PDA

View Full Version : The (+) and (-) of Sox-Mariners 4-1-02

HawkDJ
04-01-2002, 07:45 PM
Feel free to add or change something but this is my analysis. I'll try to do this every game I watch.

(+) Mark Buehrle- did he look good or what?

(+) Damaso Marte- gave up a big hit but I thought he looked great

(+) Antonio Osuna- Again, his stats won't show it but I thought he had a positive outing.

(+)Bob Howry- Only one batter but he got us out of a huge jam

(+) Paul Konerko- Keeping up that hot streak from ST. Scored 1 and knocked in 2. I kept him here even though he had a big error.

(+) Carlos Lee- Scored 2 runs and knocked in 1. Almost had 2 homers.

(+) Sandy Alomar Jr.- A clutch hit to get our offense started. Pretty good D too.

(+) Ray Durham- 3 walks. Enough said.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
(-) Gary Glover- looked terrible out there and almost blew it. Konerko error didn't help but still didn't pitch well.

(-) Magglio Ordonez- Hitless and left 4 men on base

(-) Frank Thomas- Just one hit today. I was dissapointed with the Big Hurt seemingly popping it up every at bat.

(-) Keith Foulke- That's right, even though he got the save I put him here. He may look good in getting out of a jam but he should never have put himself in the jam. He won't get out of it every time.

(-) Jerry Manuel- Some questionable decisions

(-) Royce Clayton- Starting the year off like last year. I don't bash him like you guys do but not a good performance today. Not too great defense either.

cheeses_h_rice
04-01-2002, 07:53 PM
I was at work and/or commuting 'til the 6th inning or so, so I didn't "see" much of the game.

But I was very relieved to see Marte, with his tiny frame, going up there and throwing some smoke. Hawk and DJ were saying that his fastball doesn't have much movement on it, but that if he can locate it well with his funky delivery, he'll be effective. I thought he looked good today; that double past Valentin maybe should have been snagged down the line.

Osuna, too. Great to see him plowing through batters.

Frank looked bad each time I saw him at the plate.

Maggs just missed a huge 3-run homer, so I can't say he looked bad.

Konerko looks locked in.

Carlos didn't miss any of it on his HR.

Sox defense was not that hot. Royce missed a diving grab (iffy call), Jose missed the double down the line, Konerko muffed a grounder which almost led to them losing the game. They need to work on that stuff.

Did Ray have 2 BBs today? If so, that's great news.

Best of all was our ace getting the run support he needed, and not being rattled pitching in such a big game at such a young age.

Overall, I'm very happy. I had this terrible hunch they were going to lose 10-2 today.

HawkDJ
04-01-2002, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

Nope. 3 :D: I should add that to my + side.

danman31
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
(+) Damaso Marte- gave up a big hit but I thought he looked great

(+) Antonio Osuna- Again, his stats won't show it but I thought he had a positive outing.

(+)Bob Howry- Only one batter but he got us out of a huge jamMarte did look good. Osuna didn't look good and Howry was well Howry, but he did do his job.

duke of dorwood
Much more pluses for sure. I am glad its over and I bet they are glad they dont have to travel again tonight

jklm
04-01-2002, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Frank looked bad each time I saw him at the plate.

Usually, immobile DH/1B do not age well but I hope with his excellent batting eyes, Big Frank will be an exception.

Ray Ray had 3 walks today... usually when he is that patient, his hits will come... I predict he will have a very good year (law of average + contract year)

Mathew
04-01-2002, 08:02 PM
My dad was outside knocking snow off his satalite dish in the top of the 7th and lost the picture, so I drove to the bar, by the time I convinced them to put CWS game on(Blue Jays game already over) it was 6-1 so I went back home to see if the dish was back yet and it was 6-5, I had to close my eyes for the ninth but we made it.

SoxRulecubsdrool
04-01-2002, 08:23 PM
My guy Glover looked terrible. Clayton looked like he did last April. Big Frank looked like Big Frank of the playoffs. I needed a drink late in the game.

MikeKreevich
04-01-2002, 08:55 PM
If someone knows who the White Sox set up man is, would you please tell me.

RichH55
04-01-2002, 09:05 PM
Ray is going to have a big year....contract year, mind you...but big...but saying it for awhile now

bjmarte
04-01-2002, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Guzman's Goat

Better yet, sombody tell the set up man.

czalgosz
04-01-2002, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Guzman's Goat

It should be Osuna and/or Marte, but who knows what's in Jerry's head?

doublem23
04-01-2002, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

It should be Osuna and/or Marte, but who knows what's in Jerry's head?

WSI does!!! (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=9)

cornball
04-02-2002, 06:02 AM
Whew!!! great game... I thought Marte looked great...but it is a long year..the concern i have, is the defense...Kornerko and Valentine can not let a ball get between them and the line late in the game...and Clayton has to hold has to knock that ball up the middle down in late innings....we need to improve the "D" the staff is too fragile at this point. But winning cures all!!!

GO SOX

Clarkdog
04-02-2002, 02:51 PM
Offense: Liked the way the lineup is working the count, taking pitches and protecting. Garcia didn't have a single strikeout which means the Sox were looking to make good contact, instead of swinging for the fences like the did during the rut of 2001. Let's hope that trend continues. Worried about Frank. Let's see how he reacts to Moyer tonight, he usually eats him alive.

Defense: Valentine should have been protecting the line against Guillen, he may have thought he was but it will take some time to completely get used to third as an everyday position. Konerko should have had that ball in the 8th. Clayton could have had that ball he extended for, but a play like that is 50/50.

Pitching: Glover - YIKES! He's not a set up guy, move him to long relief and give the ball to someone else, he clearly doesn't have the mentality for a pressure situation like that since he sould not hit the strike zone. Osuna - liked what I saw, he'll be extremely tough if he can throw that change for a strike, he just wasn't locating last night. Marte - Nice pop on the fastball, that wind up lulls you to sleep and then the ball is on you. That K on Olerud was big. He needs to throw that slider for a strike, otherwise they will sit on his fastball ala Alan Embry. Buerlhe: That was Cy Young stuff, he dominated after settling in. With and outing like that, and this offense he could have 20 wins by August.
Overall: B-

Chisox353014
04-02-2002, 05:01 PM
A minor positive: Dave Wills was doing play-by-play on the radio broadcast. Get him and Rooney together and dump "Farmio"!

bjmarte
04-02-2002, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Chisox353014
A minor positive: Dave Wills was doing play-by-play on the radio broadcast. Get him and Rooney together and dump "Farmio"!

Yea, I thought he did a good job too.

chisoxfanatic
04-02-2002, 06:57 PM
I'd say that the positives were Konerko, Carlos, and Buehrle, while the negatives was our bullpen. Hopefully we don't have to deal with having to use Rolaids during every 9th inning!

Heather the Redbird