PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 6-23

Lip Man 1
06-22-2007, 11:04 AM
June 23, 1956 - It’s the first of the two great fights on the field between Yankee and White Sox players. (Almost one year later was the second one on June 13, 1957.) In this one Bob Grim (the late uncle to current Sox director of business development and broadcasting Bob Grim) threw one high and tight to Sox outfielder Dave Philley in the home half of the 6th inning. The ball glanced off Philley’s shoulder and bounced into his batting helmet knocking it off. Philley charged the mound as the benches and bullpen’s emptied. Both players swung at each other and both players (fortunately) missed, as the rest of the teams held each other back. Order was restored after about twenty minutes. Philley was tossed from the game. Grim allowed to stay in but perhaps shaken, he was tagged for two runs...the only runs of the day in the Sox 2-0 win.

June 23, 1958 - The Sox purchase the contract of pitcher Omar "Turk" Lown from the Reds. Lown and teammate Gerry Staley (also acquired via the purchase route) would give the Sox one of the top bullpens in baseball during the late 50's / early 1960's. They were especially effective during the 1959 championship season.

June 23, 1963 - Sox catcher J.C. Martin set an American League record by being involved in three double plays in a 2 - 0 loss at Cleveland. Martin had two strike em’ out, throw em’ out ones and was also in the middle of a third base to catcher to first base one. His record would later be tied by another Sox catcher Ed Hermann. And in both cases the Sox would lose the game!

http://i2.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/a5/6e/6b8a_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/1961-T-424-Turk-Lown-Chicago-White-Sox_W0QQitemZ320128166646QQihZ011QQcategoryZ60489Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohost ing) http://i20.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/a5/9b/318b_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/1961-TOPPS-124-J-C-MARTIN-WHITE-SOX-NRMINT_W0QQitemZ190124168613QQihZ009QQcategoryZ604 89QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotoh osting)

Lip

Hitmen77
06-22-2007, 11:52 AM
June 23, 1963 - Sox catcher J.C. Martin set an American League record by being involved in three double plays in a 2 - 0 loss at Cleveland. Martin had two strike em’ out, throw em’ out ones and was also in the middle of a third base to catcher to first base one. His record would later be tied by another Sox catcher Ed Hermann. And in both cases the Sox would lose the game!

Lip

This sounds like a record for Paulie to shoot for. :redneck

Paulwny
06-22-2007, 01:44 PM
Without Lown and Staley the sox never see the 59 WS. Great one two punch.

PaulDrake
06-22-2007, 02:05 PM
Without Lown and Staley the sox never see the 59 WS. Great one two punch. You beat me to it. Oh, for a bullpen have as good as that one.

Lip Man 1
06-22-2007, 06:37 PM
Just to be clear on J.C.'s record...he was catching at the time that he was part of the double plays...not hitting.

Same as Herrmann.

Lip

Lip Man 1
06-22-2007, 06:38 PM
Paul:

I'd kill to have as good a bullpen as the editions from 1963 through 1967 or 1990!

Lip

Brian26
06-22-2007, 08:03 PM
Paul:

I'd kill to have as good a bullpen as the editions from 1963 through 1967 or 1990!

Lip

Yep, that '90 bullpen was the best I've ever seen. Thigpen, The Pope, and the Vulcher from the right side. Patterson, Edwards and Rad from the left.

However, as a testament to why a good bullpen is sometimes lightning-in-a-bottle, take a look at those six guys and how much longer they sustained success in the majors. Thigpen was done a as closer by the end of '92, Jones never really had any major success in Montreal, the Pope hung on for a few years and went to the Cubs, Patterson and Edwards were never really heard from again either....that's why I don't blame Kenny for what happened this year, and I don't give him too much credit for the '05 squad.

WhiteSox5187
06-22-2007, 08:06 PM
Yep, that '90 bullpen was the best I've ever seen. Thigpen, The Pope, and the Vulcher from the right side. Patterson, Edwards and Rad from the left.

However, as a testament to why a good bullpen is sometimes lightning-in-a-bottle, take a look at those six guys and how much longer they sustained success in the majors. Thigpen was done a as closer by the end of '92, Jones never really had any major success in Montreal, the Pope hung on for a few years and went to the Cubs, Patterson and Edwards were never really heard from again either....that's why I don't blame Kenny for what happened this year, and I don't give him too much credit for the '05 squad.
When you really think about it, how many great bullpens can you name that have had sustained success? The Yankees always have Rivera, but the setup guys change on a yearly basis. I'd really have to sit down and think about this. I mean like the same guys having success year in and year out

Lip Man 1
06-22-2007, 08:32 PM
Brian:

You forgot about Radinsky on your list from that 90 club.

But as far as great bullpens, the Sox ones in the 60's were absolute killers. I'm talking 'you better have the lead after six cause if not, it's over.'

From 63 through 67 they had guys like Hoyt Wilhelm, Jim Brosnan, Eddie Fisher, Don Mossi, Bob Locker, Wilbur Wood and Don McMahon.

Absolutely killer bullpens.

WSox 5187 -- Well San Diego has had a few of the same guys the past few years and the Angels with Shields and Rodriguez have been together for five years.

In fact here's a little number for you. The Angels record when leading after the 8th inning the past few seasons...114 wins...and zero losses!

Lip

Brian26
06-22-2007, 08:39 PM
Brian:

You forgot about Radinsky on your list from that 90 club.

I remembered him...I called him "Rad". The great thing about that bullpen is that they are almost more memorable than the starting rotation for that year's team.