PDA

View Full Version : Eyes closed, assuming fetal position

nsolo
06-23-2007, 10:32 PM
God help me. Living in s.w. Michigan, White Sox fans are few and far between. Mostly, baseball fans around here are either Tiger or Cub fans. Knowing this, Monday is promising to be a living hell.

Eventually, baseball season will be over, and I'm predicting this season to be a low watermark milestone. So will football season offer peace? I doubt it. Being a dyed in the wool Michigan Wolverine, living only 12 miles from Notre Dame, this fall will only prove to be another force feeding of those holier that thou Irish. If the Sox don't pick it up, and Big Blue doesn't win over ND, I'll have my wife post my obit, and please,,, speak kindly of me.:whiner:

California Sox
06-23-2007, 10:46 PM
Welcome. I grew up in St. Joe as a Sox fan and rooting for Michigan. I know of what you speak.

ND's gotta come to the Big House with an inexperienced QB and we've got almost our entire offense back. These are the years I worry about: When we're favored.

soxwon
06-23-2007, 11:13 PM
With me and my kerchief, and wearing sox cap
I lay me down for a long winters nap.
wake me im march.

WhiteSox5187
06-24-2007, 12:19 AM
I'm a huge Notre Dame fan, the only two teams I follow are ND and the White Sox. Having said that, I think it could be a loooong year for me.

chisoxfanatic
06-24-2007, 12:59 AM
This seriously is the worst time I've ever had in my entire time as a Sox fan, and I've been a Sox fan for nearly 20 years now. It truly pours when it rains. I just can't believe how this team has fallen through quicksand so easily. It's sad to watch. I try to make myself feel better by popping in my 2005 World Series DVD.

Bears and Blackhawks, please start your seasons soon!!!

nug0hs
06-24-2007, 01:00 AM
I hear ya buddy. I was the voice of the ChiSox in Kalamazoo for the past 4 years, so I definitely understand the struggle.

JB98
06-24-2007, 01:01 AM
This seriously is the worst time I've ever had in my entire time as a Sox fan. It truly pours when it rains. I just can't believe how this team has fallen through quicksand so easily. It's sad to watch. I try to make myself feel better by popping in my 2005 World Series DVD.

Watching the Sox right now is similar to watching the last few days in the life of our family dog. It was sad, and we knew we had to put him down.

chisoxfanatic
06-24-2007, 01:03 AM
Watching the Sox right now is similar to watching the last few days in the life of our family dog. It was sad, and we knew we had to put him down.

It really pains me to think that this team could end up with a lower winning percentage than the 05-06 Blackhawks with the way things have been going. And, in the Hawks' case, it wasn't so painful, because I never had huge expectations for them before that season like I did for the Sox this season.

ilsox7
06-24-2007, 01:04 AM
This seriously is the worst time I've ever had in my entire time as a Sox fan, and I've been a Sox fan for nearly 20 years now. It truly pours when it rains. I just can't believe how this team has fallen through quicksand so easily. It's sad to watch. I try to make myself feel better by popping in my 2005 World Series DVD.

Well, we suck so bad, it's almost humorous.

kevingrt
06-24-2007, 01:05 AM
I'm in Chicago now with too many Scrubby fans and in August I go back to school with scrubby and cards fans in missouri. Life will only get worse.

chisoxfanatic
06-24-2007, 01:07 AM
I'm in Chicago now with too many Scrubby fans and in August I go back to school with scrubby and cards fans in missouri. Life will only get worse.
It can't get TOO bad for you there since neither team will be in the playoffs this October.

soxstarter
06-24-2007, 05:53 AM
Wonder if I can take bereavement leave on Monday to avoid the Cub fans?
:whiner:

hose
06-24-2007, 09:11 AM
I'm a huge Notre Dame fan, the only two teams I follow are ND and the White Sox. Having said that, I think it could be a loooong year for me.

this will cheer you up:http://www.ndnation.com/misc/herecometheirish.php

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/SoxSounds.htm

Viva Medias B's
06-24-2007, 09:20 AM
Just remind any idiot Cub fan talking smack how the 2005 season ended.

tick53
06-24-2007, 10:08 AM
God help me. Living in s.w. Michigan, White Sox fans are few and far between. Mostly, baseball fans around here are either Tiger or Cub fans. Knowing this, Monday is promising to be a living hell.

Eventually, baseball season will be over, and I'm predicting this season to be a low watermark milestone. So will football season offer peace? I doubt it. Being a dyed in the wool Michigan Wolverine, living only 12 miles from Notre Dame, this fall will only prove to be another force feeding of those holier that thou Irish. If the Sox don't pick it up, and Big Blue doesn't win over ND, I'll have my wife post my obit, and please,,, speak kindly of me.:whiner:

I live in Plymouth and work in South Bend. I feel your pain.:nod:

MarySwiss
06-24-2007, 10:47 AM
Something disgusting just occurred to me. I seem to recall hearing Hawk say during yesterday's game that we led the Sox/Cubs series 30-28. If true, then that means it is now 30-29. So if we lose today....:puking:

MySoxAreClean
06-24-2007, 10:55 AM
MARY needs a hug, Im hugging you....

cheezheadsoxfan
06-24-2007, 10:58 AM
I work close to the IL-WI border so there is a mix of Sox, Cub & Brewer fans. I've bonded with the Brewer fans for safety and I plan to add to the 2005 Sox stuff already on my office wall.

Then to top it off, my new boss is a Twinkies fan. I have to admit tho, he falls under "Minnesota nice".

Demafrost
06-24-2007, 11:02 AM
Just know that there are millions of Cubs or Tigers fans that would kill to have a 29-41 record, if it was preceded by a WS ring 2 years prior. Nothing to hang your heads on. Sure the Sox suck right now, but its a lot easier when you have a ring in recent memory

Sox
06-24-2007, 11:12 AM
I have waited patiently as a Sox fan for a long time for them to win a World Championship. They accomplished that feat in 2005. I wasn't even sure that they would ever win one in my lifetime but they did. I have lived through the dry years with this team since the days of Richie Allen, Wilbur Wood, Bill Melton, Jorge Orta, Bucky Dent, Jim Kaat, Ed Herman, Harold Baines, and Pudge Fisk. I could go on and on. If I had to put things in perspective at least we can say that the monkey is off our backs. The Cubs fans can't say the same thing. How long has it been since they won a title?
So take heart Sox fans. It could always be worse. I've been through the lean times. Take heart. Better days are ahead.

Sad
06-24-2007, 11:22 AM

hey man
I'm feeling your pain... I was feeling like the fetal position after yesterday
geez already this is painful to witness

btw I live north of St. Joe/ Benton Harbor

GO SOX!
GO BLUE!

MarySwiss
06-24-2007, 12:38 PM
MARY needs a hug, Im hugging you....

Awww, thanks! That makes me feel better--at least for now.

But since it's Sunday, I have to write today's TBGR. And if we get swept, I will not be held responsible for how incredibly depressing:(:/angry:angry:/tear-splotched:whiner: that recap will no doubt be.

HerzogVon
06-24-2007, 12:54 PM
Just remind any idiot Cub fan talking smack how the 2005 season ended.

You might also want to bring up the 2003 season. :rolleyes: The wife and I pulled out all the stops for that last game, even resorting to a little home grown Voodoo. Can't say that we can claim responsibility, but it's kind of fun to fantasize.

Schadefreude = It's better than no Freude at all.

Lip Man 1
06-24-2007, 01:20 PM
It's been a long time (1999) since the time of the year that I love so much and look forward to so much (Summer) has been empty.

To me there's something dreadfully wrong with not having baseball to watch, listen, worry about.

You look forward every winter to the season starting and to have it over by the middle of June....words can't really describe how that feels.

Lip

Sad
06-24-2007, 01:23 PM
It's been a long time (1999) since the time of the year that I love so much and look forward to so much (Summer) has been empty.

To me there's something dreadfully wrong with not having baseball to watch, listen, worry about.

You look forward every winter to the season starting and to have it over by the middle of June....words can't really describe how that feels.

Lip

sums it up quite well Lip

I was just telling friends the other day how big a part of Sox baseball is for my summer... and it's already over...
I have mixed feelings of anger, and depression... maybe I'll start going fishing again

MISoxfan
06-24-2007, 01:25 PM

In the New Buffalo, Union Pier, Three Oaks area it always seemed 50/50 Sox/Cubs. I'm not sure I knew any Tiger fans.

LITTLE NELL
06-24-2007, 04:01 PM
In the early 50s GM Frank Lane was about to trade the whole Sox team for the whole Tiger team. This sounds like the right thing to do right now, How about the Devil Rays. Im starting to hate this whole team. I just cant believe they are this bad. I must be having a nightmare.

Sad
06-24-2007, 04:06 PM
In the early 50s GM Frank Lane was about to trade the whole Sox team for the whole Tiger team. This sounds like the right thing to do right now, How about the Devil Rays. Im starting to hate this whole team. I just cant believe they are this bad. I must be having a nightmare.

I don't hate... I'm just... I don't know... at this point shocked, depressed
it's like a bad Groundhog Day... over & over & over & over...
seems like they get 1 win a week...

MDF3530
06-24-2007, 04:08 PM
In the early 50s GM Frank Lane was about to trade the whole Sox team for the whole Tiger team. This sounds like the right thing to do right now, How about the Devil Rays. Im starting to hate this whole team. I just cant believe they are this bad. I must be having a nightmare.No, this isn't a nightmare. It really is happening.

Frater Perdurabo
06-24-2007, 04:52 PM
Keep our rotation. Can we just trade our bullpen for the Padres, and our offense for Cleveland's?

eastchicagosoxfan
06-24-2007, 05:24 PM
As much as 2005 was a total surprise ( Who really expected the Sox to win the AL Pennant and sweep the World Series ) this year has been a surprise on the negative end of the spectrum. Changes are needed, but just where, I can't decide. Someone tell Ozzie to go **** himself, just to loosen up the team? Move a couple of vets, and replace them with rookies from outside the organization? Is A.J. a touggh guy to be around when a team is losing?

LITTLE NELL
06-24-2007, 05:31 PM
Someone needs to smash the water cooler.

TDog
06-24-2007, 05:38 PM
An in 1968, I believe (I might be wrong on the precise late '60s year), Charlie Finley offered to put his A's players in Chicago in exchange for the heading-into-oblivion Sox players. Beginning in 1971, the A's won five consecutive division titles, including three World Series championships. There were a couple of good pitchers and a good hitter who once played football at Arizona State.

In that history line, though, Frank Thomas probably ends up playing for the Cubs.

russ99
06-24-2007, 05:39 PM
No we need someone to get us some decent outfielders.

If I turn on another game this season with Gonzalez & Terrero starting I'm not watching the game. Can't run, Can't throw, Can't hit. What the heck are these two doing on a major league club.

I'd take Brian Anderson at this point. :o:

LITTLE NELL
06-24-2007, 05:46 PM
The 70 Sox were 56-106 but were more fun to watch than this bunch.

nsolo
06-24-2007, 06:53 PM
Go east 40 miles and the demographics change. And, what closet Tiger fans there where, are now riding the bandwagon.

nsolo
06-24-2007, 07:01 PM
The 70 Sox were 56-106 but were more fun to watch than this bunch.

I agree. I too suffered through that year, and can remember it being to bad, that towards the end of the season, one home game only drew around 500 fans. Wasn't that the year where the highlight of the season was Bill Melton going for the Home Run title?

LITTLE NELL
06-24-2007, 07:07 PM
I agree. I too suffered through that year, and can remember it being to bad, that towards the end of the season, one home game only drew around 500 fans. Wasn't that the year where the highlight of the season was Bill Melton going for the Home Run title?
and little louie batting .313

nsolo
06-24-2007, 07:19 PM
and little louie batting .313

Your right! To hit that well with that team behind him was a real feat.

Lip Man 1
06-24-2007, 07:25 PM
TDog:

I think you are referring to the period in the mid 70's when John Allyn was very close to selling the team to Seattle people.

MLB then was going to move the Sox to Seattle thereby clearing up the lawsuit filed by King County over moving the Pilots and then allow Charlie Finley who had his corporate offices in Chicago, to move the A's to Comiskey Park, clearing up the Bay Area issue.

I have never heard of Finley trying to do this in the late 60's (he had just moved to Oakland in 1968.)

Finley DID try to get the Sox once before in the late 50's before Bill Veeck bought them. He offered serious money (over 500,000 up front) to the Comiskey family and some members of the family were very much in favor of turning down Bill and taking Charlie's cash.

Lip

Lip Man 1
06-24-2007, 07:26 PM
Bill Melton won the home run title on the last day of the 1971 season after Chuck, Roland and company completely turned the franchise around.

Lip

thomas35forever
06-24-2007, 08:29 PM
You know the reactions the guys have when they get shot in the "Dear Sister" skit on SNL (go to Youtube if you don't know what I mean)? That was mine when I found out at work that the Sox lost. Even bringing up 2005 didn't do much good for me. I want to stop following the team this season, but I don't think that's possible. What's worse, training camp is still a month away. The head says stop watching, but the heart says keep watching. I'm listening to the heart...for now.

JB98
06-24-2007, 11:19 PM
No we need someone to get us some decent outfielders.

If I turn on another game this season with Gonzalez & Terrero starting I'm not watching the game. Can't run, Can't throw, Can't hit. What the heck are these two doing on a major league club.

I'd take Brian Anderson at this point. :o:

Terrero is better than Anderson, but Anderson is better than Gonzalez.

Regardless, none of the three should be starting everyday in a major-league outfield.

chisoxfanatic
06-24-2007, 11:33 PM
Ohhh, god...I'm sitting here listening to an XM radio station right now, and in the last 15 minutes, they've played BOTH "Thunderstruck" AND "Don't Stop Believing" :whiner:

Martinigirl
06-24-2007, 11:45 PM
The worst part of this series for me was not only that we were swept by the Cubs, which is mortifying, but the fact that we are back in the position where this is basically the most important series of the year for Sox fans. I got used to us being a team in contention, a team that had to focus on teams in our division, fighting for a playoff spot, with the Cub series being fun, but in the end inconsequential beyond the impact it had on our overall record.

But now, it is like a rewind to when we had nothing to play for by city bragging rights, and that realization is one of the most depressing things about this weekend to me.

kevingrt
06-25-2007, 12:15 AM
I think the title of this thread pretty much states my slogan for the rest of the year.

chisoxfanatic
06-25-2007, 12:18 AM
But now, it is like a rewind to when we had nothing to play for by city bragging rights, and that realization is one of the most depressing things about this weekend to me.
The one thing that keeps me sane about this weekend is that we still have 2005 to look back on (I know we can't live in the past, but still it's better than NOTHING); they have 99 years of futility. If this happened BEFORE 2005, I'd have felt a lot worse about it I can tell ya!

DumpJerry said it best: We won the war.

TDog
06-25-2007, 01:31 AM

I have never heard of Finley trying to do this in the late 60's (he had just moved to Oakland in 1968.)...

I got the reference from a Richard Lindberg year-by-year history of the White Sox published after the 1983 season. I can't find the precise reference because my books are in storage.

This wasn't a threat to move the Sox, but to trade franchise talent. This preceded the suggestions in the media that the Sox were on their way out of town at the end of the decade, in the 1970s and in the 1980s. Basically, every time the Sox have a bad season, people stop going to the games and read about how the Sox are moving somewhere else.

Nellie_Fox
06-25-2007, 01:47 AM
The 70 Sox were 56-106 but were more fun to watch than this bunch.I spent the '70 season in Viet Nam, so I didn't get to experience that. I always thought that Viet Nam was a lot more fun than suffering through that season.

Boondock Saint
06-25-2007, 01:53 AM
I spent the '70 season in Viet Nam, so I didn't get to experience that. I always thought that Viet Nam was a lot more fun than suffering through that season.

I think, with that sentence, you just became the baddest mother hubbard on the planet.