PDA

View Full Version : Phil Rogers Is Truly An Idiot

chaerulez
06-20-2007, 11:35 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-070620rogers,1,2858535.column?coll=cs-home-headlines

Mods: If you feel this should be merged with the Sosa 600 HR thread, so be it, but I felt this column was so stupid it deserved it's own topic.

Some of Rogers' brilliant points:

-Sosa was never linked to steroids. Therefore all his accomplishments were clean and we should celebrate him.

-After all his former hitting coach and manager vouch for him. I'm sure that makes him innocent. Managers trying to be steroid apologists? Never!

-He was never supposed to be a home run hitter, so the fact he turned into one "naturally" we should marvel in him more.

-Sammy was so great he could only be friends with other millionares. He was too good to hang out with backups and scrubs. (I'm not making this up) I mean, Jim Thome, what a moron, he hangs out with teammates that make ten times less than him. The lesson here by Phil Rogers is that if you make a lot of money it's okay if you don't befriend your coworkers that don't.

-There was nothing wrong with his me first attitude that included sprinting out to the field and blowing kisses to the camera. After all it was popular and drew television ratings and because of him the Cubs outdrew the Sox in attendance, and well that's all that matters right?

I used to find Rogers to be okay before this season. Now to me, he's a complete fool. He first wrote about how you couldn't make the Garcia and McCarthy deals before the season started. He then tried to judge how well the trades were going after two months into the season and now he wrote recently how the trades were good. A little windsocking anyone? This column really takes it to a new level. It's sad that this guy gets a lot of money to write crap like this for an actual newspaper.

tebman
06-21-2007, 08:06 AM
I went to the link and read Rogers' column. I don't think he was apologiziing for Sosa really, but rather describing him as a deeply flawed character.

Sosa was a phony and a cheat. For me that's the bottom line. In 1998 I actually enjoyed watching McGwire and Sosa go after the homerun record because I thought it was legit. Some years later we learned that it wasn't: McGwire was medicated, and though nobody has proved (yet) that Sosa was, we do know that he was using a corked bat.

And the whole Sammy show played into the ballplayer-as-dancing-bear image that the Tribune's market base loves so much. Sosa's story isn't over yet, and years from now we might know a lot more. He's like a Shakespearean character, a narcissistic and self-indulgent type who falls from glory under a cloud. That's why the writers write about him.

eriqjaffe
06-21-2007, 09:21 AM
Sammy was so great he could only be friends with other millionares. He was too good to hang out with backups and scrubs. (I'm not making this up) I mean, Jim Thome, what a moron, he hangs out with teammates that make ten times less than him. The lesson here by Phil Rogers is that if you make a lot of money it's okay if you don't befriend your coworkers that don't.Phil is just rationalizing why Sammy would never go for coffee & pie with him.

russ99
06-21-2007, 11:42 AM
Once a Cubbie-apologist, always a Cubbie-apologist.

Still, Phil's gotten better the last few years and at least gives some fair coverage to the Sox.

Tragg
06-21-2007, 12:35 PM
Actually Sosa may be the only one among all of the usual suspects that is a proven, 100%, beyond a shadow of a doubt, cheater.

HotelWhiteSox
06-21-2007, 01:39 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-070620rogers,1,2858535.column?coll=cs-home-headlines

Mods: If you feel this should be merged with the Sosa 600 HR thread, so be it, but I felt this column was so stupid it deserved it's own topic.

Some of Rogers' brilliant points:

-Sosa was never linked to steroids. Therefore all his accomplishments were clean and we should celebrate him.

-After all his former hitting coach and manager vouch for him. I'm sure that makes him innocent. Managers trying to be steroid apologists? Never!

-He was never supposed to be a home run hitter, so the fact he turned into one "naturally" we should marvel in him more.

-Sammy was so great he could only be friends with other millionares. He was too good to hang out with backups and scrubs. (I'm not making this up) I mean, Jim Thome, what a moron, he hangs out with teammates that make ten times less than him. The lesson here by Phil Rogers is that if you make a lot of money it's okay if you don't befriend your coworkers that don't.

-There was nothing wrong with his me first attitude that included sprinting out to the field and blowing kisses to the camera. After all it was popular and drew television ratings and because of him the Cubs outdrew the Sox in attendance, and well that's all that matters right?

I used to find Rogers to be okay before this season. Now to me, he's a complete fool. He first wrote about how you couldn't make the Garcia and McCarthy deals before the season started. He then tried to judge how well the trades were going after two months into the season and now he wrote recently how the trades were good. A little windsocking anyone? This column really takes it to a new level. It's sad that this guy gets a lot of money to write crap like this for an actual newspaper.

All those points are ridiculous.
-Never linked: Umm, steroid hearings...and that incident where they found them in his car (something of that nature), and he ratted out his good friend.
-Coaches' praise: Dusty and Bonds, nuff said. Plus they want to win and don't want to break up that little MLB steroid code that appears to be pretty strong.
-'Naturally became' a HR hitter out of nowhere...umm yeah, doesn't need explaining

etc etc etc

No way someone can believe that, at that point you are either a complete puppet or aren't qualified to cover the sport if you need a reality check that big

Iwritecode
06-21-2007, 01:58 PM
Actually Sosa may be the only one among all of the usual suspects that is a proven, 100%, beyond a shadow of a doubt, cheater.

I would think Bonds admitting it should include him in the 100% no doubt club as well...

UserNameBlank
06-21-2007, 02:53 PM
I would think Bonds admitting it should include him in the 100% no doubt club as well...
And Giambi, too. Canseco, Camanitti, and Palmeiro as well obviously. So basically everyone at the party drinks the punch except Sosa. Yeah, right.

WSox597
06-21-2007, 04:22 PM
C'mon, give the guy some credit. Look how much better his English got after those hearings.

It was an amazing improvement. It's a miracle!!

He must have worked real hard on those English lessons.

chaerulez
06-21-2007, 05:13 PM
All those points are ridiculous.
-Never linked: Umm, steroid hearings...and that incident where they found them in his car (something of that nature), and he ratted out his good friend.
-Coaches' praise: Dusty and Bonds, nuff said. Plus they want to win and don't want to break up that little MLB steroid code that appears to be pretty strong.
-'Naturally became' a HR hitter out of nowhere...umm yeah, doesn't need explaining

etc etc etc

No way someone can believe that, at that point you are either a complete puppet or aren't qualified to cover the sport if you need a reality check that big

The car situation as I know it is, someone was driving a car owned by Manny Alexander and pulled over and steroids were found. Alexander was a good friend of Sosa (although ironically according to Rogers' Sosa can't be friends with utility infielders because he was too famous).

Lip Man 1
06-21-2007, 06:09 PM
Actually I believe it WAS Alexander driving in Chicago when he was with the Red Sox. The police searched the car and found steroids and syringes in the glove box.

Also don't forget Sammy reporting that ten grand in a brown paper bag was stolen out of his hotel room in Miami.

Lip

FedEx227
06-21-2007, 06:39 PM
Also don't forget Sammy reporting that ten grand in a brown paper bag was stolen out of his hotel room in Miami.

That was always my favorite.

Just because it's happen to so many of us, when you're just chilling in Miami with large amounts of paper-money in a brown paper bag... and then it gets stolen out of your hotel room.

minastirith67
06-21-2007, 07:24 PM
C'mon, give the guy some credit. Look how much better his English got after those hearings.

It was an amazing improvement. It's a miracle!!

He must have worked real hard on those English lessons.

:lol:

rocky biddle
06-21-2007, 07:34 PM
This reads like some kind of bogus wikipedia entry written by a delusional Sosa fan.

It's starting to sound like the "house organ" is paving the way for a Sosa re-acquisition.

slavko
06-21-2007, 07:51 PM
Sammy was smaller looking during his 2005 flop in Baltimore, but he's looking bigger now. Has he found something new and undetectable? There's been too much evidence presented on this site over the years (which I am not going to rehash) to believe otherwise.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-21-2007, 08:51 PM
Thank you.

I love how Phil manages to both set Sosa apart from all the steroid cheats we know for fact have juiced, and simultaneously declare his skepticism about the Flintstone vitamins bit, too. But Phil Rogers never gets around to admitting his OWN CULPABILITY for both of these things.

We have NOTHING on Scammin' Scammy-- the man who we know corked a bat-- to have ever cheated, too, with steriods... BECAUSE LOCAL SPORTS MEDIOTS LIKE PHIL ROGERS NEVER PUSHED HIM ON IT!!!!

It was the local sports mediots themselves making jokes about Flintstone vitamins! A first-class dope like Paul Sullivan was STILL MAKING Flintstone vitamin jokes even after the "no habla englese" congressional hearings.

And when a national writer from Sports Illustrated finally had the temerity to ask Scammin' Scammy to pee into a cup, not only did Soso blow his top, the local sports mediots piled on the writer for asking the question -- NOT THE ****ING CHEAT who was claiming he had nothing to hide!

Phil Rogers is one serious idiot if he thinks anyone is believing his bull**** anymore. He shot his credibility on this subject long ago.

kevin57
06-23-2007, 10:43 AM
Sammy was smaller looking during his 2005 flop in Baltimore, but he's looking bigger now. Has he found something new and undetectable? There's been too much evidence presented on this site over the years (which I am not going to rehash) to believe otherwise.

It's pretty obvious that the chemistry labs are staying one step ahead of MLB's policies. It's the ultimate collusion: the union won't allow for more testing and management really doesn't want to pursue the matter. :angry:

RadioheadRocks
06-23-2007, 09:24 PM
Once a Cubbie-apologist, always a Cubbie-apologist.

Still, Phil's gotten better the last few years and at least gives some fair coverage to the Sox.

Then he turns around and writes crap like that.