PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Squeezed Our Melons 6/23/07 Postgame Thread

BeviBall!
06-23-2007, 04:28 PM
We got out Ozzie-balled (does anyone even remember what that means?). There can't be many more ways to lose ballgames... but if there are, rest assured these Sox will do it. Most likely tomorrow.

lowestofthelow
06-23-2007, 04:29 PM
In the words of Mike Ditka, " We might not win another game this season."

PatK
06-23-2007, 04:30 PM
Jenks was caught napping on that squeeze.

But I can't blame him- what cost us this game was Terrero trying to stretch that single into a double.

stl_sox_fan
06-23-2007, 04:30 PM
I hate to even think this, but with the way June is going, a 100 loss season is a possibility.

The Racehorse
06-23-2007, 04:31 PM
Great effort by Javy today & it's great to see Pods back in LF... other than that...
:puking:

BeviBall!
06-23-2007, 04:31 PM
I hate to even think this, but with the way June is going, a 100 loss season is a possibility.

This team will challenge Hawk's theory that everyone wins 60.

Kwrubac
06-23-2007, 04:32 PM
i'm just numb...I expect them to blow games in which they have less than a 6 run lead...this was a forgone conclusion, at least our bullpen didn't totally implode today, the offense was at missing like usual....

stl_sox_fan
06-23-2007, 04:33 PM
Great effort by Javy today & it's great to see Pods back in LF... other than that...
:puking:

I believe back to back quality starts for Mark and Javy. All for naught. They need to come up with more useless stat categories so I can start to feel better.

goon

Bobby needs to bring that pitch up and in.

Scottiehaswheels
If I hear our players complain about the Cub fan presence I'll just laugh... Just wait til they can hear crickets in September...

UserNameBlank
A win by KC tonight and we're only 1.5 games out of last place...

Wow this team is bad. Like, rotten fish bad.

WhiteSox5187
06-23-2007, 04:35 PM
Wow...was I the only one thinking of game three 2000 ALDS when that squeeze happened? This...this is a ninety loss team. We're just bad. There's no way around that. Just bad. Wow. It would take an act of God to finish .500, the only comfort is knowing that last time we got swept (which will probably happen tommorrow) we won the World Series the next year. But other than taht. Wow. This is just an epically bad team. It looks like the 1989 team could play circles around this team right now.

MrX
06-23-2007, 04:35 PM
Nice job by Javy.

As usual a lot of bad baseball but Terraro trying to turn that single into a double and getting thrown out by about 10 feet was a killer. Instead of 1st and 3rd with 1 out it was a runner at third with 2 outs.

Tragg
06-23-2007, 04:36 PM
Could some one give me the rationale for:

a)Taking the bat out of Uribe's hands in the 9th for Cintron when you're down 1 run. Uribe has home run power, and Cintron has pitcher's mound power.

b)Keeping Torrero and Gonzales up and young hitters with far more potential who could turn into something in AAA?

Dick Allen
06-23-2007, 04:36 PM
Blow up this ****ing team RIGHT ***ING NOW, KW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:angry::angry:

BeviBall!
06-23-2007, 04:37 PM
Wow this team is bad. Like, rotten fish bad.

Letter a team deteriorate just 20 months from a crown is completely unacceptable. The cupboard is bear down on the farm and we have a maximum of 5 players on the roster that actually look like they give a ****.

I should hire Everett to be an adviser because he was almost 100% correct in predicting this.

WhiteSox5187
06-23-2007, 04:38 PM
Could some one give me the rationale for:

a)Taking the bat out of Uribe's hands in the 9th for Cintron when you're down 1 run. Uribe has home run power, and Cintron has pitcher's mound power.

b)Keeping Torrero and Gonzales up and young hitters with far more potential who could turn into something in AAA?
You know, truth be told I'd rather have seen Uribe up there too. I never thought I would say that, but you never know, he could accidentally hit one into the stands. Cintron, not so much. Truth be told Uribe probably just would have gone down swinging at a pitch at his eyes and we would all be screaming "What's Uribe doing up there?" There are just no good options for this team. The good guys we had off the bench last year are now starters.

infohawk
06-23-2007, 04:38 PM
This team reeks something awful. The stench is unbearable. I sure hope that KW is just posturing when he seems to imply that there's enough talent here to turn this around once they get it going. This team has been on a down slide since the 2006 All-Star break. This is a bad, bad offensive team because, with few exceptions, they have a bunch of hackers with no plate discipline whatsoever. Right now, the only guys worth watching on offense are Thome, PK and Fields. I don't mind having a bad season knowing that the Sox can change the composition of the club next year because they don't have any bad contracts. What upsets me is that, right or wrong, it feels like the braintrust thinks that they can just ride this out. Sorry guys, I'm just ranting. I usually don't, but I guess I'm just growing impatient. It's still somewhat early for trades. I have faith in KW, but I guess I'll feel better once I see them bringing in some new pieces to get ready for next year.

pagansoxfan
06-23-2007, 04:39 PM
ive been watching the sox since i was three, and have never seen a more worthless piece of crap team like this. nuke this team now kw, and lay the framework for the dynasty!!!

Lip Man 1
06-23-2007, 04:41 PM
It's actually funny that practically every other team in baseball can do things like bunt, steal bases and so forth except the 'home run or nothing' White Sox.

Second time in a week a bunt has beaten them...think they'll learn something?

Nah...probably not.

I have to now agree. Blow it up Kenny...get rid of as many of these underachievers as possible. Get some balance in this damn lineup.

Lip

Woofer
I really have to stop spending so much time and money on this team, it really looks like they could just care less right now.

Boondock Saint
The good guys we had off the bench last year are now starters.

...and our starters are playing like they belong on the bench.

infohawk
06-23-2007, 04:42 PM
Nice job by Javy.

As usual a lot of bad baseball but Terraro trying to turn that single into a double and getting thrown out by about 10 feet was a killer. Instead of 1st and 3rd with 1 out it was a runner at third with 2 outs.
I heard Mark Grace talking about Terrerro during one of the national Fox broadcasts. He was with the D-Backs at the same time as Terrerro. Grace said that the guy has a tremendous amount of talent but too often made bad decisions during games. I think I now realize what he was referring too. Trying to take second showed a complete lack of awareness of the game situation.

WhiteSox5187
06-23-2007, 04:42 PM
ive been watching the sox since i was three, and have never seen a more worthless piece of crap team like this. nuke this team now kw, and lay the framework for the dynasty!!!
This team was supposed to be the framework for the dynasty...:(:

The guys I keep our Buerhle, Garland, Danks, AJ, Jenks, Paulie and Thome (and pray that Thome retires when his contract is up). Everyone else can go.

Scottiehaswheels
06-23-2007, 04:43 PM
Honestly I think Terrero was trying to draw the throw to second to give Fields, with his speed, a chance to score... Oh well

CLR01
06-23-2007, 04:43 PM
Podsednik saved us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JUribe1989
06-23-2007, 04:44 PM
The worst part is we can't even trade Dye now because he's hurt. Just another player who isn't worth a damn on this team and we can't even trade him.

chisoxmike
The guys I keep our Buerhle, Garland, Danks, AJ, Jenks, Paulie and Thome

My thinking as well.

SoxandtheCityTee

But I can't blame him- what cost us this game was Terrero trying to stretch that single into a double.

Yep. Chalk it up -- though you need a very big piece of chalk this season.

infohawk
06-23-2007, 04:45 PM
I really have to stop spending so much time and money on this team, it really looks like they could just care less right now.
I believe they care, but this just isn't a very good bunch of guys offensively. Too many hackers with no patience. The tremendous offensive numbers they put up during the first half last season was somewhat of a fluke, probably influenced by a freakishly high batting average with runners in scoring position. They have regressed to the mean with a vengeance. They may be better then they are playing now on offense, but still not good enough.

LITTLE NELL
06-23-2007, 04:46 PM
This team is horse**** right now but if you want bad get the highlight tape of the 1970 team. 68 and 69 rank right down there also.

WhiteSox5187
06-23-2007, 04:46 PM
My thinking as well.
I'm not so sure it's Kenny's though. He maybe thinking "Terrero, Mackowiak, Contereras and Javy. THat's a World Series winning combo right there."

WhiteSox5187
06-23-2007, 04:50 PM
This team is horse**** right now but if you want bad get the highlight tape of the 1970 team. 68 and 69 rank right down there also.
I wasn't alive for those teams, but I'm starting to wonder if the current Sox are as bad as these teams were. The worst team I was alive for was 1989 (I dont remember them though) but at least they would show signs of life. They could get hot (Wimpy had to shave his head cuz the Sox won eight in a row), this team...I don't think they could do that.

FloridaSox
06-23-2007, 04:51 PM
Blowing up this team is not easy...who among our position players has real trade value....Dye is going south in his contract year, Thome is showing his age and bad back, Tadihito has loss it, Crede it hurt, Uribe stinks, Pods is injury prone...maybe Paulie...but he is still the soul of team.

We have some pitchers who could bring value. Mark would offer up at least two blue chip prospects...but you cannot trade the whole staff. Right now SP is pretty much all we have. And our RPs (except Bobby) bring aboslutely nothing.

ViPeRx007
06-23-2007, 04:52 PM
Nice to see Javy show up only to be screwed in the end.

Another series lost but I feel a 20 game winning streak coming on!!

JB98
06-23-2007, 04:58 PM
Glad I didn't watch today. Glad I sold my tickets for tomorrow. This is an express elevator straight to hell. Even Jenks is losing games. It's hard to win when you only score one run everyday.

At least Pods got on a couple times and stole a bag. On second thought, **** it. What does it matter anyway?

It's Time
06-23-2007, 04:59 PM
Time for comic relief at this point. No need to stress out over this bunch of has beens and never will be's. Hawk appears ready to jump out of the booth and can't even spin this into anything positive.

95 losses are an absolute possibility. Brown bags at the Cell tomorrow.

Soxfest
06-23-2007, 05:01 PM
Sos

goon
06-23-2007, 05:01 PM
I'm not so sure it's Kenny's though. He maybe thinking "Terrero, Mackowiak, Contereras and Javy. THat's a World Series winning combo right there."

I sincerely doubt Kenny Williams thought for one second that Rob Mackowiak or Luis Terrero would be starting for the 2007 White Sox. He may have been gambling with the Erstad signing and relying on Podsednik to stay healthy, however, it seems fairly obvious that going into this season and next year, we were going to have to rebuild in some areas. Though, it also seemed like he didn't necessarily want to give up on 2007, so he made some relatively cheap deals with some vets and picked up some underachievers and if it didn't work out, he could make some moves before the trade deadline and in the offseason.

Did anyone really anticipate this team being this bad? I mean, the White Sox are the worst team in the league right now and have been for the past two months.

It's Time
06-23-2007, 05:03 PM
The sad part is that the BEST thing that can happen to this team right now is for the Cubs to paste the White Sox like 12-2 tomorrow and polish off the embarrassing/slap in the face sweep.

That would certainly put Kenny and the organization into full blow up mode.

It's Time.:mad:

WhiteSox5187
06-23-2007, 05:04 PM
I sincerely doubt Kenny Williams thought for one second that Rob Mackowiak or Luis Terrero would be starting for the 2007 White Sox. He may have been gambling with the Erstad signing and relying on Podsednik to stay healthy, however, it seems fairly obvious that going into this season and next year, we were going to have to rebuild in some areas. Though, it also seemed like he didn't necessarily want to give up on 2007, so he made some relatively cheap deals with some vets and picked up some underachievers and if it didn't work out, he could make some moves before the trade deadline and in the offseason.

Did anyone really anticipate this team being this bad? I mean, the White Sox are the worst team in the league right now and have been for the past two months.
I thought at WORST we could be mediocre...but this bad? No. Though with all the injuries we've sustained, why should it be a surprise? If someone had said "Where do you think your team will be if Thome, Pods, Erstad and JD all have spent time on the DL?" I would say "not in good shape."

Johnny Mostil
06-23-2007, 05:06 PM
Blowing up this team is not easy...who among our position players has real trade value....Dye is going south in his contract year, Thome is showing his age and bad back, Tadihito has loss it, Crede it hurt, Uribe stinks, Pods is injury prone...maybe Paulie...but he is still the soul of team.

We have some pitchers who could bring value. Mark would offer up at least two blue chip prospects...but you cannot trade the whole staff. Right now SP is pretty much all we have. And our RPs (except Bobby) bring aboslutely nothing.

Am I supposed to laugh over the absurdity of this or cry over the truth of it?

DickAllen72
06-23-2007, 05:07 PM

The guys I keep our Buerhle, Garland, Danks, AJ, Jenks, Paulie and Thome (and pray that Thome retires when his contract is up). Everyone else can go.
I wish Thome would waive his NTC so we can trade him before the deadline. I doubt if he would, but maybe they can pay him to do it.

goon
06-23-2007, 05:10 PM
I thought at WORST we could be mediocre...but this bad? No. Though with all the injuries we've sustained, why should it be a surprise? If someone had said "Where do you think your team will be if Thome, Pods, Erstad and JD all have spent time on the DL?" I would say "not in good shape."

Totally, I think a lot of Sox fans had this belief heading into the season.

Cellview22
06-23-2007, 05:10 PM
The sad part is that the BEST thing that can happen to this team right now is for the Cubs to paste the White Sox like 12-2 tomorrow and polish off the embarrassing/slap in the face sweep.

That would certainly put Kenny and the organization into full blow up mode.

It's Time.:mad:

Doubt that's gonna happen. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Sox get a win tomorrow. We're facing Marshall, and he hasn't been pitching very well. Gave up 3 HR in his last start and lasted 4 innings. Contreras isn't exactly dominating either but if he can get out of the first couple innings unscathed, our lineup might be able to do some damage against Marshall. No matter how bad things have gotten, it's always nice to see a win.. I'll take one tomorrow. Hate seeing us get swept!

ilsox7
06-23-2007, 05:11 PM
Honestly I think Terrero was trying to draw the throw to second to give Fields, with his speed, a chance to score... Oh well

If that's the case, then it was an even dumber move than trying to just take 2nd.

MarySwiss
06-23-2007, 05:12 PM
I'm one of the biggest Pollyannas around these parts, but honest to God, when Terrero pulled that baserunning blunder, I. Just. Knew.

ChiSoxFanatic, in yesterday's TBGR, shared her frustration. She bleeds silver and black. As does ChiSoxGirl, who will be recapping today's game.

And if I have to write about a Cubs sweep tomorrow (!)...
...it will NOT be pretty!!!:angry:

This team is embarrassing! WAKE UP, DAMMIT!!!!

goon

I don't know if Paul is the "soul" of this team, but he certainly is one of the best 1B in the entire league, he's just having a bad season... but he's not alone, NO ONE in the lineup is producing.

Carl Everett for Bench Coach.

Jerko
Well, at full strength, I thought the Sox would be a good team. We knew that Pods, Erstad, and Thome were risks. We didn't plan obviously on losing Ozuna; Uribe was a question mark with his off-field issues, and Joe's back finally gave out. Tad might have been ok if he just stayed in the 2-hole, AJ is AJ, Paulie is Paulie. Thornton and MacDougal were reliable, if not damn good, coming in to the season, and it all just went to **** so fast that it's not even the same team anymore. Many predicted JD would not have a season like last year, but nobody knew how far he'd fall. I think it's time to get PROFESSIONAL backups and not guys who can be plugged into multiple positions and we just pray they don't **** up. I never thought the Sox would have so many guys on this team that I hate watching, but as stated above, nobody knew Owens, Terrerible, Mack, Gonazlez or Cintron would be getting so much PT. Hopefully we can improve again as fast as we declined. Right now we're the worst team in baseball. BASEBALL, not just the league. We lost EVERY interleague series, and IIRC they were all to losing teams...........Awful. God awful. Just have to ride it out I guess.

Scottiehaswheels
06-23-2007, 05:15 PM
If that's the case, then it was an even dumber move than trying to just take 2nd.Why? It was obviously a hit and run.. Fields was past second before that ball even hit the turf... With his speed it should have been plenty of time... I think Razor held up Fields at third cuz he wasn't sure where the throw was headed... Luis took off for second to draw the throw there to try to give Josh a chance to score... Thats how I saw the play develop...

UserNameBlank
06-23-2007, 05:18 PM
What is this "far more potential" stuff? Anderson is basically another Terrero. The only difference is that Terrero is hitting ML pitching and Brian isn't hitting in Triple A.

Sweeney has more potential, and I think he sould be up, but at the expense of Pods/Erstad/Mackowiak.

Gonzalez is not blocking anyone. He's versatile and on the roster becuase the Ozzaroo wants to play Mack all the time.

ilsox7
06-23-2007, 05:18 PM
Why? It was obviously a hit and run.. Fields was past second before that ball even hit the turf... With his speed it should have been plenty of time... I think Razor held up Fields at third cuz he wasn't sure where the throw was headed... Luis took off for second to draw the throw there to try to give Josh a chance to score... Thats how I saw the play develop...

I don't think there was any way he scores on that play. And no one should expect him to. If that was seriously the thought process for going into 2nd, it's a bad, bad thought process. This team lacks fundamentals. That is an indictment of just about everyone, especially the coaching staff.

Scottiehaswheels
06-23-2007, 05:21 PM
I don't think there was any way he scores on that play. And no one should expect him to. If that was seriously the thought process for going into 2nd, it's a bad, bad thought process. This team lacks fundamentals. That is an indictment of just about everyone, especially the coaching staff.Fields was standing at third when the throw was coming into second...... 90ft is 4? seconds with Josh's speed... you really think 4 seconds isn't enough time for Josh to score when the 2B still has yet to receive the ball and apply a tag with his back to the infield? Honestly, if you recorded it, watch that play again... Maybe I was seeing things but I don't think so...

JB98
06-23-2007, 05:22 PM
I wish Thome would waive his NTC so we can trade him before the deadline. I doubt if he would, but maybe they can pay him to do it.

There are only a limited number of teams that would take JT. Eliminate the entire National League: He can't play first base everyday anymore.

Which AL contender needs a DH? Anaheim, Oakland and New York are the only potential trade partners with regard to JT.

ilsox7
06-23-2007, 05:23 PM
Fields was standing at third when the throw was coming into second...... 90ft is 4? seconds with Josh's speed... you really think 4 seconds isn't enough time for Josh to score when the 2B still has yet to receive the ball and apply a tag with his back to the infield?

The 2nd baseman would have taken the throw and immediately thrown home. He would not have applied a tag. Fields would have had half a baseline to go to beat a throw coming from 2nd. And all of that assumes Fields was moving toward home expecting Terrero to try for 2nd.

itsnotrequired
06-23-2007, 05:25 PM
Surprise, surprise, the offense fails to show when Vazquez pitches...again. 3 of his last 4 games have resulted in 1 or fewer runs scored by the offense.

Sig update time...

MarySwiss
06-23-2007, 05:26 PM
Why? It was obviously a hit and run.. Fields was past second before that ball even hit the turf... With his speed it should have been plenty of time... I think Razor held up Fields at third cuz he wasn't sure where the throw was headed... Luis took off for second to draw the throw there to try to give Josh a chance to score... Thats how I saw the play develop...

Actually, my first thought as the play unfolded was "hit and run." However, if that was the case, I think the blame has to fall on Razor for holding Josh up. You're right; he had a hell of a jump.

Regardless, this is just one more example of how dysfunctional this team is. IMO, they just don't seem--coaches, players, and manager--to be on the same page.

Scottiehaswheels
06-23-2007, 05:26 PM
The 2nd baseman would have taken the throw and immediately thrown home. He would not have applied a tag. Fields would have had half a baseline to go to beat a throw coming from 2nd. And all of that assumes Fields was moving toward home expecting Terrero to try for 2nd.Sorry, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one... I think he could have made it and given us the lead...

ilsox7
06-23-2007, 05:29 PM
Sorry, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one... I think he could have made it and given us the lead...

Yea, we'll agree to disagree. If Fields was moving at full speed and did not stop without a beat, it may have been close at the plate/he could have scored. But with one out and runners on the corners, I don't blame anyone but Louis for trying to get to 2nd and being out by 10 feet. I can't remember the last time I saw someone score from 1st on a single with a throw into 2nd. And while Fields may have some speed, he is not an absolute burner.

veeter
06-23-2007, 05:32 PM

The guys I keep our Buerhle, Garland, Danks, AJ, Jenks, Paulie and Thome (and pray that Thome retires when his contract is up). Everyone else can go.To me Thome can go with Mac, Cintron and Uribe.

Scottiehaswheels
06-23-2007, 05:33 PM
Yea, we'll agree to disagree. If Fields was moving at full speed and did not stop without a beat, it may have been close at the plate/he could have scored. But with one out and runners on the corners, I don't blame anyone but Louis for trying to get to 2nd and being out by 10 feet. I can't remember the last time I saw someone score from 1st on a single with a throw into 2nd. And while Fields may have some speed, he is not an absolute burner.I think you also have to look at the situation behind him... He has automatic out Uribe behind him... If we're gonna start scoring we have to make things happen.. I think that was an example of them trying to make something happen but Razor didn't get memo...

WSox597
06-23-2007, 05:33 PM
Carl Everett for Bench Coach

Screw that, Carl Everett for left fielder or DH. How could he do any worse than what we have out there?

As it turns out, Carl Everett, the dinosaur man himself, was a prophet. What a game this is. It will make you crazy sometimes. This is one of those times, sadly.

Life goes on, though. I agree that a sweep may be the best thing, maybe it will force some overdue moves. I just hope that they're the RIGHT moves.

I'd hate to see the Alomars come back again.

UserNameBlank
06-23-2007, 05:36 PM
Yea, we'll agree to disagree. If Fields was moving at full speed and did not stop without a beat, it may have been close at the plate/he could have scored. But with one out and runners on the corners, I don't blame anyone but Louis for trying to get to 2nd and being out by 10 feet. I can't remember the last time I saw someone score from 1st on a single with a throw into 2nd. And while Fields may have some speed, he is not an absolute burner.
Does it really matter? We scored one freaking run. A halfway decent team can absorb a baserunning mistake/miscommunication.

You guys can blame Terrero and Fields who weren't being counted on to produce but are doing their jobs. I'll blame the whole team. We had 6 hits and 4 walks, so we reached base 10 times yet scored only once. That's not going to get it done, ever.

ilsox7
06-23-2007, 05:38 PM
Does it really matter? We scored one freaking run. A halfway decent team can absorb a baserunning mistake/miscommunication.

You guys can blame Terrero and Fields who weren't being counted on to produce but are doing their jobs. I'll blame the whole team. We had 6 hits and 4 walks, so we reached base 10 times yet scored only once. That's not going to get it done, ever.

What are you talking about? We're simply discussing one play. Never did I say who was responsible for losing, nor did I say Terrero and Fields were accountable for this loss.

Scottiehaswheels
06-23-2007, 05:39 PM

You guys can blame Terrero and Fields who weren't being counted on to produce but are doing their jobs. I'll blame the whole team. We had 6 hits and 4 walks, so we reached base 10 times yet scored only once. That's not going to get it done, ever.I'm not blaming Josh or Luis... I think it was a potential miscommunication between the bench and Razor.. thats all

ilsox7
06-23-2007, 05:39 PM
I think you also have to look at the situation behind him... He has automatic out Uribe behind him... If we're gonna start scoring we have to make things happen.. I think that was an example of them trying to make something happen but Razor didn't get memo...

Again, I disagree. With a runner on 3rd and one out, you open up the possibility of a squeeze and only a fly ball scoring a run. Plus, Terrero has some speed and could try to steal 2nd instead of being out by 10 feet.

Scottiehaswheels
06-23-2007, 05:41 PM
Again, I disagree. With a runner on 3rd and one out, you open up the possibility of a squeeze and only a fly ball scoring a run. Plus, Terrero has some speed and could try to steal 2nd instead of being out by 10 feet.Thats also possible, but with our recent history of bunting I wouldn't count on it... I'd be more inclined to lean towards Juan GIDP or K'ing than I have faith in him hitting a fly ball deep enough to the outfield at this point... especially with Hill tossing that good curve...

UserNameBlank
06-23-2007, 05:43 PM
What are you talking about? We're simply discussing one play. Never did I say who was responsible for losing, nor did I say Terrero and Fields were accountable for this loss.

I'm not blaming Josh or Luis... I think it was a potential miscommunication between the bench and Razor.. thats all
Ahh, I see. My mistake.

Chicago
06-23-2007, 05:46 PM
maybe we should let our bullpen start the game and then bring our starters in to finish.

MarySwiss
06-23-2007, 05:47 PM
Thats also possible, but with our recent history of bunting I wouldn't count on it... I'd be more inclined to lean towards Juan GIDP or K'ing than I have faith in him hitting a fly ball deep enough to the outfield at this point...

The way we've been going, I don't think I'd have faith in Thome or Konerko hitting a deep fly ball in that situation, let alone Juan. And I cannot remember ever seeing him bunt, although I'm sure he must have (probably).

Whatever. As another poster said, one play should not have mattered. The sad thing is, it did.

TheOldRoman
06-23-2007, 05:47 PM
I should hire Everett to be an adviser because he was almost 100% correct in predicting this.
He was 100% wrong. He was scornful and upset that he wasn't brought back to win another championship. And don't think that the team on the field last year shouldn't have won. Did Carl predict that the starters would all have down years? That Garcia and Buehrle would be out of shape? Did he predict that Cotts would go from one of the best young relievers in baseball to garbage? Did he predict that the bullpen (other than Jenks and Thornton) would be terrible? That even after acquiring a very solid pitcher in Riske, he would suck? Did he predict that the powerful offense would completely shut down in the second half, in spite of an MVP season from Jermaine Dye? Bull****. Everett's comments are the same as the guy talking about the girl who dumped him "Dude, I am totally over her. She is an ugly slut anyways. I am too cool for her."
It's hard to win when you only score one run everyday.
Yeah, but we were facing Hill, who had the game of his career. He is the best second year pitcher you will ever see. It doesn't matter who you are, you couldn't hit Hill today. Oh, and it was cold, and it rained. If this game was played in 80 degrees and sun, the bats would have come around. Walkerball will come around any day now.

I didn't watch much of the game. I didn't see Terrero's mess up, but that did not cost us the game. Rich Hill doesn't have an ERA of 1. He should have been beaten, and thoroughly pounded. That was just one of the 5-6 runs that should have been scored on him.

Scottiehaswheels
06-23-2007, 05:48 PM
maybe we should let our bullpen start the game and then bring our starters in to finish.Hell at this point... instead of having our starters get their work in between games in the bullpen, throw em out there for an inning of relief... half teal

itsnotrequired
06-23-2007, 05:50 PM
Lots of lunatics calling into the postgame show today. I don't know how Ranger gets through it with a straight face.

JB98
06-23-2007, 05:55 PM
He was 100% wrong. He was scornful and upset that he wasn't brought back to win another championship. And don't think that the team on the field last year shouldn't have won. Did Carl predict that the starters would all have down years? That Garcia and Buehrle would be out of shape? Did he predict that Cotts would go from one of the best young relievers in baseball to garbage? Did he predict that the bullpen (other than Jenks and Thornton) would be terrible? That even after acquiring a very solid pitcher in Riske, he would suck? Did he predict that the powerful offense would completely shut down in the second half, in spite of an MVP season from Jermaine Dye? Bull****. Everett's comments are the same as the guy talking about the girl who dumped him "Dude, I am totally over her. She is an ugly slut anyways. I am too cool for her."

Yeah, but we were facing Hill, who had the game of his career. He is the best second year pitcher you will ever see. It doesn't matter who you are, you couldn't hit Hill today. Oh, and it was cold, and it rained. If this game was played in 80 degrees and sun, the bats would have come around. Walkerball will come around any day now.

I didn't watch much of the game. I didn't see Terrero's mess up, but that did not cost us the game. Rich Hill doesn't have an ERA of 1. He should have been beaten, and thoroughly pounded. That was just one of the 5-6 runs that should have been scored on him.

I don't think Rich Hill lasted more than four innings his last time out. Like most pitchers, he's Cy Young against the Sox.

JB98
06-23-2007, 05:56 PM
Lots of lunatics calling into the postgame show today. I don't know how Ranger gets through it with a straight face.

You mean people are still ranting and raving about these losses? Most rational people realized the Sox suck about two weeks ago. You just have to let it go and accept fate at this point.

Hopefully, this does not turn into a 100-loss embarrassment. It will certainly be 90 losses.

DickAllen72
06-23-2007, 05:57 PM
Amen! :thumbsup:

itsnotrequired
06-23-2007, 05:58 PM
I don't think Rich Hill lasted more than four innings his last time out. Like most pitchers, he's Cy Young against the Sox.

Hill is having a pretty good season. His last outing was only three innings but two outings before that, he went eight, giving up one run on only three hits. He went five innings in another game but every other start has been 6+ innings.

itsnotrequired
06-23-2007, 05:59 PM
You mean people are still ranting and raving about these losses? Most rational people realized the Sox suck about two weeks ago. You just have to let it go and accept fate at this point.

Hopefully, this does not turn into a 100-loss embarrassment. It will certainly be 90 losses.

One guy went off for almost a minute straight and then hung up. Ranger's response? "Man, stop yelling.":D:

Scottiehaswheels
06-23-2007, 06:01 PM
Hill is having a pretty good season. His last outing was only three innings but two outings before that, he went eight, giving up one run on only three hits. He went five innings in another game but every other start has been 6+ innings.You are sooooo Flubsessed!:D:

itsnotrequired
06-23-2007, 06:02 PM
You are sooooo Flubsessed!:D:

I am Yahoo-sessed.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7578/gamelog;_ylt=Ar6_p3ablDYnrgMYqUXF2V6FCLcF

JB98
06-23-2007, 06:05 PM
Hill is having a pretty good season. His last outing was only three innings but two outings before that, he went eight, giving up one run on only three hits. He went five innings in another game but every other start has been 6+ innings.

He had a lights-out month of April. He's been up and down since. Our hitters suck every single day regardless of who is on the mound, so that makes me reluctant to give credit to the opposing pitcher, even if they deserve it. Just about anyone could shut down the Sox lineup right now, IMO.

ilsox7
06-23-2007, 06:06 PM
He had a lights-out month of April. He's been up and down since. Our hitters suck every single day regardless of who is on the mound, so that makes me reluctant to give credit to the opposing pitcher, even if they deserve it. Just about anyone could shut down the Sox lineup right now, IMO.

Word is our BP pitcher threw ano-hitter yesterday . . .

TheOldRoman
06-23-2007, 06:08 PM
I don't think Rich Hill lasted more than four innings his last time out. Like most pitchers, he's Cy Young against the Sox.Well, you know, you just had to tip your cap to him today. If you put the 27 Yankees up against him, they would have scored 2 tops. You couldn't ask for any more from the offense. If the pitcher don't like it, get a shut out next time.

CLR01
06-23-2007, 06:10 PM
maybe we should let our bullpen start the game and then bring our starters in to finish.

Unfortunately, 5 runs in the first 3 innings is the same as 5 in the last 3. :(:

He gets paid to listen to them. I on the other hand show up here for free and I read the thoughts of those same lunatics. :mad:

:whiner:

Scottiehaswheels
06-23-2007, 06:13 PM
92 more to go....

itsnotrequired
06-23-2007, 06:13 PM
He gets paid to listen to them. I on the other hand show up here for free and I read the thoughts of those same lunatics. :mad:

:whiner:

You need to learn restraint. The powers of Spock compel you...

Scottiehaswheels
06-23-2007, 06:19 PM
Well, if you get sick of that, maybe uh tally the PTC count since May 6th? :cool:

CLR01
06-23-2007, 06:22 PM
You need to learn restraint. The powers of Spock compel you...

George Jettson is a high altitude pimp!

Well, if you get sick of that, maybe uh tally the PTC count since May 6th? :cool:

Who says it's not tallied?

CLR>>>>everyone else. I rode Ersty to the bank!

Scottiehaswheels
06-23-2007, 06:23 PM
Who says it's not tallied?

CLR>>>>everyone else. I rode Ersty to the bank!:rolleyes::gulp:

sox1970
06-23-2007, 06:25 PM

He's wrong with that saying too. It's you win 40. You lose 40. It's what you do with the other 82.

Chez
06-23-2007, 06:34 PM
Brown bags at the Cell tomorrow.

I wore mine in the bottom of the 9th today (Section 137)!

StillMissOzzie
06-23-2007, 06:46 PM
That's why I like the version where the worst teams win 1/3 (54 games), the best teams lose (1/3) (again, 54 games) and it's the 54 undecided that determine the champions. I think it's slightly more accurate.

It's couldn't care less. COULDN'T care less!

I'm one of the biggest Pollyannas around these parts, but honest to God, when Terrero pulled that baserunning blunder, I. Just. Knew.

Hey, if Mr. MarySwiss starts gloating and giving you grief, just turn to him and whisper those three little words that should make HIS face turn all red:
"Nineteen"
"Oh"
"Six"
And then, YOU take that motel room and watch the 3rd game w/o him!

Wow, two runs and nine hits. And that's the first TWO games put together!
All I want to know at this point, when does Hawk come out and say that this team is just not good, and abandons the "they're just in a funk" company line - right AFTER the truck has been backed up at the trading deadline?

SMO
:mad::angry::whiner:

itsnotrequired
06-23-2007, 06:48 PM
Hey, if Mr. MarySwiss starts gloating and giving you grief, just turn to him and whisper those three little words that should make HIS face turn all red:
"Nineteen"
"Oh"
"Six"

The banjo. Don't forget the banjo.

beckett21
06-23-2007, 06:50 PM

That is one of my pet peeves as well.

And yes, this team looks as if it couldn't possibly care less anymore. What a joke this season has become. :mad:

MarySwiss
06-23-2007, 06:55 PM

"Nineteen"
"Oh"
"Six"

SMO:

Give it up. Many people will never get the "could care" vs "couldn't care" distinction. And they're (not "their") probably the same ones who can't figure out that the reason they are "nauseated" is because something is "nauseous."

As for MrMarySwiss, trust me; his instinct for self-preservation is strong enough to make him keep his lip zipped tight at times such as this! :cool:

Besides, when was the last time he won three grand betting on the Cubs? Answer: never.

Edit: INR, my pet--I would never forget the banjo! Playing "MTA" on it over and over is about the only thing keeping me sane right now! (Hee-hee-hee!)

itsnotrequired
06-23-2007, 06:59 PM
Edit: INR, my pet--I would never forget the banjo! Playing "MTA" on it over and over is about the only thing keeping me sane right now! (Hee-hee-hee!)

My water dish is empty.

MarySwiss
06-23-2007, 07:03 PM
My water dish is empty.

Awww, sorry for referring to you as "my pet," my sweet. It was meant affectionately. :wink:

Let's try this: "INR, little piranha... etc."

Soxman219
06-23-2007, 07:04 PM
How many great pitching performances are going to get wasted?! How does a team two years removed from the WS go to be the worst team in baseball! I hope the Royals gain 4th place so the Sox can get 5th like they deserve. Since the ASB in 2006, the W.Sox are the worst team in baseball. Hawk is just 4 losses away from exploding in the booth. I hate ranting against the Sox but there's nothing to say positive about them. If we get swept by the Cubs, I'm going to be p*ssed!:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

-----------------------------------------------------

Toast to 2005! :gulp:

Brian26
06-23-2007, 08:35 PM

I love Hawk, but I heard Tommy Lasorda use that phrase 20 years ago, and I'm sure even he didn't invent it.

Brian26
06-23-2007, 08:37 PM

The fact that Cintron continues to get pinch-hit opportunities in huge situations is a joke. I can't blame Ozzie because the injuries have decimated the bench, but I can't understand the love for Cintron right now at all.

Brian26
06-23-2007, 08:39 PM
I have to now agree. Blow it up Kenny...get rid of as many of these underachievers as possible. Get some balance in this damn lineup.

Lip

Is it possible that guys lose the fire once they win a ring?

Brian26
06-23-2007, 08:40 PM

Agree with you except for Thome. He's a great guy, but I was worred about him in the 2nd half last year. His bat speed has slowed, and his ability to hit lefties continues to be suspect. I'm frustrated seeing him ground out to short-right field every other at-bat.

Brian26
06-23-2007, 08:42 PM

:gulp:

Brian26
06-23-2007, 08:44 PM
I don't know if Paul is the "soul" of this team, but he certainly is one of the best 1B in the entire league, he's just having a bad season... but he's not alone, NO ONE in the lineup is producing.

Seriously, I'm all for this. Everett earned my respect when he told the guys in '05 to turn off the tv's and get to work.

itsnotrequired
06-23-2007, 08:46 PM
How many great pitching performances are going to get wasted?! How does a team two years removed from the WS go to be the worst team in baseball! I hope the Royals gain 4th place so the Sox can get 5th like they deserve. Since the ASB in 2006, the W.Sox are the worst team in baseball. Hawk is just 4 losses away from exploding in the booth. I hate ranting against the Sox but there's nothing to say positive about them. If we get swept by the Cubs, I'm going to be p*ssed!:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

-----------------------------------------------------

Toast to 2005! :gulp:

False.

Brian26
06-23-2007, 08:48 PM
If we get swept by the Cubs, I'm going to be p*ssed!:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

As if a win tomorrow makes it all better.

Johnnydogs
06-23-2007, 08:52 PM

Last time out was Hill's shortest outing of the year (I know because he's on one of my fantasy teams). Hill is a very good pitcher who has beaten some quality teams this year; coming into the game he had a 3.22 ERA, 1.04 WHIP, and .205 BAA. His two worst starts were against SD. Having said that, Luis was being overly aggressive because Hill, like most pitchers, is vulnerable early in the game. The Sox might have been able to score but there's no guarantee. He may have struck out the next two batters. I do know that we can't expect this team to do much with one run and a gascan bullpen.

DrCrawdad
06-23-2007, 09:45 PM

Losing 4 of 6 to the Cubbies is one (bad) thing. Getting swept is another altogether.

Sox win tomorrow. Brewers win tomorrow. Then the Cubbies will have lost ground this weekend.

GO BREWERS!

salty99
06-23-2007, 10:03 PM
Just think, the series next weekend at KC will be for last place!!! There is light at the end of the tunnel!

CLR01
06-23-2007, 10:10 PM
False.

62-82. Add the words one of and it is true.

chisoxmike
06-23-2007, 10:19 PM
False.

True.

Maybe not the worst, but one of them.

ChiSoxGirl
06-23-2007, 11:13 PM

ChiSoxFanatic, in yesterday's TBGR, shared her frustration. She bleeds silver and black. As does ChiSoxGirl, who will be recapping today's game.

This team is embarrassing! WAKE UP, DAMMIT!!!!

*sigh!* Another losing TBGR. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/../rwas/index.php?category=4&id=3412) :whiner:

mwc44
06-23-2007, 11:15 PM
In the words of Mike Ditka, " We might not win another game this season."

Exactly!

RadioheadRocks
06-23-2007, 11:17 PM

At this point I'll settle for somewhat better.

Vernam
06-23-2007, 11:18 PM
I sincerely doubt Kenny Williams thought for one second that Rob Mackowiak or Luis Terrero would be starting for the 2007 White Sox. He may have been gambling with the Erstad signing and relying on Podsednik to stay healthy, however, it seems fairly obvious that going into this season and next year, we were going to have to rebuild in some areas. Though, it also seemed like he didn't necessarily want to give up on 2007, so he made some relatively cheap deals with some vets and picked up some underachievers and if it didn't work out, he could make some moves before the trade deadline and in the offseason.Good analysis, and I do think the fact that so many of these guys will be free agents next year is the sole bright spot this season. (Excluding, Buehrle, obviously.)

If Phil Rogers had his way, then Dye, Crede, and Iguchi all would have been locked up with long-term deals. Thank god that didn't happen. KW deserves his share of the blame for this year, but no one (except maybe Baseball Prospectus, though I hate to say it) saw this disaster coming. At least he'll have a lot of payroll flexibility next year and should at least get good draft picks as compensation if the pending free agents don't get traded.

Where he can be second-guessed, though, is that in hindsight it would have been smart to trade Dye and/or Crede after last year. But virtually no one on this forum, including me, was advocating that. It's a shame that their trade value has slipped so far, but the people who whined that we didn't get enough for Garcia would have gone bonkers if we'd traded those other guys in the off-season -- it would've been viewed as a salary dump.

This team might go down as the worst team ever with the best starting pitching staff. I can't think of one even close. With five starters as solid as ours, playing close to .500 should be a snap. That shows how off-the-charts bad our hitters and bullpen have been.

Vernam

kitekrazy
06-23-2007, 11:41 PM
Good analysis, and I do think the fact that so many of these guys will be free agents next year is the sole bright spot this season. (Excluding, Buehrle, obviously.)

If Phil Rogers had his way, then Dye, Crede, and Iguchi all would have been locked up with long-term deals. Thank god that didn't happen. KW deserves his share of the blame for this year, but no one (except maybe Baseball Prospectus, though I hate to say it) saw this disaster coming. At least he'll have a lot of payroll flexibility next year and should at least get good draft picks as compensation if the pending free agents don't get traded.

Where he can be second-guessed, though, is that in hindsight it would have been smart to trade Dye and/or Crede after last year. But virtually no one on this forum, including me, was advocating that. It's a shame that their trade value has slipped so far, but the people who whined that we didn't get enough for Garcia would have gone bonkers if we'd traded those other guys in the off-season -- it would've been viewed as a salary dump.

This team might go down as the worst team ever with the best starting pitching staff. I can't think of one even close. With five starters as solid as ours, playing close to .500 should be a snap. That shows how off-the-charts bad our hitters and bullpen have been.

Vernam

Too bad baseball has guaranteed contracts. In some ways I can understand why Reinsdorf doesn't like long term deals.

SoxFan78
06-24-2007, 08:12 AM
In all of my years going to these Cubs/Sox games I have never heard a more pro-cubs crowd then yesterday. It was pitiful. But what could Sox fans do? Other then the 1st inning and the occasional Javy strike out there was nothing to cheer about. I don't know how this squad got so bad, but its worse then anything I could comprehend.

Hopefully after today they will be 2-4 for the homestand that featured NL powerhouses Marlins and Cubs.