PDA

View Full Version : 1993 Clinching Game

downstairs
06-25-2007, 07:15 PM
Sorry if this has been posted before, but I just found that MLB.com has the full 1993 White Sox clincher:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/baseballs_best/mlb_bb_gamepage.jsp?story_page=bb_93reg_092793_sea cha

Last time I checked their "MLB's greatest" section this wasn't there. Must have added more eventually.

mrwag
06-26-2007, 09:03 AM
I was there in the right field bleachers. Ahh.... Memories!

SoxandtheCityTee
06-26-2007, 09:13 AM
I was in Box 141, 12th row behind the Sox dugout. I got Jason Bere's autograph on a ball before the game. There was a huge full moon hanging low in the eastern sky when Bo's high-fly HR went over it. Until I saw this game on TV years later I didn't realize that the shortstop backed up when the ball was first hit. I doubt anyone in the park thought that a ball hit that high would go out. That man was strong.

JorgeFabregas
06-26-2007, 09:44 AM
First game I ever attended. I won a bunch of tickets from WMAQ 670 when they gave out UD tickets like candy. :D:

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-26-2007, 10:04 AM
I was in Sec 125, 4 rows off the concourse. The 1st time I got a headache from screaming that wouldn't go away. When Bo's HR cleared the fence, I went ape****.

What an awesome game.

sox102
06-26-2007, 12:02 PM
I was there too...in the UD. We made a banner for the game and ended up throwing it over the side with all the other stuff being thrown all over the place. What an awesome game that was!!! Memories is right!! :D:

kingpin_rcs
06-26-2007, 12:20 PM
I was there too. In the left field bleachers. Bo Jackson's homer landed a section or two away from me. We had a big banner that said "Sox Clinch! YES!". They showed us on the scoreboard and my friend took a great picture. I have a 8x10 picture of the scoreboard with us holding our banner (you can't make out our faces but you can see the banner).

That was a great day. There was a double header the day before against Texas. Has the Sox swept the DH they would have clinched then but they lost. I went to 3 Sox games in two days.

Good times.

soxinem1
06-26-2007, 12:51 PM
I remember that night very well. I was in 161.

I was never a Bo fan, but more glad that the White Sox won.

WhiteSoxJunkie
06-26-2007, 12:57 PM
Until I saw this game on TV years later I didn't realize that the shortstop backed up when the ball was first hit. I doubt anyone in the park thought that a ball hit that high would go out. That man was strong.

The HR that Fields hit last Tuesday reminded me of Bo's HR. It was a high pop up that the centerfielder thought he would catch easily but it just kept going and going til it was over the wall.

tony1972
06-26-2007, 12:57 PM
After 2005 and 1990..1993 was my favorite season (especially after Labor Day when we started to run away with the division)....

It's the last time we clinched at home and it was pretty amazing...

(2000 and all 2005 clinches were on the road)...

tacosalbarojas
06-26-2007, 01:50 PM
Cool that MLB has this, but I think I'll hold on to my tape of this game, which is complete with the postgame stuff from the clubhouse featuring a completely blitzed Joey Cora making absolutely no sense when he was interviewed live on SportsChannel.

Walker29
06-26-2007, 04:07 PM
I was 15, a family friend had won season tickets from the Score and offered me tickets for my birthday to my choice of games. My birthday is August 23rd so I estimated when the Sox would clinch....I was off by one game and my Dad and I watched the Sox lose to the M's the night after the clincher, it was bittersweet watching the Sox clinch from my bedroom knowing if they would have lost, I would have had the chance to see it live. I stll have a vhs copy of the game, I doubt MLB.com has the post game coverage with a drunk Joey Cora waxing poetically about "The Deacon"....The "Good Guys (and Winners) wear Black" video used to be on heavy rotation until 2005, now there are many late nights after the bars where I pop the WS DVD or Sox Pride DVD in and enjoy the memories.

kingpin_rcs
06-26-2007, 05:03 PM
Cool that MLB has this, but I think I'll hold on to my tape of this game, which is complete with the postgame stuff from the clubhouse featuring a completely blitzed Joey Cora making absolutely no sense when he was interviewed live on SportsChannel.

I remember him go on about how "we know we can count - on the deacon!"
Hilarious!

LITTLE NELL
06-26-2007, 05:19 PM
My last Sox game in Chi before retiring to Florida. We sat in row 29 upperdeck which was as high as you could go before the lopping off. Not one fan left as we waited for the Sox to do a victory lap. Great memory.

vegyrex
06-26-2007, 05:33 PM
I was there. Way up in the UD on the third base side.

At first I thought Bo's homer was just a pop up but then it just kept going.

I loved the full page pic of Bo in back of the Sun-Times the next day.

By far the best Sox game I'd ever been to.

tacosalbarojas
06-26-2007, 10:21 PM
I remember him go on about how "we know we can count - on the deacon!"
Hilarious!
More like "deee deecone" but yeah, it was unintentional high comedy at its best.