PDA

View Full Version : Would you cheer?

downstairs
06-21-2007, 10:06 AM
So Sosa hits 600, Barry rips homer after homer... and I always see the home crowd going nuts with almost zero booing. I sort of understand it, but then got to thinking.

Would you cheer for a milestone or other home run for a White Sox player if they were as obviously tangled in the steroid mess as Sosa and/or Bonds?

If Jim Thome did steroids during part of his career, would you cheer 500? Frank? Etc.

No home team crowd has turned on one of these superstars. Would White Sox fans in general?

ILuvThatDuck
06-21-2007, 10:08 AM
Root, root, root for the home team.

downstairs
06-21-2007, 10:16 AM
Root, root, root for the home team.

Even if they cheat? By the way, a lot of us boo the "home team" when they're playing like junk, you know...

My answer to the question is no, I would boo. These Texas and SF fans look like complete fools, and quite honestly make their cities look foolish by cheering.

Jaffar
06-21-2007, 10:21 AM
So Sosa hits 600, Barry rips homer after homer... and I always see the home crowd going nuts with almost zero booing. I sort of understand it, but then got to thinking.

Would you cheer for a milestone or other home run for a White Sox player if they were as obviously tangled in the steroid mess as Sosa and/or Bonds?

If Jim Thome did steroids during part of his career, would you cheer 500? Frank? Etc.

No home team crowd has turned on one of these superstars. Would White Sox fans in general?

If the White Sox signed a player like Bonds/Sosa/Giambi they would get booed every at bat regardless of the outcome. With that said, I don't know know how the fans would react had one of the teams superstars that teh fans already loved ended up in the middle of everything.

mrfourni
06-21-2007, 11:38 AM
I would like to think that I would boo, but until the situation arises, I'm not so sure. I still remember the Albert Belle and Wil Cordero eras on the southside, and, while not fan favorites, they certainly weren't booed every at bat for being complete *******s.

I realize neither were implicated in steroids, but the situations have some similarities.

soxfan13
06-21-2007, 11:48 AM
If the White Sox signed a player like Bonds/Sosa/Giambi they would get booed every at bat regardless of the outcome. With that said, I don't know know how the fans would react had one of the teams superstars that teh fans already loved ended up in the middle of everything.

No they wouldnt, you seem to forget Albert Belle.

areilly
06-21-2007, 11:49 AM

I'd like to think not, and as a previous poster pointed out we've been known to turn on our own for far less than PED whispers.

That said, I'm glad we're not busy finding out. While me may laugh at the SF, NYY, Texas, and Cubs fans, we all know we're already on the receiving end of enough potshots as it is.

PatK
06-21-2007, 11:54 AM

I seem to recall Sosa getting turned on, blamed for the 2004 Cubs flameout, and run town.

downstairs
06-21-2007, 12:40 PM
I seem to recall Sosa getting turned on, blamed for the 2004 Cubs flameout, and run town.

Sorta, but if you read a Cubs message board or talk to enough fans... most of them were very excited about #600 and Sosa in general.

I know, its absolutely nutty *AFTER* the dude left and HOW the dude left.

It would be like Sox fans still cheering on Albert Belle...

rdwj
06-21-2007, 12:58 PM
It would be like Sox fans still cheering on Albert Belle...

I still cheer every time he gets in legal trouble - does that count?

SOXPHILE
06-21-2007, 05:57 PM
No, I would not. I did not cheer Joey Belle, I booed wife beating Will Cordero in his short stint with the Sox, and in basketball, I, along with almost the entire United Center stood and booed John Starks in his few games with the Bulls. Scumbags and cheats are scumbags and cheats, no matter what team they play for. Congratulations Texas Ranger fans. Never really known for your baseball smarts, you all just joined Cubs fans as part of the legions of the Criminally Stupid by giving Sosa a standing ovation and curtan call.

getonbckthr
06-21-2007, 06:09 PM
I'm cheering for Bonds why wouldn't I cheer for a Sox player?

LongLiveFisk
06-21-2007, 09:15 PM
I don't think I'd boo but I probably wouldn't cheer either. I think I'd be indifferent.

MarySwiss
06-21-2007, 09:19 PM
I don't think I'd boo but I probably wouldn't cheer either. I think I'd be indifferent.
Agree. I could not have cared less about Shammy hitting his 600, and I expect to feel the same about Bonds passing Aaron. In my mind, these "achievements" will always be followed by an asterisk.

UserNameBlank
06-21-2007, 09:51 PM
No way. If the Sox brought in a known roider I'd write them angry emails and angrier letters.

Sox
06-21-2007, 11:21 PM
No, I would not. I did not cheer Joey Belle, I booed wife beating Will Cordero in his short stint with the Sox, and in basketball, I, along with almost the entire United Center stood and booed John Starks in his few games with the Bulls. Scumbags and cheats are scumbags and cheats, no matter what team they play for. Congratulations Texas Ranger fans. Never really known for your baseball smarts, you all just joined Cubs fans as part of the legions of the Criminally Stupid by giving Sosa a standing ovation and curtan call.

:nod::thumbsup: