PDA

View Full Version : Update On Arvia's Story..Buehrle Comments

Lip Man 1
06-23-2007, 07:07 PM
From White Sox.com... according to Mark he knows nothing about what Phil Arvia wrote today in the Daily Southtown.

So what is actually taking place, if anything, is anyone's guess.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070623&content_id=2044685&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Lip

Mod Edit: This is NOT the thread for discussing the potential trades. Please go to http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89467 to do that.

Scottiehaswheels
06-23-2007, 07:09 PM
Lots of spelling errors in that article for our local grammar guys to tackle.... The comment OG made was pretty funny though...

WhiteSox5187
06-23-2007, 08:40 PM
Re-signing Buerhle would be one bright spot in a dark season...it doesn't look good though.

Hitmen77
06-24-2007, 12:28 AM
Although Arvia is apparently completely wrong on his "source", he does bring up some good points in his article:

As an organization, they believe in winning with pitching and within a budget. They can't possibly believe they can get a pitching staff to be both better and cheaper without Buehrle.

....$15 million a year is the right number for Buehrle. It would make him the highest-paid player on the team (by $1 million, over Jim Thome), which he deserves to be based on tenure and production. But it would leave him a bit short of top pitching money in the majors, which lacking a Cy Young or a 20-win season, he hasn't earned.

We'll see what happens by July 31. I really want the Sox to keep Buehrle. But, if they are indeed stuck on only a 3-yr offer to him, then they may as well trade him by the trade deadline and get something more than a sandwich pick for him.

.....of course, it's going to be a P.R. fiasco the day they trade Buehrle. Do you think season ticket reps will be busy answering phone calls that day?

JB98
06-24-2007, 12:32 AM
Although Arvia is apparently completely wrong on his "source", he does bring up some good points in his article:

We'll see what happens by July 31. I really want the Sox to keep Buehrle. But, if they are indeed stuck on only a 3-yr offer to him, then they may as well trade him by the trade deadline and get something more than a sandwich pick for him.

.....of course, it's going to be a P.R. fiasco the day they trade Buehrle. Do you think season ticket reps will be busy answering phone calls that day?

Arvia is not necessarily wrong. Just because Mark was asked a question about negotiations does not mean he was candid in his response. I don't think Buehrle wants a lot written in the papers about his contract status.

There very well could be going something going on, but Buerhle is stating on the record that nothing is going on just so he doesn't have to answer the same goddamn question everyday. If that's the case, I don't blame Mark.

WhiteSox5187
06-24-2007, 12:34 AM

I think it makes sense to trade Buerhle if we're not going to re-sign him, that I can understand. I understand if Buerhle thinks "I could make a lot more than what the Sox want to give me." I understand that. But, at the same time to either just let him walk or not even attempt to re-sign him (or low-balling him like we did with Ventura) would piss me off to no ends.