PDA

View Full Version : Jose Contreras' future ... as a closer?

ND_Sox_Fan
06-25-2007, 02:41 PM
After watching Jose throw yesterday, I couldn't help but to think that he might have a real future as a closer.

Given the number of different pitches that he throws, the 2-seam fastball, and the forkball as his out-pitch, I think he would be terrific.

Obviously, the Sox don't need him as a closer, but if his number of innings pitched continue to decline, I think he could be a valuable asset in the 9th inning for someone.

That said, I don't know what kind of stamina he would have pitching day-to-day, and how long he takes to get loose.

CashMan
06-25-2007, 02:47 PM
A 64 yr old Closer......YES!

Since we are making random suggestions, mine is: Trade AJ and move Paulie back to Catcher.

balke
06-25-2007, 03:05 PM
I heard Dye is a future all-star 1Bman. Maybe we can put him back at SS and Thome can play 1B next season.

areilly
06-25-2007, 03:09 PM
I heard Dye is a future all-star 1Bman. Maybe we can put him back at SS and Thome can play 1B next season.

Better yet, we move Thome back where started at 3B and move Fields to the bullpen.

TDog
06-25-2007, 04:03 PM
If the Sox had another starter, moving Contreras to the bullpen might be a great move. Unfortunately, the Sox already have one rookie starting and seem to be in a subtraction mode in the starting-pitcher department.

esbrechtel
06-26-2007, 12:46 AM
If the Sox had another starter, moving Contreras to the bullpen might be a great move. Unfortunately, the Sox already have one rookie starting and seem to be in a subtraction mode in the starting-pitcher department.
although it might not be a bad idea for next year...Jose as one of the reliable righties....

Chisoxfn
06-26-2007, 12:48 AM
After watching Jose throw yesterday, I couldn't help but to think that he might have a real future as a closer.

Given the number of different pitches that he throws, the 2-seam fastball, and the forkball as his out-pitch, I think he would be terrific.

Obviously, the Sox don't need him as a closer, but if his number of innings pitched continue to decline, I think he could be a valuable asset in the 9th inning for someone.

That said, I don't know what kind of stamina he would have pitching day-to-day, and how long he takes to get loose.
A closer who makes 10 mill a year is just not a wise idea, plus it would kill his trade value. The Sox need Jose to pitch good up until July 31st so that they can ship him out, get rid of his contract, and free up more money for the off-season where they can hopefully retool a bit and get some athletes on the southside.

ND_Sox_Fan
06-26-2007, 10:35 AM
A closer who makes 10 mill a year is just not a wise idea, plus it would kill his trade value. The Sox need Jose to pitch good up until July 31st so that they can ship him out, get rid of his contract, and free up more money for the off-season where they can hopefully retool a bit and get some athletes on the southside.

I wasn't suggesting that the Sox do it now - I was thinking down the line ... as a way for him to prolong his career after he is done as a starter.

chaerulez
06-26-2007, 12:50 PM

I agree, Contreras is the player I would like to see traded more than anyone. I am tired of his inconsistency and I still question the decision to make him our opening day starter when Burhele and Garland are clearly better pitchers. One could make an argument that even Vazquez is better.

Jurr
06-26-2007, 06:41 PM
Jose is a great pitcher when he's spotting the fastball and he can make his forkball work as the out pitch. When he's actually getting the forkball to hit the lower part of the zone, he's unhittable.

Now, the problem with him is when his control goes to crap, and you are playing with absolute fire if you ask him to come right out the gate in a close game and hope his stuff is on. Too scary, if you ask me.

soxinem1
06-27-2007, 08:55 PM

I agree. I'll carry his bags to the airplane that ships him out.

MRM
06-27-2007, 09:36 PM

A $10mil/yr closer? This is the dumbest thread I've seen in a while.

ND_Sox_Fan
06-27-2007, 10:01 PM
A $10mil/yr closer? This is the dumbest thread I've seen in a while.

Almost every response to my original post has missed my point. I AM NOT SAYING TO MOVE HIM THERE NOW.

I think it would be an interesting spot for him 2-3-4 years down the road; again, NOT NOW!!!

MRM
06-27-2007, 11:11 PM
Almost every response to my original post has missed my point. I AM NOT SAYING TO MOVE HIM THERE NOW.

I think it would be an interesting spot for him 2-3-4 years down the road; again, NOT NOW!!!

He's at least mid-30s now, probably older. He'll be making $10mil in 2 years, too. We are talking about a guy who has reportedly thrown as many as 170 pitches in a game in Cuba. We are NOT...NOT...looking at a future closer, here.

Lets look at the two, TWO, long time starter-turned closer who were successful:

Dennis Eckersly: Not a good starter, found his niche in the bullpen

John Smoltz: Great starter forced to the bullpen by injury/team need.

That's it.

soxinem1
06-28-2007, 06:08 PM
He's at least mid-30s now, probably older. He'll be making $10mil in 2 years, too. We are talking about a guy who has reportedly thrown as many as 170 pitches in a game in Cuba. We are NOT...NOT...looking at a future closer, here.

Lets look at the two, TWO, long time starter-turned closer who were successful:

Dennis Eckersly: Not a good starter, found his niche in the bullpen

John Smoltz: Great starter forced to the bullpen by injury/team need.

That's it.

Eck was pretty good until the year before the switch.......

RowanDye
06-28-2007, 09:26 PM

Jose Contreras is a perennial leader in wild pitches. No thanks.

MISoxfan
06-29-2007, 01:16 AM
How far he's fallen from that seasons worth of games he stretched from the end of '05 to the beginning of '06. For those 30 or so games I don't think there was anyone better.