PDA

View Full Version : Theories on What's Ailing our Batters

kevin57
06-24-2007, 11:10 PM
Okay, we've all seen it; we've all lamented it. Our batters...not one or two...not even most...basically all of them SUCK and have all season long.

I don't hear our venerable coaches or players offering any analysis of mechanical problems, etc.

Would anyone care to explain how so many batters with prouven track records could all go so bad for so long? I don't get it. :?:

itsnotrequired
06-24-2007, 11:12 PM
Glasses. They all need new glasses. Who's up for a team field trip to Lens Crafters?

ilsox7
06-24-2007, 11:15 PM
Glasses. They all need new glasses. Who's up for a team field trip to Lens Crafters?

I prefer See. Much better than Lens Crafters, except they will not improve their hitting in less than an hour.

eriqjaffe
06-24-2007, 11:22 PM
They've all stopped using 'roids.

Parrothead
06-24-2007, 11:27 PM
They are all too busy tending to off-field night time activities and not working hard.

soltrain21
06-24-2007, 11:29 PM
Chick Scoping Bench.

Lorenzo Barcelo
06-24-2007, 11:29 PM
Ozzie has created a negative aura in the clubhouse IMO.

Huisj
06-24-2007, 11:42 PM
On a more serious note, I kept hearing Joe Morgan mention tonight during the ESPN game how baseball is a game of adjustments. In particular he was talking about how the hitters on the Tigers learn from previous at bats during the game and seem to come up to the plate with a good game plan and adjust to the pitch and to the pitcher.

Now, I know a lot of people aren't big fans of Morgan, but still, it was interesting to hear, especially as the Tigers were in the middle of stringing together a bunch of hits and runs in one innings after being held scoreless for 4 or 5 innings up to that point.

Sox hitters don't seem capable of making adjustments. They keep going up and swinging at the same bad pitches time and time again. They seem to have no game plan at the plate. On the one hand, they act aggressive by swinging at lots of pitches, but then at the same time, they look like they don't care because lots of those swings are just pathetic half-hearted hacks. They are aggressive, but they have no aggression, and they also seem to have no brains.

Hitmen77
06-24-2007, 11:43 PM
Everyone is to blame except for Greg Walker.

FireMariotti
06-24-2007, 11:47 PM
Ozzie has created a negative aura in the clubhouse IMO.

Based on what? Have you been in the clubhouse to know for sure?

On the long list of problems this team has, Ozzie ranks towards the bottom IMO.

A. Cavatica
06-24-2007, 11:47 PM
I'd say they were all trying to hit the way their manager hit, except they're not even doing that...

slobes
06-24-2007, 11:54 PM

Worked for Horace Grant. Who knows, it could work for the Sox too.

Noneck
06-25-2007, 12:04 AM
Ailing batters? Who? Paulie? Just time for another 1st half funk. J.D.? Injured again as he has been for most of his career and father time knocking at his door.. Thome? We all get old. Gooch? Not much of a track record, maybe What ya see now is what ya get. Uribe? The Rockies said work ethic problems and was obtained as a backup, What ya see is what ya get. A.J.? On track to match 05 stats. Crede, Pod, Erstad? Chronically ill. Ozuna, Mack, Cintron, Hall? Backup players and having hitting problems is why they have been backup players. The rest? Minor leaguers playing where they don't belong.

Bottom line is, What you see is what you get.

MetroPD
06-25-2007, 12:06 AM
Its not our batters, we're just facing quality pitching every night.....

Lip Man 1
06-25-2007, 12:08 AM
Aliens!

Lip

CLR01
06-25-2007, 12:17 AM
I think it is pretty clear what the problem is. Since he was first called up the Sox have gone 120-102 with him on the active roster and 17-31 with him off it. They just miss Satan. It shouldn't surprise anyone that the clubhouse drunk kept things loose.

DumpJerry
06-25-2007, 12:32 AM
They now realize that Sox management was serious when they were told last year no more Slip 'N Slide.

It's just not fun around here any more.

CLR01
06-25-2007, 12:36 AM

So you have been in there to know he ranks near the bottom?

Iwritecode
06-25-2007, 12:41 AM
So you have been in there to know he ranks near the bottom?

I don't think you really need to be in the clubhouse to realize it's not Ozzie that's going up to the plate and not getting a hit or scoring a run and that it's not Ozzie that's coming in from the bullpen to immediately give up a ton of runs...

spiffie
06-25-2007, 12:41 AM
They all got soft once the rule stopped being "Win or Die Trying."

Lorenzo Barcelo
06-25-2007, 12:48 AM

PODS said the clubhouse was dead as soon as he arrived. Obviously its because they are losing, but still the way he is handling the losing with the media is not the way to do it. Telling the papers that the players should be embarrassed of themselves is not the route to do so. You do that behind closed doors.

CLR01
06-25-2007, 12:51 AM
I don't think you really need to be in the clubhouse to realize it's not Ozzie that's going up to the plate and not getting a hit or scoring a run and that it's not Ozzie that's coming in from the bullpen to immediately give up a ton of runs...

And that has what to do with whether or not Ozzie has created a "negative aura" in the clubhouse? Or whether one poster should be able to dismiss another posters theory about what is wrong with the team because the poster is not "in the clubhouse to know" while simultaneously commenting that the complete opposite is true even though he himself has never been in said clubhouse either?

Nellie_Fox
06-25-2007, 01:51 AM
It's the green seats. Things started to go bad when they began replacing the blue seats, and the more they got replaced, the worse things got.

Fire the green seats!

Gavin
06-25-2007, 01:54 AM
Fire Ozzie

schmitty9800
06-25-2007, 01:55 AM
PODS said the clubhouse was dead as soon as he arrived. Obviously its because they are losing, but still the way he is handling the losing with the media is not the way to do it. Telling the papers that the players should be embarrassed of themselves is not the route to do so. You do that behind closed doors.
If one player comes forward and says that Ozzie's media comments have contributed negatively to their hitting, I'll believe that. Until then, I won't. Ozzie's way of handling the media isn't exactly turning the season around, but I don't see how it's affecting the team's play one iota. They stunk before he ripped the team, and they stink now.

misty60481
06-25-2007, 07:41 AM
Read post # 13--NO NECK--truer words were never spoken---

Jjav829
06-25-2007, 08:12 AM
They all have the "pennies in a jar syndrome.

itsnotrequired
06-25-2007, 08:19 AM
Chick Scoping Bench.

Ooh, I forgot about that one.

graham5
06-25-2007, 08:20 AM
Ailing batters? Who? Paulie? Just time for another 1st half funk. J.D.? Injured again as he has been for most of his career and father time knocking at his door.. Thome? We all get old. Gooch? Not much of a track record, maybe What ya see now is what ya get. Uribe? The Rockies said work ethic problems and was obtained as a backup, What ya see is what ya get. A.J.? On track to match 05 stats. Crede, Pod, Erstad? Chronically ill. Ozuna, Mack, Cintron, Hall? Backup players and having hitting problems is why they have been backup players. The rest? Minor leaguers playing where they don't belong.

Spot on.

duke of dorwood
06-25-2007, 08:50 AM
Earlier adjustments was mentioned.

I have yet to see anyone choke up on the bat a bit- and have not heard anyone commit the sin of going to a lighter bat.

Are they that block headed?

nsolo
06-25-2007, 09:38 AM

I entered this thread with no real opinion, just curious and hoping to get a smile. I got that latter, then I read the above post. Reality is a b***h, but the words rang true. Paulie is a streak hitter. Wasn't '04 a bad one for him? J.D. is injury prone, and Thome at his best is a one dimensional hitter. That would be OK if he was hitting and there were runners on base. The others on the team don't stand a chance when our "better" hitters are hitting rock bottom, and even at their best, what are they really but minor leaguers.

Mod Edit- And that's why you got your ban.

Hitmen77
06-25-2007, 02:19 PM

Good post. What I find amazing is that only one year ago, we (and the rest of the league) were looking at the Sox lineup in awe of our offensive power.

1. Podsednik
2. Iguchi
3. Thome
4. Konerko
5. Dye
6. A.J.
7. Crede
8. Uribe
9. Anderson

8, 9, and 1 were the weak links last year, but nonetheless it was a great looking lineup with Dye, Thome, PK, Crede, and AJ all hitting well in the first half. Mackowiak and Cintron were seen as part of the best bench in MLB.

At this point, I think the best we can hope for is for Konerko to once and for all come out of his funk, AJ to hit up to his career norms, and Thome to stay healthy. Iguchi is hiting about .260 now and I expect him to stay at about that level. With Dye, maybe the best we can hope for over the next 5 weeks is for him to get healthy and have his bat heat up enough to increase his trade value so that we'd get a decent return for him.

Parrothead
06-25-2007, 03:54 PM
Chick Scoping Bench.

It is being used during a game and frequently at home and away; More than I like to know.

southside rocks
06-25-2007, 04:15 PM

I think you're right.

This year is the perfect storm of disasters for this team, with age and injuries hitting the hardest.

russ99
06-25-2007, 08:29 PM
It's the green seats. Things started to go bad when they began replacing the blue seats, and the more they got replaced, the worse things got.

Fire the green seats!

You might have something there. I remember back a few years into New Comiskey, they painted the hitters background and it threw everyone off.

That may be a part of it, but the big reason the hitting's off this year is injuries.

Erstad - DL - ankle
Pods - DL - groin
Iguchi - hand/arm problems
Thome - back, knees, DL - ribcage
Dye - I don't know about you guys but he's looked off all season. Hiding an injury??
Konerko - one of his usual bad slumps, seems to be busting out of it.
A.J. - no official injuries, but no backup for 2 months had to have affected him. Catching every day is rough on the body.
Crede - Back messed up all season long
Uribe - nothing obvious, but he's giving us pretty much what we expected. good defense, streaky hitting, bad plate discipline

Also, the guys we called up to help out outside of Fields are non-major league material. The biggest problem is since these guys are older, recovery takes a lot longer, especially when they're pressed into service. The mental aspect of it has to be the toughest, especially with that mentality of late that no lead is safe.

kitekrazy
06-25-2007, 10:32 PM

That sums it up pretty well. When Konerko is bad-he's really bad and being one of the slowest guys in the majors doesn't help.