PDA

View Full Version : next up from ESPN: The Bronx Is Burning

Fenway
06-25-2007, 09:45 AM
This is either going to be very good or very bad

ESPN mini-series to study wild Yankees ride and more (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070620&content_id=2038934&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb&partnered=rss_mlb)

I was at the game at Fenway when Reggie Jackson and Billy Martin went at it. That was a crazy weekend as the night before Boston had hit 4 homers off Catfish Hunter in the first inning.

One thing I also recall vividly. New York City was a very dangerous city in 1977. The subway was in shambles, it was dangerous to be walking in Manhattan after dark and the city was just falling apart.

Fenway
06-26-2007, 11:27 AM
Daily News has just put up a special section

http://www.nydailynews.com/features/bronxisburning/yankees/index.html

rdivaldi
06-27-2007, 01:28 AM

Wonderful, just what the world needs. Another mini-series or movie glorifying the Yankees. I for one will be missing this can't miss event.

Fenway
07-10-2007, 09:12 AM
Wonderful, just what the world needs. Another mini-series or movie glorifying the Yankees. I for one will be missing this can't miss event.

Wow did last night bring back memories...most of them bad :whiner:

The Northeast was a cesspool 30 years ago ( Boston was just as bad ) and that was part of the reason I relocated to Chicago.

This is when the Red Sox-Yankees insanity started. Cable TV had just started up and one of the selling points was Boston getting WPIX and New York getting WSBK ( featuring Dick Stockton and some guy named Hawk )

Martin was hired in midseason of 75 after Boston beat the Yankees in a Sunday DH at Shea (yes Shea)....and then they had the tong wars of 77 and 78.

Make no mistake about one thing, Reggie Jackson was the reason the Yankees won both of those years. He hit a walk off homer at the Stadium in late 77 off Reggie Cleveland that sealed the division and the following year it was Jackson NOT Bucky Dent that won the playoff game.

ESPN usually screws these things up but looking at the first hour they getting this one right.

Fenway
07-10-2007, 10:34 AM
and for those that missed it, you can watch the entire episode online

http://www.bronxisburning.com/ (http://www.bronxisburning.com/)

Viva Medias B's
07-10-2007, 10:38 AM
I just cannot buy George being played by Oliver Platt.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-10-2007, 11:08 AM
It's somewhat interesting, but at the same time, I'd rather watch Turturro in Rounders and the guy playing Reggie Jackson as Franco in Rescue Me.

I can afford to miss this mini series.

HotelWhiteSox
07-10-2007, 12:46 PM

Yeah, that was bad. A lot of the acting was

kittle42
07-10-2007, 01:39 PM

He's very versatile, having played a pro wrestling champion in Ready to Rumble. :cool:

jdm2662
07-10-2007, 02:01 PM
One thing I also recall vividly. New York City was a very dangerous city in 1977. The subway was in shambles, it was dangerous to be walking in Manhattan after dark and the city was just falling apart.

Didn't George himself people won't come to Yankee Stadium because the Bronx was such a ****hole? (I'm pretty sure the teams he fielded in the late 80s, early 90s didn't help...)

Fenway
07-10-2007, 02:21 PM
Didn't George himself people won't come to Yankee Stadium because the Bronx was such a ****hole? (I'm pretty sure the teams he fielded in the late 80s, early 90s didn't help...)

That is when he was dancing with The Meadowlands...

A friend of mine drove to the Stadium for a game in 1977 and parked it in a Yankees garage. When he came out the car had been stripped completly.

I am sure the Massachusetts plates didn't help...

Then Son of Sam had the city in a complete lockdown mode. He was shooting people in Forest Hills which is one of the best areas of Queens.

mark2olson
07-10-2007, 02:43 PM

I watched portions of the Worldwide Leader's "epic" production detailing the Pete Rose scandal. IMO, it was poorly produced and poorly acted; I'll pass on their latest effort. The article in the NY Daily News, however, that you referenced, is well-written.

Fenway
07-10-2007, 02:59 PM
I watched portions of the Worldwide Leader's "epic" production detailing the Pete Rose scandal. IMO, it was poorly produced and poorly acted; I'll pass on their latest effort. The article in the NY Daily News, however, that you referenced, is well-written.

New York was anything but fun city in 1977.

The Boston-NYY wars of 77-78 still rank to me as the best 2 seasons of all time. Not only did the fans hate each other but the players hated each other.

In 1978 the Yankees were saved by of all things a newpaper strike that lasted most of the summer. not one paper..ALL OF THEM. Without the backpages of the tabloids stirring things up NYY just started to play great baseball.

Law11
07-11-2007, 09:41 AM

Thank you.. I'd rather have the guy we never saw on seinfeld..

wolcott10
07-11-2007, 03:07 PM
Did Jason Giambi make a guest appearance on the first show, playing a cabdriver?

Fenway
07-11-2007, 03:11 PM
Did Jason Giambi make a guest appearance on the first show, playing a cabdriver?

sure did He welcomed Reggie to town :lol:

chaerulez
07-11-2007, 03:37 PM

Hopefully in 20 years someone makes a movie about Giambi and his role in illegal steroid abuse.

Frontman
07-11-2007, 11:17 PM
Just watched the re-broadcast. Not a bad show. Not great, but I'm interested in following it. (I would of watched it Monday, but the non-home run home run derby went long.)

chitownhawkfan
07-11-2007, 11:40 PM
Was Brian Dennehy unavailable for another Bob Knight movie? I didn't think the programming at ESPN could get worse but they just keep on surprising us.

pagansoxfan
07-11-2007, 11:44 PM
you know they'll make a "playmakers" type show based on 2 eastern seaboard teams at some point.

MUsoxfan
07-12-2007, 01:06 AM
I just caught a replay. It wasn't bad. I just don't like how they're forcing the Son of Sam thing into the storyline. There's no natural ease between the Yanks and serial killers.

Fenway
07-12-2007, 09:56 AM
I just caught a replay. It wasn't bad. I just don't like how they're forcing the Son of Sam thing into the storyline. There's no natural ease between the Yanks and serial killers.

It is a very important part of the story in that summer when New York was just falling apart as a city.

Frontman
07-12-2007, 10:13 AM

I agree that obviously, this was a part of the history happening at the time, but how ESPN has presented it so far? It just doesn't fit with the rest of the story at this point.

southside rocks
07-12-2007, 10:16 AM
I agree that obviously, this was a part of the history happening at the time, but how ESPN has presented it so far? It just doesn't fit with the rest of the story at this point.

Here, The Dugout clarified that point for me:
http://dugout.progressiveboink.com/archive/jon128.html

:D:

Irishsox1
07-12-2007, 03:07 PM
I think there is a market for these sports movies ESPN are making. The 1977 New York/Yankees/Berkowitz story is interesting, but wouldn't make that interesting of a feature film to be seen in the theaters. I like the Bannister 4 minute movie, the Earnhardt movie, the Army football cheating movie and the 61* HBO movie. They're cheap looking and the acting isn't awesome, but they're interesting sports stories.

One of my favorite sports movies I saw when I was a kid was One on One with Robbie Benson. Nothing says 70's basketball with a little bit of Seals and Crofts.