PDA

View Full Version : Here's a dumb idea...

WhiteSox5187
06-22-2007, 09:09 PM
This is a stupid idea, but would anyone here mind seeing Kerry Wood in a White Sox uniform? His career is probably shot, but seeing as how Kenny loooves to get guys real cheap and hope to catch lightening in a bottle, why not? We could get him real cheap (and I mean real cheap) and if he stays healthy the potential upside is enormous. Just curious to what you guys think about it. My brother shrugged at the idea and said "When healthy he couldn't possibly be any worse than any of the other guys we have there."

JB98
06-22-2007, 09:12 PM
This is a stupid idea, but would anyone here mind seeing Kerry Wood in a White Sox uniform? His career is probably shot, but seeing as how Kenny loooves to get guys real cheap and hope to catch lightening in a bottle, why not? We could get him real cheap (and I mean real cheap) and if he stays healthy the potential upside is enormous. Just curious to what you guys think about it. My brother shrugged at the idea and said "When healthy he couldn't possibly be any worse than any of the other guys we have there."

You're right. That is a stupid idea.

Sorry.

WSox597
06-22-2007, 09:18 PM
I would hope the Aardsma experiment puts an end to trading for Cubs castoffs.

If they can't make in the most dysfunctional team since the Manson family, why do we want them?

So Coop can work his magic? Yeah, maybe the magic is gone. MacDougal, Sisco, Aardsma, and now Thornton beginning to stink might mean the magic was in someone's imagination.

Pass on Balsa Wood and his trick arm, shoulder, whatever the hell it is.

veeter
06-22-2007, 09:18 PM

Sorry.We're all just a little desperate.

mwc44
06-22-2007, 09:33 PM
...but would anyone here mind seeing Kerry Wood in a White Sox uniform?

No thank you. We've had enough disappointment and frustration already this year.

WhiteSox5187
06-22-2007, 10:42 PM

Sorry.
I agree it is not totally logical...and is, well, stupid. But it's one of those things where I'm looking around and thinking "Christ, can't SOMEBODY help this god damned bullpen?" And Wood's name popped into my head. I've met him before and he is a real great guy. It's too bad what has happened to him. His career is over.

Boondock Saint
06-23-2007, 12:41 AM
"Christ, can't SOMEBODY help this god damned bullpen?"

Balsa Wood isn't even helping his own team's bullpen this year so far.

RadioheadRocks
06-23-2007, 01:43 AM
Thornton beginning to stink???????

MRM
06-23-2007, 02:27 AM

Yep. Stupid idea. For starters his contract is over after this season IIRC. Don't need a trade. I might take a flier on Prior for the right price, though...

I would hope the Aardsma experiment puts an end to trading for Cubs castoffs.

If they can't make in the most dysfunctional team since the Manson family, why do we want them?

Ever heard of a guy named Jon Garland? THAT'S why.

santo=dorf
06-23-2007, 04:56 AM
Sure, why not? A lot of people around here love the Erstad signing and expect Pods to turn around this team. What's the problem in signing an injury prone player and cry how the season is unfair when he goes on the DL?

MRM
06-23-2007, 05:36 AM
Sure, why not? A lot of people around here love the Erstad signing and expect Pods to turn around this team. What's the problem in signing an injury prone player and cry how the season is unfair when he goes on the DL?

Why don't you try to tell the truth once in a while?

Nobody "loved" the Erstad signing. Did people like it? ABSOLUTELY. With Pods coming off surgery and the book still out on Anderson combined with getting Darin for $1mil, it was a very good signing. I don't recall anyone claiming it to be the move that was going to put the Sox in the world series.

Show me the single person who thinks Pods coming back will turn the team around. C'mon, just ONE.

There is NO SUCH THING as "an injury prone player". That's the biggest misconception in sports. In 10 full seasons Erstad has had at least 500 ABs 7 times and one of the 3 he didn't, he had 495. 2003 and 2006 are the only two years where he spent significant time on the DL.

But lets not let FACTS get in the way of a good old fashioned "I told you so"

WSox597
06-23-2007, 08:19 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, oh all-knowing font of baseball knowledge, but Garland was a minor leaguer when the Sox obtained him for Matt Karchner.

He was a minor league prospect, but being a prospect and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee usually.

I'd rather avoid any of their major leaguers that have already failed with them.

santo=dorf
06-23-2007, 10:11 AM

Nobody "loved" the Erstad signing. Did people like it? ABSOLUTELY. With Pods coming off surgery and the book still out on Anderson combined with getting Darin for $1mil, it was a very good signing. I don't recall anyone claiming it to be the move that was going to put the Sox in the world series.

Show me the single person who thinks Pods coming back will turn the team around. C'mon, just ONE.

There is NO SUCH THING as "an injury prone player". That's the biggest misconception in sports. In 10 full seasons Erstad has had at least 500 ABs 7 times and one of the 3 he didn't, he had 495. 2003 and 2006 are the only two years where he spent significant time on the DL.

But lets not let FACTS get in the way of a good old fashioned "I told you so"
Go back and search the Erstad signing. tomgordon1 said it made up for KW's lackluster offseason. He even felt that Erstad could "easily hit .300."

In "the best move of the offseason thread" Munchman33 called it "the steal of the offseason."

...and I don't know why you say " I don't recall anyone claiming it to be the move that was going to put the Sox in the world series." because I didn't say some Sox fans were expecting Erstad to take us back to the WS.

KW and management were quote as waiting on the returns of Podsednik and Erstad before deciding this team's future. That OBVIOUSLY means KW and crew believe that Pods and Erstad are very significant to this team, and their performances can keep the Sox's season alive. Therefore KW and the coaches think Pods' (and Erstad's) contributions could turn this team around. People here think KW is infalliable, so he must be right. I think Pods will be an upgrade in the OF, but this team is so far behind and the bullpen is just terrible.

No such thing as an injury prone player? Please. Pitchers have mechanics that affect their ligaments, shoulders, elbows, legs, etc. They can control that. Guys like Erstad and Rowand who play recklessly end up getting hurt because they just had to run into a wall. They can control that situation.

...and it's not "I told you so." It's "I've been telling you for the past 5 months, and you're still making excuses and not listening."

Get a grip and get your facts straight.

Per the Score he is starting today the 23rd. Im caling it..... We will turn things around!! I can only hope :gulp:
http://www.turboninjas.com/gallery/d/3255-2/Owned_Gun.jpg

kaufsox
06-23-2007, 10:20 AM

There is NO SUCH THING as "an injury prone player". That's the biggest misconception in sports.

There have been a lot of people stating that getting pods back is going to turn things around, some even arguing with me that he is an "impact" player. I think he can add a spark, but his presence will not make this team a playoff contender. So, I agree with your sentiment but there are a LOT of people who have a misplaced faith in Scott Pods. Second, how is injury prone a misconception? Kerry Wood definitely seems prone to injury. Ken Griffey Jr?

tick53
06-23-2007, 10:39 AM
Sorry 5187 we already have enough china dolls on this team. I might have agreed with it a year or two ago. Hermie may have been able to rehab him then but now, I think he's beyond even Dr Pain's help.

WhiteSox5187
06-23-2007, 01:59 PM
Yep. Stupid idea. For starters his contract is over after this season IIRC. Don't need a trade. I might take a flier on Prior for the right price, though...

I would rather have Wood than Prior...trading for him would be stupid, but what if we offered him say a minor league contract? Would that be a good idea?

miker
06-23-2007, 02:02 PM
I'd rather have Wilbur Wood than either of them!

AnkleSox
06-23-2007, 06:40 PM
yeah this season's really making people go certifiably insane.

Grzegorz
06-24-2007, 06:40 AM
This is a stupid idea, but would anyone here mind seeing Kerry Wood in a White Sox uniform?

Yes, I would mind... :D:

vegyrex
06-24-2007, 09:32 AM
Yep, its a crazy idea.