PDA

View Full Version : Ok, its Monday morning, tell us your "eating crow" stories

nsolo
06-25-2007, 09:15 AM
I'll start. The worst ribbing I got was from a guy whom last year I sent a White Sox pacifier to his newborn grandbaby. With it a card where I stated that I was only trying to save the kid from the dark side. Today,he showed up with a Dark Vader mask, wearing a flubs cap asking me "who's your Daddy?".

Pray for me.:(:

DumpJerry
06-25-2007, 09:38 AM
I don't see what we're ashamed of.

The White Sox team ERA improved this weekend.

The Cubs still suck.

veeter
06-25-2007, 09:45 AM
I simply tell any and all cub fans that, yes we're struggling. But we will re-group and win another championship before you win anything. This is Kenny's 'Season on the Brink'. I'm confident he will rebound just as the Bobby Knight did.

kaufsox
06-25-2007, 10:25 AM
As far as this year goes, I'm pretty lucky. I didn't do any pre-series chirping because the Sox look so woeful right now. Of course I still owe my friend $20 for placing my bet on the Sox to win the World Series. He's a Cubs fan and will enjoy taking my money.:rolleyes:

infohawk
06-25-2007, 10:25 AM
I got an e-mail this morning from a friend who's a huge Cub fan talking about breaking out the brooms. He's a realist though (doesn't drink the Kool-Aid), and said that he still doesn't think the Cubs are good, but that the White Sox may just be that bad. I tend to agree with him on both counts! He said he also enjoyed listening to Hawk acting like a "hineybird."

Palehose Pete
06-25-2007, 11:33 AM
I have to admit that the Cubs fan who put on a Vader mask and Cubs hat was pretty creative, funny even. Then again, it didn't happen to me, so what do I know? I escaped Chicago by driving to Green Bay, WI for work this week. I alternated between listening to 670 AM and XM's HomePlate. By the time I reached GB, 670 was a distant and faint buzz on the radio. I am looking forward to the peace and quiet this week, and just listening to the Sox on XM.

Good luck to the rest of you and God speed. It won't be this bad forever and like someone said earlier, the Sox pitching actually got better this weekend. Maybe the offense will come around, too, and they can make a decent showing this season.

Edward
06-25-2007, 11:53 AM
I lost a case of beer and a White Castle trip to one of my friends, and a case plus an expensive bottle and dinner to the sister-in-law. :angry::angry::angry::angry:

Oh well.

Kwrubac
06-25-2007, 11:54 AM
the guy in the office next to mine is a huge cubs fan....He's a good guy, but i come in today and see whats out in front of his office door...First he has a broom, and then he has the sox logo on the ground scattered like garbage, he has a cub shirt hanging from the broom. On his door, he has multiple Cubs logo's and the W flag along with the Wrigley Field marquee saying Cubs Win....But it does not end there!! He has a picture of two Cub players celebrating and he made the caption...WHOOP there is it is...Lastly, and probably the most embarassing thing...He has the Sox logo and the caption below it says couldn't put it on the boards YESSSSSSSSS....argh...:?:

chisoxfanatic
06-25-2007, 11:54 AM
As far as this year goes, I'm pretty lucky. I didn't do any pre-series chirping because the Sox look so woeful right now. Of course I still owe my friend $20 for placing my bet on the Sox to win the World Series. He's a Cubs fan and will enjoy taking my money.:rolleyes:
I'm with you on that. I NEVER do any chirping until AFTER the matter. It's kept me from ever having to eat crow. Although, it's great that the only Cub fan I consistently got into it with at work is now retired!

Foulke You
06-25-2007, 11:56 AM
I sent a pre-emptive email to my Cub fan co-workers basically proclaiming the '07 Sox dead and congratulating them on the sweep. I try to be classier about it. However, I did get a quick "1908" reference into the email. :cool:

whitesoxwilkes
06-25-2007, 12:04 PM
I had a broom sitting on my desk chair...and I'm out 50 bucks.

Kwrubac
06-25-2007, 12:09 PM
I had a broom sitting on my desk chair...and I'm out 50 bucks.

MERCY! thats rough...I'm glad I locked my office Friday I can only imagine what would have been all over the place and on my Sox stuff...

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-25-2007, 12:18 PM
Someone asked me if we needed pallbearers for the White Sox. I laughed....but told them come October 1, their team will be fighting for tee times with my team. For some reason, they all shut up.

tony1972
06-25-2007, 12:29 PM
Cubs fans haven't been too bad this year (with the Sox losing)..maybe because they are under .500..

Anyway..I agree that if you can dish it out (like I did in 2005) you should be able to eat crow....

Both fans of both teams can be obnoxious when one is up and one is down...I try to take it lightly and not too seriously (there's way more important things in life to get upset about)...:wink:

vegyrex
06-25-2007, 12:38 PM
This lady who I see during my walks is a cubs fan and she's seen me in my Sox gear before. She's been nice, even wished the Sox well in the WS. Today she sees me and asks "What happen to the Sox?"

I had no answer. :whiner:

soxinem1
06-25-2007, 12:43 PM
When I entered my office this morning I found a broom on my desk with a news headline attached to it.

I promptly deposit ed this bromm in the only place appropriate: the trash can.

I then asked who I suspected what it felt like to witness his favorite team win a World Series in his life time.

He still has not answered.

Foulke You
06-25-2007, 12:49 PM
Cub fans fail to realize the Chicago baseball war was won on October 26th, 2005. They have mental blockage that prevents them from remembering the event. I try to remind them as much as possible. No matter how bad the '07 Sox are, you can't take away what this team accomplished for the city in 2005.

ws05champs
06-25-2007, 01:06 PM
My attitude is "So what?" They beat a team that more resembles a cactus league split squad than a major league team.

eriqjaffe
06-25-2007, 03:03 PM
Fortunately, people around here know better than to push the MIS department too much. ;)

miker
06-25-2007, 05:35 PM
Oh, I thought this thread was about the singer/nutjob that Larry David's ex is hanging around with!

As for the Cub fans...they can talk to me when their team wins a World Series.

pdimas
06-25-2007, 05:39 PM
A few buddies and me were sitting on the curb having a postgame brew while waiting for traffic to die down when a cubs fan with a broom walks by giving us crap and making fun of our mullet night. His Sox fan girlfriend turned to us as soon as he was done and said don't worry boys he's not getting sex for 6 months. We broke out into laughter and he just sulked. :smile:

getonbckthr
06-25-2007, 05:41 PM
My co-workers know I take the Sox hard so they decided not to bring anything up.

seventyseven
06-25-2007, 05:50 PM
"What happen to the Sox?"

El nino. :)

Frontman
06-25-2007, 06:04 PM
To my sincere Cub fan friends, who patted me on the back when the Sox won it all in 2005, I said "The Cubs did a good job this weekend. Now they need to go win the flamin' title," and we all laughed.

To the jerky (and that is being polite) Cubs fans who were celebrating like they did win the title, I pointed out I have some great color photos of the 2005 championship season, I can bring them tomorrow if they'd like. I then pointed out color film hadn't been invented yet the last time the Cubs did anything.

The jerkys then left me alone after that.

:wink:

MDF3530
06-25-2007, 06:09 PM
I believe in karma, so I didn't have to eat crow because I didn't do any crowing.

cbotnyse
06-25-2007, 06:14 PM
Thank God I work with all Sox fans in my group. Needless to say, we didn't even mention the weekend.

tick53
06-25-2007, 06:38 PM
Actually, not too many people rubbed my nose in it. I got some sympathy and some teasing too. What are you gonna do?

tick53
06-25-2007, 06:41 PM
Thank God I work with all Sox fans in my group. Needless to say, we didn't even mention the weekend.

You're a lucky man. Our office is 20% Sox, 75% Cubs and 5% baseball haters.

hose
06-25-2007, 06:53 PM
Ever since the Sox won the WS nobody really talks smack about either team.

PKalltheway
06-25-2007, 08:56 PM
My Dad razzed me a bit by telling me that they were going to fire Ozzie Guillen, but other than that, he just laughed at the fact that the Sox couldn't beat the Cubs.

Hitmen77
06-25-2007, 09:10 PM

I agree. Since the Sox are only 20 months away from the title - Cub fans I know aren't able to gloat nearly as much as they may have pre-2005.

johnr1note
06-25-2007, 09:53 PM
I was at the Friday game with my kids, sitting in the bleachers. I was about an aisle away from Soriano's lead off homerun. Some idiot Sox fan caught it and threw it back.

I have not been to a Cubs/Sox game in person in many years, and I was shocked at the boorish, over the top drunken display a lot of the Cubs fans put on for my kids. I know Sox fans can be rowdy and out of control -- but this was just crass. I was embarrassed for them.

The topper was on the way out of the park. Jammed together, shoulder to shoulder, the crowd edged toward the exits slowly. A very tall, heavy set, and extremely inebriated Cubs fan right behind me started poking me in the back. I was wearing my World Series jersey. He started pushing me, yelling at the top of his lungs "2005 was a f***ing fluke" over and over. I started to fear he was going to go at it with me, when my 17 year old daughter turned to him and replied "But 100 years of losing is no fluke."

He shut up after that.

26th & Princeton
06-25-2007, 10:13 PM
Had a obnoxious Flubs fan giving me the business for a few minutes when I went to her checking station. Finally, she pointed to the broom and said: "See that?"
I replied in the affirmative and said: " Let me guess: YOUR new ride?" :smile:

Grzegorz
06-25-2007, 10:17 PM
Had a obnoxious Flubs fan giving me the business for a few minutes when I went to her checking station. Finally, she pointed to the broom and said: "See that?"
I replied in the affirmative and said: " Let me guess: YOUR new ride?" :smile:

That's good!!!

I just reply "Don't worry, after all they're the Cubs".

kitekrazy
06-25-2007, 10:20 PM

Yeah I doubt there's a Cub fan alive from their last World Series.

IlliniSox4Life
06-26-2007, 03:28 AM
Luckily for me I'm not working right now (there's at least some positive in it).

DumpJerry
06-26-2007, 08:20 AM
Come on people, never give ground and don't think like a victim!

When Mr. Cub Season Ticket holder arrived at the office Monday, I came up to him and before he could say anything I told him that the team ERA for the Sox improved over the weekend playing the Cubs, so his team has some serious problems which need to be addressed.

He agreed.

soxinthecity
06-26-2007, 08:56 AM
I simply reply,

Any team can have a bad year, but it takes a real s*#ty team to have a bad century.

WikdChiSoxFan
06-26-2007, 08:56 AM
Hehe, funny thread... most everyone knows I'm the world's biggest sox fan (you know it too) well, at my office anyway. I sit on the aisle next to the men's restroom (the man is trying to keep us sox fan's down i tell ya)... so my stories as such... had a nice jpeg of a broom in my inbox when i came to work, was sent a pathetic joke/link... LLL.whitesox.com, probably spoke to at least 15 people about how bad we're doing right now, then made a phone call to my friend in IT, and he gave me about a 5 minute speach on how bad the sox are, sounded like he was really pissed... then said, "well, I have to get it in where I can"... we had a good laugh.

no shame though, so what if we're not doing well this year, we've lived through it before.

EDIT: well, apparently i wasn't done... HR director came over to say... "I thought I'd give you a day to recover, how you doin?" This lady just pisses me off, I think her job is to walk around and chit chat with people. She's one of those 40 yr olds that thinks she's 25. yargh.

SOX LA Mikey
06-26-2007, 11:41 PM
EDIT: well, apparently i wasn't done... HR director came over to say... "I thought I'd give you a day to recover, how you doin?" This lady just pisses me off, I think her job is to walk around and chit chat with people. She's one of those 40 yr olds that thinks she's 25. yargh.[/quote]

"Sounds like someone's got a case of the Mondays"

DumpJerry
06-26-2007, 11:44 PM
I simply reply,

Any team can have a bad year, but it takes a real s*#ty team to have a bad century.
While I agree with your sentiments, I have to give you a week off for evading the language filter. Just type the word, the filter will do its thing.

miker
06-27-2007, 08:16 PM
A very tall, heavy set, and extremely inebriated Cubs fan right behind me started poking me in the back. I was wearing my World Series jersey. He started pushing me, yelling at the top of his lungs "2005 was a f***ing fluke" over and over. I started to fear he was going to go at it with me, when my 17 year old daughter turned to him and replied "But 100 years of losing is no fluke."

He shut up after that.
I love parents that know how to raise their children...

Jose.Contreras
06-27-2007, 10:48 PM
This whole thing is very simple. I don't care how bad we are and I do not care about the fact that the cubs swept us this past weekend. WE OWN THEM IN LIFE! We have the World Series title from '05. We went 11-1 in the playoffs and swept our opponent in the WORLD FRIGGIN' SERIES! I don't care if iout championship ends up being a one year wonder when comparing it to the Cubs. Compare that one title to the pathetic Cubs franchise and the zero titles in 99 years and counting. The Cubs most recent playoff appearance was 2003 and they had arguably the biggest choke of all-time. 3-1 lead and a 3-2 lead coming home with the "aces" on the mound? A 3-0 lead in the 8th innning....5 out from getting to their first world series since 1945. And then ending the 8th down 8-3. 8 runs by FLORIDA in the 8th....Bartman fiasco.....Prior meltdown...CUB MELTDOWN!!! I am wearing my 2003 Florida Marlins NL champs shirt as I type this. No joke. Goddamn that fun fun. Wow, I am rambling but..... I mean it..... was flippin' Brillant!

WE OWN THEM. We can prove heir overall inferiority to us. ThE Chicago Cubs are THE most recognizable loser franchise IN ALL OF SPORTS....IN THE ENTIRE WORLD! To all non-Cub fans they are a complete and uetter joke. The Cubs haven't been in the World Series since the WW II era and haven't won it since 1908!! They are still 2 games under .500 AFTER winning 6 straight against 2 poor teams (we're included). The Cubs aren't getting in the post-season, relax. This is nothing. And They got nothing on us.

So politley remind all Cub fans of these facts. It proves that we are better than them at life. You can't argue with facts, folks. We, the White Sox, and their fans are superior to Cubs and their fans.

As for me personally......

No Cubs fans at my office seem to say anything much to me because I have made it clear to them that I own them and they'll never be able to have anything on me as a Sox fan. In the few occasions that I have ever gotten into a Sox/Cubs "argument" (aka.... bloodbath in my favor) since we won the World Series, I have made all Cub fans feel stupid, embarrassed about thier life and sometimes even suicidal....and rightfully so. A couple times this week thus far I have received a brief look. Ya know, the kind of look where you can tell they are thinking about saying something about this past weekend's sweep. But in .5 of a second I squash that silly little grin on their pathetic faces. All I have to do is glance at them with an auroa of superiority. Because we, as White Sox fans, simply own them.

So no, the office hasn't been unpleasent for me at all.

chisoxfanatic
06-27-2007, 11:12 PM
This whole thing is very simple. I don't care how bad we are and I do not care about the fact that the cubs swept us this past weekend. We OWN THEM IN LIFE! We have the World Series title from '05. We went 11-1 in the playoffs and swept our opponent in the WORLD FRIGGIN' SERIES! I don't care if iout championship ends up being a one year wonder when comparing it to the Cubs. Compare that one title to the pathetic Cubs franchise and the zero titles in 99 years and counting. The Cubs most recent playoff appearance was 2003 and they had arguably the biggest choke of all-time. 3-1 lead and a 3-2 lead coming home with the "aces" on the mound? A 3-0 lead in the 8th innning....5 out from getting to their first world series since 1945. And then ending the 8th down 8-3. 8 runs by FLORIDA in the 8th....Bartman fiasco.....Prior meltdown...CUB MELTDOWN!!! I am wearing my 20023 Florida Marlins NL champs shirt as I type this. No joke. Goddamn that fun fun. Wow, I am rambling but..... I mean it..... was flippin' Brillant!

WE OWN THEM. We can prove heir overall inferiority to us. ThE Chicago Cubs are THE most recognizable loser franchise IN ALL OF SPORTS....IN THE ENTIRE WORLD! To all non-Cub fans they are a complete and uetter joke. The Cubs haven't been in the World Series since the WW II era and haven't won it since 1908!! They are still 2 games under .500 AFTER winning 6 straight against 2 poor teams (we're included). The Cubs aren't getting in the post-season, relax. This is nothing. And They got nothing on us.

So politley remind all Cub fans of these facts. It proves that we are better than them at life. You can't argue with facts, folks. We, the White Sox, and their fans are superior to Cubs and their fans.

No Cubs fans at my office seem to say anything much to me because I have made it clear to them that I own them and they'll never be able to have anything on me as a Sox fan. In the few occasions that I have ever gotten into a Sox/Cubs "argument" (aka.... bloodbath in my favor) since we won the World Series, I have made all Cub fans feel stupid, embarrassed about thier life and sometimes even suicidal....and rightfully so. A couple times this week thus far I have received a brief look. Ya know, the kind of look where you can tell they are thinking about saying something about this past weekend's sweep. But in .5 of a second I squash that silly little grin on their pathetic faces. All I have to do is glance at them with an auroa of superiority. Because we, as White Sox fans, simply own them.

My GOD, you're giving DA REVERAND a run for his money!!!

Demafrost
06-28-2007, 10:00 AM
This whole thing is very simple. I don't care how bad we are and I do not care about the fact that the cubs swept us this past weekend. WE OWN THEM IN LIFE! We have the World Series title from '05. We went 11-1 in the playoffs and swept our opponent in the WORLD FRIGGIN' SERIES! I don't care if iout championship ends up being a one year wonder when comparing it to the Cubs. Compare that one title to the pathetic Cubs franchise and the zero titles in 99 years and counting. The Cubs most recent playoff appearance was 2003 and they had arguably the biggest choke of all-time. 3-1 lead and a 3-2 lead coming home with the "aces" on the mound? A 3-0 lead in the 8th innning....5 out from getting to their first world series since 1945. And then ending the 8th down 8-3. 8 runs by FLORIDA in the 8th....Bartman fiasco.....Prior meltdown...CUB MELTDOWN!!! I am wearing my 2003 Florida Marlins NL champs shirt as I type this. No joke. Goddamn that fun fun. Wow, I am rambling but..... I mean it..... was flippin' Brillant!

Wow interesting post. I don't necessarily agree that Sox fans are better than Cubs fans at life, they just tend to make better choices in their fandoms. Remember that Cubs fans are also Bears and Bulls fans, so at least they have 2/3rds of it correct.

Jose.Contreras
06-28-2007, 12:34 PM
Wow interesting post. I don't necessarily agree that Sox fans are better than Cubs fans at life, they just tend to make better choices in their fandoms. Remember that Cubs fans are also Bears and Bulls fans, so at least they have 2/3rds of it correct.

Exactly. That's the scary part. They share our fandom with Bulls/Bears. But what I say....is just focused on Cubs/Sox. It's a bit blown out of proportion. But I think you know what I mean : )

chisoxfanatic
06-28-2007, 02:15 PM
My god, don't you forget about the BLACKHAWKS!!! :angry:

That makes it 3/4ths correct.