PDA

View Full Version : Operation: RESTORE Sox Pride

Viva Medias B's
06-24-2007, 11:07 PM
With today's postgame therad already saying how embarrassing this entire season has become, it is time for "Operation: RESTORE Sox Pride," or ORSP for short. ORSP begins Monday morning in my opinion. As cheesy as it would be, I would go so far as issuing a press release Monday morning conveying the Chicago White Sox organization's official apology to White Sox Nation for the embarrassment this season has become and an affirmation that this is most extremely unacceptable. Well, after a bad loss last week, didn't Ozzie Guillen say the fans are owed an apology?

In that same release, I would make a solem vow to White Sox Nation that the Chicago White Sox organization will make the greatest effort in the history of the franchise to ensure that the 2008 team and those that follow will be ones that White Sox Nation can have nothing but the most extreme pride in. I know that tactic would be lame and be ridiculed by the harsh and judgmental local media, but this message in whatever form the Chicago White Sox organization choses to convey it is one that needs to be stated.

"Operation: RESTORE Sox Pride" should obviously consist of personnel moves designed to make this team a World Series contender. We will not go into that here because countless WSI threads from the past, present, and future address personnel moves. But beyond that, ORSP should also be about the marketing campaign. I would launch the 2008 marketing campaign not during SoxFest 2008 or Opening Day 2008 but on September 30, 2007. That is the date of our final game of the season which is at home against the Detroit Tigers. It will obviously be our last chance to experience White Sox baseball until the following spring, and the final home game of the season would be a good starting point to get White Sox Nation exicited about next year.

With the exciting offseason peronnel moves and an unprecedented high level of marketing aggressiveness, "Operation: RESTORE Sox Pride" should succeed in generating so much attention that White Sox baseball talk will even occasionally knock the defending NFC Champion Chicago Bears off center stage. By SoxFest 2008, it is my hope that ORSP will have created such a positive buzz in White Sox Nation that those attending it have a lot of genuine confidence in the 2008 season and beyond.

This whole idea may be somewhat silly and unrealistic, but it is the kind of thing our franchise needs. Sox Pride must be restored somehow, someway.

Boondock Saint
06-24-2007, 11:10 PM
I can't speak for anyone else, but my PRIDE doesn't need recovery. My confidence in the team does.

Law11
06-24-2007, 11:13 PM
I can't speak for anyone else, but my PRIDE doesn't need recovery. My confidence in the team does.

HERE, HERE!:gulp:

anewman35
06-24-2007, 11:14 PM
This whole idea may be somewhat silly and unrealistic, but it is the kind of thing our franchise needs. Sox Pride must be restored somehow, someway.

We'll be good again someday, and Sox Pride will be restored then. No marketing campaign is going to get people proud of a crap team.

ilsox7
06-24-2007, 11:14 PM

Well said. We are a bad baseball team right now, that's all. I am not embarrassed to be a Sox fan, nor do I have less pride than I did before.

FedEx227
06-24-2007, 11:15 PM
I don't think anyone (real fans at least) are losing Sox Pride. I still love the White Sox, past and present. That doesn't change the fact however that I'm completely embarrassed by the 2007 White Sox. In fact, it's my pride that makes me so embarrassed at this squad.

voodoochile
06-24-2007, 11:18 PM
orsp?:?:

Personally, I prefer:

Sox Pride, Operation Restore

or

SPOR

We're like a mushroom... Try to kill us, we come back 10X stronger...

Viva Medias B's
06-24-2007, 11:19 PM
We'll be good again someday, and Sox Pride will be restored then. No marketing campaign is going to get people proud of a crap team.

One of ORSP's foci is to decrapify this team so that people will become proud of it.

eriqjaffe
06-24-2007, 11:21 PM
How aobut Operation: Hit The Ball

voodoochile
06-24-2007, 11:21 PM
One of ORSP's foci is to decrapify this team so that people will become proud of it.

So you abducted KW's sons until he brings another pennant to Chicago?

voodoochile
06-24-2007, 11:22 PM

Feel like someone's been doing that to me whenever I watch a Sox game recently...

Boondock Saint
06-24-2007, 11:23 PM
I don't think anyone (real fans at least) are losing Sox Pride. I still love the White Sox, past and present. That doesn't change the fact however that I'm completely embarrassed by the 2007 White Sox. In fact, it's my pride that makes me so embarrassed at this squad.

Yeah, That's an excellent point. It's easy to go out in your Sox gear after we won the WS. It's another thing to go out every day in Sox gear when we're playing like the worst team in baseball. I'm proud to be a Sox fan, and it's hard to take this much crap in times like these. But these are the times when you remember that you love this team because they're YOUR TEAM, not simply because they're winning.

hose
06-24-2007, 11:25 PM
How about: Win a game before the month of June ends.

AJ Hellraiser
06-24-2007, 11:30 PM
I always will have Sox Pride... I love this team which is why it's so hard for me to watch them performing this way... 20 short months ago they were our heroes and now our heroes are looking like fools and embarrassing themselves (forget the fans)....

When you care so much about a team and love them so much you just get more po'd and annoyed

SaltyPretzel
06-24-2007, 11:35 PM
Sox Pride must be restored somehow, someway.

That happens with winning baseball.

Viva Medias B's
06-24-2007, 11:39 PM
That happens with winning baseball.

There seems to be some confusion with the meaning of the word "pride" here. Let me try to clarify. Am I proud to be a White Sox fan? Absolutely. I am very proud to be associated with the institution of Chicago White Sox baseball as a fan and split season ticket holder. No amount of bad play can change that. But am I proud of our performance on the field? Absolutely not. I do not think anyone sane is. I want a team whose performance on the field will make me proud of them. The latter form of pride is what needs to be restored.

chisoxmike
06-24-2007, 11:56 PM
Its hard for me to just "turn off" the Sox. I can't just say "I'm not going to watch them anymore or not to go games anymore."

It's hard to just "not care."

I ALWAYS will have Sox Pride and wear my Sox hats and shirts no matter what, first place or last, nothing will change for me. But if they play like **** like they are now, I will run my mouth off about the team to no end.

Am I embarrassed? Sure. But, I'm still proud of my fandom, and always will be.

MetroPD
06-25-2007, 12:00 AM

OHTB is seconded

Viva Medias B's
06-25-2007, 12:10 AM

That would be good, but we'd have to couple that with "Operation: Relievers Get Opposing Batters Out," or ORGOBO.

ilsox7
06-25-2007, 12:12 AM
There seems to be some confusion with the meaning of the word "pride" here. Let me try to clarify. Am I proud to be a White Sox fan? Absolutely. I am very proud to be associated with the institution of Chicago White Sox baseball as a fan and split season ticket holder. No amount of bad play can change that. But am I proud of our performance on the field? Absolutely not. I do not think anyone sane is. I want a team whose performance on the field will make me proud of them. The latter form of pride is what needs to be restored.

So basically, you want: Operation Win Baseball Games. Every team in MLB would be on board with this.

captain54
06-25-2007, 12:53 AM
For the last 25 yrs or so, it's been a fact of life that Sox fans will not support a losing or mediocre team and Cub fans will show up no matter what....Sox management understands this more than anyone, which is why
this current situation has got to be a nightmare for them...

It's a shame.... we've had all the momentum going for us, even with not making the playoffs last year, due to the Cubs horrific 2006...

I think Sox Pride is knowing that as a Sox fan you can and will refuse to support an inferior product on the field...I'm not saying that you should not support the team, I'm saying that I think what makes us different than Cub fans is we will refuse to fill the Sox coffers and reward management for mediocrity...

Everyone has continued to point the finger at the players and I agree that the blame should be placed on the underachievers, but the field and general managers are responsible for putting the pieces together and when things don't work, they simply cannot be given a free pass..the Sox have been mired in mediocrity since mid 06', and there were no signs from spring training that things were going to be any different.

the magic that was there in 05' has been long gone...and yet, the fans have continued to show up with hopes it will return...if the Cell is empty for the next three months, you really can't blame the fans, I mean,c'mon....watching this crap is simply tortuous...

but at least as a Sox fan I know in my heart that JR, KW and Co. are more than aware of the reality that mediocrity is death..

RadioheadRocks
06-25-2007, 12:55 AM

I concur... will be in Tampa/St. Pete the next few days and already have my ticket lined up for Wednesday at Tropicana.

WhiteSox5187
06-25-2007, 01:37 AM
Its hard for me to just "turn off" the Sox. I can't just say "I'm not going to watch them anymore or not to go games anymore."

It's hard to just "not care."

I ALWAYS will have Sox Pride and wear my Sox hats and shirts no matter what, first place or last, nothing will change for me. But if they play like **** like they are now, I will run my mouth off about the team to no end.

Am I embarrassed? Sure. But, I'm still proud of my fandom, and always will be.
I can not tell you the amount of times I've turned off the TV in disgust and say "That's it! I'm not watching them anymore!" Only to come back a few minutes later to see what the score is. It's an addiction. One I can not break and one I never will break.

Having said that, it WOULD be kinda cool if Kenny or someone said "Yea, we kinda suck this year. Next year we're gonna be in the playoffs though. Just watch." Re-signing Buerhle wouldn't hurt either...the fact is, this team has some redeemable qualities. And really, we're pretty banged up too. There is no reason that we can't compete next year with a few changes. This team needs a few touch ups, not radical reconstruction.

Boondock Saint
06-25-2007, 01:42 AM
I can not tell you the amount of times I've turned off the TV in disgust and say "That's it! I'm not watching them anymore!" Only to come back a few minutes later to see what the score is. It's an addiction. One I can not break and one I never will break.

Same here. It can be ****ing brutal. I'll turn the TV off in disgust, then in five minutes it'll be on again because I'm thinking, "Maybe they got their heads out of their asses." Then, if they DO get something going, I have to watch, hoping that they can keep it going. When they DON'T, the TV goes off again, etc...

StillMissOzzie
06-25-2007, 02:38 AM
This team are the ones who should be embarrassed, not me for maintaining my Sox Pride.
However, it will be a bit harder to hit JR in the wallet. The tickets for 2007 have by and large been sold. Yeah, if you don't wanna watch this crap, they won't get your beer and grub money. I think that JR will get the message when it comes time to renew those season tickets, especially if Buehrle has been shipped off by then.

Should make for another interesting SoxFest 2008, too.

SMO
:gulp:

chisoxfanatic
06-25-2007, 03:03 AM
You're not alone there. I think I've done that at least a half a dozen times these last two weeks alone! But, I always come back and watch until the game is completed.

I'm not a fairweather fan by any means (hell, the Chicago Blackhawks have been my #1 favorite sports team since Day 1 of my being a sports fan, if that tells you anything about my refusal to "quit" on a team). I'll still be wearing my Sox gear around outside of attending Sox games. If Cub fans give me grief over what has just happened, I'll slam them with the 1908 comments.

And, I can tell you that I AM renewing my season ticket package for next year, provided they do not jack the prices up significantly, which they have no way to justifiy doing. It goes beyond the love for the team. It also has to do with the friendships I've made with the people around me, who are renewing as well. They will make the games these next three months much more bearable. Who else is with me in this regard?

Grzegorz
06-25-2007, 05:53 AM
OHTB is seconded

That would be a good promotion. Self deprecation would loosen things up a little and I'd bet it would be refreshing for the fans to see that the organization recognizes failure but has the ability to motivate their employees.

roylestillman
06-25-2007, 09:20 AM
OHTB is seconded

All those in favor say Aye...

And can we please remove all references to White Sox Nation?

nccwsfan
06-25-2007, 09:53 AM
My Sox Pride hasn't (and won't) waver. This is the most disappointing season I can remember, and I hope that it doesn't happen like this again.

I have faith in KW's ability to retool this team to be a contender again, whether it's in 2008 or 2009.

cheezheadsoxfan
06-25-2007, 10:06 AM
But these are the times when you remember that you love this team because they're YOUR TEAM, not simply because they're winning.

Exactly. :nod:

tony1972
06-25-2007, 02:04 PM

I usually end up 'hitting the bottle' after watching the Sox play recently...:(: