long before we'll either be proven wrong or right. In the meantime, we can still hope.