PDA

View Full Version : Kyle McCulloch

sox1970
06-22-2007, 10:17 PM
McCulloch threw his 9th consecutive quality start tonight.

8 innings, 2 hits, 0 runs, 0 BB, 9 K's

Safe to say this is his best outing as a professional.

Over the last 9 outings:

4-3, 2.17 ERA
58 innings
50 hits
13 walks
48 strikeouts

jabrch
06-23-2007, 09:47 AM
Where is the mob *****ing about Kyle and Lance these days?

California Sox
06-23-2007, 11:39 AM
Where is the mob *****ing about Kyle and Lance these days?

Ah, Broadway got hammered tonight. I'm happy for McCulloch. Hopefully he can do it at higher levels too. An experienced pitcher with good offspeed stuff is expected to do well in A ball.

jabrch
06-23-2007, 02:04 PM
Ah, Broadway got hammered tonight. I'm happy for McCulloch. Hopefully he can do it at higher levels too. An experienced pitcher with good offspeed stuff is expected to do well in A ball.

a 3.53 ERA in 14 starts is pretty good. Yeah, he gave up 5 runs yesterday, but he had been solid.

I'd like to see these guys pitch more in high levels before damning them with that low ceiling tag.

Cal - you obviously know a ton more and follow minor league stuff a ton more than I do, I have no problem admitting that. I just hate the fact that some people's tag of "low ceiling" gets applied to these guys and they are looked at negatively by some people who haven't even seen them pitch.

California Sox
06-23-2007, 02:31 PM
I just hate the fact that some people's tag of "low ceiling" gets applied to these guys and they are looked at negatively by some people who haven't even seen them pitch.

That's a fair beef. I've seen Broadway, but not McCulloch, so I'll reserve judgment. I'm planning on going down there in the next few weeks. Hopefully I'll catch him.

By the way, I hope you're right about both these guys. I'd love nothing more than if they turned into Brad Radke and Mike Mussina. Everything I've read just leads me to believe that's not the way they're perceived by people who know a heck of a lot more than I do.

jabrch
06-23-2007, 02:37 PM
That's a fair beef. I've seen Broadway, but not McCulloch, so I'll reserve judgment. I'm planning on going down there in the next few weeks. Hopefully I'll catch him.

By the way, I hope you're right about both these guys. I'd love nothing more than if they turned into Brad Radke and Mike Mussina. Everything I've read just leads me to believe that's not the way they're perceived by people who know a heck of a lot more than I do.

And just to make it clear - I appreciate your input quite a bit. I learn a ton from your posts about some of these guys. My beef isn't with you. I know you have seen these guys and can draw conclusions on them. There are a lot of people who spew that "low ceiling" or "signability" thing about both of these guys, and Poreda, who know far less about them than you do.

I want to see Lance and Kyle move up and continue to have success. I'd like to see Harrell, Egbert, Gio, etc. do it more at more advanced levels, eventually doing it here in Chicago. I just see no reason why people are so down on the pitching in our farm.

California Sox
06-23-2007, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the kind words but I actually don't know as much as a lot of guys on this board. To me the guys who I look to are rdivaldi and randar and maurice.

jabrch
06-23-2007, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the kind words but I actually don't know as much as a lot of guys on this board. To me the guys who I look to are rdivaldi and randar and maurice.

Agreed - Those are other guys on my list...

You are the one who puts up the stats on these guys most...

UserNameBlank
06-24-2007, 09:34 PM
Kyle needs to get out of W-S. I don't know what he has left to prove there.

I also have no idea why Gio is still in Birmingham right now. Vladimir Nunez is stinking up the place in the rotation, Phillips and Haeger aren't in the long-term plans (or at least they shouldn't be), and the Sox most likely will need another starter next year if not by the deadline so Floyd will probably come up and open another spot. Gio should be up there IMO.

Randar68
06-25-2007, 12:51 PM
Kyle needs to get out of W-S. I don't know what he has left to prove there.

I also have no idea why Gio is still in Birmingham right now. Vladimir Nunez is stinking up the place in the rotation, Phillips and Haeger aren't in the long-term plans (or at least they shouldn't be), and the Sox most likely will need another starter next year if not by the deadline so Floyd will probably come up and open another spot. Gio should be up there IMO.

Gio should be in the Big League bullpen, IMO.

upperdeckusc
06-25-2007, 12:59 PM
Gio should be in the Big League bullpen, IMO.

he's a starter, and he's young. don't mess with his head like that. let him keep being successful, and bring him up to AAA if floyd comes up here. he'll be with us and in the rotation soon enuf. on the other hand you might be on to something since the transition from starter to bullpen has done wonders with mccarthy and masset...:rolleyes:

SoxxoS
06-25-2007, 01:16 PM
he's a starter, and he's young. don't mess with his head like that. let him keep being successful, and bring him up to AAA if floyd comes up here. he'll be with us and in the rotation soon enuf. on the other hand you might be on to something since the transition from starter to bullpen has done wonders with mccarthy and masset...:rolleyes:

Nothing like a hasty generalization to make a point.

First off, Masset isnt very good, and McCarthy had other outstanding issues. He is a full time starter in Texas now, so now what is his excuse?

And if we are going to make generalizations, what about how working in the bullpen before being a starter worked for Liriano, Santana and Buehrle?

Randar68
06-25-2007, 03:04 PM

:whoflungpoo

Getting their feet wet in the bullpen is a great way to get a young pitcher some big league experience before transitioning them to the rotation full-time. They just need some kind of regular schedule. Give them 2-3 innings when needed on a bi-weekly basis and bring him along.

Can he be worse than what's in the pen now?

rdivaldi
06-27-2007, 10:42 PM
Make that 10 quality starts in a row. The only negative was 5 BB and only 1 K.

7 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 5 BB, 1 K

rdivaldi
07-02-2007, 09:32 PM
Ugh, not a good night tonight for Kyle. Got hammered by the Tribe's minor league affiliate.

5 IP, 10 H, 8 ER, 3 BB, 2 K, 1 HRA

RowanDye
07-02-2007, 10:10 PM
I'd like to see these guys pitch more in high levels before damning them with that low ceiling tag.

And if we are going to make generalizations, what about how working in the bullpen before being a starter worked for Liriano, Santana and Buehrle?

I was a little too young to follow Mark in the minors.

I've always wondered though how he was perceived coming up through the system.

It seems being such a late draft pick he would have been labeled as a "low-ceiling" guy similar to Broadway and McCulloch.

Is that accurate?

sox1970
07-02-2007, 10:15 PM

It seems being such a late draft pick he would have been labeled as a "low-ceiling" guy similar to Broadway and McCulloch.

Is that accurate?

Buehrle wasn't in the minors long at all. He was draft and follow in 1998, which means he went back to junior college for the 1999 season, and started his pro career in June of 99. 2000, he was invited to spring training, and opened some eyes. He went AA for a few months, and was called up in July, 2000.

rdivaldi
07-02-2007, 10:29 PM
Buehrle wasn't in the minors long at all. He was draft and follow in 1998, which means he went back to junior college for the 1999 season, and started his pro career in June of 99. 2000, he was invited to spring training, and opened some eyes. He went AA for a few months, and was called up in July, 2000.

Very true. Even though he didn't put up great numbers in 1999, he was still rated #10 in our BA prospect report in 2000. That's a little bit of respect but also a commentary about the state of our farm system at that point in time.

California Sox
07-03-2007, 10:07 AM

Is that accurate?

I think I mentioned this in another thread, but I'll restate it here. Mark was a draft and follow who received a significant bonus to sign. He was not a "come out of nowhere" 38th rounder.

Plus, the difference is he's a leftie. Baseball history is loaded with successful soft-tossing lefties. The number of effective right-handed starters whose best pitch is a straight change, like McCulloch, is very small.

But one bad outing, plus, Cleveland tends to move their college position players through their system very slowly. Kinston is usually like a Double A team in terms of age and experience, so it's understandable. (Gotta say, I wish we had signed Wes Hodges, though.)