PDA

View Full Version : Elijah Dukes?

getonbckthr
06-21-2007, 06:44 PM
Yes the guy in a mental midget and has more kids than probably the rest of the DRays combined however supposedly Tbay is asking for next to nothing for him. I say we should get him. Buy extremely low and possibly if he can cool himself cash in jackpot.

Risk
06-21-2007, 06:47 PM
No thanks. It's bad enough to deal with the Sox already bull**** play. The last thing the Sox need is to deal with Dukes' off-field bull****.

Risk

chaerulez
06-21-2007, 06:48 PM
Why don't we just ask Pacman Jones to give baseball a try and sign him to a minor league deal for the rest of the year?

Your idea is just as brillant as the setence I just typed above.

spiffie
06-21-2007, 07:11 PM
I want them to trade for Dukes, sign Milton Bradley, and trade for Michael Barrett. If we're going to suck, let's at least have every day be fun and full of potential for psychotic breakdowns and felonious assaults.

Slats
06-21-2007, 07:56 PM
No.

No.

No.

jdm2662
06-21-2007, 08:17 PM
In a word, no. The last thing the Sox need is bad PR. Their piss poor play is enough to handle...

rocky biddle
06-21-2007, 08:46 PM
Look at it this way- The Windsock would regurgitate column after column incessantly bashing Dukes. Eventually Dukes will get pissed and do something stupid (act the fool, if you will). While not advocating violence, at the very least the Windsock might leave town or be forced into hiding.

Therefore, I think acquiring Mr. Dukes might be a terrific idea.

kittle42
06-21-2007, 08:49 PM
This is terrible, this idea.

sox1970
06-21-2007, 09:01 PM
No chance in hell Kenny Williams gets him.

EMachine10
06-21-2007, 09:11 PM
He's only batting like .200. Sure, he hits a lot of home runs, but.......

:LTPwhy not him?

cws05champ
06-21-2007, 09:23 PM
Dukes is getting himself in trouble at minor league stops and in Tampa!! What the hell would he get into in a city like Chicago? Pass!!!

hi im skot
06-21-2007, 09:28 PM
http://www.progets.com/simpsons/pics/the%20comic%20book%20guy%20pondering.gif

"Worst. Idea. Ever."

UserNameBlank
06-21-2007, 09:33 PM
If Dukes threatened to hit the baseball as often as he threatens to hit women maybe his batting average would climb a few points.

I want no part of him. I hope they ban this guy from baseball for life. Sooner or later he'll do something that will force TB's hand, even though it is apparent they are content with doing nothing.

Here's a bit of advice for Rays management:
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:sSN1ez-QrwdXzM:http://www.tvsquad.com/media/2006/05/bob1a.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.tvsquad.com/media/2006/05/bob1a.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.tvsquad.com/2006/05/16/john-c-mcginley-the-tv-squad-interview/&h=267&w=250&sz=10&hl=en&start=2&sig2=GJBkDvdGaLMU7iK5ftp-bw&tbnid=sSN1ez-QrwdXzM:&tbnh=113&tbnw=106&ei=qCZ7RviANpK6iQHXqLCwDg&prev=/images%3Fq%3Doffice%2Bspace%2Bbob%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp %3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN)
"It's better to fire someone on a Friday. That way there's less of a chance of an unfortunate incident."

WhiteSox5187
06-21-2007, 10:08 PM
Here's a bit of advice for Rays management:
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:sSN1ez-QrwdXzM:http://www.tvsquad.com/media/2006/05/bob1a.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.tvsquad.com/media/2006/05/bob1a.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.tvsquad.com/2006/05/16/john-c-mcginley-the-tv-squad-interview/&h=267&w=250&sz=10&hl=en&start=2&sig2=GJBkDvdGaLMU7iK5ftp-bw&tbnid=sSN1ez-QrwdXzM:&tbnh=113&tbnw=106&ei=qCZ7RviANpK6iQHXqLCwDg&prev=/images%3Fq%3Doffice%2Bspace%2Bbob%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp %3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN)
"It's better to fire someone on a Friday. That way there's less of a chance of an unfortunate incident."
Haha...

Do I want Elijah Dukes here? Sure, i think Cook County Prison would be a wonderful place for him to stay.

MUsoxfan
06-21-2007, 10:15 PM
I want them to trade for Dukes, sign Milton Bradley, and trade for Michael Barrett. If we're going to suck, let's at least have every day be fun and full of potential for psychotic breakdowns and felonious assaults.

Then hire Shawn Kemp as a player morality consultant

DumpJerry
06-21-2007, 11:12 PM
Dukes takes the admonishment "you kids at home, don't try this" to a new level.

tebman
06-22-2007, 08:56 AM
I would like to say, because I don't think it's been said enough:

No.

Dukes, Zambrano, Barrett, Delmon Young -- these are men who need professional help (or a restraining order) and not a roster position on the White Sox.

spiffie
06-22-2007, 10:42 AM
Awesome! We can replace Greg Walker with Calvin Murphy too!

SOXPHILE
06-22-2007, 01:32 PM

Don't forget Larry Johnson and Larry Bird can help out too...

FedEx227
06-22-2007, 02:15 PM
Don't forget Larry Johnson and Larry Bird can help out too...

Vin Baker can be the team chauffeur.

thomas35forever
06-22-2007, 03:50 PM
Vin Baker can be the team chauffeur.
Isiah Rider can conduct the AA meetings for players who need 'em.

bridgeportcopper
06-26-2007, 03:26 PM
Farmio said during last night's game that the Rays' minor league affiliates in AA and AAA won't take him and they may have to lend him to another organization.

getonbckthr
07-06-2007, 06:44 PM
When did we become one of "MLBtrade rumors" reliable sources?:D:
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2007/07/white-sox-inter.html

UserNameBlank
07-07-2007, 01:19 AM
I can't imagine any of this is serious. KW could not conceivably consider denying a NTC to the best teammate ever and then go out and get this guy.

Man, imagine how many threads an OF of Anderson-Erstad-Dukes would start at WSI! :o:

sircaffey1
07-07-2007, 01:41 AM
Why not make a move for Dukes? If TB is asking so little, why wouldn't you give him a shot in a new organization? If he messes up, you release him. If he doesn't, you just acquired one of the more talented young OF in the game. This isn't like trading for Barrett or Bradley where there's financial responsibility involved. Dukes is very cheap, and the reward is far greater than any risk.

UserNameBlank
07-07-2007, 02:00 AM
Why not make a move for Dukes? If TB is asking so little, why wouldn't you give him a shot in a new organization? If he messes up, you release him. If he doesn't, you just acquired one of the more talented young OF in the game. This isn't like trading for Barrett or Bradley where there's financial responsibility involved. Dukes is very cheap, and the reward is far greater than any risk.
I'd strongly disagree with that. The greatest reward would be getting a young, cheap superstar player who suddenly develops an unselfish, professional team-first attitude for the first time in his life. The greatest risk would be getting a guy that kills his girlfriend. That's a pretty big risk and IMO is something that could hurt this franchise almost as bad as the Black Sox scandal. Maybe it's all talk from Dukes, but he did threaten to kill the girl. I wouldn't take that chance.

Besides, you are talking about an organization that is run by a GM who publicly blasted Jon Rauch for leaving a game early to have dinner with his family. No way in hell does Kenny all of the sudden abandon his philosophy on character and take the guy with the most baggage in baseball just to take advantage of what could possibly amount to a bargain.

SoxSpeed22
07-07-2007, 02:12 AM
After watching the latest display of a lack of heart/balls, this had to come sometime. After 2006, I thought this team could use a jerk in case something like Padilla beaning people for no good reason, happens. For his own survival, he has to leave the Tampa area for good. This is probably too high of a risk though.

oeo
07-07-2007, 02:25 AM
I can't imagine any of this is serious. KW could not conceivably consider denying a NTC to the best teammate ever and then go out and get this guy.

Man, imagine how many threads an OF of Anderson-Erstad-Dukes would start at WSI! :o:

These are the types of guys Kenny goes after. High risk, high reward...that's how we won in 2005. Now, none of those guys had character issues like Dukes does, but if the guy could straighten his life up, he would be a valuable piece.

This guy looks to be a complete **** up, though, so I don't know.

getonbckthr
07-07-2007, 09:59 AM
I'd strongly disagree with that. The greatest reward would be getting a young, cheap superstar player who suddenly develops an unselfish, professional team-first attitude for the first time in his life. The greatest risk would be getting a guy that kills his girlfriend. That's a pretty big risk and IMO is something that could hurt this franchise almost as bad as the Black Sox scandal. Maybe it's all talk from Dukes, but he did threaten to kill the girl. I wouldn't take that chance.

Besides, you are talking about an organization that is run by a GM who publicly blasted Jon Rauch for leaving a game early to have dinner with his family. No way in hell does Kenny all of the sudden abandon his philosophy on character and take the guy with the most baggage in baseball just to take advantage of what could possibly amount to a bargain.
Didn't hurt the Carolina Panthers.

UserNameBlank
07-07-2007, 10:12 AM
These are the types of guys Kenny goes after. High risk, high reward...that's how we won in 2005. Now, none of those guys had character issues like Dukes does, but if the guy could straighten his life up, he would be a valuable piece.

This guy looks to be a complete **** up, though, so I don't know.
Do you think Kenny would have still traded for Everett a second time if word got out that he sent a picture of a gun to Barney or Denver the Dinosaur? I guess it's possible, but I'd definitely bet against it if he left threatening messages on South Paw's answering machine.

All kidding aside, guys like Dukes with issues like Dukes never seem to change. You hear every once in a while about guys like Hamilton with drug issues or something overcoming the odds and getting their lives back on track, but people like Dukes who basically could care less about anyone else on the planet really don't change very much. If it were an immaturity situation or something I could understand it, but threatening to kill people and saying you are serious about it goes quite a bit beyond simple immaturity IMO. This guy's life is in a downward spiral and if I were in Kenny's shoes, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near the dude when he hits rock bottom.

UserNameBlank
07-07-2007, 10:23 AM
Didn't hurt the Carolina Panthers.
Different sport, different city, different set of circumstances. That William Ligue **** hurt the Sox pretty bad on it's own. Imagine how roasted the Sox would get if someone got killed or even badly beaten by one of their players.

Besides, does it even matter? Why would anyone want a person that behaves that way on the team? Seriously. Forget the numbers. Why would anyone in the world want someone who seemingly can impregnate the impregnable, someone who threatens his teammates, someone who says he's going to murder women? Why? Who would support an organization that would condone that ****?

Even if Dukes met with KW and said a bunch of crap about how he was only joking and never meant any harm, the fact is he still threatened to kill his girlfriend. He's still a nutcase. How many people do you know that, even as a joke, tell their loved ones that they are going to kill them? That's just messed the hell up. Personally I think Elijah should be banned from baseball for this ****. The game will move right along without skipping a beat if Dukes just disappears from the public eye. But he won't be banned because good ol' Bud Selig can't ever seem to see until Congress puts his glasses on for him.

hose
07-07-2007, 10:40 AM
I would have to say NO to Dukes, the guy would just be a major pain in the butt.

Dukes should have played football instead of baseball , he would have been a leading citizen as a Miami Hurricane.:D:

chisoxmike
07-08-2007, 08:32 PM
:KW
"He does not fit the mold of a player that we want in our organization."

http://measuringupblog.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/isaiah_thomas_2.jpg
"Does he have a jump shot?"

southside rocks
07-09-2007, 02:36 PM
Different sport, different city, different set of circumstances. That William Ligue **** hurt the Sox pretty bad on it's own. Imagine how roasted the Sox would get if someone got killed or even badly beaten by one of their players.

Besides, does it even matter? Why would anyone want a person that behaves that way on the team? Seriously. Forget the numbers. Why would anyone in the world want someone who seemingly can impregnate the impregnable, someone who threatens his teammates, someone who says he's going to murder women? Why? Who would support an organization that would condone that ****?

Even if Dukes met with KW and said a bunch of crap about how he was only joking and never meant any harm, the fact is he still threatened to kill his girlfriend. He's still a nutcase. How many people do you know that, even as a joke, tell their loved ones that they are going to kill them? That's just messed the hell up. Personally I think Elijah should be banned from baseball for this ****. The game will move right along without skipping a beat if Dukes just disappears from the public eye. But he won't be banned because good ol' Bud Selig can't ever seem to see until Congress puts his glasses on for him.

Agree one thousand percent.

miker
07-09-2007, 05:37 PM
Didn't the Sox sign an alleged wife-beater back in the early/mid-90s in the form of one Wil Cordero?

chisoxmike
07-09-2007, 05:45 PM
Didn't the Sox sign an alleged wife-beater back in the early/mid-90s in the form of one Wil Cordero?

Yes. But it was "The Drunk" who signed him, not Kenny.