PDA

View Full Version : Milton Bradley Designated For Assignment

Mr. White Sox
06-21-2007, 12:34 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I found this pretty surprising. He's a more-than-solid offensive producer when healthy.

per Rotoworld:
Athletics designated outfielder Milton Bradley for assignment.
Bradley had to have done something to really upset management and/or his teammates. Sure, the club was at least a little frustrated about his frequent injuries, but he was playing pretty well when he was able to take the field, batting .292/.373/.446 in 65 at-bats. Maybe the A's will be able to trade him for some relief help, though he'll have little value left now that the team has to move him. The Padres, Cardinals, Marlins, White Sox, Astros, Rangers, Braves, Yankees, Orioles and Mets are some of the possible contenders that could use him, and since he's making just $4 million and is a free agent at season's end, it wouldn't be a huge risk to bring him in.

Flight #24
06-21-2007, 12:39 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I found this pretty surprising. He's a more-than-solid offensive producer when healthy.

per Rotoworld:

Go get him. Can't cost that much in trade, and what do we really have to lose? If the joint combustibility of MB & Ozzie can counteract each other, maybe the Sox can get a useful player out of it.

WizardsofOzzie
06-21-2007, 12:40 PM
Couldn't make us any worse. Go for it Kenny

Scottiehaswheels
06-21-2007, 12:42 PM
Did they just use the words White Sox and contenders in the same sentence?

Mr. White Sox
06-21-2007, 12:46 PM

They also used Orioles, Rangers and Astros. Hey, it could happen!

sox1970
06-21-2007, 12:47 PM
No thanks. Play the kids.

CWSpalehoseCWS
06-21-2007, 01:39 PM
I'd rather have Terrero, he's cheaper and stays healthy.

Mr. White Sox
06-21-2007, 01:59 PM
I'd rather have Terrero, he's cheaper and stays healthy.

Terrero has a .687 career OPS, and Bradley has a career .784 OPS with an OPS above .800 the last three years. Sure, he gets injured more often than JD Drew's psyche, but I'd say he's worth a desperation flier if KW and the White Sox really think they can make a push this year.

Chez
06-21-2007, 02:30 PM
Not this year; no way. What's the biggest impact Bradley would have on the Sox this season; we win 2 more games than if we didn't have him? Maybe 3? He's not going to turn our season around. I'd rather give the AB's to Terrero or Sweeney.

UserNameBlank
06-21-2007, 02:46 PM
It depends on how cheap he comes. If he only costs an Oneli Perez or something, I'd say pick him up. Don't even play him either, strap him to the bench and duct tape his mouth shut. Just keep him alive on clubhouse food until the season is over so we can get a couple draft picks for him.

Edit: if a Bradley acquistion would spell the end of the Darin Erstad experiment I'd put up with him and whatever off-field garbage he can dish out. Just get these damn grinders out of here.

AzureJazzMan
06-21-2007, 03:53 PM
Milton Bradley was just DFA by the A's...Just thowing it out there, but, what about trying to pick him up. I know he's a headcase, and can stir it up. We could probably get him on the cheap, and he might be an entertaining fit in our outfield. He is a very solid player (when not injured) who could add a spark. He could be a pretty good lead off guy, with some pop in his bat, and speed on the basepaths.

Keep in mind, it is just a suggestion, and could make things exciting. :redneck

PalehosePlanet
06-21-2007, 03:57 PM
I like his athleticism but the last thing we need is an oft-injured psychopath.

russ99
06-21-2007, 04:00 PM
I like his athleticism but the last thing we need is an oft-injured psychopath.

Actually, he is exactly what the Sox need. He's probably the closest player to "Truthasaurus" Everett right now in numbers and attitude. He's got a medium sized contract, so we'd have to wait until the A's release him (DFAs run 10 days) to get him cheaply.

By then we'd know how the Erstad/Pods injury situations shake out.

Better Bradley than yet another Sox prospect who can't hit MLB pitching...

crazyozzie02
06-21-2007, 04:04 PM
Milton Bradley was just DFA by the A's...Just thowing it out there, but, what about trying to pick him up. I know he's a headcase, and can stir it up. We could probably get him on the cheap, and he might be an entertaining fit in our outfield. He is a very solid player (when not injured) who could add a spark. He could be a pretty good lead off guy, with some pop in his bat, and speed on the basepaths.

Keep in mind, it is just a suggestion, and could make things exciting. :redneck

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89324

you're a little late on reporting this one.

AzureJazzMan
06-21-2007, 04:05 PM
I was thinking that he could be rotated along with our other injured outfielders. Perhaps in rotating them it would help to alleviate some of the injury bugs that seem to crop up a lot lately.

As for him being psycho, that is where the fun might be. Considering that the clubhouse has been showing no signs of life. He might at least cajole some sort of response from the other guys, or opposing teams for that matter.

Viva Medias B's
06-21-2007, 04:05 PM
No.

Scottiehaswheels
06-21-2007, 04:08 PM
He might at least cajole some sort of response from the other guys, or opposing teams for that matter.Such as OG or AJ laying him out? Sure I could see that...

AzureJazzMan
06-21-2007, 04:09 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89324

you're a little late on reporting this one.

Ooops...my bad, I must have missed it..:redface:...I still think it might be worth a looksee.

MDF3530
06-21-2007, 05:20 PM
The only Milton Bradley I want in the Sox clubhouse is one attached to a board game.

Milton Bradley the baseball player is old and oft-injured. We already have enough of that type of player.

getonbckthr
06-21-2007, 05:26 PM
The only Milton Bradley I want in the Sox clubhouse is one attached to a board game.

Milton Bradley the baseball player is old and oft-injured. We already have enough of that type of player.
When did 29 become OLD?

MisterB
06-22-2007, 01:17 PM
When did 29 become OLD?

Yeah. If Bradley took Terrero's spot on the roster, he would still be our youngest outfielder. (Pods & Macko are 31, Erstad and Dye are 33)

That being said, injuries are still an issue. Bradley's had 5 trips to the DL in just a year and a half in Oakland. If healthy though, he'd likely outproduce anyone else we could call up to take the 4th outfielder spot. His career numbers are respectable, he's a switch hitter that hits a little better vs. lefties, so platooning with Erstad/Pods is doable. He has good speed and can swipe an occasional bag.

If he actually hits the waiver wire the Sox would (unfortunately) be 3rd in line to put a claim in, so we wouldn't have to give up anybody, although Texas would get first dibs and their OF situation is bad enough they might grab him.

SBSoxFan
06-22-2007, 01:24 PM
Yeah. If Bradley took Terrero's spot on the roster, he would still be our youngest outfielder. (Pods & Macko are 31, Erstad and Dye are 33)

That being said, injuries are still an issue. Bradley's had 5 trips to the DL in just a year and a half in Oakland. If healthy though, he'd likely outproduce anyone else we could call up to take the 4th outfielder spot. His career numbers are respectable, he's a switch hitter that hits a little better vs. lefties, so platooning with Erstad/Pods is doable. He has good speed and can swipe an occasional bag.

If he actually hits the waiver wire the Sox would (unfortunately) be 3rd in line to put a claim in, so we wouldn't have to give up anybody, although Texas would get first dibs and their OF situation is bad enough they might grab him.

How many games do the Sox have to lose in the next several days to move up to first in line?

redsand22
06-22-2007, 01:27 PM
My thoughts exactly!

Chicken Dinner
06-22-2007, 02:02 PM
Bradley is a nut basket. No thanks!!

soxinem1
06-22-2007, 03:18 PM
He's been dumped by the Expos for being a tool and a clubhouse cancer.

He's been dumped by the Indians for being a tool and a clubhouse cancer.

He's been dumped by the Dodgers for being a tool and a clubhouse cancer.

He's been dumped by the Athletics for being a tool and a clubhouse cancer.

So, why do we need him? Except to:

Pour http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:phI754uKkqqH1M:http://www.save-on-gas-prices.com/GAS-PUMP2.bmp (http://www.save-on-gas-prices.com/GAS-PUMP2.bmp) on the http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:QOgzAPwHWMnUJM:http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h211/pstblog/fire1.jpg (http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h211/pstblog/fire1.jpg)

Flight #24
06-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Beggars can't be choosers. Sox desperately need talent. Bradley has shown that at times, he can be effective. If he doesn't cost much, it's a chance that I don't see how the Sox can lose on. Worst case scenario, he flops, they suck (no change from present there), and both move on after the season. But if he can pull it together and find a fit with the team, you could find a guy who can actually hit well and play a decent OF.

The Sox should be investigating any and all potential avenues for talent, bar none.

sox1970
06-22-2007, 07:50 PM
Milton Bradley is now the Royals problem.

santo=dorf
06-22-2007, 09:44 PM
They're making a serious charge for 4th place! :anon:

salty99
06-22-2007, 10:10 PM

No he's not. The deal was voided because he suffered an oblique injury.

palehozenychicty
06-23-2007, 10:12 AM
No he's not. The deal was voided because he suffered an oblique injury.

Touche. :redneck