A friend of mine who is a cubs fan came up with this trade the Sox would send

Buehrle and Dye to the Cubs for Sean Marshall, Felix Pie and Carlos Marmol

Hell ****ing No.

SoxxoS
06-25-2007, 06:01 PM

Maybe Pie and Rich Hill I would do...

And please don't say "The Sox shouldn't help the Northsiders" b/c that is baseball retarded thinking. If the Cubs package is better than any other teams, KW would be foolish not to take it.

The Immigrant
06-25-2007, 06:02 PM
Any day of the week and twice on Sunday. It is not reasonable to expect a more generous package for two three-month rentals, one of whom is gimpy.

Rockabilly
06-25-2007, 06:06 PM
Any day of the week and twice on Sunday. It is not reasonable to expect a more generous package for two three-month rentals, one of whom is gimpy.

I would do the trade with the Cubs but lets say the Cubs sign Buehrle to an extension would you still do it

getonbckthr
06-25-2007, 06:07 PM
I would try to squeeze Macdougal in there as well.

getonbckthr
06-25-2007, 06:07 PM
I would do the trade with the Cubs but lets say the Cubs sign Buehrle to an extension would you still do it
Even better keeps him out of the AL.

jabrch
06-25-2007, 06:20 PM

Who would the Cubs play in CF?

I'd do it in a heartbeat. I doubt the Cubs would.

oeo
06-25-2007, 06:26 PM
Maybe Pie and Rich Hill I would do...

And please don't say "The Sox shouldn't help the Northsiders" b/c that is baseball retarded thinking. If the Cubs package is better than any other teams, KW would be foolish not to take it.

Are you kidding me? Rich Hill is 27 and isn't impressive at all, IMO. You're willing to give up a 28-year-old, proven lefty and Dye for a 27-year-old lefty that hasn't even put together a full season yet and a young prospect with great potential? No thank you, that would be a complete steal by the Flubs.

WhiteSox5187
06-25-2007, 06:26 PM
I'd throw in Mack and Uribe and see if maybe we could get Rich Hill too. Yea, I'd live with that...I'd also tell MB "we're going to try to re-sign you in the offseason" before he left. Try and work out some sort of agreement from keeping him from signing with the Cubs, but the fact that he is a Cards fan might help that.

ilsox7
06-25-2007, 06:41 PM
Are you kidding me? Rich Hill is 27 and isn't impressive at all, IMO. You're willing to give up a 28-year-old, proven lefty and Dye for a 27-year-old lefty that hasn't even put together a full season yet and a young prospect with great potential? No thank you, that would be a complete steal by the Flubs.

Pie and Hill for Mark and JD would be a steal for us, IMO. Hill looks to be a solid mid-rotation pitcher, at least. He is dirt cheap and under control for a few years I believe. Pie also looks to have some serious upside and again is dirt cheap and under control for years. There is no way the Cubs would make that trade.

gr8mexico
06-25-2007, 07:53 PM
The Sox should trade Jose Contreras, Juan Uribe, Javier Vasquez and of course JD. They should get top prospect for Jose and maybe Vasquez because they have contracts after this year. The Sox then bring up Gio Gonzalez and Broadway and sign Mark to a long year contract. Then the sox sign Ichiro next year to play right and maybe use some of the prospects they have to rebuild the team. Move Josh Fields to left field. The sox should consider signing Carlos Zambrano or Mark Buehrle, Carlos Guillen and Ichiro.

TDog
06-25-2007, 08:00 PM

... and this is your brain on drugs.

oeo
06-25-2007, 08:07 PM
Pie and Hill for Mark and JD would be a steal for us, IMO. Hill looks to be a solid mid-rotation pitcher, at least. He is dirt cheap and under control for a few years I believe. Pie also looks to have some serious upside and again is dirt cheap and under control for years. There is no way the Cubs would make that trade.

I don't even think I would trade Buehrle for Hill and Pie, let alone throwing JD in there. I like Pie, but I don't like Hill at all.

I feel we can get a better return for Buehrle from the Red Sox/Mets.

champagne030
06-25-2007, 08:27 PM
I don't even think I would trade Buehrle for Hill and Pie, let alone throwing JD in there. I like Pie, but I don't like Hill at all.

I feel we can get a better return for Buehrle from the Red Sox/Mets.

If you think Buehrle is going to bring a better return than Hill and Pie then there's nothing further to say. :smokin:

PKalltheway
06-25-2007, 09:00 PM
**** no.

roadrunner
06-25-2007, 11:17 PM

I don't see how KW could find a better package than that. I don't know enough about Marshall and Marmol to get all that excited about them but a center fielder of the future type in Pie is a solid centerpiece to any package.

To those that don't think this would be a good trade - take a look at what teams have gotten over the last few years for rent a players. I hate to break this to you - but not one other GM puts any value on whatever sentimental value Sox fans have for their players. If you are expecting more than this package then you are in for a big disappointment.

Chisoxfn
06-26-2007, 12:45 AM

Wow...that would be one of the worse trades in the history of baseball. It would make the Todd Richie trade look brilliant. Hell, that would make the deal the Expos made for Bartolo Colon look smart (they gave up Brandon Phillips, Cliff Lee, and Grady Sizemore).

Just put it this way...those two would command 4 top 2 round draft picks (possibly 2 first rounders and two compensatory picks) and aside from Felix Pie I'd rather have a draft pick than the other guys (and thats not a knock, I don't mind Sean Marshall but I also don't consider him a high upside guy at all).

Put it this way...two upper echelon prospects plus one high risk/high reward prospect or player (Willy Mo Pena or a Gavin Floyd type) is the minimum for Buehrle. Dye would be in a similar shape had he not gotten reinjured, but if he gets healthy and performs I'd still think anything less than two upper echelon prospects would be hard to take (but I'd pull the trigger as long as you got one upper echelon, one good, and one lower level high upside type guy).

And yes, I may over-value guys but I see no reason KW shouldn't/won't get value and if he doesn't, take the draft picks and focus on moving Iguchi, Uribe and Contreras.

jabrch
06-26-2007, 12:50 AM
Wow...that would be one of the worse trades in the history of baseball. It would make the Todd Richie trade look brilliant. Hell, that would make the deal the Expos made for Bartolo Colon look smart (they gave up Brandon Phillips, Cliff Lee, and Grady Sizemore).

Just put it this way...those two would command 4 top 2 round draft picks (possibly 2 first rounders and two compensatory picks) and aside from Felix Pie I'd rather have a draft pick than the other guys (and thats not a knock, I don't mind Sean Marshall but I also don't consider him a high upside guy at all).

Put it this way...two upper echelon prospects plus one high risk/high reward prospect or player (Willy Mo Pena or a Gavin Floyd type) is the minimum for Buehrle. Dye would be in a similar shape had he not gotten reinjured, but if he gets healthy and performs I'd still think anything less than two upper echelon prospects would be hard to take (but I'd pull the trigger as long as you got one upper echelon, one good, and one lower level high upside type guy).

And yes, I may over-value guys but I see no reason KW shouldn't/won't get value and if he doesn't, take the draft picks and focus on moving Iguchi, Uribe and Contreras.

The problem with that is 4 1st rounders (plus our own VERY HIGH PICK) would be very expensive to sign and would have no impact on the team for 2-3 years, at the earliest. Guys like Pie and Marshall would come with no signing bonus cost, and come ready to contribute every day.

What I'd like to do is trade MB to NYM for Gomez/Martinez and Humber/Pelfrey and then move Dye for one good prospect, or hold him and get the draft pick compensation.

ilsox7
06-26-2007, 12:56 AM
If you think Buehrle is going to bring a better return than Hill and Pie then there's nothing further to say. :smokin:

Seriously. Mark is being overvalued by people around these parts, which only means when he gets traded, folks are gonna be pissed at what we get back.

Chisoxfn
06-26-2007, 01:01 AM
The problem with that is 4 1st rounders (plus our own VERY HIGH PICK) would be very expensive to sign and would have no impact on the team for 2-3 years, at the earliest. Guys like Pie and Marshall would come with no signing bonus cost, and come ready to contribute every day.

What I'd like to do is trade MB to NYM for Gomez/Martinez and Humber/Pelfrey and then move Dye for one good prospect, or hold him and get the draft pick compensation.
Ya, I think the best move is to deal them first, however, that package is absolutely terrible.

Pie is a good prospect, but not near as good as the prospects the Mets could offer and highly over-rated (I will get ripped but I think he's no better a spect than Ryan Sweeney, whom I happen to like quite a bit).

Sean Marshall flat out is mediocre and the Sox have enough potential middle of the rotation guys. What the Sox need are young, athletic, and talented position prospects. The best bet is get two upper echelon guys from the Mets, Braves or whoever gets them (hope you can get a couple teams to bid against each other and get one to over-pay, maybe even get super lucky and get a team like the Yanks to drastically overpay and give up Melky Cabrera or Robinson Cano, Kennedy, and Chamberlain).

Than package Dye in a seperate deal or keep him and get the picks (and yes it would cost more, but the Sox are saving so much money that they should be able to kick in a few more million to the draft...heck they did that a few years ago when they took Whisler, Lumsden, Liotta, etc with all those compensation picks).

You than move Contreras to the Mets (who claim they'd give up more for Contreras than they would Buehrle...which gets you one of Milledge or Pelfrey as well as payroll flexibility).

Than take what you can get for Pods, Iguchi, Uribe, and Erstad (and that may be very little...however I still say you could probably get some a level guys that have decent arms but are a few years away and as most people know low level prospects typically have relatively low trade value).

At that point you than try to convince Thome to waive his no trade and swing a deal with the Angels (Thome would get the Angels to give up a couple of there best prospects...probably Brandon Wood who they have soured on a bit) and you let some of these guys play and in the off-season turn some of them into other position players (mixed with the additional money) and try and rebuild in a hurry (knowing you still at least have Garland/Vazquez and hopefully can add a veteran pitcher somewhere else to go with the best of Floyd/Prospect/Danks/Gio etc.

Pie fills a need and would be fine, but the Cubs would have to part with a boatload more talent to come close to the move. Say a deal involving Rich Hill, Felix Pie, and Matt Murton for Buehrle (now you'd have me listening and no I don't think the Cubs make that deal nor do I think they'd go after Dye).

Ya, its a lot of trades and I'm sure all of those don't get dealt but I'd try to get those things done if I were Kenny (knowing that you can spend the off-season trying to straighten out the who plays where part and what holes are open, but use the deadline to at least acquire viable, legitimate major league talent.

Chisoxfn
06-26-2007, 01:02 AM
Seriously. Mark is being overvalued by people around these parts, which only means when he gets traded, folks are gonna be pissed at what we get back.
Let me know the last time a guy like Buehrle was traded. Randy Johnson, Bartolo Colon were the last two guys that would be aces moved at the deadline (Freddy Garcia to a lesser extent) and all involved packages with at least two upper echelon prospects and one very good prospect.

ilsox7
06-26-2007, 01:06 AM
Let me know the last time a guy like Buehrle was traded. Randy Johnson, Bartolo Colon were the last two guys that would be aces moved at the deadline (Freddy Garcia to a lesser extent) and all involved packages with at least two upper echelon prospects and one very good prospect.

Mark is not an ace. But folks around here refuse to believe that. Don't get me wrong, he is a very good pitcher. If Rich Hill and Pie is not enough for folks, then there is going to be major disappointment.

soxfanreggie
06-26-2007, 01:55 AM
It's interesting to speculate trades, but you are never going to know what you're going to get until you find out how desperate a team is. If Cashman figures his job is on the line, you're going to see him giving up more to get a pitcher like MB. You will see some teams mortgage the future to get puzzle pieces. I think we could see 2 or 3 trades (who knows, maybe more), but I don't see over 75% of our roster overturning just like that.

I find it interesting that some people think we will sign all of Ichiro, Zambrano, and other top FAs. I think we're going to see how long-term the rebuilding process is with how many FAs we bring in. Don't expect to see just one huge signing if that's the way they're going to go. I do like the idea to take Crede to arbitration and have him and Fields fight it out for the starting spot.

Bucky F. Dent
06-26-2007, 08:32 AM

NO!

Lukin13
06-26-2007, 08:56 AM
Pretty sure KW would do that deal in a heartbeat...

Pretty sure Hendry wouldn't do that deal in a million years...! You can make a case that you would rather Hill/Pie/Marmol THIS YEAR let alone for 3 or 4 more years on the cheap.

Pretty sure if we were to get 3 young players that have all shown they can play at the major league level (and would immediately play a major role on our squad) in exchange for 10 Buehrle starts and 240 J-Dyzzle ABs..... you should do backflips.

Pretty sure that you folks here have an unsafe mancrush on Mark.

Pretty sure if JD wasn't in a funk/beat up there would be an unsafe mancrush on him as well.

jabrch
06-26-2007, 10:24 AM
You than move Contreras to the Mets (who claim they'd give up more for Contreras than they would Buehrle...which gets you one of Milledge or Pelfrey as well as payroll flexibility).

Chi - I agree with some of what you are saying - I like Pie more than you - but that's preference, I guess. What interests me is this one. If it is true, and I saw what you saw reported, then Kenny should be all over this. Pelfrey, Humber, Martinez or Gomez - give me one of them - and you can have Jose. I'd rather not take Milledge - if we get an OF from them, Martinez or Gomez are much more valuable pieces.

Do you really believe Minaya would rather give up MORE for Contreras than for MB? I don't.

soxwon
06-26-2007, 08:56 PM

In a heartbeat, hell yea.
I hate to say it but PIE is gonna be a Stud.
Marmol throws hard and Marshall has a very good arm.
for 3 months rent-Damn right i would.