PDA

View Full Version : Frank...

Kilroy
04-02-2002, 09:28 AM
Frank seemed to be trying to take the ball out of the park yesterday. Something we've seen him do before with the same results. He'd better get his approach right soon. He needs to be driving the ball up the middle or to the right. He can hit 35 home runs "by accident" when he's swinging right.

duke of dorwood
04-02-2002, 10:02 AM
And he always is changing his stance up there. He is gonna have to go back to the mindset that he is being pitched inside.

doublem23
04-02-2002, 10:15 AM
After the game, Frank said he had some butterflies up there, so I'm not really concerned.

Kilroy
04-02-2002, 10:19 AM
Also, today's papers talk about how he was having some thoughts about his dad who he lost last year. Apparently they always talked on opening day, and this year was the first year that they didn't. So maybe he was trying to hit a home run for his pops.

doublem23
04-02-2002, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy
Also, today's papers talk about how he was having some thoughts about his dad who he lost last year. Apparently they always talked on opening day, and this year was the first year that they didn't. So maybe he was trying to hit a home run for his pops.

Yeah, I'm not really too concerned. I think he's going to need a few games anyway, to get his "for real" swing back.

Id he's still struggling in a few weeks, then there's cause for concern.

duke of dorwood
04-02-2002, 10:23 AM
The announcers made a good point yesterday about his standing pat on inside pitches as being more ready to hit, than the old way he would lift arms out of way to draw a ball from the ump. Hope he continues that.

DonkeyKongerko
04-02-2002, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
The announcers made a good point yesterday about his standing pat on inside pitches as being more ready to hit, than the old way he would lift arms out of way to draw a ball from the ump. Hope he continues that.

i must say during 99 and even parts of 2000 i grew really tired of watching frank bail out on those inside pitches flailing wildly. then he would make it even worse by arguing the inside strike that would be called and have to sit his arse down afterwards and wait another 2-3 innings to get another chance.

this year looks different to me already. he has a more solid approach i think and he will play some 1B also. mentally i also like his new attitude. hawk said something like at 33, frank has an attitude this year that he has never seen before. in interviews, frank's attitude has looked very impressive to me too.

pearso66
04-02-2002, 10:35 AM
frank is someone you just dont worry about, we all know he'll turn around, even if he didnt have an excuse for yesterday, frank always turns it around

OfficerKarkovice
04-02-2002, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by pearso66
frank is someone you just dont worry about, we all know he'll turn around, even if he didnt have an excuse for yesterday, frank always turns it around

Agreed 100%...there are certain people who I have learned not to doubt...MJ coming back to play basketball no one should have doubted him because he is simply MJ...when it comes to Frank and hitting I never worry because he is that good of a hitter that I know that he knows what he is doing and will come around...and by the way I loved the way he was standing right in there when they threw it inside, its almost like he knows they are going to do it and is daring them to throw it in there again...even Hawk and DJ were commenting how confident he looked up there

CubKilla
04-02-2002, 12:40 PM
I'll defer to the stat guys here at WSI, but..... doesn't Frank usually start out kind of slow?

doublem23
04-02-2002, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by CubsF'nBlow
I'll defer to the stat guys here at WSI, but..... doesn't Frank usually start out kind of slow?

I guess....

http://bigleaguers.yahoo.com/mlb/players/4/4527/byst_s.html

Of all the months he's played more than 20 games in, his career average is lowest in March (.306, mind you), but he hits 10 points higher before the All-Star game than after, so I guess, I really didn't answer your question at all.

Where's kermit?

czalgosz
04-02-2002, 01:48 PM
Tonight will be a good indication - Frank has always killed Moyer. If he looks bad against Moyer, there might be a problem.

Foulke You
04-02-2002, 04:23 PM
Frank will be OK. He probably was trying to hit a homer to set the tone for the season and get one for his Dad. It's easy to forget that it has been almost a year since Frank played in a regular season game. Give him a couple days and it'll be like riding a bike for him. Let's also not forget that Seattle has some pretty darn good pitchers and Freddy Garcia is certainly not a pushover. There is no shame in making an out against a 20 win calibur guy like Garcia.

RKMeibalane
04-03-2002, 02:24 PM
Let's remember that the season is two days old. It's way too early to worry about Thomas' numbers. Sure, we'd all love to see him crush one, but let's keep in mind that he missed most of last season, and it may take some time for him to get back to doing the things he was doing in 2000.