PDA

View Full Version : Is this season worse than the Corpse Ball years?

Dice
06-25-2007, 01:19 PM
Someone enlighten me???

CLR01
06-25-2007, 01:51 PM
Is there much of a difference?

Dice
06-25-2007, 02:56 PM
At least in the Corpse ball years we would have guys that would hit the occasional solo homer OR hit the 3-run homer when we were down by 10 runs. This year we don't have anyone. Corpse ball had some solid hitters, it's just that they were incapable of moving runners over when we needed it.

eriqjaffe
06-25-2007, 02:59 PM
Corpseball teams were more frustrating, because we knew the talent was there.

This team is just depressing because we know that we've got nothing.

Foulke You
06-25-2007, 04:23 PM
Corpseball teams were more frustrating, because we knew the talent was there.

This team is just depressing because we know that we've got nothing.
I think that about sums up my feelings. 2003 is still one of the most disappointing years for me as a Sox fan. The talent was there to go to the World Series but I felt Manuel prevented it from happening and the team fell just short.

As far as this year, when I look at our lineup and see Luis Terrero, Andy Gonzalez, and Rob Mackowiak, I just don't feel like we have a chance to win out there.:(:

soxinem1
06-25-2007, 04:41 PM
I think that about sums up my feelings. 2003 is still one of the most disappointing years for me as a Sox fan. The talent was there to go to the World Series but I felt Manuel prevented it from happening and the team fell just short.

As far as this year, when I look at our lineup and see Luis Terrero, Andy Gonzalez, and Rob Mackowiak, I just don't feel like we have a chance to win out there.:(:

While I'm not a Manuel disciple, the 2003 White Sox fit the mold of every KW team, except the 2005 team: They were underachievers. You can't blame the manager for everything, sometimes you have to make the players, and those who aquire them, more accountable.

A.T. Money
06-25-2007, 06:43 PM
Just to reiterate what's been said....the Corpseball teams were different than this team. The Corpseball teams had better hitters, but worse pitching.

Corpseball had:

Frank Thomas
Paul Konerko
Magglio Ordonez
Carlos Lee
Joe Crede
Jose Valentin
Aaron Rowand

Buehrle
Garland
Loaiza

2007 has:

Paul Konerko
Jermaine Dye
AJ Pierzynski
Joe Crede
Podsednik
Thome

Buehrle
Garland
Contreras
Vazquez

Our pitching should be better than in 2003, and in 2003, we were definitely scarier 1-9 with that lineup, and of course stunk it up quite a bit. 2003 was tougher to watch for sure offensively. This team just looks overmatched every game.

JGarlandrules20
06-25-2007, 07:02 PM
Corpse ball was like all or nothing offensively speaking.

This team is just like... nothing.

WhiteSox5187
06-25-2007, 07:26 PM
Corpseball had the talent...this year's team had the talent but they've been hurt. An outfield consisting of Mackowiak, Terrero and Pods is not an outfield that is going to the playoffs...unless it is the AAA playoffs.

Railsplitter
06-25-2007, 10:28 PM
At least Manuel never had a sub .500 season, but would win around 85 games.

NSSoxFan
06-25-2007, 10:30 PM

:o:

CLR01
06-25-2007, 10:36 PM

I guess if you leave out '98 & '99.

California Sox
06-25-2007, 11:16 PM
This part of the season is the worst-looking Sox team I have seen since I was a kid. The Corpseball teams would've killed this squad. Jose, for one, really knew how to kick a team when it was down. Plus, the real weakness of those teams was fifth starter and the current team doesn't hit anybody.

Procol Harum
06-26-2007, 10:46 AM
The Corpseball era was certainly more frustrating due to the fact that we had not yet been to the mountaintop. The '03 team, for example, was fairly good but had the shortcomings others have noted above and just couldn't get it done.

The '07 Sox, on the other hand--while stunning in the sense of the rapidity of their decline from WS champs less than two years ago--is just plain awful--a weak bench, a bullpen that hasn't panned out, injuries, and an unprecedented decline at the plate. This reminds me more of the utterly pathetic '69-'70 Sox of my youth--there's an edge to the badness here that's almost comedic.

Foulke You
06-26-2007, 12:56 PM
In defense of the '07 team vs. '02 or '03, the '07 team has dealt with a TON of injuries that the Manuel teams never really had to deal with:

Jim Thome- (playing thru bad back, missed 2 weeks with rib injury)
Jermaine Dye- (played thru bad knee, strained quad)
Darin Erstad- (sprained ankle- will miss at least a month when it is all said and done)
Scott Podsednik- (out since April with abductor strain, just recently returned)
Pablo Ozuna- (likely out til at least August)
Duane Day- (back injury)
Tadahito Iguchi- (strained index finger since Spring Training, an argument for his shrinking offensive production)
Alex Cintron- (elbow surgery in the offseason has left it sore, no bat speed anymore and can barely make a strong throw to 1B from SS.)

If the '03 team suffered injuries to Frank, Maggs, Valentin, Rowand, etc. they probably would have been under .500 as well. Of course, not as far under as our team because the '03 bunch had a bullpen while the '07 team does not.

vegyrex
06-26-2007, 02:03 PM
The frustration of still not having won a WS made the corpse ball era worse. Back then the Sox were also still hurting over the strike in '94 and the white flag trades, plus bad attendance.

This time around we, or at least me, our still basking in the after glow of a world championship. At least for the moment. The sting of this year's failure doesn't hurt as much as it did back in the corpse ball era.

ode to veeck
06-26-2007, 02:07 PM
Is there much of a difference?

and who cares anyway!?!? Let's go SOX!

soxinem1
06-26-2007, 03:30 PM
In defense of the '07 team vs. '02 or '03, the '07 team has dealt with a TON of injuries that the Manuel teams never really had to deal with:

Jim Thome- (playing thru bad back, missed 2 weeks with rib injury)
Jermaine Dye- (played thru bad knee, strained quad)
Darin Erstad- (sprained ankle- will miss at least a month when it is all said and done)
Scott Podsednik- (out since April with abductor strain, just recently returned)
Pablo Ozuna- (likely out til at least August)
Duane Day- (back injury)
Tadahito Iguchi- (strained index finger since Spring Training, an argument for his shrinking offensive production)
Alex Cintron- (elbow surgery in the offseason has left it sore, no bat speed anymore and can barely make a strong throw to 1B from SS.)

If the '03 team suffered injuries to Frank, Maggs, Valentin, Rowand, etc. they probably would have been under .500 as well. Of course, not as far under as our team because the '03 bunch had a bullpen while the '07 team does not.

How about the 2001 team? Frank, Herb Perry, Valentin, Barcelo, Wunsch, Parque, Baldwin, David Wells, Eldred, Alomar, Osuna? Ton of injuries defending a title. And they still won 83 games with Manuel as the manager.

Konerko's vacation from hitting most of 2003 didn't help, as did the totally inept fifth starters the Sox had for most of JM's tenure.

While Ozzie deserves credit for 2005, all of his other teams have been underachievers, injuries or not.

eriqjaffe
06-26-2007, 04:02 PM
Duane Day- (back injury)Is he Dewon Day's brother? :tongue: