PDA

View Full Version : Arvia Column / Story..Buehrle Update

Lip Man 1
06-23-2007, 01:16 PM
Take it for what it's worth:

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/sports/arvia/440546,231ARD1.article

Some points certainly sound encouraging but we'll have to see what actually happens.

Lip

areilly
06-23-2007, 01:28 PM
Take it for what it's worth:

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/sports/arvia/440546,231ARD1.article

Some points certainly sound encouraging but we'll have to see what actually happens.

Lip

I don't keep too close an eye on contracts, but has there ever really been a "market correction" where player salaries are concerned? The closest I've ever seen is just a long-term stagnation and a longer gap between insane dollar amounts.

Lip Man 1
06-23-2007, 01:34 PM
There was a 'market correction' for three years in the mid 80's. The courts ruled it was collusion and the owners paid dearly for it in monetary penalties.

Kenny is the only person connected with baseball to have said that he thinks the market will correct itself this off season. Maybe he knows something that others don't but I find it hard to fathom with potential guys like Jones, Buehrle, Dye, Ichiro, Zambrano on the market that it'll be going down.

Lip

Fenway
06-23-2007, 01:44 PM
There was a 'market correction' for three years in the mid 80's. The courts ruled it was collusion and the owners paid dearly for it in monetary penalties.

Kenny is the only person connected with baseball to have said that he thinks the market will correct itself this off season. Maybe he knows something that others don't but I find it hard to fathom with potential guys like Jones, Buehrle, Dye, Ichiro, Zambrano on the market that it'll be going down.

Lip

Especially when the Mets and Yankees need pitching.

Boras is hinting A-Rod might get $30M from someone. It isn't going down

Daver
06-23-2007, 01:51 PM

Lip

The owners merely paid simple damages, as opposed to the treble damages they should have paid, because of MLB's anti trust exemption.

ilsox7
06-23-2007, 02:05 PM
I don't keep too close an eye on contracts, but has there ever really been a "market correction" where player salaries are concerned? The closest I've ever seen is just a long-term stagnation and a longer gap between insane dollar amounts.

Considering the contracts that were given to the likes of Hampton, ARod, and Neagle a few years back, I'd say the top of the market certainly corrected itself.

Lip Man 1
06-23-2007, 04:47 PM
Daver:

Didn't even 'simple damages' amount to millions and millions of dollars awarded to guys like Raines, Fisk, Morris, Gibson, Parrish and so forth as "compensation?"

Lip

Daver
06-23-2007, 04:51 PM
Daver:

Didn't even 'simple damages' amount to millions and millions of dollars awarded to guys like Raines, Fisk, Morris, Gibson, Parrish and so forth as "compensation?"

Lip

I don't remember the actual number of the total, but it was well over three hundred million. It was the reason MLB chose to expand, they used the millions charged for franchise fees to pay off the settlement.

Grzegorz
06-23-2007, 05:05 PM
I don't remember the actual number of the total, but it was well over three hundred million. It was the reason MLB chose to expand, they used the millions charged for franchise fees to pay off the settlement.

Brilliant; I never approached the collusion issue from that angle.

Lip Man 1
06-23-2007, 07:04 PM
Daver:

Just checked on this in the book The Lords Of The Realm and you are correct on both points.

My God if you think about it had the courts authorized triple damages, some teams probably would have folded. We're talking about nine hundred million dollars in mid 80's value!!!!!

Lip

Daver
06-23-2007, 08:38 PM
Daver:

Just checked on this in the book The Lords Of The Realm and you are correct on both points.

My God if you think about it had the courts authorized triple damages, some teams probably would have folded. We're talking about nine hundred million dollars in mid 80's value!!!!!

Lip

The teams weren't on the hook for the money, the league was. MLB could have filed for bankruptcy to get relief from the debt, but that would have meant opening the books of every franchise in court to see what each member of the league's financial standing was. Expanding, and limiting the the shared income of the new franchises was a much more attractive solution for the owners.