PDA

View Full Version : What do you think? 2007-one down year or start of a few down seasons?

tony1972
06-23-2007, 08:33 PM
Personally, (unless you are the Yankees)...every team has one or two bad years every decade or so...since 1990..the White Sox have generally been a plus .500 team with a few exceptions (1995...1998..1999) and even those years they were only a few games under .500.

This year upsets me....but not as much as you'd think..because I simply think we are due for a bad season (just the law of averages). But my big question is to people on this board? Do you think this season is (A) a one year blip on the radar (i/e lots of injuries..we are not catching the breaks..transition year, etc.) and the White Sox will bounce back to a generally winning record in 2008 and beyond or (B) the start of a few bad years..maybe 3 or 4..like we had in 1968 to about 1970..after winning seasons from 1953 to 1967...(i/e our farm system not too great..re-building that may take a few years, etc.

I am just curious as to what the outlook is from other White Sox fans? We were pretty crummy in 2004..1999, etc..but bounced back the next seasons and made the playoffs. Do you think we have enough of a core to recover and be fairly decent in the near future? (some pluses to me..we generally have a good starting rotation..some promising arms in the minors, etc.)...(some minuses to me...our farm system doesn't seem too hot right now..with free agency..we are not going to spend the money for good players that we need, etc.

What does everyone on this board think?

Scottiehaswheels
06-23-2007, 08:36 PM
2008 could be anything... depends on the trades we make this year and the offseason KW puts together... I'm not willing to venture a guess either way...

WhiteSox5187
06-23-2007, 08:42 PM
2008 could be anything... depends on the trades we make this year and the offseason KW puts together... I'm not willing to venture a guess either way...
I agree...I mean there is a core here that is ready and capable of winning. But it all depends on what Kenny does. If (God forbid) Kenny decides to part ways with both Buerhle and Garland and then tries to rebuild a rotation around Jose and Javy, we're in trouble. But who knows? I think we'll have a better idea at the end of this season.

JB98
06-23-2007, 08:43 PM
The Buerhle situation will decide a lot of things.

If he stays with the Sox, we can retool quickly and possibly contend in 2008. If he is traded or walks at the end of the year, we could be in for a few down seasons.

A bad offense can be fixed in one offseason. A strong pitching staff is much tougher to put together.

DumpJerry
06-23-2007, 08:45 PM
2004 wasn't so bad.

The Sox will be back. In my lifetime.

Scottiehaswheels
06-23-2007, 08:45 PM
As a Sox fan/forever STH I would hope we'd be a good team obviously, but going into this year we all thought this team would kick some serious ass too.... Look how thats worked out... We need to get some "Ozzieball" type players in here this offseason though in my opinion... Ichiro would solve 3 problems in one signing... CF/Leadoff/OBP guy...

slavko
06-23-2007, 08:51 PM
This is, of course, related to the Duane Shaffer story. The cupboard's bare. But in an era of free agency and coming off some nice moneymaking attendance years, a quick rebound is possible.

JB98
06-23-2007, 09:00 PM
This is, of course, related to the Duane Shaffer story. The cupboard's bare. But in an era of free agency and coming off some nice moneymaking attendance years, a quick rebound is possible.

I don't think the cupboard is bare pitching-wise, but we do need a couple youngsters to step up and help us in some capacity.

The lineup, however, needs major changes. But as I posted earlier, it's easier to find hitting than pitching.

Brian26
06-23-2007, 09:03 PM
2004 wasn't so bad.

It really wasn't. I was a helluva a season up until July when both Frank and Mags went down. You had CLee's hitting streak, a couple of gems by Buehrle, some exciting trades (picking up Freddy and Contreras), Borchard's blast, "Come On, Timo"...

It was a decent year. If Frank and Mags stayed healthy, who knows. Hawk joked at Soxfest '06 that Ozzie might have won two in a row.

JB98
06-23-2007, 09:05 PM
It really wasn't. I was a helluva a season up until July when both Frank and Mags went down. You had CLee's hitting streak, a couple of gems by Buehrle, some exciting trades (picking up Freddy and Contreras), Borchard's blast, "Come On, Timo"...

It was a decent year. If Frank and Mags stayed healthy, who knows. Hawk joked at Soxfest '06 that Ozzie might have won two in a row.

There were exciting moments in 2004. The team was competitive. It stayed respectable through adversity. I wasn't unhappy with the effort or the performance.

Wish I could say that this year. Aside from Mark's no-hitter, this season has created very few happy memories thus far.

EndemicSox
06-23-2007, 09:08 PM
Depends on the youngsters, if the system is dry, we could be looking at a 75-85 win team for the next three seasons. I also agree with the above poster who said that keeping Burls would be a good move, and almost neccessary to contend for the division in 08-09. I don't like the logic KW and JR are using in regards to the proven vet, but I guess they feel Gavin Floyd+Gio+ pitchers worse/cheaper than Gil Meche can get the job done. Just don't expect my cash if they don't Uncle Jerry.

Tragg
06-23-2007, 09:23 PM
I don't think the cupboard is bare pitching-wise, but we do need a couple youngsters to step up and help us in some capacity.

The lineup, however, needs major changes. But as I posted earlier, it's easier to find hitting than pitching.
I agree. OUr veterans are our best trade bait and we have a lot of pitching so we'll have to use it to rebuild. And as you said, the MB trade is key. Good thing Williams stockpiled pitching last off-season.

Also, we have to decide how to play this out: the utility players on the current roster, or bring up the legitimate prospects, none of whom, save Fields, are in Chicago.

As for 2004, we went on a terrible streak at the end of July for, as I recall, about 2 weeks. And that was that.

Lip Man 1
It depends of the budget JR gives Kenny this off season, if Kenny's prediction of a market 'correction' comes true (I'm not holding my breath) and what 'philosophy' Kenny decides to take (i.e. more station to station home run or nothing sluggers or a balanced type lineup.)

It'll be a very interesting off season that's for sure.

Lip

oeo
Who knows what the 2008 team will look like. Kenny built that 2005 lineup over an offseason, let's see if he can do it again. Hopefully there are a lot of changes...if Buehrle is traded we better be getting a young, big league ready SS. Hopefully we can get a good valued outfielder out of Dye as well (although now it seems unlikely). Then sign Ichiro and Castillo.

The bullpen...who knows?

Tragg
06-23-2007, 09:30 PM
Hopefully we can get a good valued outfielder out of Dye as well (although now it seems unlikely). Then sign Ichiro and Castillo.

The bullpen...who knows?
I say rest Dye for 3 weeks, maybe a little DH now and then, and then see what he can do in the last 2 weeks of July. If he's fresh and starts hitting, it will be good for us and for him (he's in a contract year, and a big payday for Jermaine is sailing by).

JB98
06-23-2007, 09:32 PM
I say rest Dye for 3 weeks, maybe a little DH now and then, and then see what he can do in the last 2 weeks of July. If he's fresh and starts hitting, it will be good for us and for him (he's in a contract year, and a big payday for Jermaine is sailing by).

Some of the remarks I've seen from Guillen today seem to suggest that Dye is headed for the DL.

Looks like Sweeney is playing for Charlotte tonight, so perhaps no decision has been made yet.

Scottiehaswheels
06-23-2007, 09:33 PM
(and a big payday for Jermaine is sailing by).Eureka! He is playing horribly to justify taking another small contract to stay with us... After we sign him for half the last contract, he'll be awesome again?:redneck

CLR01
06-23-2007, 10:59 PM
Some of the remarks I've seen from Guillen today seem to suggest that Dye is headed for the DL.

Looks like Sweeney is playing for Charlotte tonight, so perhaps no decision has been made yet.

Sounds like Dye will be joining Ersty tomorrow with Sweeney replacing him. I'm surprised Charlotte can still field a team.

JB98
06-23-2007, 11:02 PM
Sounds like Dye will be joining Ersty tomorrow with Sweeney replacing him. I'm surprised Charlotte can still field a team.

Sweeney played both ends of the DH with Charlotte today. If he's got to come to Chicago tonight, he'll be rather tired when he arrives. Of course, if he has a lack of energy, he'll fit right in with everyone else.

Charlotte lost both games today. They certainly aren't doing well with so many of their players up on the big club.

soxwon
06-23-2007, 11:10 PM

If he stays with the Sox, we can retool quickly and possibly contend in 2008. If he is traded or walks at the end of the year, we could be in for a few down seasons.

A bad offense can be fixed in one offseason. A strong pitching staff is much tougher to put together.

hey we still got garland-vacky-danks-masset-gio
thats an impressive rotation to me

CLR01
06-23-2007, 11:17 PM
Charlotte lost both games today. They certainly aren't doing well with so many of their players up on the big club.

It's the addition of the players the Sox are sending down not the loss of the ones they are sending up that is hurting them. :D:

Sweeney could sleep in his first class seat.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-23-2007, 11:20 PM
It's the addition of the players the Sox are sending down not the ones they are sending up that is hurting them.

The Sox are playing hot potato with Charlotte... using MacDougal as the potato.
:wink:

JB98
06-23-2007, 11:28 PM

It's a young rotation with potential. It wouldn't be the sort of rotation that could carry us to glory in 2008. There would be ups and downs.

On a championship team, Garland is a No. 3 starter, not an ace.

Brian26
06-23-2007, 11:28 PM

Blow up Charlotte too.

:angry:

Brian26
06-23-2007, 11:31 PM

Gio's never pitched a game in the major leagues. Danks and Masset have shown signs of talent, but neither has proven he is here for the long haul. If you're impressed with that rotation, you're being too kind or too optimistic. That's like saying you were impressed with Felix Diaz and Arnie Munoz before the 2004 season.

JB98
06-23-2007, 11:33 PM
Gio's never pitched a game in the major leagues. Danks and Masset have shown signs of talent, but neither has proven he is here for the long haul. If you're impressed with that rotation, you're being too kind or too optimistic. That's like saying you were impressed with Felix Diaz and Arnie Munoz before the 2004 season.

Danks > Munoz :D:

Viva Medias B's
06-23-2007, 11:49 PM
2008 better not be a down season. This 2007 season may end up being the most disappointing one in my lifetime, and we have every right to demand that this organization bend over backwards to make it up to us the core fans in 2008.

I want this embarrassing 2007 team torn down and rebuilt. I want all the dead weight on this roster gone yesterday, and I want them replaced with players who give a damn.

PaulDrake
06-24-2007, 12:01 AM
I didn't think they were a playoff worthy team at the beginning of the year, but certainly didn't expect this horror show. Right now winning 75-85 games a year for the next few seasons looks like a pipedream to me. I hope Kenny can make me change my mind between now and next Spring Training.

oeo
06-24-2007, 12:14 AM
It's a young rotation with potential. It wouldn't be the sort of rotation that could carry us to glory in 2008. There would be ups and downs.

On a championship team, Garland is a No. 3 starter, not an ace.

I agree that's not a rotation that will contend next year, but it will be interesting to see what happens. We have all of Masset, Gio, and Floyd that could be inserted in the rotation next year. Not to mention Broadway soon, as well...

Could one of them be the one we send to Tampa for Crawford? Gio should be the untouchable, the others can go if we net a good return.

California Sox
06-24-2007, 12:14 AM
I don't think there is any way Buerhle comes back. If they were going to sign him, it would have been last offseason IMO. I wouldn't pencil Masset into the rotation just yet. KW loves G.Floyd and he's been on a run in AAA. I would imagine, since I believe he is on his last option, that he will be given every opportunity to make the rotation next year.

The bullpen is a major question mark. We need somebody to come out of nowhere from the right side. We have a lot of right handers who are close Russell, Egbert, Broadway, plus Oneli Perez, Fernie Hernandez, and maybe even Wasserman. We need like one guy to pitch the seventh. Should it really be this hard?

Obviously, the position player situation is dire. Basically, we've got Thome, A.J. and Paulie plus a lot of ???. Fields has looked pretty good so far. Of course, I would love to get Crede back for one more year. (I think there's a very good chance they non-tender him and save $8 million)

Iguchi's as good as gone. $5 million option on Uribe. Is Uribe really worth $5 million? Certainly we have no else. Richar figures to get a shot at playing 2b (outside shot at ss?) Getz has been hurt, so it would be hard to imagine he'll get a shot.

In the outfield, I believe Sweeney's got to play every day from here on out to see what we have. The fact that he can play all three outfield positions should make that a snap. Release Mackowiak. The question out there for KW is "Who out of Pods, Erstad, and Dye should be with the team next year?" Pods is arbitration eligible. There's a club option on Erstad, but I don't know how much it's worth. Dye is not getting $15 million from anybody this offseason. He might be resigned. If I had to guess, none of those guys will be back. Buerhle and Iguchi will not be resigned. I predict KW will take all that money and make a splash. I'm predicting he'll sign what's-left-of Andruw Jones. KW has always loved the guy. Personally, I'd try to get Alexis Rios from Toronto. They're dangling him for young pitching.

With so much uncertainty, I find it hard to believe the Sox will bounce back strong in 2008. I think we're in for a couple of rebuilding years ala the late eighties and late nineties.

JB98
06-24-2007, 12:18 AM
I don't think there is any way Buerhle comes back. If they were going to sign him, it would have been last offseason IMO. I wouldn't pencil Masset into the rotation just yet. KW loves G.Floyd and he's been on a run in AAA. I would imagine, since I believe he is on his last option, that he will be given every opportunity to make the rotation next year.

The bullpen is a major question mark. We need somebody to come out of nowhere from the right side. We have a lot of right handers who are close Russell, Egbert, Broadway, plus Oneli Perez, Fernie Hernandez, and maybe even Wasserman. We need like one guy to pitch the seventh. Should it really be this hard?

Obviously, the position player situation is dire. Basically, we've got Thome, A.J. and Paulie plus a lot of ???. Fields has looked pretty good so far. Of course, I would love to get Crede back for one more year. (I think there's a very good chance they non-tender him and save $8 million)

Iguchi's as good as gone. $5 million option on Uribe. Is Uribe really worth $5 million? Certainly we have no else. Richar figures to get a shot at playing 2b (outside shot at ss?) Getz has been hurt, so it would be hard to imagine he'll get a shot.

In the outfield, I believe Sweeney's got to play every day from here on out to see what we have. The fact that he can play all three outfield positions should make that a snap. Release Mackowiak. The question out there for KW is "Who out of Pods, Erstad, and Dye should be with the team next year?" Pods is arbitration eligible. There's a club option on Erstad, but I don't know how much it's worth. Dye is not getting $15 million from anybody this offseason. He might be resigned. If I had to guess, none of those guys will be back. Buerhle and Iguchi will not be resigned. I predict KW will take all that money and make a splash. I'm predicting he'll sign what's-left-of Andruw Jones. KW has always loved the guy. Personally, I'd try to get Alexis Rios from Toronto. They're dangling him for young pitching.

With so much uncertainty, I find it hard to believe the Sox will bounce back strong in 2008. I think we're in for a couple of rebuilding years ala the late eighties and late nineties.

Toronto wants to trade Rios? No ****? Why? Do they have a stable of rising young outfielders or something?

hose
06-24-2007, 01:39 AM

Scott Boras represents Andruw Jones so KW wont be interested.

oeo
06-24-2007, 01:41 AM
Scott Boras represents Andruw Jones so KW wont be interested.

I hope he's not interested...I definitely am not. Andruw Jones = overrated.

Grzegorz
06-24-2007, 06:21 AM
I remember the Atlanta Braves of 1990. Their pitching staff took its lumps and they gained through that experience to become one of the most feared staff in in the game during the '90s.

The same formula, baptism through fire, also payed great dividends to the Detroit Tigers.

I am not saying that Danks, Masset, Thorton, Gonzalez, Floyd, & Logan have the same talent of those staffs, but this is an experience that can be built upon. If management has belief in these guys and sees talent this sobering experience might pay dividends in the future.

As for the position players, well that is another story. I'd move who I could like Dye, Contreras, Buehrle (provided he cannot be signed!), Uribe, and others in a package to get some major league ready talent to help build a winning ball club.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-24-2007, 08:21 AM
I didn't think they were a playoff worthy team at the beginning of the year, but certainly didn't expect this horror show. Right now winning 75-85 games a year for the next few seasons looks like a pipedream to me. I hope Kenny can make me change my mind between now and next Spring Training.

Let me get this straight. Based on the 2007 season so far, you're saying that you think it's a pipedream that the Sox will be able to win even as many as 75 games for the next few seasons?

You think the Sox would give the likes of Rob Mackowiak as many as 373 at-bats (like he is projected in 2007) not out of misfortune but rather plain stupidity?
:o:

Yours is one of the most ridiculous statements I've read here in a long, long time.

Chicken Dinner
06-24-2007, 08:39 AM
I agree that's not a rotation that will contend next year, but it will be interesting to see what happens. We have all of Masset, Gio, and Floyd that could be inserted in the rotation next year. Not to mention Broadway soon, as well...

Could one of them be the one we send to Tampa for Crawford? Gio should be the untouchable, the others can go if we net a good return.

Masset is not a major league pitcher. 32.2 innings, 41 hits, 22 BB, and 27 runs. This guy is not good. Buehrle has pitched 93 innings and given up 35 runs, only 8 ahead of Masset. Masset is not the answer to anything.

California Sox
06-24-2007, 10:21 AM
Toronto wants to trade Rios? No ****? Why? Do they have a stable of rising young outfielders or something?

According to press reports they've been shopping him pretty much since they signed Wells to that huge contract. I think they're rationale is they can't pay both and they like Wells better. That said, I think they want the sun and the moon.

Brian26
06-24-2007, 11:40 AM

This is indeed feeling a lot like July 1997 (White Flag) or July 1998 (rumors of Ventura trade that didn't happen).

downstairs
06-24-2007, 12:14 PM

This is the one and only answer.

Its not "luck". (And, no, that's not what "law of averages" means). You can't predict it because we have no idea what is going to be done about our problems.

If things remain the same, then yeah- probably. We're a bad team as-is. Not unlucky. Bad.

2, 3, 4 good moves and we could be a World Series contender. A few bad or non-moves? We could be looking at a lot of 100-loss seasons.

That's why Kenny, Ozzie and the rest of 'em get paid...

Lip Man 1
06-24-2007, 01:25 PM
California:

Actually (and this is a bizarre 'pattern') it's the late 60's, late 70's, late 80's and late 90's.

Lip

russ99
06-24-2007, 01:27 PM

This also depends on how much Jerry's going to cut the payroll next season, since it's doubtful he'll shell out 95-100 million for a rebuilding/reloading team.

starboy0
06-24-2007, 05:48 PM

I agree. Keep Buerhle! I hope KW doesn't over-react and blow up the entire team.

Lip Man 1
06-24-2007, 07:32 PM
Based on Kenny's pre game comments today I fully expect he'll begin unloading folks (a LOT of them) very, very soon.

Lip

California Sox
06-24-2007, 07:46 PM
California:

Actually (and this is a bizarre 'pattern') it's the late 60's, late 70's, late 80's and late 90's.

Lip

Weird isn't it?

PKalltheway
06-24-2007, 08:52 PM
We were pretty crummy in 2004
Eh, the season was alright until Mags and Big Frank went down. A lot of people forget that we were in first place at the All Star Break in 2004. Then things went downhill in the second half. I really enjoyed watching Shingo that year, as well as watching Paulie tear the cover off the ball and flirt with the AL home run title.

As for 2008 though, it's so hard to tell. That will depend on whether or not the Sox resign Buehrle, and whether or not age will finally set in on Big Jim Thome. Personally, I think this team will be back to form in 2008.

getonbckthr
06-24-2007, 09:59 PM
This franchise is in a little trouble. Hopefully Kenny makes the right moves. I'm prepared and accepting a ****ty 08 and maybe even 09 knowing in the long run it will be for the best of the franchise.

Boondock Saint
06-24-2007, 10:40 PM
This team can rebuild quickly, hopefully. With free agency as rampant as it is, there's no reason to say that we can't be back in a year or two.

graham5
06-25-2007, 08:16 AM
What worries me most are Kenny Williams comments yesterday (Sunday). He said that he wants players who are Major League ready NOW, so that we can contend straight away.

Well, I'm sorry - but if we're going to do this properly there's no point in getting mediocre players who could play in the majors today, we need to get exceptional talent that is ready to play in the majors in '08 or '09.

If Kenny Williams goes down the route of trading away Dye and Buerhle for average talent just to save our 2007 win percentage then we could be in for quite a number of down seasons, not just this one.

Hitmen77
06-25-2007, 09:44 AM
It could be worse - the Sox could have signed Dye and Crede to contract extensions during this past offseason. At least they won't have $15 million/yr or more sunk into those now-questionnable players.

Flight #24
06-25-2007, 11:07 AM

This, IMO is the question that will rule the day. The farm is fairly barren of guys that you can realistically look at and say "contributes to a 2008 playoff team" (Fields not included, he's not on the farm anymore). The everyday lineup and bullpen look to have serious holes due to FA, proclivity for injury, and ineptitude.

However, there will be some guys available on the market that can turn things around in a hurry - but they won't come cheap.

Getting prospects for Dye and an SP (my preference would be Contreras or Javy but it'll probably be Buehrle) is a start. Assuming you get the right guys, that'll help but you'll still need core offensive guys if you want this to be a momentary dip. Kenny didn't dip into that well this past offseason, and it seemed like many other teams had "found money". If the Sox have the same but were holding it back rather than spend it on less than stellar guys, then they can use it this offseason and be right back in it next year. If they continue to cry cheap, then they'll have to develop core stars (or get lucky like Dye in 2006). To date, that has not been their forte and the farm isn't looking like it's going to do that anytime soon.

Zisk77
06-25-2007, 12:00 PM
Here'e what I would try to do if I was Kenny:

Build around some core talent don't gut the team. Trade for some prospects and maybe players to fill some holes now. Cut some payroll now and make a splash in free agency.

1) Core Starting Pitching Garland, Danks, Beurhle ... Yes re-sign him 5 yrs 15-17 mil he's worth it. Trade Jose to a contender for prospect save $ he still is effective but showing a dip in velocity. Package Vasquez and 2 goo minor league pitchers and another player for Carl Crawford....we may have to eat some of Javy's salary.

2. Trade Dye, Iguchi, Machowiak (like Terrero better and he's cheaper with potentially great upside), Pods, Cintron, and Hall if he is wanted. Maybe some of our bullpen guys like Mcdougal and Sisco if someone gets desperate. That decreases some more salary and will get the sox some value in prospects from a contender, while allowing us to get younger. If no one wants Hall bring him back next year if healthy.

3. Next year's free agents signings - Ichiro Suzuki and Luis Castillo. Bullpen help.

Are trades won't necessarily need to be for minor league prospects...if someon want to part with a quality bullpen arm or maybe a speedy 2nd baseman like Orlando Hudson that could.

4. Pick up Crede's Option. He has no trade value now. You can trade him next year by trade deadline for whatever we need or re-sign (I hope) if the operation is a complete success and move Fields to the Of ( I wouldn't trade him).

So our Line-up could look like this:

C Pierzynski and ?
1b Konerko
2b. Castillo
SS Uribe
3B Crede
Lf. Fields (back-p 3b and 1b)
Cf. Crawford
Rf Ichiro
Dh Thome

#1 Starter Beurhle
#2 starter Garland
#3 starter Danks
#4 & 5 sarter Massett, Floyd, Gonzalez, Russell, or someone we have traded for as a prospect or slavaged of the scrap heap ala Loaiza

Bench: Ozuna & Terrero and well see

Bull pen Jenks, Thornton, Logan, Aardsma maybe and someone from the minors that will emerge this year....?

That would improve team speed and defense as well as allow you to score in many different ways.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

RockJock07
06-25-2007, 03:19 PM
I think 08 will be better but moves MUST be made. The minor's is filled with lots of pitching prospects. Gio needs to be up here now, as does Sweeney. Everyone is saying the young kids aren't what the Sox thought they were....how do they know? Sweeney didn't play that often, he needs to be up here and playing everyday.

I think Ichiro would be great but they will have to overpay for him. The Sox need a SS so bad it's not even funny. I don't expect Konerko and Thome to be this bad two years in a row and couple that with some moves, I think this could be a playoff team.