PDA

View Full Version : So after today I just have one question...

ChiSoxIn06
06-23-2007, 07:53 PM
How the hell did we even win 29 games? I mean at one point we were 4 games over 500. Does anyone know if this team is on the verge of historic futility for offense? In my 20+ years of being a sox fan i can not remember a team that was this bad day in and day out. And yes i know that i asked 2 questions but jesus tap dancing christ when is enough is enough? If no changes are made (trade moves not just call ups and send downs) we will lose 100 games and hit .230 as a team, Book it.

JB98
06-23-2007, 07:55 PM
How the hell did we even win 29 games? I mean at one point we were 4 games over 500. Does anyone know if this team is on the verge of historic futility for offense? In my 20+ years of being a sox fan i can not remember a team that was this bad day in and day out. And yes i know that i asked 2 questions but jesus tap dancing christ when is enough is enough? If no changes are made (trade moves not just call ups and send downs) we will lose 100 games and hit .230 as a team, Book it.

How did we win 29 games? Well, you know how they say you can't win 'em all? You can't lose 'em all either.

Brian26
06-23-2007, 07:57 PM
How did we win 29 games? Well, you know how they say you can't win 'em all? You can't lose 'em all either.

Not to make excuses, but I seem to remember a lot of those wins prior to Erstad, Pods, Thome, Crede, Dye, and Ozuna being injured.

ChiSoxIn06
06-23-2007, 08:01 PM
are there at least some high ceiling players that are going to be in the draft next year (like an upton, verlander, etc) that the sox will be able to snag if they do wind up with a crappy record...i mean it has been a long ass time since they had a top 5 draft pick hasn't it?

JB98
06-23-2007, 08:05 PM
Not to make excuses, but I seem to remember a lot of those wins prior to Erstad, Pods, Thome, Crede, Dye, and Ozuna being injured.

It's a funny coincidence that this epic slide started the day Pablo broke his leg against Tampa Bay. We sure miss the spark he provided to the team.

UserNameBlank
06-23-2007, 08:10 PM
Sooner or later someone has to pick the team up.

Erstad wasn't providing much as a whole other than his glove in CF and some clutch RBIs.

Ozuna was exactly what he is and has been, a bench player that is at his best when he's not playing everyday. The loss of his speed hurt a little, but it's not as devasting as some people in the Sox organization (Hawk I'm looking at you) think it is.

Pods had a sub-standard year last year but we still won quite a bit in the first half with him at his worst. He helps, and he was off to a good start before his injury, but he's only a small piece of the larger puzzle.

Thome being out hurt, but PK and Dye didn't pick up him. Crede wasn't helping anything on offense.

If all these guys are healthy all season IMO there's no doubt we have a better record, but no starter on this team other than Thome has shown any signs of being at anywhere near the top of his game. There's no reason to think that we'd be serious contenders in the division if everyone had been healthy all year.

This team = garbage.

oeo
06-23-2007, 08:19 PM
Ozuna was exactly what he is and has been, a bench player that is at his best when he's not playing everyday. The loss of his speed hurt a little, but it's not as devasting as some people in the Sox organization (Hawk I'm looking at you) think it is.

How the hell do you know how much he meant to the team? I'm going to trust Hawk's word, he's around those guys everyday. I seem to remember Paulie saying that they were going to miss him after he was sent to the DL. That surprised the hell out of me and I think it showed how much he brought to the team, even when he was sitting on the bench. You don't know what goes on in the dugout and in the clubhouse, Hawk sees it everyday...I'll trust him when he says the team misses him. When it comes to judging talent, it's a whole different story, but simple things like this in which you can observe easily, I trust his word.

UserNameBlank
06-23-2007, 08:37 PM
How the hell do you know how much he meant to the team? I'm going to trust Hawk's word, he's around those guys everyday. I seem to remember Paulie saying that they were going to miss him after he was sent to the DL. That surprised the hell out of me and I think it showed how much he brought to the team, even when he was sitting on the bench. You don't know what goes on in the dugout and in the clubhouse, Hawk sees it everyday...I'll trust him when he says the team misses him. When it comes to judging talent, it's a whole different story, but simple things like this in which you can observe easily, I trust his word.
When he was a bench player in 2005 and 2006 he did very well, but only received 392 ABs combined.

This year he was playing almost every day and put up a line of .244/.280/.282/.562 in 78 AB's.

Ozuna is a great piece to have off the bench as a pinch runner/energy type of guy, and is a nice option as a starter every once in a while someone needs a break, but he's not an everyday player. We're missing a piece that would normally come off our bench and nothing more. Our team speed was still almost non-existant even when he was here.

DumpJerry
06-23-2007, 08:43 PM
ChiSoxIn06: I've been a Sox for 30+ years, so I've seen worse. Not that it makes life any easier.

UNB: Ozuna is the man. Just take our word for it.

Lip Man 1
06-23-2007, 09:25 PM
Maybe it was because the bullpen wasn't 0-7 for the month of June?

Lip

CLR01
06-23-2007, 09:57 PM
Ozuna is a great piece to have off the bench as a pinch runner/energy type of guy, and is a nice option as a starter every once in a while someone needs a break, but he's not an everyday player. We're missing a piece that would normally come off our bench and nothing more. Our team speed was still almost non-existant even when he was here.

You don't understand how important those 8 at-bats a week were. This team just can't function without Pablo. I thought it was Pods who was the man but I guess I was wrong.

soxwon
06-23-2007, 10:26 PM
Im so disgusted i packed away my Sox tshirts flags etc, and put them in the basement.
Ill take them out when we reach .500.
Im very pissed off at this team.

Iwritecode
06-24-2007, 12:02 AM

Hey, the last time the Sox had a team batting average of .230 they won the World Series. They were also known as the "hitless wonders". They're at .235 right now and falling. I think they can make it.

The 1910 Sox hold the record for lowest AL team batting average in MLB history at .212.

PaulDrake
06-24-2007, 12:07 AM
How the hell do you know how much he meant to the team? I'm going to trust Hawk's word, he's around those guys everyday. I seem to remember Paulie saying that they were going to miss him after he was sent to the DL. That surprised the hell out of me and I think it showed how much he brought to the team, even when he was sitting on the bench. You don't know what goes on in the dugout and in the clubhouse, Hawk sees it everyday...I'll trust him when he says the team misses him. When it comes to judging talent, it's a whole different story, but simple things like this in which you can observe easily, I trust his word. Losing Ozuna didn't cause the team to go 5-21 and look like the worst Sox team I've seen since Richard Nixon was President.

JB98
06-24-2007, 12:14 AM
Losing Ozuna didn't cause the team to go 5-21 and look like the worst Sox team I've seen since Richard Nixon was President.

Certainly not, but it was another chink in the armor.

ws05champs
06-24-2007, 12:17 AM
Hey, the last time the Sox had a team batting average of .230 they won the World Series. They were also known as the "hitless wonders". They're at .235 right now and falling.

Does that mean that if the average drops a little lower the Sox could be contenders?

chisoxfanatic
06-24-2007, 01:06 AM
Im so disgusted i packed away my Sox tshirts flags etc, and put them in the basement.
Ill take them out when we reach .500.
Im very pissed off at this team.
I just kissed my 2005 World Series Championship banner I have hanging in my bedroom this morning and felt a tear roll down my cheek.

TDog
06-24-2007, 01:27 AM
I just kissed my 2005 World Series Championship banner I have hanging in my bedroom this morning and felt a tear roll down my cheek.

When I wasn't much older than you are now and the Tito Landrum hit a home run that essentially ended the White Sox only chance to get to the World Series in my lifetime, I wish I had a two-year-old World Series Championship to kiss and console me.

Losing is a lot worse when you don't remember ever winning and you have reason to believe you never will.

Noneck
06-24-2007, 01:38 AM
You don't understand how important those 8 at-bats a week were. This team just can't function without Pablo. I thought it was Pods who was the man but I guess I was wrong.

And also his stellar defense skills .

spiffie
06-24-2007, 04:05 AM
How were we at one point over .500, and now fallen so far from that point:

Mike MacDougal: April ERA - 2.89 May/June ERA - 11.58
David Aardsma: April ERA - 1.72 May/June ERA - 10.29
Matt Thornton: May ERA - 0.90 April/June ERA - 11.12
Nick Massett: April ERA - 3.86 May/June ERA - 9.64
Andy Sicso: April ERA - 3.38 May ERA - 15.00
This bullpen is a shamlbes.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-24-2007, 08:31 AM
Losing Ozuna didn't cause the team to go 5-21 and look like the worst Sox team I've seen since Richard Nixon was President.

I guess you were dead in 1976, 1980, and 1989. Not even Christ Himself ever managed the trick you're claiming.

The hyperbole some people are willing to reach for is truly pathetic.

TommyJohn
06-24-2007, 09:17 AM
How were we at one point over .500, and now fallen so far from that point:

Mike MacDougal: April ERA - 2.89 May/June ERA - 11.58
David Aardsma: April ERA - 1.72 May/June ERA - 10.29
Matt Thornton: May ERA - 0.90 April/June ERA - 11.12
Nick Massett: April ERA - 3.86 May/June ERA - 9.64
Andy Sicso: April ERA - 3.38 May ERA - 15.00
This bullpen is a shamlbes.

Those numbers are unreal. Just how did EVERY single member of the bullpen
go into a complete nosedive at the same time?

Lip Man 1
06-24-2007, 01:32 PM
WS05:

"If it drops a little lower does that mean they'll be contenders."

Well they were in 1967. Check out the team batting average!

(That's what you can do with a lights-out pitching staff..)

Lip

TDog
06-24-2007, 03:40 PM
WS05:

"If it drops a little lower does that mean they'll be contenders."

Well they were in 1967. Check out the team batting average!

(That's what you can do with a lights-out pitching staff..)

Lip

But it the Sox only hit as many home runs the rest of this season as the 1908 Sox did the entire year, this the rest of the summer looks particularly bleak. That team averaged 28.3 wins for every home run, and one-third of their home runs came from Ed Walsh. They finished in third-place, 1.5 games out of first, not unlike the 1967 team that fell short at the end. They had 88 wins in a 154-game schedule and only hit three home runs. The team scored 30 runs fewer than the 1906 hitless wonders. That was some pitching in those days. The pitchers had to contribute to the offense -- that's how good the pitchers were.

Of course, that was almost 100 years ago. Mark Twain and Geronimo were still alive. Take Me Out to the Ballgame was just being written, and the Cubs were on their way to winning another World Series. They made it look so easy when they didn't have to go up against the White Sox.

Just as 1908 was a different era -- and no team in the 20th century ever hit fewer home runs despite the era -- 1967 was a long time ago with advantages for the pitchers and an abundance of available talent that no longer exist. A lot of people said it made baseball boring. I could go to the 1960s and enjoy the baseball, but I don't expect to ever see anything like it again.

WSox597
06-24-2007, 04:14 PM
You know, when you really think about Chicago professional baseball teams, both of them, they are an embarassment.

Over the years, time after time, year after year, nothing but disappointment. We had a bright shining moment in 2005, and already the truck is about to be backed up.

The Cubs haven't won the series since 1908, the Sox have never in their history been to the playoffs in two consecutive years.

The Cubs have made bad trade after bad trade, and lately it looks like the Sox are going to imitate that, and trade away the best pitcher they've had in 15 years. For prospects? I'll see your Bucholz and raise you Borchard and Reed.

It really is an embarassment to the fans of both teams. I will always be a White Sox fan, if they're not playing I'm not watching baseball. I really don't care what the Cubs do, I was just using them as an example. The only reason I even know that much, is because half of my family follow the Cubs.

Last year was even more of a disappointment to me than this year is turning out to be. Same team for the most part, misses the playoffs entirely after winning the World Series. Leave it to a Chicago team to do something like that, and then less than two years later be talking about White Flag, the sequel. Only in Chicago.

Blackhawks, last cup 1961. Most of this board's members weren't even a gleam in their father's eye in '61.

Bears, '85 and then nothing until this year's near miss.

Cubs, 1908. Enough said.

The Bulls run was the best sports story in 100 years in Chicago. Maybe they can have another run with some tweaking.

Oh well, it's been a good couple of years for White Sox fans. Looks like the good times are over for a while. "The Kids can play, part two" coming up.

The good thing is, the fans will stop showing up at the ballpark until the team gets better, thereby forcing ownership to do something about it. Unlike the other side of town, where you could turn the seats around and still sell out the park.

Guillen will leave, or get fired, and we'll get another manager NOBODY has ever heard of, like Bevington, or Manuel. But they work cheap!!

Hey, maybe after the Cardinals fire LaRussa we can get him back, since he and Jerry are 'so close'.

Sorry for the long-winded rant, but it's depressing to watch. The fundamentals are ignored, and that says the whole system is flawed. Most of our best players came from somewhere else, which also speaks to our farm system being less than stellar.

I hope it gets better.