PDA

View Full Version : Bad Day For Comcast

DannyCaterFan
06-24-2007, 07:34 PM
Two things about today's Comcast Sports Net coverage. First, anyone else notice that the "PreGame LIVE" show apparently was on tape. During the last segment when Bill Melton gave his keys to the game, the stands behind them (as the camera looked in from center field) were almost empty. It was 12:59. Two minutes later, when the regular game coverage began, the stands were full.
Secondly, during that 8th inning fiasco, neither Hawk or DJ picked up on the fact that interference was called on Uribe. As they were ranting about how it was the worst call by an umpire they had ever seen, I switched over to channel 9, where they were showing the actual interference and Bob Brenly was anylizing it. It was not until the bottom of the 8th that Hawk became aware of the problem, by talking to Brenlybetween innings.

Law11
06-24-2007, 07:40 PM
Yep GN had the replay in plain view. Comcast had no camera on it and thus led to Hawk and DJ exploding like goofs not having the replay GN's guys had about 5 minutes earlier.

Nice job Comcast. Instead of naming that stupid dog how about give us the important play.

Lukin13
06-24-2007, 07:47 PM
Deep Dish!

That is BS!

BS!

Noneck
06-24-2007, 08:14 PM
Yep GN had the replay in plain view. Comcast had no camera on it and thus led to Hawk and DJ exploding like goofs not having the replay GN's guys had about 5 minutes earlier.

Nice job Comcast. Instead of naming that stupid dog how about give us the important play.

It showed Harrelson for what he is, an arrogant shill. After the decision was made and he found out, the right thing to do would have been to say " I missed the interference on Uribe , the umps were right and I was WRONG." But God forbid him ever being wrong.

Frontman
06-24-2007, 08:48 PM
I put in the suggestion for the dog to be named "Pudge."

Showing absolutely no bias to a certain southside backstop. Nope. Nosireebob.
:wink:

Oblong
06-24-2007, 08:52 PM
Can someone explain what happened? I watched the clip on mlb.com but like you said, it was just Hawk.

skobabe8
06-24-2007, 09:54 PM
Whats even worse is that the Comcast camera on the 3rd base side caught the interference in the background as it happened live. I watched it on tivo 3 or 4 times. Why the production crew wasnt aware of this is BEYOND me.

COMCAST SUCKS!

Law11
06-24-2007, 10:03 PM
Whats even worse is that the Comcast camera on the 3rd base side caught the interference in the background as it happened live. I watched it on tivo 3 or 4 times. Why the production crew wasnt aware of this is BEYOND me.

COMCAST SUCKS!

I know, youd think they were also seeing WGN's broadcast in the trucks and said to themselevs.. Where's our 3rd base camera....

Oh well just another brick to add to the great wall of despair that has become the 07 season.

Fenway
06-24-2007, 10:39 PM
I know, youd think they were also seeing WGN's broadcast in the trucks and said to themselevs.. Where's our 3rd base camera....

Oh well just another brick to add to the great wall of despair that has become the 07 season.

Jim Angio is a horrible baseball director. But JR loves him

SoxandtheCityTee
06-24-2007, 11:35 PM

Or that Hawk and DJ would have WGN on a monitor in the booth in addition to the Comcast?

soxfan80
06-25-2007, 08:50 AM
Two things about today's Comcast Sports Net coverage. First, anyone else notice that the "PreGame LIVE" show apparently was on tape. During the last segment when Bill Melton gave his keys to the game, the stands behind them (as the camera looked in from center field) were almost empty. It was 12:59. Two minutes later, when the regular game coverage began, the stands were full.
Secondly, during that 8th inning fiasco, neither Hawk or DJ picked up on the fact that interference was called on Uribe. As they were ranting about how it was the worst call by an umpire they had ever seen, I switched over to channel 9, where they were showing the actual interference and Bob Brenly was anylizing it. It was not until the bottom of the 8th that Hawk became aware of the problem, by talking to Brenlybetween innings.The park filled up about five minutes prior to start time friday. Could have been the same thing sunday.

EastCoastSoxFan
06-25-2007, 08:57 AM
It showed Harrelson for what he is, an arrogant shill. After the decision was made and he found out, the right thing to do would have been to say " I missed the interference on Uribe , the umps were right and I was WRONG." But God forbid him ever being wrong.Hawk is famous for pointing out how the umpires are right "98% of the time" (his words). The 8th inning rant was just half a season's worth of frustration boiling over.
I do have to admit that I just about fell off my couch laughing when Pagan got tagged out in a rundown on the subsequent sacrifice fly and Hawk started yelling, "go back to second base -- they'll let you stay" (or something to that effect).

FedEx227
06-25-2007, 08:57 AM

It's all about Bob Albrecht (friend's dad) :tongue:

Fenway
06-25-2007, 09:09 AM
It's all about Bob Albrecht (friend's dad) :tongue:

From how it is being described don't blame Hawk and DJ too much. In a case like this it is the job of the truck to tip off the announcers of something they may have missed...sounds like the third base camera was not plugged in for replay.

They would not have a WGN monitor in the booth as that could only confuse the announcer.

At Fenway, NESN's truck does have access to the visiting team feed and ESPN when they show up as well.

From what I heard from a friend Ed Farmer of all people blew a gasket

billcissell
06-25-2007, 11:17 AM
I was listening to the radio. Farmer went ballistic about how it was the worst call he ever saw, etc. He continued to harp about how the umpires needed to get together and make the right call. He never clearly explained what happened to the listeners, but instead focused on reaming the umpiring crew for making a terrible call.

Last night I got to see for myself what really happened. It makes you wonder what in the world Farmer was ranting about.

Like Hawk, he's a smug egomaniac who refuses to admit when he's wrong or makes a mistake.

kba
06-25-2007, 11:17 AM

Doesn't Angio's tenure on Sox telecasts go all the way back to the
TV-44 Bill Veeck days?

Fenway
06-25-2007, 11:20 AM
Doesn't Angio's tenure on Sox telecasts go all the way back to the
TV-44 Bill Veeck days?

I believe it does.....

Sad
06-25-2007, 11:30 AM
I was listening to the radio. Farmer went ballistic about how it was the worst call he ever saw, etc. He continued to harp about how the umpires needed to get together and make the right call. He never clearly explained what happened to the listeners, but instead focused on reaming the umpiring crew for making a terrible call.

Last night I got to see for myself what really happened. It makes you wonder what in the world Farmer was ranting about.

Like Hawk, he's a smug egomaniac who refuses to admit when he's wrong or makes a mistake.

clearly interference resulting in a dead ball...:rolleyes:

skobabe8
06-25-2007, 11:49 AM
Singleton told the story of a play like that happening in the playoffs when he was with Oakland (2000 maybe?). Miguel Tejada was tagged out after an Oakland baserunner was interfered with. Anyone know how the situations were different?

Lip Man 1
06-25-2007, 11:55 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-070624greenstein,1,3081710.column?coll=cs-home-headlines

Lip

kba
06-25-2007, 01:05 PM
clearly interference resulting in a dead ball...:rolleyes:

Farmer disagreed with the umps' interpretation of the obstruction rule. He seemed to be arguing that the obstruction call shouldn't have resulted in a dead ball. But whether Farmer was right or wrong about that, at least he and Singleton realized the obstruction call had taken place. Singleton said so right away as the play was happening.

Brenley saw it, too, and according to Greenstein, so did Hughes. I'm amazed that Hawk and DJ had no idea the umps had called obstruction until Brenley told them between innings. (I guess I'm not surprised that Hawk went into one of his patented rants without even knowing what the call was.)

Fenway
06-26-2007, 11:40 AM
Hawk makes it to You Tube

7pQnPczK5SY

TDog
06-26-2007, 03:12 PM
Singleton told the story of a play like that happening in the playoffs when he was with Oakland (2000 maybe?). Miguel Tejada was tagged out after an Oakland baserunner was interfered with. Anyone know how the situations were different?

Singleton played in the 2000 ALDS, but he was playing for the White Sox. In 2003, he was playing for the A's. In the sixth inning of Game 3, there was an incident that the Baseball Retrosheet (http://www.retrosheet.org/) describes thusly:

Hernandez reached on an error by Garciaparra [Durazo scored (unearned) (no
RBI), Tejada out at home (left to catcher), Chavez to
second]; obstruction called on Mueller, but ruling was that
it occurred before Tejada reached 3B; therefore, by rule
7.06(b), he is awarded 'next base', which was third and further
advance was at his own peril; Tejada stopped running, tagged out
by 30 feet; there was a long discussion by the umpires and then
a long argument from A's manager Macha.

O.K., I didn't see the play Sunday against the Cubs, but I know the baseball rules fairly well and don't understand how the umpires could have ruled the ball dead, as some people in this thread imply.