PDA

View Full Version : Scary thought...

czalgosz
04-02-2002, 12:40 AM
The White Sox have now won 5 of their last 6 Opening Day games.

In the other 4 seasons, the Sox won 80, 80, 75, and 83.

In the one season they lost on Opening Day, they won 95.

doublem23
04-02-2002, 12:46 AM
I don't know if that's so much scary as, say, obscure... :?:

I guess now we HAVE to win 95 games to end this "curse."

kermittheefrog
04-02-2002, 01:10 AM
Okay whoever it was who said we can turn anything into bitching about the negative is now officially correct.

Tragg
04-02-2002, 01:15 AM
The sox own opening day. I don't have the stats, but i'd guess that we've won 75% of our openers over the last 20 years.
Hell, I remember winning the opener in 1976 - with Goose Gossage as starter (paraphrasing here - "any kid that can throw that hard should start" --->Sox manager Paul Richards)

VeeckAsInWreck
04-02-2002, 04:18 AM
Since you guys like strange occurences here's one you may have heard last year.....The 1984 and 2001 Sox both had their home openers on April 6th and against the Detroit Tigers! Both were coming off great seasons and had high expectations! Let's see if any of the great Sox teams of the past (yeah I know) had their opening day on Apr.12 against Baltimore! The schedule makers need to find out who we opened against in 1917. If so what are the odds that the Knickerbockers or Highlanders are available for a game!

HawkDJ
04-02-2002, 06:13 PM
This is also the 12th straight season that Opening Day has been on the road...

WinningUgly!
04-02-2002, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
This is also the 12th straight season that Opening Day has been on the road...

I heard that during the game yesterday. Why is this?

Cheryl
04-02-2002, 06:24 PM
Because it's too cold to be playing baseball in Chicago just yet.

Daver
04-02-2002, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

I heard that during the game yesterday. Why is this?

Because it was snowing in Chicago?

Paulwny
04-02-2002, 06:38 PM
Sometimes mlb still does it wrong. Toronto with a dome, opened the season at Boston.

HawkDJ
04-02-2002, 06:49 PM
Anyone have any idea when the last time the Cubs started the season at home was?

Cheryl
04-02-2002, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Sometimes mlb still does it wrong. Toronto with a dome, opened the season at Boston.

Wow! That was really stupid.

Pete_SSAC
04-02-2002, 08:03 PM
It never ceases to amaze me at what lengths people are willing to go to think negativly.

WE WON! WE'RE DOOMED! DOOMED I TELL YOU! DOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMEEEEDDDD!!!!

- Pete, who now wishes that the Sox NEVER won that game. :gulp:

doublem23
04-02-2002, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
Anyone have any idea when the last time the Cubs started the season at home was?

I'm not 100% positive, but didn't they open at home in 1998 (after Harrey Caray died)???

Not sure, though.

czalgosz
04-02-2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Pete_SSAC
It never ceases to amaze me at what lengths people are willing to go to think negativly.

WE WON! WE'RE DOOMED! DOOMED I TELL YOU! DOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMEEEEDDDD!!!!

- Pete, who now wishes that the Sox NEVER won that game. :gulp:

If the Sox had lost, the naysaying would be off the charts.

I just found that stray stat, just to warm your hearts on a cold April morn...

doublem23
04-02-2002, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

Yeah, we'd already have a FIRE FOULKE tag. :)

Jerry_Manuel
04-02-2002, 08:51 PM

Damn right! :D:

I wouldn't have said anything. It's just one game win or lose.

czalgosz
04-02-2002, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Damn right! :D:

I wouldn't have said anything. It's just one game win or lose.

You know, I think you're slowly turning into a Twinks fan, the way Jeff Goldblum slowly turned into Brundlefly.

Seriously, though, I know you wouldn't have said anything, but if that hit by Boone gets past Foulke in the ninth, suddenly the season is a travesty.

Just like Terrence Long dropping a fly ball in the 2000 ALDS was a direct result of the huge market in New York.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-02-2002, 09:08 PM
You know, I think you're slowly turning into a Twinks fan, the way Jeff Goldblum slowly turned into Brundlefly.

Hey, you could turn me into Brundlefly if it meant I got to spend some "quality time" with Geena Davis!

:)

Jerry_Manuel
04-02-2002, 09:20 PM

Seriously, though, I know you wouldn't have said anything, but if that hit by Boone gets past Foulke in the ninth, suddenly the season is a travesty.

I like watching the Twins, they play some "exciting" baseball in my world. If they get knocked around by the Tigers and the Royals, I'll say something. I thought they would lose game one, I had them winning game 2 and losing game 3. If they take 2 out of 3 from Seattle that's a great start.