PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent Carlos Zambrano

Viva Medias B's
06-22-2007, 08:39 PM
If the White Sox fail to re-sign Mark Buehrle, should they sign Carlos Zambrano instead (provided the Cubs fail to re-sign him)? Just a gauge poll here. For the record, I think the White Sox should to all out to sign Buehrle before thinking of going in this direction.

WLL1855
06-22-2007, 08:42 PM
No. Simply for the reason that Crazy will command more money that Mark will. If we aren't willing to commit to Mark, then we sure won't commit to Zambrano.

sox1970
06-22-2007, 08:45 PM
This is pointless because Buehrle will be gone due to the length of the contract. Do you honestly think either will get less than 5 years?

WhiteSox5187
06-22-2007, 09:43 PM
If in an ideal world you could get Zambrano to take the offer that Buerhle would have concievably turned down, then I think it would be worth it. But Zambrano is going to command way more money and could be looking at a Zito type contract and I don't want to give out a Zito type deal to anyone.

cleanwsox
06-22-2007, 10:12 PM
A Zambrano - AJ battery? :o:

No thanks.

DickAllen72
06-22-2007, 10:20 PM

No thanks.
Yes please! :gulp:

SOXSINCE'70
06-22-2007, 10:41 PM
ZamBozo over Burly-Mon??

No ****ing way!!:angry::angry:

Viva Medias B's
06-22-2007, 10:48 PM

No thanks.

Well, per the McDonald's commercials, they live in the same house and sleep in their uniforms. So maybe they would make good battery-mates. :tongue:

JB98
06-22-2007, 11:13 PM
If we can't afford Buerhle, we can't afford Zambrano.

I'd stick with Buerhle because he is the leader of our pitching staff. He's been with us for seven years and has the respect of his teammates. Zambrano has the dominant stuff, but he's very volatile and not a leader by any stretch of the imagination.

Boondock Saint
06-22-2007, 11:19 PM
I don't want him. He's got good stuff, but he's a headcase. He's got a stupid temper that gets him in trouble all the time, and as soon a guy gets on base he starts having trouble with his control.

peeonwrigley
06-22-2007, 11:36 PM
If we can't afford Buerhle, we can't afford Zambrano.

I'd stick with Buerhle because he is the leader of our pitching staff. He's been with us for seven years and has the respect of his teammates. Zambrano has the dominant stuff, but he's very volatile and not a leader by any stretch of the imagination.

Agree with all your points. To pile on one could speculate that Big Z may be more injury prone due to his pitching style, although that is just pure speculation.

But if Jerry's paying, I'll take 'em both.

valkyrie
06-22-2007, 11:49 PM
I would die of happiness if the Sox got Zambrano. I love him. It might be awkward at first, but eventually he and AJ would be pals.

Viva Medias B's
06-23-2007, 12:16 AM
Agree with all your points. To pile on one could speculate that Big Z may be more injury prone due to his pitching style, although that is just pure speculation.

But if Jerry's paying, I'll take 'em both.

:reinsy
"You want me to pay for both Buehrle and Zambrano too???"

chisoxfanatic
06-23-2007, 12:36 AM
We don't need any headcases on this team. Absolotely not!

MRM
06-23-2007, 01:32 AM
If the White Sox fail to re-sign Mark Buehrle, should they sign Carlos Zambrano instead

Is this supposed to be a serious question? Exactly which White Sox fan do you think would give the answer "Zambrano"?

Nellie_Fox
06-23-2007, 02:19 AM
Is this supposed to be a serious question? Exactly which White Sox fan do you think would give the answer "Zambrano"?The question wasn't "should the Sox sign Zambrano instead of Buehrle," it was "if the Sox can't sign Buehrle, should they go after Zambrano?" It's a serious question. Don't try to pick fights.

MRM
06-23-2007, 02:29 AM
The question wasn't "should the Sox sign Zambrano instead of Buehrle," it was "if the Sox can't sign Buehrle, should they go after Zambrano?" It's a serious question. Don't try to pick fights.

How is it POSSIBLE that they can't sign MB but they COULD sign Z? I'm not "picking a fight", I'm stating the obvious.

Nellie_Fox
06-23-2007, 02:36 AM
How is it POSSIBLE that they can't sign MB but they COULD sign Z? I'm not "picking a fight", I'm stating the obvious.It's the way you state it that gets everybody pissed at you, dude.

You're asking a different question now. The word is that Buehrle wants five years; the Sox don't give five years to pitchers. We have no idea what Zambrano wants.

Here is the question of the thread, restated. Assume that the Sox have tried, and failed, for WHATEVER REASON, to sign Buehrle, should they pursue Zambrano? I think it's a pretty straight-forward question. Instead of arguing with the premise, address the question.

MRM
06-23-2007, 03:31 AM
It's the way you state it that gets everybody pissed at you, dude.

You're asking a different question now. The word is that Buehrle wants five years; the Sox don't give five years to pitchers. We have no idea what Zambrano wants.

Here is the question of the thread, restated. Assume that the Sox have tried, and failed, for WHATEVER REASON, to sign Buehrle, should they pursue Zambrano? I think it's a pretty straight-forward question. Instead of arguing with the premise, address the question.

I don't care if people get pissed at me. Let's get that outta the way right up front.

ROFL if you think Z doesn't wan't similar years...The Cubs deal was almost DONE at 5 years when the trib was sold. I think he have a pretty good idea what he wants.

To "address the question" (Which I've done many times in other threads) the answer is HELL NO. You don't give huge money to a mentally unstable person. I don't care what their ERA is.

Railsplitter
06-23-2007, 08:43 AM
Yes! it'll help the Sox and hurt to Cubs to get thier best pitcher.

balke
06-23-2007, 08:49 AM
Just what we need, another head case to hangout with Jose Contreras. Just say no to Zambozo.

hose
06-23-2007, 08:50 AM
I would sign Zambrano and make him the DH on the days he isn't pitching.

He is batting .273 which puts him 65 points higher then our best hitter.:mad:

DumpJerry
06-23-2007, 08:55 AM
I say sign 'em both. I'm serious. The Z-man will be cool as long as Ozzie is here. After watching what Z did our lineup yesterday, I think we would, and should, welcome him with open arms.

Another good reason to have Burls and Z: they both can go 8 innings per outing (translation: NO BULLPEN except for Jenks).

DickAllen72
06-23-2007, 09:23 AM
I would sign Zambrano and make him the DH on the days he isn't pitching.

He is batting .273 which puts him 65 points higher then our best hitter.:mad:
:thumbsup:

jabrch
06-23-2007, 09:32 AM
If we have that kind of money to spend on a pitcher for a long term deal, I'd rather spend it on Mark.

I just don't see us signing a 5+ year, 75+MM deal to any SP.

vegyrex
06-24-2007, 08:21 AM
No, no, no, no.

Besides, will he even consider a three year contract?

I don't think so.

tebman
06-24-2007, 08:45 AM
Choose your answer from the following:

A) Inconsistent
B) Hothead
C) Uncoachable
D) Disruptive
E) A & D
F) B & D
G) All of the above

kittle42
06-24-2007, 10:35 AM
If Zambrano was on any team but the Cubs, the theme of this thread would be very, very different. I mean, there's a thread here advocating the Sox getting Dukes.

Zambrano is a great pitcher. I can't stand his skypointing, but if we put up with Albert Belle and the rest of the hated '90s Indians I've had to cheer for, I could cheer for Carlos, too.

SBSoxFan
06-25-2007, 10:23 AM
If Zambrano was on any team but the Cubs, the theme of this thread would be very, very different. I mean, there's a thread here advocating the Sox getting Dukes.

Zambrano is a great pitcher. I can't stand his skypointing, but if we put up with Albert Belle and the rest of the hated '90s Indians I've had to cheer for, I could cheer for Carlos, too.

I don't think the Sox are looking to put up with anymore Albert Belle or Jose Paniagua types ... ever again.