PDA

View Full Version : If, God forbid, we get swept by the Cubs...

Viva Medias B's
06-23-2007, 11:30 PM
...what, if anything, do you think should follow? Should there be rolling heads on the coaching staff? Should the so-called fire sale commence? Or do you have some other idea? Yes, I agree that pondering what should be done if the Cubs sweep us is not the smartest question to consider here, but I know most of you have certainly had that thought on your minds. So have at it, boys and girls. I want to know what you think.

JB98
06-23-2007, 11:33 PM
...what, if anything, do you think should follow? Should there be rolling heads on the coaching staff? Should the so-called fire sale commence? Or do you have some other idea? Yes, I agree that pondering what should be done if the Cubs sweep us is not the smartest question to consider here, but I know most of you have certainly had that thought on your minds. So have at it, boys and girls. I want to know what you think.

Whether we win or lose tomorrow's game is immaterial. We need to rebuild the bullpen and make some changes to the everyday lineup. That was true Thursday afternoon, and it will be true Monday morning.

WhiteSox5187
06-23-2007, 11:38 PM
Whether we win or lose tomorrow's game is immaterial. We need to rebuild the bullpen and make some changes to the everyday lineup. That was true Thursday afternoon, and it will be true Monday morning.
I agree. Any hope of this team making some sort of charge in the standings went out when Erstad didn't come out of the dugout in the first inning (and truth be told probably died long before that). I can kinda understand the logic of not wanting to do anything before the Cubs series but we've already lost the Cubs series. The moves that I would make would be try like to hell to re-sign Buerhle, failing that trade him. Move Uribe and Mack for whatever I can get. See if anyone is interested in Jose, move him and call up either Gio or Floyd. Pray to God that JD can come back, have a good couple of weeks and then move him. And just destroy the bullpen. Move everyone in there except for Jenks...also I believe AJ is a free agent at the end of 2008. I might consider trying to re-sign him too.

DrCrawdad
06-24-2007, 12:03 AM
The fire sale was going to happen regardless of the results of this series.

GO BREWERS!

Viva Medias B's
06-24-2007, 12:17 AM
Here is what I would do:

Make every effort to re-sign Buehrle. Hell, I even toyed with the idea of actually deadline trading him to get key pieces for the future, and re-signing him as a free agent in the offseason. That would be cool, but it's not realistic. Hence, I think we should re-sign him before the season officially ends.
Trade Jermaine Dye. Of course, I do not think we would get a heck of a whole lot for a banged up .230 hitter. Nevertheless, I think we should get what we can for Dye and make Luis Terrero the right fielder in the short term.
Get rid of Juan Uribe. Let's get whatever the hell we can for him. On Friday, I came up with "Juan Useless" as a personal nickname for Uribe. I'd like to see what Andy Gonzalez could do at shortstop. That is his natural position, yet he has not played a game there at the major league level.
Alex Cintron. See No. 3.
Jose Contreras. This is the one starter I would trade. Like Uribe, let's trade him and get what we can for him. He is probably the weakest link in our starting staff, even more so than Javier Vazquez.
Bring back Aaron Rowand? I can make a case for that. No, I am not one of those inane Rongey postgame show callers who think that bringing Rowand back now would guarantee us the 2007 World Series championship. However, I do see merit in having him signed as a free agent. No, I do not think trading for him in 2007 would be practical. I like the free agent signing route with Rowand; he would come back here at a very reasonable price, and Rowand's presence could provide a legitimate leadership I think our team needs.
The bullpen? I think a whole multitude of WSI posts have already covered that one.
Scott Podsednik. If Jerry Owens did more while he was up here with us, I'd advocate using Pods as trade bait. However, Owens has been mediocre. In the meantime, I'd keep Pods.That is not a complete plan, of course, but I think it is something the White Sox ought to consider.

Boondock Saint
06-24-2007, 12:21 AM
Unless you run the Yankees, you don't make knee-jerk personnel decisions because your rivals beat you. If we do anything, it should be because the team has sucked ALL YEAR.

Viva Medias B's
06-24-2007, 12:28 AM
Unless you run the Yankees, you don't make knee-jerk personnel decisions because your rivals beat you. If we do anything, it should be because the team has sucked ALL YEAR.

As much as my heart has wanted to do that during these past two days, that is an excellent point. Sure, our hurt and anger over losing to the Cubs naturally prompts us to want blood and rolling heads over that embarrassment. Hence, such knee-jerk reacitons are neither necessary nor proper. Your point was one I was looking for when I created this thread.

RadioheadRocks
06-24-2007, 12:31 AM
As much as my heart has wanted to do that during these past two days, that is an excellent point. Sure, our hurt and anger over losing to the Cubs naturally prompts us to want blood and rolling heads over that embarrassment. Hence, such knee-jerk reacitons are neither necessary nor proper. Your point was one I was looking for when I created this thread.

Not to mention the Phillies, the Pirates, the Marlins, and so on, and so on, and so on...

ilsox7
06-24-2007, 12:37 AM
Not to mention the Phillies, the Pirates, the Marlins, and so on, and so on, and so on...

Seriously. I don't give a rat's ass that we lost to the Cubs. This is a bad baseball team. Who cares who we lose to?

soxstarter
06-24-2007, 04:50 AM
Seriously. I don't give a rat's ass that we lost to the Cubs. This is a bad baseball team. Who cares who we lose to?

or how many!
:angry:

Grzegorz
06-24-2007, 05:06 AM
Whether we win or lose tomorrow's game is immaterial.

I agree one hundred percent. This Chicago White Sox have needs that have to be addressed.

The Cubs mean nothing and in a perfect world thoughts of such a meaningless, superficial, and classless group should be jettisoned.

GO BREWERS!

You betcha; go Brewers!

Johnny Mostil
06-24-2007, 06:53 AM

Agree with the general point here, but, in defense of the Yankees, or even the Red Sox . . . :duck: . . . their archrivals have, for some time, also been one of the two strongest teams in their division, not to mention a team they play nineteen (?) times each year. So if you build a team to beat them, then you're building a team to win more than just those games. But you're certainly right that ain't the case for the Sox and Cubs, teams from different divisions in different leagues that play each other six times annually . . .

Chicken Dinner
06-24-2007, 07:19 AM
Pull the hammer back and gently squeeze the trigger.

Viva Medias B's
06-24-2007, 07:56 AM
Pull the hammer back and gently squeeze the trigger.

C'mon now. Getting swept by the Cubs would be bad but not that bad.

hose
06-24-2007, 08:00 AM
The only way it would grind on me to lose to the Cubs is if I was at the park and had to listen to their fans.:mad:

Yankee fans at the Cell are in the same asshat category.:angry:

alohafri
06-24-2007, 08:38 AM
What do you mean IF? I bet that we will get swept. Today will be a bloodbath of Biblical proportions.

soxfanatlanta
06-24-2007, 08:43 AM
What do you mean IF? I bet that we will get swept. Today will be a bloodbath of Biblical proportions.

We should just cancel the rest of the season if we do. I mean, losing to the Cubs is the worst thing ever.

:rolleyes:

LongLiveFisk
06-24-2007, 08:57 AM
C'mon now. Getting swept by the Cubs would be bad but not that bad.

True--I'd much rather have this crap Sox lineup be swept by the Cubs than an actual quality Sox lineup, although you never want to be swept at all. I think the fact that they've sucked against any and everyone they've faced in the past month/month and a half takes the sting out of a little because the expectations going into this series weren't promising to begin with.

Bobby Thigpen
06-24-2007, 09:04 AM
The Sox are done. If you honestly think this team is making any sort of comeback you must be the most optimistic person on the planet. Trade anyone on the roster save- Konerko, Iguchi, AJ, Buehrle, Garland, Danks, Thornton, Fields and Jenks. No one is untouchable for the right price. It is time to remake this team because this one is going nowhere, fast.

Remember it took a remaking of the team to win a World Series. That certainly isn't happening with these stiffs.:mad:

MySoxAreClean
06-24-2007, 09:48 AM
I just want to be held and told it's ok. At least when we go to the game the players will actually hear you yell at him. When all 8000 of us show up

Sox
06-24-2007, 10:16 AM
Just remind yourselves of the fact that the Sox are 2005 World champions and then remind cub fans of their 2005 season.

downstairs
06-24-2007, 11:23 AM
The Cubs losses mean as much as losses to the Phillies, Yankees, D-Rays.

Each counts as 1/162nd of the season.

Sad
06-24-2007, 12:25 PM
The Cubs losses mean as much as losses to the Phillies, Yankees, D-Rays.

Each counts as 1/162nd of the season.

that's right...
I'll never understand the Cub-thing-
perhaps because I never lived in the city...

nsolo
06-25-2007, 10:56 AM
that's right...

I too live in s.w. Michigan, and can't believe your statement that you don't understand the cubs "thing". With South Bend providing the local television news and sports in my area, the cubs ALWAYS get first billing. Many times, as a Sox fan, I'm lucky to see the score of the game on the bottom of the screen crawler. Cubs fans in this area have to outnumber Sox fans by a conservative ratio of 2:1. Given they are the majority, as a Sox fan I tire of been forced feed their loveableness and that urine scented park they refer to as a shrine.

Sad
06-25-2007, 10:58 AM
I too live in s.w. Michigan, and can't believe your statement that you don't understand the cubs "thing". With South Bend providing the local television news and sports in my area, the cubs ALWAYS get first billing. Many times, as a Sox fan, I'm lucky to see the score of the game on the bottom of the screen crawler. Cubs fans in this area have to outnumber Sox fans by a conservative ratio of 2:1. Given they are the majority, as a Sox fan I tire of been forced feed their loveableness and that urine scented park they refer to as a shrine.

I focus my hate elsewhere
Detroit
Cleveland
Minnesota
New York
etc.

I'm glad it's done with as I am every year...

thechico
06-25-2007, 03:35 PM
that's right...

I lived in Fort Wayne for a few years. One of the was 2005. I was the ONLY south sider I knew in a sea of Cubbie ignorance. So, I celebrated alone. Now, I live in the Illinois Valley, where the Sox may have a slightly larger base. Not having to hear about how "wonderful" the cubs are makes a big difference.